Head Butt IPA - Iron Goat Brewing Co.

Head Butt IPAHead Butt IPA

Iron Goat Brewing Co.
Washington, United States

(Beer added by: leedorham on 08-22-2012)

trytoketchup, Dec 07, 2013
3.5/5  rDev -8.6%

thebigredone, May 16, 2014
3.75/5  rDev -2.1%

harrymel, Apr 21, 2013
3.85/5  rDev +0.5%

32oz grunt/howler/mini-growler/growlette/whatever purchased at the brewery for approx. $6. I've had this numerous times in the past, but have yet to formally review it until now.

Poured an extremely clear, copperish shade of amber, with a decent-sized off-white head.

Piney tree sap aroma along with...strawberries? My palate is just good enough to be dangerous, but even with that caveat, I'm a little mystified by the aroma. I know this was originally brewed with southern hemisphere hops, back when IG first opened. Maybe it still is, and that's a hallmark of the particular hops used (Greg & Heather, one half of the couples that are the owners/brewers, have told me the hop bill, but I can't remember what it is). It's a thick hop aroma, but there's enough of a malt backbone to keep it from being too much of a hop bomb.

This tastes like what I would call a Pacific Northwest IPA: Piney taste upfront backed with citrus. The piney flavor is almost too big, and might well be too big for people who don’t dig that. I do, but just sayin’. The fruity, strawberry flavor I detected in the nose is present here, but it is subordinated to the piney aspect of the flavor. There’s also a sweet, honeyish flavor that I’ve never picked up on before. It’s kind of in the background, but it’s there. Despite its being a “regular” IPA rather than a double, this is a BIG, flavorful IPA.

A little bit too big in the body for me to rate in elite numbers for the mouthfeel category. Oily, resiny mouthfeel.

When I want an IPA that is big and fresh (it’s brewed about two miles from where I live, so it takes some work by an incompetent bar manager for it not to be fresh), and not too alcoholicly massive this is what I tend to think of. This and Riverkeeper (from River City, and a totally different kind of IPA) are my two current favorite IPAs on the local beer scene. Unless something tragically changes, I’ll be having this again.

woemad, Jul 27, 2013

Keepnitrl, Jul 24, 2014

Kais, Dec 29, 2013
4.08/5  rDev +6.5%

Reviewing from memory. I've had head butt several times both at the tasting room and at a couple other places locally.

This is arguably the best IPA being brewed in Spokane right now. I can fault its appearance a little due to it being very cloudy each time I've had it but other than that it's a go-to.

The aroma is dank and pops right out, which means the hop flavor follows. Bright, citrusy, great beer.

leedorham, Aug 22, 2012
4.5/5  rDev +17.5%

Uncle_Rickles, Mar 15, 2013
Head Butt IPA from Iron Goat Brewing Co.
- out of 100 based on 8 ratings.