Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.46/5  rDev +3.6%

354ml bottle poured in a pint glass.

Clear, orangey-copper colour. Beige head is 1/2 inch on the pour but recedes to a thin cap. Nice spiderweb of lacing.

Aroma is mostly malt with caramel and sweet highlights. Nicely balanced by a light hop undertone.

Malty and semi-sweet off the start with caramel and hops in the background. Sweetness fades in the middle as a light earthy undertone sneaks in. Finish is dry and lightly hop bitter with a definite mineral quality that probably comes from the hard water. Aftertaste has faint hops and a touch of minerals.

Thin-medium mouthfeel with mild carbonation. Mouthfeel could stand to be a bit fuller.

While this beer doesn't have the same character that other pale ales possess, it's still a pretty decent beer. I'd love to try some fresh on-tap as I'm sure it would stand up to some of the good pale ales we have on the local scene much better than this bottle does.

4.2/5  rDev +25.7%

Appearance: Poured from a pub pour can which yielded a nice 1 finger creamy head. The head receded quicker than I expected, but the lacing was phenomenal. The appearance was very clear and amber in color with sporadic tiny little carbonation bubbles surfacing to the top.

Smell: Sweet toffee and caramel malts.

Taste: Taste was a little more flat than the nose yielded, but still very good with a good dose of caramel malts. Earthy hops provide a nice balance to the sweetness and a slightly bitter finish.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and buttery smooth.

Drinkability: Very easy to drink, but tastes a little sweeter in the can than I remember from the bottle. A good solid English pale ale.

4.05/5  rDev +21.3%

appeared dark in color. not much head but again average.
a grainy smell with hint of caramel. very similar to penn dark but milder the mouthfeel was great i really enjoyed how it felt on my tongue. tasted like grain with a nice caramel flavoring. a real treat i will enjoy in the future, a great beer you can find anywhere

2.85/5  rDev -14.7%

poured from the "pub pour" can that falsely promised a thick and long lasting head. I tried my best to induce a head, only came up with about an eighth of an inch that quickly disapeared. Color was light copper with little to no lacing. I was unable to get much aroma out of this brew. Along with trying to pour a large head, I was also agitating the beer, but was unable to get any real aroma out of it. Taste was average. Smooth with hints of malt and hops, but nothing special when it comes to ales. Clean in the mouth. I don't think I'll buy this stuff again.

2.96/5  rDev -11.4%

Poured a copper color with a foamy white head.
Smell is of faint hops and malt, not too much here.
Taste is very malty with not very much hops, has a bitter aftertaste.
Has a good amount of carbonation goes down smooth.
This beer is not bad but not really one of my favorites either.

3.44/5  rDev +3%

"Bass, Bass, wir Brauchen Bass, Bass"

This beer isn't bad. Yeah, I can definately see diggin' this beer. Hoppy by American standards it ain't, but in terms of British beer I've had, the hops really shine through. Delicious.

On top opf the hops, the toffee qualities of the malt really shine though.

A yummy beer, all-in-all. I'd have it again. Ideally next time on an engine.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

Amber to orange/red in color with a pretty average head. The smell is mostly just malt and hops, not too weak or too strong. The taste is basically malty with some bitter hops to it. The mouthfeel is medium, highly carbonated. I think this beer lacks constancy sometimes, I've had really good batches and some that missed the mark. Recently, I was dining at a restaurant with a friend and the waitress (most likely accidentally) sold pitchers to us at the domestic special price of $3 a pitcher, same as the macro swill. Not only that, but for some reason the beer seemed especially sweet that night. Maybe it was just the price..

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

Had this with lunch on Sunday…always been one of my favorites. Took notes on a napkin...

On tap at Boston’s Pizza,

A—clear amber/copper color with a ½ inch foamy head that quickly fades into oblivion, laces in full sheets

S—mildly sweet, maybe a hint of butter and cream, can’t pick out anything else really

T—mild caramel mixed with grain, nothing dominate, nice flavor, I am really enjoying this.

M—smooth, light/medium bodied, good carbonation

D—great on tap, especially when there isn’t much else to choose from. Easily drinkable and several more would be welcomed, if I didn’t have to drive. This might also might be a good beer for those looking to transition into the world of craft.

Note: I had this with the Thai Chicken pizza…the combo makes me want to weep openly because it is so good.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Pours a very nice dark amber, with a nice head. Aroma has hints of toasted malt and hops... The hops have an initial bite on the tongue but hten fade... Aftertaste is kind of sweet, maybe too much so. Good mouthfeel, a well balanced brew in terms of gravity:IBU. Not a bad standby if only macros are available.

3.06/5  rDev -8.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a nice amber color. Frothy white head about an inch thick with an assortment of bubble sizes. Head went down after about 5 minutes leaving a small bit a lacing. The smell has a small bit of roastiness to it. Also has sweetness in the smell.Starts off with a smooth malty taste then ends with a slight butter taste and a dash of bitterness. Not bad, no problem drinking a few of these at a time.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This pours a nice amber color with a smallish head.The smell is faint with some malt to it. The taste has alot of malt and not much else.This is not a bad thing because this is a tasty beer. The m/f is light and a little watery. This is a pretty good brew,but there are better ones.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a medium copper with a bone-colored head that builds to a finger high and dissipates reasonably slowly and leaves excellent lacing to begin with, although it doesn't hold up as the beer gets drunk. Carbonation is very visible. Smells include malty sweetness, butter, caramel, and fruitiness with a medicinal note present as well. Tastes of burnt caramel and malt, with a buttery flavour and slight hoppiness in the finish. Mouthfeel is fairly well carbonated and smooth, and the drinkability is quite good. Not exceptional by any measure, but a reasonably priced and enjoyable drink.

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%

Nice clear copper color with orange tones too. Small head, but it fades into a nice, long-lasting cap with really sticky lacing. Medium speed carbonation is visible too.

Soft malt, pine and citrus scents greet the nose. A little of a fresh cut grass smell. Some orange too. Actually, for such a mass produced beer, it's pretty complex. It all comes as a nice soft smell though. It's never harsh. Feels almost refined.

The flavor favors sweet malt. There's a delightful mineral taste too. That must be the famous hard water they use. I really can taste the difference though. It's actually quite tasty to me. Like the scent, it's soft and refined, never harsh. It's definitely a flavor that's all it's own.

Light to medium bodied with a delicious creamy texture to the finish. Mostly sweet, but there's a well balanced bitterness late. Quite tasty again.

This was probably my first "favorite" beer, but it's been a little while since I've had it. I'm glad it holds up to my memories. It's certainly not the best beer I've ever had, but I could still drink this all day long.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

Copper in color with a slight haze and a soft tan head. The flavor is round and soft, almost too much so for a Pale Ale. But then again I don't drink too many English Pale Ales so my frame of reference is much narrower than it would be for APAs. Bass has a flinty, mineral element in the flavor which I've detected to a certain degree in other English ales such as Holy Grail Ale.

To me Bass is unique and identifiable, but I think for my tastes it is just a tad too subdued for a pale ale, particularly in the hop department. Still this is a well-made beer and I'd recommend it to anyone to try at least once.

3.82/5  rDev +14.4%

reviewed Jan 29 from a bottle into a pilsner glass.

Dark amber in color and smells great! Probably one of the better smelling pale ales. Not too much hops, but enough to give it more flavor.

Definitely a great beer, should drink it more often, yet, there are too many other pale ales out there.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Appearance-Nice copper color.

Smell-Not much. Some hoppy smell but thats it.

Taste-Not bad. Good carbonation.

Mouthfeel-OK

Drinkability-Years ago I really liked Bass. That was until I began to experiment with many different beers. I still like it but only on occasion. (Like a free one.) Good on a hot day.

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%

Poured from 12oz bottle into chilled pint-style glass. This was the first Bass I've had in a year, but I used to drink it all the time. Went down smooth and quick, leaving no lasting impression.

Smells kind of fruity but very mild. Nothing really outstanding, but an OK session beer.

What else can you say.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I spotted this beer on the beverage menu in a Chili’s restaurant, and ordered one. It poured from a bottle in to a frosty mug.

It has a light nut brown color and is clear. The head is thick and foamy, off white in color. Good lacing in a frosty mug. Many bubbles are seen rising through the beer from the bottom.

The smell is not distinctive and faint.

The taste is earthy, smoky with semi-sweet malt flavor. The beer is mild but full flavored. The beer tastes good and the aftertaste lingers and is also smoky and mild.

For all know this is the UK version of Bud, but it was very drinkable. A little heavy and dark for pale ale but good just the same. At $4 a bottle, imported or not, it’s a little over priced. The waitress commented that she didn’t serve much of this beer, and that’s probably why.

1.45/5  rDev -56.6%

never again! This poured a clear amber color with a good rocky cratery head that sticks around for a little white. Decent lacing. Aroma is sweet like candy. Taste is where this goes bad. Is is metallic sweet malt weirdness. No good beer flavors in here. It is a EPA with no flavor, just harsh ass. I mean you can tell what it is, it just sucks. I wouldn't mind tasting what this used to taste like. Had it on tap once and it wasn't this bad. This tastes dirty and by the end of the glass you wish you might need water to clense your ass oiled palate. It does look pretty though!

revisited 2 days later...
WTF? Tastes worse this time.I can't believe this is bass. Because it tastes like pure ass.

2.59/5  rDev -22.5%

The pint comes to me a slightly oxidized copper color with a small amount of sudsy white head that leaves quickly but keeps a decent top-film and very good lacing. There is no nose really.

The taste is extremely sweet. It is sugary and kind of tastes like fruit roll-up. There is a slight citrus tase, but almost no bitterness at all. Mothfeel is nice and smooth. This is a decent, drinkable beer, but its all wrong for a british pale.

3.95/5  rDev +18.3%

This is probably the most readily available decent quality ale in America, or at least my part of it. "Pale Ale" is really a misnomer by the way, at least to us Americans who tend to consume a lot of cheap macro lagers. But then again, "relatively pale as ales go" or "pale compared to brown ale" sound really stupid. Anyway color is a sort of gold-brown so if you compare it to American lagers,it falls more into the color range of a beer I might drink (Killians, Yuengling Traditional, Sam Adams, Saranac Smooth Lager) than a pale lager. Seems like this gives more weight to the arguement if you're drinking a bright yellow beer, you're aren't drinking a real beer. Anyway once a neophyte like me wraps his head around the concept that "pale" ales aren't that pale the color is pleasant. The head tends to be well formed though not very high. Smell is malty, almost a bit buttery or nutty as well, with just a hint of bitterness. The taste is sweet and malty up front sometimes with little hits of those nuts or that butter in the background. Finish is fairly bitter, but surprisingly (for me) not unpleasant. Bass is also cleaner tasting than I thought. Mouthfeel is fairly thick but not too thick. It quenches thrist pretty well but I only gave drinkability an average rating because I just never seem to have more than one or two Basses unless I have no other choice. Its so common around here that I actually use this as a standby sometimes when even such ordinary choices as my personal favorite Yuengling Traditional aren't available. All in all, I think this stuff deserves its popularity as one of the world's top selling ales. I'm sure there are better ones out there, and I've even tried at least one superior ale myself, but there's no doubt for almost anyone who's tried it that Bass is a quality beer and a good example of its type. And yes, its still a decent beer when its warm, though I certainly prefer it cold (what can I say, I'm American). A side note- the robust flavor, good quality,and slightly higher than average alcohol content make Bass my favorite beer for cooking.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Lots of bubbles... a thick white head stays and stays on the beer.
Lots of bubbles... trickling upwards towards to the head through a light copper color.

Aroma is decent. Average and malty. Some sweetness to it. Grain. Tiny hint of hops and floral notes.

Smooth drink... caramel, touch of hops. Bitter on the back of the tongue where the bitter should be. Lingers a touch.

Overall... An ok beer that I wouldn't pass up if someone handed me one again.

3.71/5  rDev +11.1%

Finally, the ol’ British standard. And yeah, not a bad pub session brew. Nice pour, clear amber, great lacing down the glass. A kinda musty smell, earthy and leathery in the quaff. A tad more bitter than most EPAs, but still very mild and drinkable for the long haul.

Much better brew on-tap versus bottle or can.

3.78/5  rDev +13.2%

This is often my brew of choice at my local hangout (which, obviously, does not boast the best brews in the world, but I like it). It's easy to drink without being too overwhelming to your taste buds, and it's not too filling. It's tasty enough- malts and hops balance each other well, with some lovely caramel and grainy undertones. Mouthfeel is creamy, smooth, and bubbly. Quite drinkable, an overall good beer, would probably make a good session beer. Do not drink this out of the bottle, though... on-tap is much better.

2.79/5  rDev -16.5%

Bass pours with a reddish brown with an uneven head of off-white. This beer is lace-tastic. I don’t think that you could find more lace on a French hooker at Christmas. It smells like slightly rotten apples and butter; if only French hookers smelled like Bass! Mmm…

It tastes a bit musty and fruity with a medium body. Hoppy and finishes with a slight pucker. There is lightly sweet malt to it, but nothing that is out of place.

I don’t know what to say about this beer except that it is an old standard. Nothing great, it is exactly what you should expect out of an EPA.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited