I.P.W. (India-style Pale Wheat Ale) - Upstate Brewing Company

I.P.W. (India-style Pale Wheat Ale)
No picture uploaded.

Upstate Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

(Beer added by: NJBeer265 on 05-22-2013)
View: Beers (5) |  Events

themick002

07-20-2014 14:42:14 | More by themick002
tone77

3.59/5  rDev -4.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 16 oz. can. And yes, this can is courtesy of the legendary woodychandler. Has a cloudy caramel color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of hops, citrus. Taste is hoppy, some lemon and grapefruit, desert like dryness at the finish. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and although I'm not getting much from the "pale wheat ale" that the can advertises, this is a good quality beer.

Serving type: can

TheBeerNation

06-20-2014 18:53:03 | More by TheBeerNation
woodychandler

4.05/5  rDev +7.4%

The amazing JenRay was working in Manhattan and so I decided to take the train up and meet one of my regular CAN Traders in person. While I was up there, I scored a whole buncha CANs in furtherance of The CANQuest (TM), including this one. I have to say that I am disappointed by the photo as I am unsure that it meets the criteria for inclusion, but my CAN has a very generic, stark black & white look to it, so it may be a wash.

From the CAN: "Fresh [-] Local [-] Beer"; "Est. 2011"; "I.P.W. A cross between our two favorite beer styles: IPA and Ameri[CAN] Wheat. Dry Hopped & Unfiltered"; "Directions [:] Pour 3/4 of the CAN into your glass. Swirl the remaining beer in the CAN a few times to collect any wheat that may have fallen out of suspension. Pour remainder and enjoy."; "IBU: 70 [;] Hops: Magnum, Zythos, Nugget".

I heard a loud Crack! and since they did not specify how that 75% pour was to take place, I went inverted. Hee hee. I had to back off before the 3/4 mark anyway as it was coming up quickly in the glass. I got a finger of foamy, tawny head with moderate retention as a result. The liquid in the glass looked like turbid river water, like the Conestoga after a heavy rain (SRM = > 9, < 13). Cloudy, muddy, filled with suspended ... wheat (?). The nose smelled heavily of grapefruit and once more today, my mouth was watering in anticipation. I was also getting a peppery scent which only increased my anxiousness. I live for this sort of thing! Mouthfeel was big, full and creamy, perhaps as the result of the inclusion of wheat. The bitterness was what really grabbed my attention, truth in advertising as the citrus hops played across my tongue like a bowstring across a violin. What a tremendous find! The lacing that formed as a I drank was going to need a jackhammer to remove. Finish was dry and hoppy, but not over the top. I really liked the way that the wheat seemed to hold the hops in check while still giving them room to operate. I am a self-avowed hophead, but I have had some beers that seemed saturated with hops, which is too much. This was like Baby Bear's I.P.W. - just right!

Serving type: can

06-19-2014 17:39:39 | More by woodychandler
RollBounce

06-16-2014 03:28:45 | More by RollBounce
curasowa

Appearance: Cloudy orange color with one finger of head that has really good retention.

Aroma: Fresh, citrus hops and hints of yeast.

Taste: The lighter body of the wheat malt really lets the spicy, citrus hop flavors stand tall. Lots of grapefruit pith bitterness with some papery wheat showing up towards the finish, which is pretty clean with just some lingering bitterness.

The Rest: A fresh take on an IPA. Really interesting, well done and tasty.

06-15-2014 17:55:25 | More by curasowa

alemiester

05-29-2014 00:04:37 | More by alemiester
hipsterbeersnob

4.86/5  rDev +28.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beer caught me pleasantly off guard. I'm not typically a wheat ale fan but I work at a beverage center and it is part of the job to sample our growler selection to review and inform customers to better suggest an agreeable beer to their liking. That said,
A. the beer pours a beautiful dark clear red/amber hue with a modest head that dissipates with minimal lacing.

S. Smells almost as good as it tastes, fresh floral hop notes up front followed by malt, biscuits and honey.

T. Very well balanced, walking a thin line between bitter and sweet. The hops are ever present but never overpowering. Floral and citrus rather than earthy and piney.

M. Thicker than water, but thinner than syrup. Pleasant on the tongue, good for a sip or a slam.

O. A very pleasing often overlooked India Pale Wheat. The perfect beer for someone who is curious about IPA's or even the experienced IPA lover.

05-21-2014 18:07:08 | More by hipsterbeersnob

03-20-2014 02:10:12 | More by lovindahops
GreesyFizeek

3.65/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

On tap at the Tap and Mallet in Rochester, NY.

Pours a golden hazy yellow into a Dundee hefeweizen glass. Half an inch of head or so, minimal lacing.

Nice aroma. Lots of hops of the herbal, dank, and piney slant.

The taste is a bit more muted, but ultimately follows the lead of the aroma. Some wheat bitterness is present, but this is ultimately an IPA brewed with wheat rather than a hoppy wheat beer.

Slightly thin body, a bit too watery, really. Crisp mouthfeel and carbonation.

I'd like to try more from this brewery, but this falls a little bit short.

03-18-2014 01:37:25 | More by GreesyFizeek