Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

poor

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.18/5  rDev -5.1%

A really decent English pale ale. It has slight hoppy flavors to it with mild undertones of honey and malts. As a stand alone, this is a crisp beer with a slight bitterness and a unique subtle european hoppy finish. Over all recommened as a beer that you can't go wrong with really.

Rootdog316, Jul 10, 2005
4.05/5  rDev +20.9%

Pours a clear medium amber with a big foamy head. Excellent head retention and lacing. Smell of herbal hops. First thing I taste is a lot of sweet caramel malt. Malt is met by a pleasant, mild herbal hop bitterness, with a bit of tartness in the background that adds to the overall bite of the brew. Very smooth mouthfeel and very drinkable. I can't vouch for the bottled form, but on tap Bass is a quintessential English Pale Ale that is a bit underrated in my opinion.

thechaacster, Jul 05, 2005
3.58/5  rDev +6.9%

06/29/05- On tap at Bud Moran's bar in San Mateo, CA

Presentation- From the tap into a standard pint glass.

Appearance- Darker golden pour with a nice fat creamy and frothy head. Excellent lacing as well.

Smell- Sweet malt overall.

Taste- Light sweetness in the malt. Maybe a grain taste. Very little hops noticed. Just a tad.

Mouthfeel- Medium to ligher carbonation. Just a bit watery at first.

Drinkability- Have had this several times before. I will go to this one because it's usually the best brew a bar will have on tap at times. Decent brew here.

GClarkage, Jun 29, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Big, cream-colored head full of explosions, leaving foamy clumps of lacing. The beer is a clear, red-amber. Nose is dusty, some nutty, faintish fruit. enh. Front is fruity and a little spoonky. Fruity caramel in the light-bodied middle finishes nutty and fruity. Not bad. A nice, light pale.

kbub6f, Jun 29, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

my parents always have a 6 of these in thier fridge so i enjoyed one last trip home. very clean caramel orange color. nice 2 finger head that retains pretty well and leaves some nice lacing. smell is of grains and a little citrus. tastes pretty refreshing. not a lot going on otherwise. hop flavor is present but not overpowering like some pale ales. sweetens up a little toward the end. i quite enjoy bass. i don't know how much i'll buy with so many different beers out there i've never had, but bass is a solid fall back.

ericsdawson, Jun 27, 2005
3.4/5  rDev +1.5%

Among my favorite beers that is widely available even though the style is not among my favorites. Crystaline copper pour with the carbonation visibly sticking at the head of a mug or glass. Frothy white head that completely sheets/laces any glassware. Slight malt sweetness and tones of fresh sourdough bread that are best had off of tap and server moderately chilled but not iced (bloody Florida bars). Don't bother out of the bottle please, and goto a nice place for fresh taps. Otherwise you'll get something a bit wattery and dimmed down, dissapointing.

packetknife, Jun 19, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

Pours a golden orange with a finger of white head and a moderate amount of lacing. Smell is floral hops and faint simple malts. Taste leans towards the floral resinous hops, with the butterscotchy malts almost, but not quite, managing to balance. Medium bodied with just the right level of carbonation. This is a quality pale ale, even if it is a macro, and I'll never turn my nose up at one.

cubedbee, Jun 11, 2005
4.15/5  rDev +23.9%

Poured from a twelve ounce bottle purchased (on sale, .99 cents) at the North Coast Co-op in Arcata, California. Looks very fine in my Lost Coast pint glass: body is bright translucent amber; the head is frothy, whipped thickness, off-white, great retention that leaves some thick lace patches on the glass. Smell: baked red delicious apples, light on the spice, pine needles, slight hint of fresh grape juice behind all of this. Taste: upfront twang of crisp hops that take their time twangin' before some buttery notes comes through toward the middle, along with a slice of crisp green apple. Aftertaste is an unsalted saltine cracker yeastiness as the hop twist recedes in the background, taking its time. Mouthfeel: coats my palate perfectly; a chewy, even silky texture that provides a great canvas for the hearty, sturdy flavors. Carbonation is slight but spot on. Hey, this ain't bad.

RootedFool, Jun 11, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +13.4%

Pours a golden orange color (slightly darker than the average english pale) with a nice white head that dissapates quickly. The aroma is a mix of earthy, piney hops with fruity english ale yeast, not spectacular but not bad either. Taste is light floral hops, biscuit like malt, and a hint of fruit (apples maybe from the ale yeast). Finish is clean and crisp with moderate carbonation and very little bitterness. In this day and age Bass is not very unique but it was one of the original English Pale's so you have to give it some respect. The drinkability is pretty high and this is easily a great session beer, especially if you're not trying to burn out your taste buds with overly hoppy american renditions.

silver0rlead, Jun 11, 2005

I enjoyed my fair share of imperial pints of Bass Ale on-tap at the UK in the World of Nations at EPCOT during my week stay at Walt Disney World. The days were in the high 80's-low 90's and the beers were perfectly chilled and poured.

The color was a redish amber. The beer was poured so that each imperial pint was all beer and no head. Decent lace. Sweet mix of malt and hops aroma. Smooth and crisp. Good malt and hops taste that is well balanced. Slighty buttery. Creamy mouth feel with a very good aftertaste. I truely enjoyed every and every pint of Bass Ale.

ThreePistols, Jun 04, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours to a beautiful reddish anber color with nice big head. I smell light flower and moderate amount of caramel. Oily in texture with taste being earthy and caramel, but neither are overwhelming. Leaves a pleasent bitter aftertaste. Overall this pale ale is more subtle than other pal ales I've had. By far one of the best looking and clear.

nota, May 23, 2005
2.63/5  rDev -21.5%

Pours a copper-brown, but it strikes me as appearing less carbonated than most PAs. Has a 1 cm head that goes to lace.

Smells a bit medicinal to me, with a sweet fruit aroma that I can't quite place closer than something like syrupy cherries.

The mouthfeel is nice and crisp, with good carbonation. This is the strength of Bass, I think.

I detect in the taste a roasted malt character, with a strong bitter finish. The aftertaste retains both, but I find all of it too plain. I also taste a medicinal tone that I really dislike.

All in all, not bad, but I don't think I'll make it a mainstay.

JustinBathurst, May 13, 2005
3.53/5  rDev +5.4%

Pours a finger and a half head that lingers admirably well. Light brown leans a bit to red. Head is quite dense. Smell is buttery and floral hop. Neither is over done and I find the smell very nice. I can taste the buttery that I smell from the diacetyl. Its a little over-bittered for my adoration as a pale ale but still somewhat enjoyable.
The bitter hangs around dominantly in the after-taste as well. A solution would be never stop swallowing I suppose. I'm torn on Bass PA. IT looks great, smells great, has a mouthfeel of quality and yet it is a little out of balance on taste. It needs more of a malt flavor to attain praise from me.

jdm, Apr 28, 2005
3.68/5  rDev +9.9%

This is a great beer, it has very little scent, good head, the most important part flaver which is its best part. I had this beer on tap once and it was better, A bottle is ok but pour it into a glass it is better. Not the best with popcorn though...

mclanem, Apr 22, 2005

This is a personal favorite of mine and has been since my early tweenties (about 12 or so years). Availablity makes it a great beer to fall back one when nothing else is available.

Always pours golden with good head. Crisp refreshing flavor with a bit of hops a bit of fruit. Well balanced ale and always consistant and always good.

NiceGuyMike, Apr 22, 2005
2.83/5  rDev -15.5%

Appearance: Poured nice with a fine looking one finger head. A layer of froth stayed atop this beer the whole time I was sipping on it.

Smell: Fresh fruits, sugary bread, sweet maltiness

Taste: Doesn't taste as good as it smells...Upfront is a weak and barely sweet maltiness. After this your mouth just gets coated with this nasty skunky flavor. Adjunts are really noticeable and taste downright raunchy. the small hop kick at the end really dissapointed me...I expect a bit more of a punch from a pale ale. You can really taste the cheap ingredients in this one

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant buttery coating in your mouth.

Drinkability: I could see myself drinking a few of these without a problem...I mean I have had worse

FINAL CONCLUSION: Craft Pale Ales like Magic Hat and Sierra Nevada make this one look awful.

maek228, Apr 20, 2005
3.55/5  rDev +6%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. Short history of the brand on the back, indecipherable freshness code.

Appearance: Clear red amber color with some lingering bubbles. Nice head that dades relatively quickly.

Smell: Aroma starts off as malt sweetness, than changes in to something that reminds me of wine barrels - kind of an earthy smell.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with just enough hops to leave a bitter finish. Also some slight roasted flavors in there.

Overall impression: Enjoyable beer that makes for a nice session. Great gateway beer - everyone recognizes the name and logo.

rowew, Apr 15, 2005
3.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured into a 20-ounce pint glass; decent head, about what's to be expected for this style, with some lacing. Color was what I remembered from when I was a kid begging to taste my stepfather's beer. Aroma is interesting but nothing that really excites me; there's more hop aroma than the stouts I usually drink, but that's to be expected.

I must admit I didn't like the taste of this beer the first time I tried it, but it's grown on me. The carbonation tickles a bit, and there's a nice bitterness from the hops in the finish, but it doesn't overpower the malt at all. A good, balanced character. However, it seems that this beer was meant to be consumed at the temperature it would be served in an English, rather than an American, pub--the English tend to serve their beers a bit warmer (though not "warm," just closer to room temperature) than do Americans, and I think Bass is suited to a slightly warmer serving temperature. It tastes fine cold, but it smooths out a lot as it gets just a bit warmer, and I think the smoother flavor is what the brewer was going for.
As for drinkability, very good when it's warmed up a bit; I could drink 4 or 5 without noticing. But the sharper flavor it has when it's cold would prevent me from being able to drink a lot of it at that temperature.

MurphyMacManus, Apr 15, 2005
3.75/5  rDev +11.9%

Appearance: The label says: "Bass PALE ALE has a rich amber colour". I don't see the pale aspect in that beer, but it got a rich amber colour for sure. Maybe a little overcarbonated.

Smell: An strong hops aroma. Not bad.

Taste: Sweet and bitter. Good presence of hops and malted barley.

Mouthfeel: It's smoother when it gets warmer.

Drinkability: I was one of my premium imported I ever drank. That time, it was still enjoyable to drink Bass again, but the beer tastes beer when warmer than usual serving temperature.

Barraclou, Mar 31, 2005
3.88/5  rDev +15.8%

This beer pours a golden bronze color with a choppy, bright white head that starts out tall but eventually falls to a slight layer. It has a slight floral hop scent to it. Also smells somewhat sweet and dry.

Not nearly as hoppy tasting as I like a pale ale to be. Very minimal bitterness, but enough to get them by. Decent flavor and finishes quite clean.

A solid offering with excellent availability. Very balanced.

jasonpeckins32, Mar 31, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -14.9%

The appearance was very pale without any head whatsoever. The smell was a bouquet of flowers with slightly over ripe fruit. The taste was not much of note, except for the hops which came through and provide some balance for heavily laden malts. However, it was slighty flat. This is one of those beers that I can always rely upon if there is nothing else.

MuddyFeet, Mar 26, 2005
3.15/5  rDev -6%

This is not the Bass I remember. Heck, it's not even brewed in Burton-on-Trent anymore. Pours a orange amber color with a pale tan head. Nothing to get excited about with the aroma either, faint bready malts with a touch of caramel. I used to enjoy the twang from the hard water used in the brewing but it is almost nonexsistent now. I would not refuse one, just would not go out of my way to get one. Another casualty of Interbrew.

clemtig76, Mar 25, 2005
3.7/5  rDev +10.4%

Dark, golden-orange body with a small, off-khaki head that doesn't stick around too long. Fruity, breadry malt aromas with a hint of toffee and a faint, delicate hop backing. Toasted grain and biscuit flavors over minerally, fruity esters. Gives it a whiskey-ish character. Light hop bitterness combines with a fruity whiskey burn into the finish. Medium bodied with a soft feel. Not bad.

alexgash, Mar 21, 2005
3.35/5  rDev 0%

This is a beer I often go for when at a bar and I'm in the mood for something a little thicker than a lager and there isn't something interesting looking that I haven't tried before. It's a beer with a backbone. Nothing very exciting but usually dependable. A not so pale pale ale.
One thing that can be very exciting about this beer is when it's on tap; 8 times out of 10 it's just about the same everywhere, but every so often you find a place where the Bass is delicious. At the 'Round The Clock Diner near 3rd ave and St. Marks in Manhattan the Bass has been delicious every time I've tried. it. At that place I'd rate the taste a 5.

ommegangpbr, Mar 19, 2005
4.22/5  rDev +26%

Had this at the Miner's arms in Eyan, England - said to be the home of the black plague. Atmosphere alone made this beer better, no denying that. The golden & creamy looking brew had a nice cascading head as it was pumped from the cask. Perfect temperature. This brew is a whole different animal over here. Starts off with a mild apple type flavor..then onto a full, creamy body that coats the mouth with subtle malt and a tasty butterscotch diacetyl flavor. The mouthfeel is perfect -like a cloud in the mouth, and I could no doubt doubt drink this all night..especially in a tiny village with some locals by the fire in a 17th century pub....what a treat.

avylover, Mar 14, 2005