Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 2,412 | Reviews: 1,034
4.55/5  rDev +36.2%

Let me preface by saying that Bass is one of my all time favorites, always a go to when I see it in the pint bottles. And that is the the point, for some reason the smaller 12oz bottles do not taste quite as good as the pint bottles, more like the pub I suppose. Anyway in my opinion a very, very good beer for almost any occasion, I am a fan of Ale style beers though, so perhaps I am a bit biased.
A-Pourned clean with appropriate amount of head.
S-Standard ale smell, really when you think about it this is probably the template for ale.
T- Amazing, one of my favorites, really standard ale taste. Yes I know there are better ones out there, but I always enjoy this one!
M- Normal for an ale
D- I usually drink these whist hanging out with all my mates at the pub, so I believe that explains the amount a person can drink of these.

3.8/5  rDev +13.8%

Extremely challenging to avoid any bias in favor of this beer.

Appearance is crisp golden, perhaps light amber. Generous white head with long duration.

Aroma is biscuity & bready. Fresh. Clean.

Palate is medium to light bodied with inoffensive malt & hops, nicely balanced, but nothing to get excited about. Just reliable goodness with this ale.

Finish is semi short with a mild lingering sweetness.

3.15/5  rDev -5.7%

A- body is a little murky for a pale ale and it had little head retention.

S- malty maybe with a little bit of hops (or I was dreaming).

T- malty initially with a bitter alcohol/hops aftertaste (more alcohol).

D- pretty drinkable. Not my first choice at a bar (my friend ordered it) but still not the last time I will have it.

3.79/5  rDev +13.5%

Good and enjoyable, if not outstanding. Color is a dark amber with a hint of red, not much head. Aroma is weak but inviting. Flavor is decidedly malty, very smooth without any bitter aftertaste. This beer is better on tap than from a bottle, but I suspect most ales are that way.

2.62/5  rDev -21.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Produces a finger thick head that is slightly tan in color. Lacing sticks very well on the glass. The body is ultra clear and is golden amber.

Gives off a malty and buttery aroma. There is a slight hops aroma too.

This starts out with a sweet buttery flavor, but finishes a bit bitter.

Though this has a low alcohol content, there seems to be a warm feel to this beer.

Overall this is pretty average, maybe slightly below average. The last time I tried this until today, was in London back in 2002, and it didn't thrill me then either. I think I'll stick to St. Pete's.

3.57/5  rDev +6.9%

i got this on tap, when it came out it had very little head left and was a golden reddish color, almost amber.
the smell was sweet, a little bit of hops but not much aroma to be had, what was there was nice though.
My first taste impression was that i didnt liek this particular ale, however as i finished the glass, i liked it alot more. its got a sweet tast, with a bit of hoppy bittermess. it almost seemed tingly, im not sure if it had to do wqith carbonation or something else. the mouth feel was average, if not just above seemed a bit watery for my taste, and lacking of that "it" factor that we all know we want but cant explain. It is a highly drinkable beer, smooth enough, and low enough in alcohol to enjoy a few of. a good solid beer, a good choice, and a more common beer thats actually worth getting.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

This red triangle must mean something...

Light side of copper, maybe amber colored, large amount of head and lacing. The head is retained for several minutes.

Nice aromatics; earthy floral hop aromas, definite malt presence.

Noble hops lend a nice bitter twang to this beer, malt is sweet and light. Some kind of mineral presence as well, unplaceable to me. The flavor is fine, just underwhelming. Definitely let is sit once out of the fridge, the flavors don't really emerge while chilled.

Not bad at all, it's what I think of when English pale ale is mentioned. It's far from perfect, and I'm sure InBev's presence in the Bass brewhouse has done it no favors, but it's a fine session beer, not too challenging and no off flavors. Perfect for your friend who doesn't like hoppy or dark beers.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

12 oz bottle into a mug. Nice amber color, no real lacing, a fairly low head that disappears pretty quickly. Looks like your average beer. Nose is fairly mild, mostly malt, a little of that standard sweet macro-lager smell to it. Taste is overwhelmingly malty, very sweet caramel and toffee, just a very mild hint of hops at the end. Feel is standard macro feel, medium-thin bodied, solid to a little high carbonation. Overall, it's a pretty solid beer, although I'm not sure if it's worth the price hike over the standard macro lagers. It's one that I could drink a few of, mostly because it's pretty thin and unoffensive. Not bad, but not great either.

2.56/5  rDev -23.4%

Presentation: Arrived in a plastic standard shaped pint glass at a local dive college bar.

Appearance: About 1/2 inch of light tan head. Settles quickly to just the thinnest of coatings. The beer itself is a very light copper color and perfectly clear.

Smell: Not much happening here. Maybe a little bit of sweet malt, but overall, very little aroma.

Taste; Very little in the way of flavor. Slightly bready, slightly sweet malt. Bitterness is very low. Maybe a little sour tang?

Mouthfeel: Average to below average carbonation level. Body is okay.

Drinkability: Overall, not much going on here. Not water, but not really impressive in the flavor department. This is the kind of thing to drink at a bar that doesn't serve craft beer.

3.34/5  rDev 0%

A - Good head, recedes after a couple of minutes but does not look flat. Light copper colour.

S - Fruity, but like fruit that's a bit too ripe. Not a big fan of the smell. It reminds me of some cheaper beer that I've had.

T - Seems balanced. Can taste maltiness and hopiness, but the flavour is a bit lacking.(can't put my finger on it)

M - Good carbonation, but it almost seems like would be more fitting if it was a bit flat. Maybe the carbonation overpowers the flavour and texture. A bit watery.

D - Very easy to drink.

Towards the end it seemed more watery and the aftertaste became the flavour. Good beer, just not my favourite.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz brown bottle

Bass Pale Ale was amber in color and very clear. It has a medium sized off-white head that soon became a thin layer with some lacing left behind. The aroma was sweet caramel malt with some english hops in the backround. The taste was caramel malt and hops with a nice bitterness and dry finish. It was medium-light in body and carbonation. Drinkability was average. It's a decent English pale ale, but nothing to go out of your was for.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

355 ml amber bottle. Best before November 2007. 5.1% ABV.

A- very nice reddish amber colour with good white head and fairly good bubbliness. A good looking beer. The head decreases to a ring but doesn't end up looking flat.

S- basic beer up front with nice light malt and hops. Also some aplle and grape overtones. Pleasant overall.

T- Pleasant balance of malt and hops. There is an undertone that reminds me of some euro lagers that detracts from character. There is also some wateriness to the flavour. Floral hops and some roasted caramel flavours increase as the beer warms. A decent pale ale though not great. Better on tap.

MF- A little too watery. But it is refreshing and pleasnt overall.

D- Very easy drinker and a decent session beer.

3.66/5  rDev +9.6%

On tap at Stoney's.

Pours a deep gold color with a 1-finger head that hangs arounf for awhile. No real lacing to speak of.

Smells of fruity esters, and faint hints of something floral.

The taste is basically a much better version of the smell, with warm fruit esters, the most noticeable of which are pears and sun-ripened yellow apples. I want to say that this beer tastes "bright," although I could not begin to say why, other than it seems to fit somehow.

The moutfeel seemed much fizzier than I seem to recall, although I am not sure whether that's because I never paid as close attention to it before. Bass is one of my old fallbacks for any Brit-pub, so I'm sure I will have it again sometime and figure that one out.

All told, a fairly solid choice.

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%

Brownish-amber body with a thick white head. Not bad to look at at all.

Nose is sweet biscuit malt with a hint of butter.

Flavor is smooth, sweet and grainy. Biscuit malt with a touch of butter on the finish. This is a light interpretation of the classic English Pale Ale. Easy to drink, light on flavor, perhaps a touch less flavor than even a light bitters.

Mouthfeel is thin, slick and slightly creamy.

Drinkability is pretty good. To me, it somehow goes better by itself than in a black and tan.

I would much rather have a Fullers ESB or a Youngs Bitter than Bass, but it is a pretty good go-to beer out here on my personal beer desert island. As least it's available!

1.84/5  rDev -44.9%

A - Amber bodied ale with a finger of head after it had settled from the pour.

S - Virtually nothing, a little sweetness.

T - Incredibly bland with hardly any hops but unpleasant sweetness.

M - Felt like creamy water, almost no carbonation.

D - Hardly finished the pint.

There were three "cask" taps available, two of which were Boddingtons (there were also some nitro taps). If I had not seen the Bass poured I would have sworn I'd got a pint of some "cream flow" Boddington like pint. Not impressive and something that gives cask real ale a bad name.

4.1/5  rDev +22.8%

pours nice rich clear amber color with a off white two finger head that held fairly well with some good lacing. smell fruity, with some caramel aromas. taste is sweet caramel, toasted malt, and sweet fruits. mouthfeel light, moderate carbonation, with a lightly slick feel on the tongue. easy drinker, good session beer.

4.4/5  rDev +31.7%

appearance - Amber color, some head but then goes low after awhile. Not much lace here.

smell - Nothing interesting, sweet malt smell.

taste -Nice balanced beer, sweet malt taste.

drinkability - Nice beer on tap, never tried it in a bottle. A few times on tap though.

1.47/5  rDev -56%

I don't know if my tastes have changed, if I got a bad batch, or if Bass has gone way downhill, but this particular example was horrible. Actually, my tastes have changed quite a bit, but I wouldn't have liked this even back before I discovered the wonderful wide world of quality brew...

Poured directly from a 25 oz. can into a large wine goblet. Not much carbonation, average head, nice amber color which happens to be the high point of this beer.

Taste was best at the beginning, but throughout there was a huge presence of fruit past its prime, old bread, and near the end, total macroswill flavors dominated with an awful background of metal... I was tempted to just toss it out midway through but I hate wasting any sort of beer so I chugged the last 3rd, grimaced, and vowed never to have this beer again.

From my best memories, this beer was decent on tap and as part of a black and tan, but in this tasting, YECH.

I think something has happened to this brewery to be honest. Have seen posts in the forums before discussing the downward spiral...

4.02/5  rDev +20.4%

pours a light reddish amber color with a medium head that is slow to shrink.
smells very good, hops first then a more malty presence,maybe even a slight chocolately maltness in it. tastes great also, i let it sit on my mouth and the alcohol warms the tongue, has a unique aftertaste. drinkability is exceptional, would love to have these all day long, if it weren't for school/work.

2.5/5  rDev -25.1%

Had this beer on tap. I've never been a big fan of it, really. It's my least favorite out of all the big Euro pale beers. And frankly, it has nothing on some of the better English Pale Ales. It pours a golden fizzy yellow color with minimal white head. There isn't much aroma; maybe some mild malt notes.

The taste is not that enjoyable to me. It's a bit sour, a bit too malty up front, and has too much carbonation for my liking. This goes along with the watery taste I just couldn't shake. Mouthfeel is decent, and it's drinkable, but I wouldn't want more than one anyway. You can find it everywhere, but frankly there are other beer just as accessible that are better than this one.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%

12 oz bottle poured a nice dark copper-amber color with little head and some lacing that sticks to the glass. Smell of slightly roasted malts and some hop bitterness. Some roasted malt at first followed by a good slug of bitterhop and a touch of sweetness. Goes down easily enough but I'm not sure it's worth the $13.25cdn per sixer though.

3.45/5  rDev +3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a standard pint.

Clear golden body, virtually no head, but some lacing.

Crisp malt aroma. Hints of hops.

Nothing surprising in the flavor. A decent pale ale, but nothing to write home about. Nice full carbonation in the mouthfeel.

4.25/5  rDev +27.2%

I never thought I would find Bass Ale in a pint can, but did today, on the train platform between tracks 18 and 19 of the Long Island Railroad at Penn Station, NYC. It was featured among other canned beers, like Bud, Becks, Coors Light, and I think Heineken too, in a mobile bar cart for $2.50. Optimism was not in the air at the moment of purchase as I thought a great beer like Bass deserved better.

I was proven wrong as my train pulled away from the station and I popped the top to reveal a great flowing mass into my cup. The ale flowed as if I was drawing it off a tap and it had the familiar shake of a skirt element to the head with many little bubbles coming from the bottom.

The first taste was creamy caramel body mixed with the bitter aftertaste that made me want to take the whole pint down in one shot. I enjoyed the beer to its quick ending and regretted not buying another for the train ride home.

I could see the practical element to having it in a can in Penn Station and I would happily buy this again...in a can.

3.61/5  rDev +8.1%

Poured clear amber with a fine-grained white head that dropped to a half-inch and stayed. Medium lacing. Smell is very faint; biscuity malt and a hint of hops. Taste is crisp and clean, light for a pale ale (especialy compared to some of the American micro PAs on the market today) not a lot of hops, but the chalky quality of the Burton-On-Trent water is very noticable and -- to my palate anyway -- round and pleasing.

2.69/5  rDev -19.5%

This, IMO, seems like the bud light of pale ales. Poured into a pint glass, from a 12oz. bottle. The beer poured a deep amber, forming a 1/2 inch head, that quickly faded, leaving medium lacing on the glass. The aroma is weak, but what is detectable, is a nice citrus aroma. The taste is very light, having little hop flavor, and an equal amount of malts. Does not have the hoppy flavor that I expect from a pale ale. The mouthfeel is also a little thin. Overall, its not a bad beer, just not the one that I would turn to, when I want an English Pale Ale. However, I do love this with Guinness in a black & tan.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited