Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

This is a pretty nice, easily obtainable beer. One that has been in the past and easily could be a session choice for me. Pours an dark orange color topped with a moderate head and a pretty good amount of lacing on the glass. I prefer it out of the bottle vs on draft but both are good. The flavor is quite sweet with some fruits an extremely clean finish. Smooth, easy to drink. This is a beer I get often when out and not much is on the menu.

3.9/5  rDev +16.8%

Orange/amber color with a beige cap. Nice retention and good lacing. Unusual nose and slightly musty like old wood but hops do emerge. Good mouthfeel and quite smooth. Well balanced hops and malt without being notably one or the other though it does slide (as the aroma suggests) towards hops. Some hazelnut hints. Medium body and light to medium carbonation. Clean finish.

3.16/5  rDev -5.4%

I had this while playing games at Dave and Busters. It seemed pretty good to me!

A: Nice deep golden brew, with a 2 finger head that refused to quit. It stuck around.

S: Caramel malt and some alcohol

T: Lots of caramel up front, pushed beside by the toasty malts buried underneath. Tasted great! I love complex evolving tastes

M: Thick and rich. Feel good in my mouth and felt good going down

D: A little better than average. I'm a simple beer drinker, and this is much more complex than my usual fair; but, that doesnt mean I wont come back again =)

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Poured a nice orange/red with a choppy beige froth head and fair lacing.

Smells of faint sweet malt, a little hop leaf, and some buttery caramel notes.

Mild caramel flavor is pushed aside by the dry bread/toast elements of this beer. The moderate bitterness isn't all that strong either.

Finshes dry with a mild bitter aftertaste. No off notes or sour elements, and quite smooth. Just nothing in your face. Some may see this as watered down.

A drinker by far. You can hit these pretty hard and not get sick o them. On tap is superior, but the bottle stands up fine.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

Had this on tap last night at a local grill.

Poured a light tan with a finger of head. Head thinned out but stayed for the life. Lacing was pretty cool.

Smells of malt and nut, pretty light.

Taste is refreshing and solid. A bit of nut and earth, very light on the flavors all around and no flavor is overly strong or detectable.

Mouthfeel is nice. Carbonation is good and the beer is very refreshing.

Drinkabilty for me is good. I'm going to grab a 6'er of this this weekend and enjoy it camping. For reference I had this with a dinner of grilled chicken, pickles, and home made french fries. Outstanding.

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Grabbed a bottle from a little Mexican restuarant and boldly asked for a mug. Also ordered the chicken quesadilla. Had this for my second lunch beer, the first was a dud...

Good amber copper color. Small head, expected it to stay a little longer than it did. No bueno!

Smell? I dunno. Very light. Caramel?

Taste? Not bad by any means, but this is my first time with this beer and for some reason I expected more.

Would do in a pinch but I think there are too many better pale ales out there.

Finished the bottle. Maybe it's a little better than my first impression, but just a little.

Overall: decent yet uninspiring.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a clear dark amber color with a thin off white head.

Slightly hop in the aroma, and some bready malt.

Taste is ok. Malt dominant. Caramel and bread. really not that great.

Mouthfeel is medium to full bodied and lightly carbonated.

Drinkability is moderate. This beer has decent flavor and is easily sessionable.

2.76/5  rDev -17.4%

A - Clear copper with 2 finger off white head. Good retention, falling to a thick film and leaving lots of lacing.

S - Caramel malts, very mild, with a hint of vanilla and dark fruit.

T - Simple, but solid. Malt sweetness with a touch of caramel, raisin, and prune slowly dry out to reveal a mild, earthy hop bitterness. Slightly unpleasant grainy aftertaste.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, low to moderate carbonation.

D - drinkiability would be higher if it tasted better, simply. Not as good as I remember.

3.67/5  rDev +9.9%

Poured from a 1pt 3.25oz bomber into a tulip pint glass.

A - Clear amber color. Pour prodiced a thick and cream head of white foam. Soapy lacing clung to the glass throughout.

S - Malty, buttery aroma. Hints of caramel sweetness.

T - Malty with a creamy taste. Finished off bitter and slightly dry. SLight metallic taste also detected.

MF&D - The creamy taste makes this thin to medium body ale seem a bit fuller. Good session ale, I just wish the flavor was as big as the aroma.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from a 568ml bottle into nonic pint glass.

S - Caramel malts, very mild, with a hint of vanilla and dark fruit.

M - Smooth, medium bodied, low to moderate carbonation.

D - Easy drinking, a fairly mindless affair, but the sweetness deters after a few.

3.5/5  rDev +4.8%

A- Clear copper with small cream head.

A- Sweet caramel malt slight hop aroma.

T- Sweet malty taste with a caramel taste. Moderate bitterness, the water definitely gives an interesting complimentary note to the bitterness.

M- Light to medium body with light carbonation.

D- I've always enjoyed this beer in bars as long as the beer lines are clean, otherwise it can lead to some interesting tastes. The hard water used in this beer gives it an interesting taste.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

This is a very good "can't loose" ale, everytime I have one I really enjoy it. Pours a nice copper/amber color with a really good soft head. The aroma is sweet and malty. Gentle going down the hatch with a nice finish. The taste is very good, sweet and malty with a hint of some bittering hops. This is a good beer to enjoy with dinner, it goes with most dishes, and it easily available.

Pleasant aroma of caramelized malts, some earthy notes. Attrcative appearance, a reddish orange with a moderate white head, true to the style. Falvor is not remarkable, but is a good balance between caramel malts and grassy hops. The finish is appropraitely bitter. A perfectly acceptable beer, good on the railroad home after a long day.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

A: Poured a clear dark caramel-orange with a thin ivory layering that quickly disappeared. Visible carbonation was extremely soft, almost non-detect.

S: The nose had some sweet citrus, oranges and sweet caramel malting on it.

T: The initial flavor was citrusy with some dry caramel malting. There was a light dry flowery hopping as well that was soft and blended well with the dry caramel palate. Oveall a nice dry malting and flowery hopping making for a decent well balanced pale.

M: light-medium, softly carbonated and smooth in texture.

D: Sweet, dry and malty with a nice dry flowery hopping that's just enough to grab your attention makes this a decent session pale. Respectable drinkability.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%

12 oz. bottle into a clear party cup (all my glasses are dirty).

A- Dark gold with a creamy white head.
S- A very unique aroma, some mild hops, a little bit of caramel.
T- This pale ale is very different from other interpretations of the style I've had. That might be because it is an English Pale Ale, a style I am not as familiar with. The first thing I noticed was its creaminess. More malt than I am used to in a pale ale with mild hops. I also taste some caramel.
M- Very creamy, kind of thick.
D- While not necessarily my first choice for a session beer Bass is very drinkable and would be a solid choice for sessioning.

3.81/5  rDev +14.1%

this one pours an almost orange amber, this one reeks of malt, and dosent disapoint, huge malty flavor followed by big hops. this one makes the purfict black and tan, it is just a bit thiner than i care for and could use more hops for my taste but all and all i love this one.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

Coor is light to medium yellow
Pours with small to medium head
Aroma is noticable but not overwhelming

I use it in my Black and Tans and is my personal favorite mixed in that manner. I have trade other Lagers and ale's as my Tan but keep coming back to Bass.

Just recently I found myself drinking it solo and have found it to be a very drinkable beer with little to no after taste. I make sure it is on hand at all times.

Bass is a topic at most of our Beer Club meetings and usually ends in a split between Bass and Harp for which beer to be the Tan in our Black and Tans.

Very Good Beer!!

2.16/5  rDev -35.3%

Poured a appropriate cooper, white head dissipates quicky to a thin ring, no lace.

Aroma of nothing. A faint bit of spice and malt and a light buttery vegetal, very faint. Flavor, again very little noticable... a little astringent hop bitterness and a watered down malt profile...

I remember a better product, and this 6 pack was pulled out of a case sitting on a freshly arrived pallet at the suppermarket... my guess is it sat in a warehouse or two before it got to me, try and get this product fresh, it should be better than what I got.

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A nice amber colow with a finger or two of white head.

Very floral hoppy smell.

The hops hit the tongue to up front, but the malts balance it out nicely.

The beer left my mouth a little dry.

Definately a solid ale, I'd love to drink a few of these in a sitting.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

Had a few of these on tap this past weekend at Dillon's on Boylston Street. Poured into imperial sized pint glasses. Huge dark red color, no real head, only slight carbonation. Smell was of subdued hops. I enjoy drinking Bass, as I think it's a quality beer with a good flavor. My only two faults with it is a weird, almost thick, aftertaste I get in my mouth afterwards. And second, it's a bit on the heavy side for a somewhat hoppy beer. It's a good beer to grab when the selection sucks, but it's not one that I go after regularly.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

on tap at winking lizard in mentor, ohio

A Golden brown, minimal head

S some hops, mild, pleasing

T acidic, hoppy, pleasing, active and interesting

M full bodied

D really quite good.

Notes...I do not recall having Bass before this session and I was pleasantly surprised. Bass is not an advenurous beer but that is its strength. It is a very good staple beer that I think would go very well with a wide range of food. I will certainly not hesitate to get this again.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

A nice deep red colour with a thin head that dissipates slowly.

Not much in the aroma, some sweetness, sort of hoppy, meh nothing great.

Not impressed much by the taste either, sort of watery, sweet some caramel maybe - candy apple? Finishes somewhat bitter.

Okay beer but I would never have it again, nothing special.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

poured from the bottle into a pint glass

A- pours a nice copper reddish color with about a two finger head. Decent head retention and very nice lacing down the entire glass

S - smells a little malty with a hint of apple cider. Not a whole lot of smell here.

T - A bit of alcohol and apples on the nose followed by a malt dominated body with a hint of hops. The finish is this wonderful taste of apple cider and is the best part of this beer. The hops show their presents as the beer roles over the back of the tongue resulting in a sort of bitter sweet after taste. I wish there were a tad more hop presence in the body and a little less in the aftertaste.

M - good medium carbonation level and a nice medium mouth feel.

D - this is my first english pale ale is is a lot less bitter than many other pale ales. This makes it very drinkable and I love the apple cider finish. I like this beer a lot, but i'm not sure if I can justify spending $8.00 a six on it when there are so many other amazing beers out there in this price range. Maybe when a 12-pack is on sale...

3.51/5  rDev +5.1%

Disappointed...

Pours copper with some lacing. Smells of hops and malt, not much else. Watery taste with a little finishing bitterness. Lighter mouthfeel than anticipated. Watery taste = drinkable, but not necessarily enjoyble.

Overall not horrible, but definitly not worth the money.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

Appearance - dark orange, some head.

Smell - Sweet and malty.

Taste - Very smooth. For a pale ale it is crisp and light bodied.

Mouthfeel - Again, smooth. Sweet, slightly hopped.

Drinkability - Excellent

i would love to try this on tap.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited