Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,028 | Hads: 2,522
3.79/5  rDev +11.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Medium off white head covers a clear light amber golden colored beer.

Nuttish, caramel, and almost bitter candy aroma.

A mixture of some hops, malts, sweet and bitter give this beer a dryish taste.

Dry aftertaste with a bit of the taste lingering with this medium bodied beer.

The taste is slightly different than what I accustomed too but it seems to work quite well for me, I hope you enjoy it as well.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Dark copper, clear with no head at all.

S: Faint smells, salted bread pretzel in first moments then disappeared.

T: Some (American) biscuit, modest hops coming on late.

M: On par for pale ale, not a ton of malt but not as watery as a lot of beers. Decent coating, leaves before long.

O: Decent everyday beer, while labeled pale ale it might pass as a mild perhaps with low bitterness and it's not exactly pale. Some disappointments in appearance and aroma, but taste and mouthfeel are not bad, just not special.

2.35/5  rDev -30.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

So this is the oldest English Pale Ale ever made and it's depicted in the very famous Edouard Manet's painting "Bar at the Folies-Bergère". Classic, huh? EPA has been one of my favorite styles for years and this one was on sale at my local grocery store, so I thought "Why not?".

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12fl bottle. Medium brown color, minimum lace and decent head.
Malty and creamy, a little sweet like caramels and nutty by the end.
Mouthfeel is medium to little and carbonation is little to very little. Drinkable nonetheless.

This is not a bad beer but I expected more. As a fan of this style, I'm glad that they improved it throughout the years and have made EPAs that are better than this. I wouldn't mind having one every now and then, especially if it's on sale. But if I have other choices like London Pride on the same shelf, I'd go for it instead of this one.

2.37/5  rDev -30.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Dark brown amber view with a 1 finger thick foam what went away after a couple of sips.
Some good, big bells of sparklings in the glass gives a nice appearance, but that's it.

The nose is not really there. I must give a good sniff for getting something, some lightly caramel and sugar notes I only get.

For the taste it is light, soft and delicate. a Little of spice and a bit caramel. There is totally not a mouthfeel what will hang for a long time on your palate.

3.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 06-02-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. clear bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Publix

My bottles were brewed in Baldwinsville, NY according to the label.

Pours with a good-sized offwhite head, on a medium to dark amber beer. No lacing really to speak of, but head retention is OK. The pleasant aromas feature sweet malts with a caramel aspect.

The taste has bready malts for a sweet start, with some spiciness and earthy hops. Bitterness is very low. The body is medium and there's a moderate amount of carbonation. Finishes slightly sweet and refreshing.

Overall a surprising beer - I liked it more than I anticipated. Simple but pleasant.

3.82/5  rDev +12.4%

a. Poured gently into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Three-eights of an inch of off-white head dissipates quickly with not much lacing. A gorgeous and perfectly translucent amber.

s: Like the skin of a citrus fruit, if you had just picked it out of a beer vat.

t: Sweet and mellow, with "barley" enough flavor to let you know you are drinking a good ale.

m: Light, goes down easy, perhaps moreso than its color would suggest. Extremely drinkable.

o: One of my favorite go-to beers to have with meals and anytime I want refreshment with some brew flavor. Bass never overpowers the food, usually compliments it nicely, all the while reminding you that you are drinking something worthwhile.

Recently it's been on sale near me for $12 a twelver, which I consider a real ale bargain...so to speak. I personally prefer an ale with more flavor when drinking it by itself, but at mealtime and when I'm thirsty Bass and I get along fine.

2.68/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours brownish with creamy head that fades quickly. fairly bitter initial taste with honey aftertaste. medium to light weigh and I remember it being heavier. Not much to say about this brew other than its just ok but a solid beer to get if a bar has it on tap.

2.75/5  rDev -19.1%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Reviewing the American version, brewed in NY.

Look: Clear light amber/copper color. The cram colored head recedes to a thin film with light lacing, if any sticking to the glass.

Aroma: Muted malts, subdued caramel sweetness. Tea-like faint hops.

Taste: A bitter, tea-like hop note filters over muted caramel malts. Not a whole lot going on here.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light in weight. Somewhat carbonated.

Overall: Very bland. Was expecting more.

I like this beer. I have always liked this beer. 25 years I have liked this beer. It looks great in a stein and smells fine. It tastes delicious either warm or cold. I like it in the summer on the deck. Mouthfeel is not as good as a Hopslam or Centenniel but it is still good. The newer craft beers make it pale in comparison..
Overall, I like this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -20%

Poured a clear amber with a thin white head that was gone in less than 30 seconds. The smell was entirely bubblegum, no floral notes at all. Taste was again bubblegum, with some caramel and a lot of apple juice. Hop character and bitterness were minimal to nonexistent. A lower hop flavor than an EPA should have for sure. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated, but felt thin. Overall a mediocre English Pale Ale, not able to compete with the truly good examples of the style.

A- Pours a copper-amber color with clarity for miles. A medium, 2 finger head forms and retains pretty well. The head is frothy and pretty dense, with decent lacing.

S- Dull malt scents with a slight metallic hint are prominent. Only a hint of floral notes peak through the prominent malt bill. Caramel sweetness is present towards the end.

T- Starts off with an odd flavor profile. I think it's a mix of lots of malt and grain. No detectable hops bitterness. Hints of caramel malts in the middle, that are a little sweet. At the end, there is a bite from the heavy dose of malts.

M- Light in body and high in carbonation. Kind of watery, but still fairly smooth from all of the malts.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with this classic English beer. I've been wanting to get into more English style beers, and I hope in the future they are better than this.

1.96/5  rDev -42.4%

It seemed to be more watered down that I remember. The carbonation was very poor and very flat. This used to be one of my favorites but not anymore. I guess thats what happend when the big guys take over our old favorites. This beer is now just a fancier Bud light

3.2/5  rDev -5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can't remember the last time I had one... Or if I've ever had one

Darkish brown with slight golden appearance. Nothing memorable on the aroma.

Lighter taste than I was anticipating. Some flavor, but was expecting more of a punch.

I'd say its a slightly above average pale ale

3.68/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's been quite a while since a new installment for the infamous series recently covered on FOX News - Free Beers From Work! I've never had this O.G. pale ale before, it seems to rest on the line between 'classic' and 'macro swill'. Will it lean more towards one side than the other? We shall see...

Darkish copper colored body. Decent off-white head settles to a partial cap, dots of lace left behind.

A scent full of pure, simple caramel and bready malts, good strength.

Solid flavor. Toffee, bready, mineraly, caramel malts abundant, with some light earthy hops and vague fruitiness. Some graininess there as well. Simple but quite enjoyable in my book.

Medium bodied with slightly high carbonation. Malty without being heavy.

Surprisingly quite good, I like the easy going feel and nice flavors for the ABV. It is easy to see how many English Pale Ales have followed in its footsteps. This leans more towards a classic for me.

3.1/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pleasant coppery color with a one finger head with some stickiness that leaves a little lacing down the glass. Not much other than barley in the nose, even as it warms.

The taste isn't bad, it is better than most mass-produced beers, but it is rather unremarkable. No nuance of flavor, just kind of "beer-flavored". Carbonation seems about right for this style.

Overall, not a bad beer and not a bad go-to in restaurants with limited selection, but nothing very memorable. Not something I would buy or keep in my fridge.

look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: Clear light amber with a decent head.

S: Straw like barley smell. Boring one dimensional.

T: Straw like barley and a tiny bit of honey. Not very fizzy, which I actually like. Very one dimensional.

O: Ales like this are the reason a lot of young men in the UK prefer Stella and San Miguel.

2.83/5  rDev -16.8%

Bass Pale Ale from Baldwinsville, NY.

This beer had an average bread smell. Average taste that finished a little bitter and almost tasted slightly watered down. Nothing really special about it.

I drank it out of a bottle from Food City in Knoxville, TN on 1/1/2013 from a create your own 6-pack.

3.28/5  rDev -3.5%

12 oz. bottle served in a snifter at about 53-58 degrees {F}.

Appearance - clear copper-amber with a respectable off-white head that reduces to a lasting ring. Decent lacing.

Aroma: mild; mainly malt with some spicy and earthy hops. Hints of metal, pepper and caramel.

Flavor - nearly as maltly as a typical amber, with some easily detected earthy and spicy hops. Mild bitterness as it fades with a mildly metallic aftertaste lingering. (14/20)

Mouthfeel: light-medium body, with nearly crisp with low-moderate carbonation.

Overall: better than acceptable quality but with nothing particularly interesting going on. Best served with food.

Best Pale Ale for every day drinking that I have come across. Not too Hoppy, not too bitter. Not an over powering after taste. Smooth and flavorful. Don't think it is made in England anymore though, I believe I heard Anheuser-Busch brews it now. Wouldn't that make it an American Pale Ale?

3.33/5  rDev -2.1%

12oz bottle
Served in a nonic pint glass

A - It is amber to burnt orange in color. An inch of off white head paused briefly atop and retreated to the effervescent depths.

S - The aroma is toffee and bread.

T - The toffee and bread the I smelled came through in the taste, as well. Lacking a perceivable hop presence, this beer is malty in flavor and finishes crisp and clean.

M - It is moderate to thin, not as creamy as I recalled it being.

O - Bass Pale Ale is not a libation that I regularly pursue. It seems watered down as opposed to my recollection. I will probably not be consuming this beer any time soon after this six pack.

2.88/5  rDev -15.3%

From the tap into a nonic.

A-The beer came to me with only a light ring of white-ish foam around the edge of the glass. The brew was amber/reddish orange in color with a few streams of carbonation.

S-Not much happening on the nose. There was a light whiff of cereal and toasted malt, but you had to really dig deep to pick anything up.

T-Taste is similarly weak with just a touch of caramel and cereal flavors. No real hop presence and the malts that were there were pretty subdued.

M-This was drinkable with fizzy carbonation on the front end and a clean finish. The feel was a touch watery, but not as bad as some brews.

O-I have had worse beers than this, but I have certainly had better. As noted above, the brew is drinkable, but the smell is non-existent and the taste is similarly light. The flavors are not bad, there just isn't much to comment on. Might be a good golfing beer.

3.46/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

Leftover from who knows, poured into a shaker pint.

A: Beautiful, reddish amber. Tho fingers white head retain to a cap, good ring lacing after each sip.

S: Light fruitiness and caramel malt sweetness, aroma is a bit faint.

T: Caramel malt sweetness, indistiguishable graininess a bity of toasty bread, quick hit of bitterness.

M: Lighter bodied, pretty smooth, carbonation is medium.

O: Overall, nothing special, but easily drinkable and somewhat tasty. One of the beers my dad used to drink when he wanted to by 'good beer.'

3.43/5  rDev +0.9%

12 oz. bottle at 56 degrees.

Aroma - mainly malt with caramel, slightly burnt and nutty; some fruity esters like apple come through. (8/12)

Appearance - clean copper with fine, white head that laces up well. (3/3)

Flavor - clean at first then sweet finish though some bitterness as it fades with a mildly metallic aftertaste lingering. (14/20)

Mouthfeel - crisp with moderate carbonation, light to medium body that blooms and fades quickly. (7/10)

Overall - Has a distinctive taste that is drinkable in quantity. Probably the most popular English Pale Ale but I'm not overwhelmed by it. This may speak more to my inexperience, especially with this style. (7/10)

Total is 39/50.

3.83/5  rDev +12.6%

Poured chilled in ale glass

A: reddish copper; really beautiful carb streams (clouds of 'em); decent head, drops down somewhat quickly; great lacing
S: all malt; quite sweet smelling
T: simple, straightforward malt-driven ale; I really like the slightly darker roast balance of the malt; hops are pretty subdued

For a session beer, this one is very inviting.

3.86/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

This is a beautiful brew. Nice red-amberish color with a small head that doesn't hang around. As far as smell goes I think it is the weak point of the beer. Taking a small sniff I almost drew an aroma of sweat from it (Pleasant analogy huh? But it is what came to mind!). But Bass is a wonderful pale ale, tasting somewhat spicy on first contact with a nutty finish. And overall I think is one of the best pale ale's in mass production, and probably in my top 3 favorite beers period.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited