Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

poor

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.23/5  rDev -3.6%

Very nice amber colour with small creamy head, that laces to the sides.

Aroma of hops and toasted grain malt.

Tastes very smooth and cream-like, with toasted malt. The hops is present but not over-bearing. Somewhat of a tea-like conistency, with light bitter aftertaste.

Not bad. What I usually opt for at a crappy Irish bar on the South Shore, here in Mass. Basic, but goes down nice. You could do a whole hell of a lot worse.

Freshie, Apr 28, 2006
3.13/5  rDev -6.6%

A - Pours a dark golden color, some carbonation, tiny head, not much lacing afterwards.

S - Scents of sweet malts and slight hops, caramel.

T - The taste is sweet and malty, slight hint of caramel.

M - Light-Medium body.

D - Drinkable. I guess English Pale Ales do not have as much hops as an APA, I believe this is my first EPA. Not a bad brew, but will most likely not buy again.

Wasatch, Apr 28, 2006
3.28/5  rDev -2.1%

This is my first review of a beer, so forgive the any lack of technical terms.

Appearance: could be due to a bad pour, but I thought the head on this beer was very weak. The color was a very nice looking amber color, although in my opinion, it looked a bit to clear and thin.

Smell: I didn't notice anything special about the smell. It smelt like you average big brand beer. In fact, it had somewhat of a skunky smell.

Taste: This beer had a slightly tangy/bitter taste. It was not quite what I expected, and tasted a bit more commercial than I hoped, but it definitely improved as I drank on.

Mouth feel: A very carbonated feel. It left quite an acid feel in my mouth.

Overall, this beer was a bit too carbonated for my taste, but better than many large labels readily available. For its price however, something better could certainly be found. This beer wouldn't be my first choice, but I am sure I will buy it again.

pibbxtrasucks, Apr 28, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured a golden brown with a good head and fair amount of lacing on the glass. Smell is OK, but this beer goes down smooth. The taste is of hops and malt -- has a slight kick to it, so if you're a Bud drinker, you may want to try this if you feel like something a little different. Mouthfeel is very good b/c of the fair amount of carbonation. This is definitely a session beer.

oldirtycaffrey, Apr 23, 2006
3.33/5  rDev -0.6%

Good color and head. Underwhelming smell. Quite a smooth taste. And not too much disturbance on the tongue going down. Smooth all around, and I don't think that's 100% a good thing here. It's just too blah, too boring. I'm just not excited by the taste. However, I definitely like this one better on tap than in the bottle.

JayTheFinn, Apr 20, 2006
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This one pours an amber gold color with amazing clarity. The head is dense and firm, lace thick and sticky.

Smell is somewhat floral with butterscotch notes and a grapefruit-like quality.

This is your benchmark English Pale Ale. The flavors are very well balanced. Creamy mouthfeel and oh so drinkable.

EvilKeith, Apr 17, 2006
3.3/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Had my pint of Bass on tap , at an irish pub/resturant - Dwyers.

Appearance : a clear amber color with a small white head.

Smell: some floral hop aromas and a soft , sweet maltiness

Taste: Mild , sweet malts , small amount of buttery diacetyl , some bittering leafy hop flavors , tinge of fruityness

Mouthfeel: meduim body with a crispness to the carbonation

Drinkability: not bad at all , quite sessionable

Byeast, Apr 16, 2006
4.08/5  rDev +21.8%

of course, as with most of us, this is one of those beers, like newcastle and Guinness, that bridges us from macros to micros, so its about time i give it a review

A - pours a dark reddish brown with a thin lacy tan head

S - has a musty,hoppy aroma that i have come to love over the years, also a slight citrus/tea twang

T - has a sweetness to it at first, like a vanilla flavor that abruptly shifts to a bitter hoppy finish, these flavors are balance very well

M - a medium bodied well balanced ale, very smooth and bitter all at once, a great and classic beer

D - high, i love thses, very easy to pound, even my girlfriend like Bass which says alot for its drinkability

sinstaineddemon, Apr 08, 2006
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Ok, inherited a 10 pack of various singles from a costco gift pack from a friend of mine that will only drink bud light.

I've had this beer b4 on tap at a Movie Theater in Austin that brings beer to you throughout the pic (one of the greatest things ever..)!

I had 4 or 5 of these pounders during the flick, and they were quite tasty off tap, so here goes with the bottle review.

Poured into a chalice, and virtually no head, the thin layer that was there on the pour faded rather quickly. There is no date on this bottle, but I'm wondering, considering how this was packaged how fresh it is (or isn't).

Aroma of malts, oats, maybe fig, orangish fruit, and mild hops.

Flavor was malts, brown sugar, and a mild hop finish. Not bad, but not as good as I remember the tap version to be. I'm pretty sure I'd be a full point higher if this was either fresher, or from a tap. Will have to locate it somewhere and review again at later date.

ReebShorts, Apr 03, 2006
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

354ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, orangey-copper colour. Beige head is 1/2 inch on the pour but recedes to a thin cap. Nice spiderweb of lacing.

Aroma is mostly malt with caramel and sweet highlights. Nicely balanced by a light hop undertone.

Malty and semi-sweet off the start with caramel and hops in the background. Sweetness fades in the middle as a light earthy undertone sneaks in. Finish is dry and lightly hop bitter with a definite mineral quality that probably comes from the hard water. Aftertaste has faint hops and a touch of minerals.

Thin-medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Mouthfeel could stand to be a bit fuller.

While this beer doesn't have the same character that other pale ales possess, it's still a pretty decent beer. I'd love to try some fresh on-tap as I'm sure it would stand up to some of the good pale ales we have on the local scene much better than this bottle does.

Noxious26, Mar 29, 2006
4.18/5  rDev +24.8%

Appearance: Poured from a pub pour can which yielded a nice 1 finger creamy head. The head receded quicker than I expected, but the lacing was phenomenal. The appearance was very clear and amber in color with sporadic tiny little carbonation bubbles surfacing to the top.

Smell: Sweet toffee and caramel malts.

Taste: Taste was a little more flat than the nose yielded, but still very good with a good dose of caramel malts. Earthy hops provide a nice balance to the sweetness and a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and buttery smooth.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, but tastes a little sweeter in the can than I remember from the bottle. A good solid English pale ale.

Schwarzbart, Mar 28, 2006
4.1/5  rDev +22.4%

appeared dark in color. not much head but again average.
a grainy smell with hint of caramel. very similar to penn dark but milder the mouthfeel was great i really enjoyed how it felt on my tongue. tasted like grain with a nice caramel flavoring. a real treat i will enjoy in the future, a great beer you can find anywhere

squish059, Mar 28, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -14%

poured from the "pub pour" can that falsely promised a thick and long lasting head. I tried my best to induce a head, only came up with about an eighth of an inch that quickly disapeared. Color was light copper with little to no lacing. I was unable to get much aroma out of this brew. Along with trying to pour a large head, I was also agitating the beer, but was unable to get any real aroma out of it. Taste was average. Smooth with hints of malt and hops, but nothing special when it comes to ales. Clean in the mouth. I don't think I'll buy this stuff again.

Avagadro, Mar 26, 2006
3.03/5  rDev -9.6%

Poured a copper color with a foamy white head.
Smell is of faint hops and malt, not too much here.
Taste is very malty with not very much hops, has a bitter aftertaste.
Has a good amount of carbonation goes down smooth.
This beer is not bad but not really one of my favorites either.

MrHolland, Mar 25, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +3%

"Bass, Bass, wir Brauchen Bass, Bass"

This beer isn't bad. Yeah, I can definately see diggin' this beer. Hoppy by American standards it ain't, but in terms of British beer I've had, the hops really shine through. Delicious.

On top opf the hops, the toffee qualities of the malt really shine though.

A yummy beer, all-in-all. I'd have it again. Ideally next time on an engine.

shbobdb, Mar 23, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +3%

Amber to orange/red in color with a pretty average head. The smell is mostly just malt and hops, not too weak or too strong. The taste is basically malty with some bitter hops to it. The mouthfeel is medium, highly carbonated. I think this beer lacks constancy sometimes, I've had really good batches and some that missed the mark. Recently, I was dining at a restaurant with a friend and the waitress (most likely accidentally) sold pitchers to us at the domestic special price of $3 a pitcher, same as the macro swill. Not only that, but for some reason the beer seemed especially sweet that night. Maybe it was just the price..

zjungleist, Mar 23, 2006
3.98/5  rDev +18.8%

Had this with lunch on Sunday…always been one of my favorites. Took notes on a napkin...

On tap at Boston’s Pizza,

A—clear amber/copper color with a ½ inch foamy head that quickly fades into oblivion, laces in full sheets

S—mildly sweet, maybe a hint of butter and cream, can’t pick out anything else really

T—mild caramel mixed with grain, nothing dominate, nice flavor, I am really enjoying this.

M—smooth, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—great on tap, especially when there isn’t much else to choose from. Easily drinkable and several more would be welcomed, if I didn’t have to drive. This might also might be a good beer for those looking to transition into the world of craft.

Note: I had this with the Thai Chicken pizza…the combo makes me want to weep openly because it is so good.

hanco005, Mar 20, 2006
3.63/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours a very nice dark amber, with a nice head. Aroma has hints of toasted malt and hops... The hops have an initial bite on the tongue but hten fade... Aftertaste is kind of sweet, maybe too much so. Good mouthfeel, a well balanced brew in terms of gravity:IBU. Not a bad standby if only macros are available.

hunteraw, Mar 09, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice amber color. Frothy white head about an inch thick with an assortment of bubble sizes. Head went down after about 5 minutes leaving a small bit a lacing. The smell has a small bit of roastiness to it. Also has sweetness in the smell.Starts off with a smooth malty taste then ends with a slight butter taste and a dash of bitterness. Not bad, no problem drinking a few of these at a time.

dgherm, Feb 26, 2006
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a nice amber color with a smallish head.The smell is faint with some malt to it. The taste has alot of malt and not much else.This is not a bad thing because this is a tasty beer. The m/f is light and a little watery. This is a pretty good brew,but there are better ones.

jmz62565, Feb 05, 2006
3.6/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a medium copper with a bone-colored head that builds to a finger high and dissipates reasonably slowly and leaves excellent lacing to begin with, although it doesn't hold up as the beer gets drunk. Carbonation is very visible. Smells include malty sweetness, butter, caramel, and fruitiness with a medicinal note present as well. Tastes of burnt caramel and malt, with a buttery flavour and slight hoppiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly well carbonated and smooth, and the drinkability is quite good. Not exceptional by any measure, but a reasonably priced and enjoyable drink.

Mandrake, Feb 04, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +26%

Nice clear copper color with orange tones too. Small head, but it fades into a nice, long-lasting cap with really sticky lacing. Medium speed carbonation is visible too.

Soft malt, pine and citrus scents greet the nose. A little of a fresh cut grass smell. Some orange too. Actually, for such a mass produced beer, it's pretty complex. It all comes as a nice soft smell though. It's never harsh. Feels almost refined.

The flavor favors sweet malt. There's a delightful mineral taste too. That must be the famous hard water they use. I really can taste the difference though. It's actually quite tasty to me. Like the scent, it's soft and refined, never harsh. It's definitely a flavor that's all it's own.

Light to medium bodied with a delicious creamy texture to the finish. Mostly sweet, but there's a well balanced bitterness late. Quite tasty again.

This was probably my first "favorite" beer, but it's been a little while since I've had it. I'm glad it holds up to my memories. It's certainly not the best beer I've ever had, but I could still drink this all day long.

skillerified, Feb 04, 2006
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

Copper in color with a slight haze and a soft tan head. The flavor is round and soft, almost too much so for a Pale Ale. But then again I don't drink too many English Pale Ales so my frame of reference is much narrower than it would be for APAs. Bass has a flinty, mineral element in the flavor which I've detected to a certain degree in other English ales such as Holy Grail Ale.

To me Bass is unique and identifiable, but I think for my tastes it is just a tad too subdued for a pale ale, particularly in the hop department. Still this is a well-made beer and I'd recommend it to anyone to try at least once.

VoodooBrew, Jan 31, 2006
3.83/5  rDev +14.3%

reviewed Jan 29 from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

Dark amber in color and smells great! Probably one of the better smelling pale ales. Not too much hops, but enough to give it more flavor.

Definitely a great beer, should drink it more often, yet, there are too many other pale ales out there.

DuqTroops, Jan 30, 2006
3.1/5  rDev -7.5%

Appearance-Nice copper color.

Smell-Not much. Some hoppy smell but thats it.

Taste-Not bad. Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel-OK

Drinkability-Years ago I really liked Bass. That was until I began to experiment with many different beers. I still like it but only on occasion. (Like a free one.) Good on a hot day.

Koolbreeze2, Jan 22, 2006