Old Pro Gose - Union Craft Brewing Company

Gose |  4.20% ABV

Beer added by: John_M on 08-11-2012

Reviews by yourefragile:
3.75/5  rDev -5.3%

Ladies and gents, I have found my new favorite American-style gose. Just deliciously tart and salty, easy to pound without even trying, I just wish that I had asked for more of them in the recent trade.

4.66/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Can't get to Westbrook's distribution area? Live in the DC metro area? Like Gose style beers? This is THE one for you.

Salty, briny, puckering citrus-y goodness.

Can opens with a pop and a bit of head rushing out the top. Carbonation level is on the higher end, but it's a creamy texture as opposed to a gaseous one. Pour looks like straight Mountain Dew with the froth of a root beer. Solid.

As the beer fills my over sized nostrils, I'm reminded of my years living along the oceanfront. Briny and salty with waves of citrus. Orange and lemon with some wheat. Perhaps a slight bit of funk, but not entirely noticeable unless you were looking for it.

Salt and acidity. That's what this beer does. Once it hits your lips, prepare for an explosion of flavor from this little 4% scrapper. Lemon-Lime acidity with orange and a hint of coriander. The salt is all over the place...not subtle in the slightest (and I'm not one to use it sparingly on food). A bit of sweetness, but less-so than with say the Westbrook. This is straight sour and salt, definitely not one for the uninitiated. Some of the reviews below definitely reflect this.

Mouthfeel is what you would expect for the style. It's a highly chuggable summer beer that goes down fast and furiously. The head does add a bit of a creamy texture, which does eventually dissipate if you can wait for it. I'll take one of these to the face after a run and not even realize that I downed the can in a single, albeit large, gulp.

Overall, this is just a fantastic little beer. Chuggable, thirst quenching, sour deliciousness in a dirt cheap little can. I wouldn't recommend this as a first Gose to somebody who's not used to salt in a brew, but I'd have to guess that they would not be the target audience. I don't live in their distribution network, but I'll pick up a case of the stuff every time I'm across the border. There's currently at least two in my closet as I type this.

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Many thank larryi86 for this little diddy.
a little fruit at first and then citrus and tart. A slight backing of wheat.
Cloudy yellow with a nice white cap.
Very nice thirst quenching quality with the tart balanced with a nice settling malt/wheat foundation. The tart has a very tasty citrus. The salt isn't clear but I can taste in laying on the tongue.
Kinda' light but appropriate. Bubbly and smooth.
I'd like to get more of this one.

4.12/5  rDev +4%

Poured from 12 oz can into shaker pint.

A: Very pale yellow with two finger head with short retention and zero lacing.

S: Tart lemons mixed with salt and coriander. Faint earthy funk lingering around in the back.

T: Lemon juice with a hint of lime. Briny salt and a little coriander.

M: Light and refreshing. Finish is tart and slightly salty.

O: Nice cool down beer on a hot day. Not a normal style for me, but it sure did hit the spot today.

3.75/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

As gose-y a gose as you're gose-ing to get! I love the can art, and the description of the Old Pro reminds me of a few characters I saw growing up on the Jersey shore. Anyway, the smell is a bit citrusy and sour, with a good helping of vinegar. The first sip is a wave of salt on the front of my tongue which quickly dissipates into the sour, bubbly brine of a beer. Besides salt and vinegar, and both flavors are very present with neither being overwhelming, there's a bit of dry wine flavor, like a brut champagne or just a very dry pinot grigio. Almost no aftertaste besides a bit of sour brett flavor, which doesn't last too long an encourages more sips. Not an everyday kinda beer for me, but a good example of a style which I consider a nice occasional treat.

4.03/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%

4.1/5  rDev +3.5%

4.28/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I'm surprised how low the average rating is for this one. Almost passed, but glad my buddy recommended it. Great blend of salt and tart. Super refreshing on a hot summer day.

4.24/5  rDev +7.1%

3.98/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.09/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.5/5  rDev +13.6%

This is one of the best Goses I have had despite the low-ish rating. Don't hesitate to try this one out, it is essentially a more complex Westbrook Gose with less sea salt. Pure money.

3.91/5  rDev -1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.14/5  rDev +4.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

3.69/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

4.05/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

4.75/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Fantastic brew. Tart, slight taste of salt.

4.08/5  rDev +3%