Balt Altbier - Union Craft Brewing Company

Balt AltbierBalt Altbier

Union Craft Brewing Company visit their website
Maryland, United States

Altbier |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: yourefragile on 07-05-2012)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Balt Altbier Alström Bros
4.75/5  rDev +24.3%

4.52/5  rDev +18.3%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.5/5  rDev +17.8%

4.25/5  rDev +11.3%

Delicious. Got me into the Alt style. Toasty. Will always order it if it's on tap or in a can.

On tap at Metropolitan.

Pours a clear dark mahogany ruby with a retentive creamy head and light lacing. Robust, rich aroma of roast malt, caramel, smoke, and berry. Medium soft body, light carbonation, creamy smooth texture. Rich malt flavor, caramel, toffee and chocolate with light earthy hops in the finish. Excellent flavor and balance, this was a treat.

4.21/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Poured from the can into a pint glass with a moderately aggressive hand. This is a hometown beer for sure - the brewery is only a few miles from my house. No perceivable date on the can.

A: Nice dark amber-brown with 1/2 finger of off-white head. Down to a light coating at 2 minutes. Light lacing.

S: Solid, nutty malt with some sweetness. Traces of toffee, dried fruit. Toasted notes with subtle touches of bread.

T: Nutty and malty with a nice bitterness that is present both immediately and throughout. Fairly classic german hop profile. Semi-dry finish. There is definitely some sweetness, but it is not the focal point IMO. Well balanced. Probably a bit more hop bitterness than the typical altbier, but it works. Great flavors of nuts, toasted malt, light toffee, indistinct fruit.

M: Moderate to low carbonation with a moderate body. Fitting for the style. Smooth. Well done.

O: Aside from their "Hampden on Rye" collaboration with Brewer's Art, this is my favorite Union offering. Excellent execution of a traditional style with a subtle American twist. Drinks really well. I particularly enjoy the nuttiness of this brew. Good out of the can, too. Buy it if you see it, for sure.

Prost!

4.13/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Good Lord! I CANnot remember who provided me with this beer in furtherance of Thee CANQuest (TM). EDIT: It was the venerable tone77, my local, in-person trader! Yay! Credit where credit is due, I always say.

From the CAN: "Old World Old School"; "A Brewing Tradition"; "Start a New Tradition Recycle This CAN"; "This German-style Altbier is our nod to an old world, old school ale. The word "Alt" is German for "old", and refers to the traditional style of brewing before lager yeast was discovered. Balt is a dark, copper colored brew with a creamy head, a gentle bitterness and a clean, dry finish. Prost, Hon!"

Ah, the Baltimorons! I had never heard them referred to as such until my first encounter with John Waters. As a movie buff, I was elated to finally meet the man and he was up to his billing. I toast the master of schlock with this beer.

I had my CAN glass at the ready and directly following the Crack!, I instituted an inverted Glug. This resulted in a massive two-plus fingers of dense, light-tan head with great retention. The ex-Old Lady did not dig when I would pour this way, but since we are no longer together, I really don't care what she thinks. Color was more deep-brown than coppery (SRM = > 22, < 27) with NE-quality clarity. Nose had a musky scent, kind of an anise, chocolate and caramel, but heavy. Put some of this in an atomizer, spray it behind your earlobes and stand by, ladies! Mouthfeel was medium, but the tastes of milk chocolate and caramel were immediate and obvious on the tongue. The finish gave it a minty character that was undoubtedly from the hops. This seemed bigger than its advertised 5.5% ABV, but that was no problem for me. This was quite good, but too much on the sweet side for me.

4.12/5  rDev +7.9%

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

a: Chill hazed chestnut brown with golden edges; pours with relatively short lived head.

s: Sweet bread and toasted nuts, traces of grape and leafy hops.

t: Very much malt forward, black bread and strong roasted nuttiness with sweet grapes. Fairly strong lingering hop tingle.

m: Smooth and crisp, surprisingly full bodied.

o: Not a style I know well at all. Looking back over my reviews, of the few I have tried my favorites seem to be bigger, extreme examples. I need to try more traditional examples, this is damn good.

Balt Altbier from Union Craft Brewing Company