Head Butt IPA - Iron Goat Brewing Co.

Head Butt IPAHead Butt IPA

Iron Goat Brewing Co.
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: leedorham on 08-22-2012)
Reviews by woemad:
3.85/5  rDev +2.9%

32oz grunt/howler/mini-growler/growlette/whatever purchased at the brewery for approx. $6. I've had this numerous times in the past, but have yet to formally review it until now.

Poured an extremely clear, copperish shade of amber, with a decent-sized off-white head.

Piney tree sap aroma along with...strawberries? My palate is just good enough to be dangerous, but even with that caveat, I'm a little mystified by the aroma. I know this was originally brewed with southern hemisphere hops, back when IG first opened. Maybe it still is, and that's a hallmark of the particular hops used (Greg & Heather, one half of the couples that are the owners/brewers, have told me the hop bill, but I can't remember what it is). It's a thick hop aroma, but there's enough of a malt backbone to keep it from being too much of a hop bomb.

This tastes like what I would call a Pacific Northwest IPA: Piney taste upfront backed with citrus. The piney flavor is almost too big, and might well be too big for people who don’t dig that. I do, but just sayin’. The fruity, strawberry flavor I detected in the nose is present here, but it is subordinated to the piney aspect of the flavor. There’s also a sweet, honeyish flavor that I’ve never picked up on before. It’s kind of in the background, but it’s there. Despite its being a “regular” IPA rather than a double, this is a BIG, flavorful IPA.

A little bit too big in the body for me to rate in elite numbers for the mouthfeel category. Oily, resiny mouthfeel.

When I want an IPA that is big and fresh (it’s brewed about two miles from where I live, so it takes some work by an incompetent bar manager for it not to be fresh), and not too alcoholicly massive this is what I tend to think of. This and Riverkeeper (from River City, and a totally different kind of IPA) are my two current favorite IPAs on the local beer scene. Unless something tragically changes, I’ll be having this again.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

3.75/5  rDev +0.3%

4.5/5  rDev +20.3%

4.08/5  rDev +9.1%

Reviewing from memory. I've had head butt several times both at the tasting room and at a couple other places locally.

This is arguably the best IPA being brewed in Spokane right now. I can fault its appearance a little due to it being very cloudy each time I've had it but other than that it's a go-to.

The aroma is dank and pops right out, which means the hop flavor follows. Bright, citrusy, great beer.

Head Butt IPA from Iron Goat Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.