Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
3.55/5  rDev +6.3%

Pours a finger and a half head that lingers admirably well. Light brown leans a bit to red. Head is quite dense. Smell is buttery and floral hop. Neither is over done and I find the smell very nice. I can taste the buttery that I smell from the diacetyl. Its a little over-bittered for my adoration as a pale ale but still somewhat enjoyable.
The bitter hangs around dominantly in the after-taste as well. A solution would be never stop swallowing I suppose. I'm torn on Bass PA. IT looks great, smells great, has a mouthfeel of quality and yet it is a little out of balance on taste. It needs more of a malt flavor to attain praise from me.

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

This is a great beer, it has very little scent, good head, the most important part flaver which is its best part. I had this beer on tap once and it was better, A bottle is ok but pour it into a glass it is better. Not the best with popcorn though...

This is a personal favorite of mine and has been since my early tweenties (about 12 or so years). Availablity makes it a great beer to fall back one when nothing else is available.

Always pours golden with good head. Crisp refreshing flavor with a bit of hops a bit of fruit. Well balanced ale and always consistant and always good.

2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Appearance: Poured nice with a fine looking one finger head. A layer of froth stayed atop this beer the whole time I was sipping on it.

Smell: Fresh fruits, sugary bread, sweet maltiness

Taste: Doesn't taste as good as it smells...Upfront is a weak and barely sweet maltiness. After this your mouth just gets coated with this nasty skunky flavor. Adjunts are really noticeable and taste downright raunchy. the small hop kick at the end really dissapointed me...I expect a bit more of a punch from a pale ale. You can really taste the cheap ingredients in this one

Mouthfeel: Leaves an unpleasant buttery coating in your mouth.

Drinkability: I could see myself drinking a few of these without a problem...I mean I have had worse

FINAL CONCLUSION: Craft Pale Ales like Magic Hat and Sierra Nevada make this one look awful.

3.57/5  rDev +6.9%

Presentation: 12 oz longneck bottle. Short history of the brand on the back, indecipherable freshness code.

Appearance: Clear red amber color with some lingering bubbles. Nice head that dades relatively quickly.

Smell: Aroma starts off as malt sweetness, than changes in to something that reminds me of wine barrels - kind of an earthy smell.

Taste: Sweet malt flavor with just enough hops to leave a bitter finish. Also some slight roasted flavors in there.

Overall impression: Enjoyable beer that makes for a nice session. Great gateway beer - everyone recognizes the name and logo.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%

Poured into a 20-ounce pint glass; decent head, about what's to be expected for this style, with some lacing. Color was what I remembered from when I was a kid begging to taste my stepfather's beer. Aroma is interesting but nothing that really excites me; there's more hop aroma than the stouts I usually drink, but that's to be expected.

I must admit I didn't like the taste of this beer the first time I tried it, but it's grown on me. The carbonation tickles a bit, and there's a nice bitterness from the hops in the finish, but it doesn't overpower the malt at all. A good, balanced character. However, it seems that this beer was meant to be consumed at the temperature it would be served in an English, rather than an American, pub--the English tend to serve their beers a bit warmer (though not "warm," just closer to room temperature) than do Americans, and I think Bass is suited to a slightly warmer serving temperature. It tastes fine cold, but it smooths out a lot as it gets just a bit warmer, and I think the smoother flavor is what the brewer was going for.
As for drinkability, very good when it's warmed up a bit; I could drink 4 or 5 without noticing. But the sharper flavor it has when it's cold would prevent me from being able to drink a lot of it at that temperature.

3.73/5  rDev +11.7%

Appearance: The label says: "Bass PALE ALE has a rich amber colour". I don't see the pale aspect in that beer, but it got a rich amber colour for sure. Maybe a little overcarbonated.

Smell: An strong hops aroma. Not bad.

Taste: Sweet and bitter. Good presence of hops and malted barley.

Mouthfeel: It's smoother when it gets warmer.

Drinkability: I was one of my premium imported I ever drank. That time, it was still enjoyable to drink Bass again, but the beer tastes beer when warmer than usual serving temperature.

3.85/5  rDev +15.3%

This beer pours a golden bronze color with a choppy, bright white head that starts out tall but eventually falls to a slight layer. It has a slight floral hop scent to it. Also smells somewhat sweet and dry.

Not nearly as hoppy tasting as I like a pale ale to be. Very minimal bitterness, but enough to get them by. Decent flavor and finishes quite clean.

A solid offering with excellent availability. Very balanced.

2.83/5  rDev -15.3%

The appearance was very pale without any head whatsoever. The smell was a bouquet of flowers with slightly over ripe fruit. The taste was not much of note, except for the hops which came through and provide some balance for heavily laden malts. However, it was slighty flat. This is one of those beers that I can always rely upon if there is nothing else.

3.18/5  rDev -4.8%

This is not the Bass I remember. Heck, it's not even brewed in Burton-on-Trent anymore. Pours a orange amber color with a pale tan head. Nothing to get excited about with the aroma either, faint bready malts with a touch of caramel. I used to enjoy the twang from the hard water used in the brewing but it is almost nonexsistent now. I would not refuse one, just would not go out of my way to get one. Another casualty of Interbrew.

3.72/5  rDev +11.4%

Dark, golden-orange body with a small, off-khaki head that doesn't stick around too long. Fruity, breadry malt aromas with a hint of toffee and a faint, delicate hop backing. Toasted grain and biscuit flavors over minerally, fruity esters. Gives it a whiskey-ish character. Light hop bitterness combines with a fruity whiskey burn into the finish. Medium bodied with a soft feel. Not bad.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

This is a beer I often go for when at a bar and I'm in the mood for something a little thicker than a lager and there isn't something interesting looking that I haven't tried before. It's a beer with a backbone. Nothing very exciting but usually dependable. A not so pale pale ale.
One thing that can be very exciting about this beer is when it's on tap; 8 times out of 10 it's just about the same everywhere, but every so often you find a place where the Bass is delicious. At the 'Round The Clock Diner near 3rd ave and St. Marks in Manhattan the Bass has been delicious every time I've tried. it. At that place I'd rate the taste a 5.

4.23/5  rDev +26.6%

Had this at the Miner's arms in Eyan, England - said to be the home of the black plague. Atmosphere alone made this beer better, no denying that. The golden & creamy looking brew had a nice cascading head as it was pumped from the cask. Perfect temperature. This brew is a whole different animal over here. Starts off with a mild apple type flavor..then onto a full, creamy body that coats the mouth with subtle malt and a tasty butterscotch diacetyl flavor. The mouthfeel is perfect -like a cloud in the mouth, and I could no doubt doubt drink this all night..especially in a tiny village with some locals by the fire in a 17th century pub....what a treat.

3.6/5  rDev +7.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Pours a rich amber not much head, fruity malt and floral weak spicy hop aroma.

Nice british taste Hops are flowery and leafy. Malt is pushed to the background, mouthfeel a little light ends with crisp maltiness and fruity bitter tinge but easy drinking.

Expected a better tap selection but Bass was touted by a recent post topic and I was curious. Better that expected would select it over the other macros when I eat there again. Or maybe go across town and have a Duval!

3.65/5  rDev +9.3%

A clean golden amber beer. Has a small off white head that hangs around and leaves a little lace. The aroma has a solid sweet caramel character with a toffee note in the background. The taste starts witha light sweet maltiness with a hint of caramel. A light dry hoppiness with the malt sweetness on the finish makes this a easy going session beer.

3.75/5  rDev +12.3%

From a 568 mL bottle. Pours into the pint glass an amber color with a 1 finger head that retains throughout but leaves little lacing. Smell is of diacetyl and hop spiciness. The taste delivers this plus caramel and a bit of chocolate. Feels decent. Pretty straightforward but good.

3.4/5  rDev +1.8%

Well I'm not really surprised. Bass in bottles isn't quite as good as on draft, pretty much what I expected.

While many of the same traits translate including the appearance, smell and mouthfeel, the taste is a tamer and much more watery version of it's draft self. Still drinkable, and would still make a good session beer it loses some character and swagger if you will in the bottled version.

I'd still take good ol' Bass over a good many other however, so that's something.

3.38/5  rDev +1.2%

Clear walnut color, with a decent head. Nose consists of grainy malt and faint hop aroma. Tastes like sweet malt, with meager hop bitterness that does a poor job balancing out the flavor. Some floral hop taste and a tad bit of fruitiness. Light bodied.

I'm certain Bass was much tastier fifteen years ago when I first tried it. It's also a better beer in the UK than in the US. Here, it's a poor example of an English bitter.

3.46/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Bass has been a go to brew for a while now, so I thought I would give it a review. I like the appearance, a nice mix of copper, orange and gold. Pours with a nice one and a half inch head, that reduces to a beautiful quater inch. I am getting a skunky nose, not what I am use to when I have this beer on tap. Although through the skunk, I can pick up some spicy hops. The taste is kind of flat, first some sweet maltiness, followed by a hoppy bite, just what I would expect from this type of beer. The mouthfeel is ok, nice and slippery with the right amount of bubbles. For some reason, I don't know what it is, I have never been able to drink very many in a sitting. I can drink a couple, but that is about it.

3.3/5  rDev -1.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

The Bass Pub-pour can. Not a widget-type nitrogenated beer, just charged with a mix of carbon dioxide and nitrogen gases. Pours the same as Bass, but with a soapier head. I'm not going to get into nuances of the beer. It's regular old Bass Pale Ale, in a can, that is is charged during canning as such and makes no significant impact on heightening the beer's enjoyability. In fact, the further metallic taste that shows up in the can is rather distracting. This version of Bass seems to be just a marketing gimmick preying on the 14.9 oz. widget-can phenomenon. It has not impressed me, whatsoever.

3.43/5  rDev +2.7%

Pours a translucent reddish brown with a pale tan head that leaves rings of lace as it recedes.

The smell has that distinctive English hop variety aroma to it with a slight maltiness underneath.

The taste is hoppy, but not with much strength. This combined with a decent amount of carbonation gives it a moderate mouthfeel and makes for a very drinkable ale.

A good beer on a hot day as it quenches your thirst. It also goes good with a steak dinner.

3.26/5  rDev -2.4%

Tawny brown with a full beige head, decent carbonation, and some lace. Decent balanced malt and hop aroma. A bit fruity without being overly sweet. Decent balance but an almost non-descript English malty ale. Light-medium bodied with almost no finish.

One I went into wanting to rate lower but it is an OK English Ale and a good import intro...

Label states: Since 1777. Interbrew UK Ltd. - Luton, England

3.63/5  rDev +8.7%

Brown hue with a decent amount of head. Left lacing in concentric rings down the glass.

Smell was malty with some hop character. Inviting but not spectacular.

Taste is rather decent. Tastes like burnt chocolate when really cold. Warms up to a caramel and nut flavor with little hop bitterness.

Nice and smooth, a pretty decent session brew and good alternative to teh macros on tap all over town.

3.33/5  rDev -0.3%

Having consumed this beer countless times before, it is about time that I enter my review of it. It pours a golden reddish color with a thin head on top. The aroma is crisp and malty but without much to rave about. The flavor is rich with sweet malt and fruity diacetyl notes. It is a bit watery at the end with little in the hop department. Some sourness registers as well. It is clean and soft on the palata but the watery end of it makes it a bit less desirable. Overall this beer is a good beer to drink when there is nothing better around, like in a bar at the airport.

3.83/5  rDev +14.7%

How have I managed to never review Bass? The "tan" description dubbed from its membership in the "Black & Tan" duo is a bit of a misnomer. It's more of a golden brown. I guess Black and Golden Brown doesn't have the same ring though.

Bass Ale is better than many of its British counterparts in smell, taste, and appearance. It's a rich golden beer that goes down quickly and tastefully. I'm of the opinion that there isn't a perfect 5.0 beer out there, as the beers that taste the best tend to have limited drinkability. Bass does a great job of rounding out drinkability and taste. It's powerful, but not too heavy so that you feel like one is enough.

If by some freak of nature you haven't tried Bass, assuming you aren't religiously opposed to it, give it a try. It's a damn fine drink.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited