Bass Pale Ale - Bass Brewers Limited

Bass Brewers Limited visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Pale Ale |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 03-17-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bass Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,462 | Reviews: 1,042
2.88/5  rDev -13.8%

Served on tap in a pint glass.

Appearance: Dark amber/copper colored with an off white head. Mild lacing on the glass.

Smell: Mild malts, hops and citrus.

Mouthfeel/Taste: Smooth medium bodied. Taste of mild malts and bitter hops.

Overall: Nothing special, but not bad.

Appearance: light copper color, head of about 3/4" that recedes quickly leaving decent lacing. Small amount of carbonation bubbles streaming.

Aroma: caramel, toasted malts, earthy hop spice

Mouthfeel: light to medium, slightly sticky and slightly wet finish. Somewhat chewy.

Flavor: bready, lots of caramel and toffee notes, nice subtle hop balance.

Overall: was quite pleasant on tap.

2.14/5  rDev -35.9%

Date: 08-16-2002
Bass Pale Ale pours from the dark brown one Imperial pint bottle, a rusty amber with one heck of a head, lace and foam abound in my glass.

Nose is a creamy butterscotch sweetness, and palate of creamy sweet butterscotch with a balanced bitter and a touch of gypsum. Absolutely one yummy Ale and a must try for anyone.

Bass Pale Ale has been on my list of Beers to buy when the price is right. Bass Pale Ale is a good tasting pale ale that has been around for a very long time.

Date: not recorded
Well, I just went through a twelve pack and lo and behold this brew has turned to Banta PoDo, it is nothing at all what it used to be!

Interbrew Be Damned!!!

Date: 2/23/2014
Now brewed in the USA by AB-InBev
This stuff is just gross...
Mouth-feel is all wrong, and the bite of carbonation is no longer smooth and cream like.
This will be my last update for this brand. I will not buy another drop of this failed replicant.

3.59/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

12 oz. bottle poured into a pint glass.

Appearance: Pours a clear copper with a half inch white head that recedes quickly to film. Lacing moderate.

Aroma: Smells of toasted malt and caramel. The aroma is very similar to the 230+ years of imitators this has spawned.

Taste: Clean, crisp, malty, some hop bite, barely noticeable alcohol. Some notes of toast and caramel, as in the nose. Tastes like the seminal pale ale that it is.

Mouthfeel: Slightly watery but not to the point where it's weak. I feel like most contemporary pale ales have fuller bodies.

Overall: Hey, it's Bass. It says Baldwinsville on the label, and that's weird. But it's a decent, ubiquitous pale ale that gets the job done. The market is so saturated with pale and amber ales right now that it's easy to forget that the original is still pretty decent. That said, the only time I'm likely to have this is at a restaurant that otherwise has only macro lagers.

3.28/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Back in the "dark days" of the late 70s and early 80s this was one of my go to higher end beers. Over the years it has remained a reliable, decent import.

A - Pours out a clear copper color with a head that retreats to a thin, long lasting lace.

S - Mostly grains.

T - Malt and grains. Very mild flavor.

M - A bit thin but with a nice clean finish.

O - This remains a reliable import that is worth a try or revisit.

3.23/5  rDev -3.3%

I very much agree with the other reviewers who said this was a good basic ale. It is relatively inexpensive with a low ABC, so it makes a very satisfactory session beer. I also agree, however, that it has nothing to recommend it beyond that. It is neither distinctive as an ale, a brown ale, or a pale ale. Everything is moderate and diffused in the slightly nutty brown taste, resulting, well... in a moderately drinkable nice little ale.

Appearance: Light amber color, cream color head.
Aroma: Slight hint of fruit, otherwise not much of an aroma.
Flavor: Very light malty flavor up front, with a fruity banana body, finishing mildly hoppy. This is a medium bodied beer, lightly carbonated.
Overall: A very pleasant tasting beer. The fruity aroma is hard to detect, but it comes forth in the taste. This is a smooth beer and light and flavorful  enough to drink anytime.

3.25/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed based on tasting notes from a blind pale ale tasting.

12 oz. bottle inside a paper bag poured into a plastic tasting cup.

A- Clear, dark amber body. No head.

S- Bouquet reflected the taste.

T- Vinous, sweet malts with a subtle, herbal hop finish.

M- I didn't make any notes on mouthfeel.

O- Not complex. I though this was probably outdated, but the reveal showed it was Bass without a bottle date. So, I'm still not sure if this is just how Bass tastes, or if it was a stale Bass. Either way it was still drinkable, better than I thought Bass would be, but still far from great.

3.39/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I know most don't think much of this beer but I've grown to like it over the years. More on tap than out of the bottle.

A - Fine, brown ale.

S - Not much going on there.

T - Tastes fine for me, must be served chilly.

M - Great going down.

O - A bit on the sweet side, but I can several on a football Sunday.

My wife doesn't like me to drink it, for some reason Bass gives me gasss...

Straight out of the bottle at The Saloon in Laguna Beach, CA.

With not too many appealing options available, "The World's First Pale Ale" it is - and while starring at the Pacific, Raul is ok with that.

Mild like my baby mama after a Xanax bar, and well, that's pretty much it. Ol' BM just lies there and doesn't give Raul any problems, but she's also not much fun either (kind of like what this Bass is like right now).

Peace!

3.79/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Medium off white head covers a clear light amber golden colored beer.

Nuttish, caramel, and almost bitter candy aroma.

A mixture of some hops, malts, sweet and bitter give this beer a dryish taste.

Dry aftertaste with a bit of the taste lingering with this medium bodied beer.

The taste is slightly different than what I accustomed too but it seems to work quite well for me, I hope you enjoy it as well.

look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: 12oz bottle into tulip glass. Dark copper, clear with no head at all.

S: Faint smells, salted bread pretzel in first moments then disappeared.

T: Some (American) biscuit, modest hops coming on late.

M: On par for pale ale, not a ton of malt but not as watery as a lot of beers. Decent coating, leaves before long.

O: Decent everyday beer, while labeled pale ale it might pass as a mild perhaps with low bitterness and it's not exactly pale. Some disappointments in appearance and aroma, but taste and mouthfeel are not bad, just not special.

2.35/5  rDev -29.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

So this is the oldest English Pale Ale ever made and it's depicted in the very famous Edouard Manet's painting "Bar at the Folies-Bergère". Classic, huh? EPA has been one of my favorite styles for years and this one was on sale at my local grocery store, so I thought "Why not?".

Poured into a tulip glass from a 12fl bottle. Medium brown color, minimum lace and decent head.
Malty and creamy, a little sweet like caramels and nutty by the end.
Mouthfeel is medium to little and carbonation is little to very little. Drinkable nonetheless.

This is not a bad beer but I expected more. As a fan of this style, I'm glad that they improved it throughout the years and have made EPAs that are better than this. I wouldn't mind having one every now and then, especially if it's on sale. But if I have other choices like London Pride on the same shelf, I'd go for it instead of this one.

2.37/5  rDev -29%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2.25

Dark brown amber view with a 1 finger thick foam what went away after a couple of sips.
Some good, big bells of sparklings in the glass gives a nice appearance, but that's it.

The nose is not really there. I must give a good sniff for getting something, some lightly caramel and sugar notes I only get.

For the taste it is light, soft and delicate. a Little of spice and a bit caramel. There is totally not a mouthfeel what will hang for a long time on your palate.

3.7/5  rDev +10.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Tasted On: 06-02-2013
Freshness: Not indicated
Packaging: 12 oz. clear bottle, pry-cap
Glassware: Tulip pint
Purchased: 6-pack from Publix

My bottles were brewed in Baldwinsville, NY according to the label.

Pours with a good-sized offwhite head, on a medium to dark amber beer. No lacing really to speak of, but head retention is OK. The pleasant aromas feature sweet malts with a caramel aspect.

The taste has bready malts for a sweet start, with some spiciness and earthy hops. Bitterness is very low. The body is medium and there's a moderate amount of carbonation. Finishes slightly sweet and refreshing.

Overall a surprising beer - I liked it more than I anticipated. Simple but pleasant.

3.82/5  rDev +14.4%

a. Poured gently into a tulip glass from a 12 oz. bottle. Three-eights of an inch of off-white head dissipates quickly with not much lacing. A gorgeous and perfectly translucent amber.

s: Like the skin of a citrus fruit, if you had just picked it out of a beer vat.

t: Sweet and mellow, with "barley" enough flavor to let you know you are drinking a good ale.

m: Light, goes down easy, perhaps moreso than its color would suggest. Extremely drinkable.

o: One of my favorite go-to beers to have with meals and anytime I want refreshment with some brew flavor. Bass never overpowers the food, usually compliments it nicely, all the while reminding you that you are drinking something worthwhile.

Recently it's been on sale near me for $12 a twelver, which I consider a real ale bargain...so to speak. I personally prefer an ale with more flavor when drinking it by itself, but at mealtime and when I'm thirsty Bass and I get along fine.

2.68/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Pours brownish with creamy head that fades quickly. fairly bitter initial taste with honey aftertaste. medium to light weigh and I remember it being heavier. Not much to say about this brew other than its just ok but a solid beer to get if a bar has it on tap.

2.75/5  rDev -17.7%

Poured into a shaker pint glass. Reviewing the American version, brewed in NY.

Look: Clear light amber/copper color. The cram colored head recedes to a thin film with light lacing, if any sticking to the glass.

Aroma: Muted malts, subdued caramel sweetness. Tea-like faint hops.

Taste: A bitter, tea-like hop note filters over muted caramel malts. Not a whole lot going on here.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light in weight. Somewhat carbonated.

Overall: Very bland. Was expecting more.

I like this beer. I have always liked this beer. 25 years I have liked this beer. It looks great in a stein and smells fine. It tastes delicious either warm or cold. I like it in the summer on the deck. Mouthfeel is not as good as a Hopslam or Centenniel but it is still good. The newer craft beers make it pale in comparison..
Overall, I like this beer.

2.72/5  rDev -18.6%

Poured a clear amber with a thin white head that was gone in less than 30 seconds. The smell was entirely bubblegum, no floral notes at all. Taste was again bubblegum, with some caramel and a lot of apple juice. Hop character and bitterness were minimal to nonexistent. A lower hop flavor than an EPA should have for sure. The mouthfeel was moderately carbonated, but felt thin. Overall a mediocre English Pale Ale, not able to compete with the truly good examples of the style.

A- Pours a copper-amber color with clarity for miles. A medium, 2 finger head forms and retains pretty well. The head is frothy and pretty dense, with decent lacing.

S- Dull malt scents with a slight metallic hint are prominent. Only a hint of floral notes peak through the prominent malt bill. Caramel sweetness is present towards the end.

T- Starts off with an odd flavor profile. I think it's a mix of lots of malt and grain. No detectable hops bitterness. Hints of caramel malts in the middle, that are a little sweet. At the end, there is a bite from the heavy dose of malts.

M- Light in body and high in carbonation. Kind of watery, but still fairly smooth from all of the malts.

Overall, I'm not that impressed with this classic English beer. I've been wanting to get into more English style beers, and I hope in the future they are better than this.

1.96/5  rDev -41.3%

It seemed to be more watered down that I remember. The carbonation was very poor and very flat. This used to be one of my favorites but not anymore. I guess thats what happend when the big guys take over our old favorites. This beer is now just a fancier Bud light

3.2/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Can't remember the last time I had one... Or if I've ever had one

Darkish brown with slight golden appearance. Nothing memorable on the aroma.

Lighter taste than I was anticipating. Some flavor, but was expecting more of a punch.

I'd say its a slightly above average pale ale

3.68/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

It's been quite a while since a new installment for the infamous series recently covered on FOX News - Free Beers From Work! I've never had this O.G. pale ale before, it seems to rest on the line between 'classic' and 'macro swill'. Will it lean more towards one side than the other? We shall see...

Darkish copper colored body. Decent off-white head settles to a partial cap, dots of lace left behind.

A scent full of pure, simple caramel and bready malts, good strength.

Solid flavor. Toffee, bready, mineraly, caramel malts abundant, with some light earthy hops and vague fruitiness. Some graininess there as well. Simple but quite enjoyable in my book.

Medium bodied with slightly high carbonation. Malty without being heavy.

Surprisingly quite good, I like the easy going feel and nice flavors for the ABV. It is easy to see how many English Pale Ales have followed in its footsteps. This leans more towards a classic for me.

3.1/5  rDev -7.2%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Pleasant coppery color with a one finger head with some stickiness that leaves a little lacing down the glass. Not much other than barley in the nose, even as it warms.

The taste isn't bad, it is better than most mass-produced beers, but it is rather unremarkable. No nuance of flavor, just kind of "beer-flavored". Carbonation seems about right for this style.

Overall, not a bad beer and not a bad go-to in restaurants with limited selection, but nothing very memorable. Not something I would buy or keep in my fridge.

Bass Pale Ale from Bass Brewers Limited