I.P.W. (India-style Pale Wheat Ale) - Upstate Brewing Company

I.P.W. (India-style Pale Wheat Ale)
No picture uploaded.

Upstate Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: NJBeer265 on 05-22-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by MaltyMates:
MaltyMates

06-08-2013 02:20:25 | More by MaltyMates
Billolick

3.71/5  rDev -1.3%

16 ounce can

I followed the directions on the can (cuz, , thats how I roll) to pour 3/4th give it a swirl and then pour out the rest. Results in a heavily clouded darker apricot pour, under a huge anlasting eggshell head. Slowly goes to a merangue and a blotchy film, along with some thicker high sheeting.

Middle of the road, malty nose, with some leafy back ground hops.

Pleasant hybrid of styles. Moderate hops, wheaty malts, easy drinking and better then decent drinkability and complexity.

Gotta love a quality brew in a 16 ounce can. Worth a try if ya see this NY State local in your area

09-17-2013 01:48:34 | More by Billolick

3.6/5  rDev -4.3%

08-19-2014 00:18:40 | More by Keene
jtierney89

3.5/5  rDev -6.9%

faintly hazed tinged goldenhue with a bright white head. Nice citrusy an piney hoppy nose with some malty undertones.

Creamy yet thin body. Flavors are like the nose but a bit more subtle, faint sweet breads flavor beneath the hops. well blended. Pretty balanced with some lingerin bitterness and a little bit of graininess. Mildly earthy but mostly fruity. Nice and light bodied, brisk and crisp. Could be real nice for the summer.

01-29-2014 14:16:03 | More by jtierney89
tone77

3.59/5  rDev -4.5%

Poured from a 16 oz. can. And yes, this can is courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is hoppy, some lemon and grapefruit, desert like dryness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and although I'm not getting much from the "pale wheat ale" that the can advertises, this is a good quality beer.

07-19-2014 04:45:47 | More by tone77
GreesyFizeek

3.65/5  rDev -2.9%

On tap at the Tap and Mallet in Rochester, NY.

Pours a golden hazy yellow into a Dundee hefeweizen glass. Half an inch of head or so, minimal lacing.

Nice aroma. Lots of hops of the herbal, dank, and piney slant.

The taste is a bit more muted, but ultimately follows the lead of the aroma. Some wheat bitterness is present, but this is ultimately an IPA brewed with wheat rather than a hoppy wheat beer.

Slightly thin body, a bit too watery, really. Crisp mouthfeel and carbonation.

I'd like to try more from this brewery, but this falls a little bit short.

03-18-2014 01:37:25 | More by GreesyFizeek
Amalak

09-29-2013 21:23:53 | More by Amalak
metter98

3.84/5  rDev +2.1%

A: The beer is very hazy yellowish amber in color. It poured with a finger high dense beige colored head that died down, consistently leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface, a collar around the edge and lots of lacing down the sides of the glass.
S: Light aromas of floral and herbal hops are present in the nose.
T: The taste has flavors of floral and tropical fruit hops and wheat along with a very slight amount of bitterness.
M: It feels light- to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation. No crispness is detectable. The unfiltered nature lends a bit of chewiness.
O: This beer definitely tastes like a cross between an IPA and a wheat bear—it offers the aromas and flavors in hops from an IPA and the light-bodied nature of a wheat beer. It is very easy to drink and is something that I would consider to be very sessionable.

10-01-2013 00:05:09 | More by metter98

Noelito76

11-09-2013 12:01:04 | More by Noelito76
plaid75

4.1/5  rDev +9%

On draft at Red's Place, Seneca Falls, NY.

Poured a clear copper hue with a one finger foamy white head. There was decent retention and lacing.

The smell featured piney hops and a soft caramel.

The taste consisted of a light wheat spice with caramel and grassy and piney hops. There was a pleasant residual hop spice.

The mouthfeel was typical of the style.

Overall a tasty hop forward wheat infused IPA.

11-01-2013 21:55:34 | More by plaid75
tviz33

4.13/5  rDev +9.8%

Poured from a 16 oz can in to a Birdland Brewing tulip. This a blend of two styles- the IPA and American wheat ale, so I'm pretty interested in sitting down and reviewing this.

A- Pours a pretty hazy amber/orange body with two fingers of off-white head and soapy lacing.

S- Everything I would expect from an IPA. Big citrus, a little pine, and a surprising amount of sweet caramel.

T- So nice. Drinkability is through the rough. Bitter, but not overbearing. The hops bring out some awesome citrus and pine notes and the wheat works with it very well to mellow it out.

M- Mouthfeel is medium and creamy. Carbonation is middle of the road

O- I try not to be biased in my reviews when it comes to local breweries, and this one is no exception. Upstate only makes a few beers, and this is no doubt their best. Definitely worth a try.

08-25-2013 00:42:43 | More by tviz33
DrDemento456

3.68/5  rDev -2.1%

A - Pours a dirty apple cider brown, so most likely not filtered. Head is great has a bit of an opaque color but a solid inch which which will result in a good bit of lacing.
S - I could smell it from my desk and my nose dove in to find citrus rind and pine hop bitterness. Very lemon in tone and the wheat I can smell which is in the back round,
T - my my is this interesting. Taking a sip I was blasted with whole pine hop bitterness then quickly it turned on me into a great bit of wheat and a sweet bit of malts. A few sips later it take more of an acidic hop tone nature leaving my tongue bitter. Wish it had more sweet balance.
M - Light to medium. Hoppy as all hell.

Overall even though its just another aggressively hopped beer I applaud the blending of wheat into the mix. Maybe a touch of filtering and more of a sweeter malt base and it could be one exceptional beer. As it stands though hop heads will love it.

09-20-2013 23:41:53 | More by DrDemento456

06-04-2014 23:40:16 | More by schaffer9252
PicoPapa

Connecticut

3.99/5  rDev +6.1%

16oz can. Pours hazy brownish orange color with an inch of thick white head. Good amount of lacing. The aroma is sweet citrus hops and pine. Hints of pineapple and mango. Caramel and bread. The taste is light citrus hops with lots of sweet caramel and wheat bread. Piney hops with some floral notes towards the end. More IPA than Wheat but I'm not complaining. Medium bodied, but maybe a tad bit watery. Good amount of bitterness. I'm really digging this take on the style. Overall, I'll be looking for this one again.

01-26-2014 02:23:18 | More by PicoPapa
NJBeer265

4.04/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer is a merging of two styles: India Pale Ale and American Wheat beers. It has an intense floral and citrus hop bitterness of an American IPA with the light and refreshing flavor of an American wheat beer. The beer is unfiltered and dry-hoped.

05-22-2013 19:10:39 | More by NJBeer265
woodychandler

4.05/5  rDev +7.7%

The amazing JenRay was working in Manhattan and so I decided to take the train up and meet one of my regular CAN Traders in person. While I was up there, I scored a whole buncha CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), including this one. I have to say that I am disappointed by the photo as I am unsure that it meets the criteria for inclusion, but my CAN has a very generic, stark black & white look to it, so it may be a wash.

From the CAN: "Fresh [-] Local [-] Beer"; "Est. 2011"; "I.P.W. A cross between our two favorite beer styles: IPA and Ameri[CAN] Wheat. Dry Hopped & Unfiltered"; "Directions [:] Pour 3/4 of the CAN into your glass. Swirl the remaining beer in the CAN a few times to collect any wheat that may have fallen out of suspension. Pour remainder and enjoy."; "IBU: 70 [;] Hops: Magnum, Zythos, Nugget".

I heard a loud Crack! and since they did not specify how that 75% pour was to take place, I went inverted. Hee hee. I had to back off before the 3/4 mark anyway as it was coming up quickly in the glass. I got a finger of foamy, tawny head with moderate retention as a result. The liquid in the glass looked like turbid river water, like the Conestoga after a heavy rain (SRM = > 9, < 13). Cloudy, muddy, filled with suspended ... wheat (?). The nose smelled heavily of grapefruit and once more today, my mouth was watering in anticipation. I was also getting a peppery scent which only increased my anxiousness. I live for this sort of thing! Mouthfeel was big, full and creamy, perhaps as the result of the inclusion of wheat. The bitterness was what really grabbed my attention, truth in advertising as the citrus hops played across my tongue like a bowstring across a violin. What a tremendous find! The lacing that formed as a I drank was going to need a jackhammer to remove. Finish was dry and hoppy, but not over the top. I really liked the way that the wheat seemed to hold the hops in check while still giving them room to operate. I am a self-avowed hophead, but I have had some beers that seemed saturated with hops, which is too much. This was like Baby Bear's I.P.W. - just right!

06-19-2014 17:39:39 | More by woodychandler