Double Duckpin - Union Craft Brewing Company

Maryland, United States

Beer added by: gillagorilla on 10-29-2013

Reviews by starrdogg:
4.31/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.28/5  rDev +0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

32 ounce Howler/Growlete/whatever you guys call it.

I've had this on tap before and liked it. Not enough to review but now it's time. Coming to you guys live, what do I think of this beer! I pour this brew and its outstanding! WestCoast sunset body with a touch of white cloudy skies. Deep and brassy! Looks like I am going to enjoy this brew.

Now I smell my prey before me! Huge citrus hits first that reminds me of Grapefruits and ripe tangerines. A tropical vibe going on in the middle with tropical fruit and flowers. Very nice and refreshing. The backend there is notes of cedar and resin. Nice hoppy touch.

Taste test time! First hits the palate with citrus, Tangerine and Grapefruits.Flows through a touch of tropical fruits mainly Passion Fruit and a subtle Papaya. Which leaves a dank resinous hop flavor that dominates the aftertaste. The malts are sweet with a crackerish touch. This finishes semi-dry with a clean, lingering bitterness. The feel is medium built on the palate with mellow fizzy carbonation.

Overall: This is probably one of the better DIPAs to come out of Central Baltimore. It's firing on all cylinders yet it seems a bit restrained. It wants to be great, yet not adventurous. I Would drink this daily if it weren't on Rotation status. I can't wait until they can this brew. This brew is clean, balanced and on the verge of being raw. This brew is Recommended!

4.4/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

I went into my favorite store looking for Sculpin, and they were out. My beer guy suggested this as an alternative, and I accepted only to be polite because the guy has been generous in setting aside some rare finds for me in the past. I was extremely surprised by this. Great lacing, body, etc., etc, but most importantly, this was simply delicious.

3.82/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Shroud0fDoom for this one from the NBS BIF #1 box. 120z can poured into 10oz goblet. Poured hazy/lightly cloudy orangeish-amber color with 1/4 inch of light khaki head that had good retention and lacing.

A huge frontal assault of pine and weed hit me in the nose as soon as I cracked the can. Those aspects had an even stronger presence as I poured into the glass, and there was no malt scent to be found. On the tongue the story was pretty similar, although some malt did come through to provide a base for all those bold hops., and, as a bonus, there was a citrus component on the finish.

The body was solid without being heavy, and the beer had a clean, dry finish. Drinkability was very good. Were they regularly available to me, I would drink them regularly. This is a must try if you see it, and probably worth setting up a trade for.

4.38/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

la mousse n'existe pas. Un nez fort; d'agrumes, un peu de malt. Le gout produit qqch précis- comme des houblons sarachi ace. C-à-dire un peu diacétyle, mais vraiment une somme parfaite. Le malt est là légèrement. Jsuis étonné que la marque est telle. Une bière savoureux.

4.06/5  rDev -4.9%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a hazy amber color; the head perks to an inch or so and leaves some splashes of lacing

Smell: Tropical tones galore, with mango, grape and pineapple most apparent

Taste: A bready malt base that is rather subtle as the tropical flavors dominate; the grape is quite pronounced (and different) but the mango and pineapple are more to be expected; floral and fruity, with the finish bringing pine and onion; dank and resinous throughout

Mouthfeel: Medium to full body with moderate carbonation

Overall: A nice Double IPA to cap off my trip to Baltimore; had this one and the Gose and came away impressed by this brewery

4.3/5  rDev +0.7%

To keep this simple: If you enjoy a strong citrus complex with your hops in a superbly balanced IPA then this is for you.....take it from Mr Cakes!
Addendum :I have lowered my score on this beer. My initial review was on a wonderful batch. However, the last 2 batches that have come out in the last 8 months are different. It's almost to the point of a different beer. Union's quality control needs work. They are being inconsistent with their batches of this beer.

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bold, Brash, Rind, Booze

“Double” is an understatement, this beer delivers full throttle hop bitterness. While Double Duckpin isn’t a palate destroyer per se, it still takes a sick type of hophead to keep up. Not to be crass, but to me, burping up hops is a sure sign of an IPA that’s destined to do more than simply wake up your taste buds. My nostrils are burnt with thick hop resin, my palate is dominated, and the 8.5 percent is a bit “in your face,” although it’s never hot. Yes, I had a lot of fun sipping on the onslaught of hops in this elixir. Worth the hunt.

Look 3.75 | Smell 4.00 | Taste 4.25 | Feel 4.25 | Overall 4.25

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #105 (OCT 2015)

4.55/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

4.01/5  rDev -6.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Full disclaimer, this is not my style of IPA. But, I can appreciate it for what it is. It's sticky, resinous, piney hops, on top of sticky, piney, resinous hops. For that flavor profile, it's truly in a class by itself. You have to really enjoy this sort of flavor profile to really like this beer. For what it is, it's pretty nice. But, it's definitely not my style.

3.84/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev -2.6%

Fantastic ! Oh my, really enjoying this canned dipa. A great mixture of things going on with this. Tropical scented hops on the nose. Full flavored yet easy drinking for the abv. Trading in the winter can cause some concern undoubtedly. But when you come home from work to see beer mail waiting for you it's always a pleasant thing. Made even more pleasant by the fact that I opened up the box just to have this already chilled for me. Yeah !

4.27/5  rDev 0%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.15/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +5.4%

4.2/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

4.86/5  rDev +13.8%

Can fresh from the brewery. All around solid beer with really stunning hop character, like Valencia orange and coconut. I regret buying only one six pack.

4.25/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +11.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.32/5  rDev +1.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Double Duckpin from Union Craft Brewing Company