The Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPA - Parallel 49 Brewing Company

The Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPAThe Toques Of Hazzard White Imperial IPA

Parallel 49 Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

(Beer added by: smekermann on 11-28-2013)
4.4/5  rDev +9.2%

speedonthis, Nov 14, 2014
4.31/5  rDev +6.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a cloudy amber color with moderate off-white head. Smell is a lot less hard-hitting than I'd hoped for a double IPA brewed with Nelson hops. You get some faint hop notes, almost all of them consisting of tropical fruit.

Taste is pretty damn good. Again, I saw the Nelson hops on the ingredients list and I kinda assumed this would be an over the top beer for some reason (I guess mainly because most of the Nelson IPAs I've had have had that distinction), but it turned out to be the complete opposite: this beer has a really mellow tone to it: light malt body (and by light I mean you probably won't taste it), supporting a really mellow yet gorgeous hop profile of tropical fruits and mild citrus.

Mouthfeel is similarly grand with medium to low carbonation making this beer a very easy drinker. Alcohol, to me, is completely hidden, though I've seen people say it's noticeable, so your mileage may vary, I guess (a strange statement to make on a beer review site, I know). I personally found it to be almost too drinkable, given its alcohol content. I guess maybe that's my main problem with this beer (which admittedly isn't a very big one) - it doesn't have enough "zing" to make you feel like you're drinking a double IPA. If the alcohol content had been hidden, I wouldn't have placed this above a 6.5, maybe a 7 max. I also don't know if this really fits the definition of a white IPA. The wheat seems very subdued to me, although I guess it does lend the beer a slightly creamier quality.

So anyway, I'll just come out and say this: ToH seems almost identical in taste to P49's earlier Snap, Crackle, Hop. I'm not sure if it's just me tasting this or what, but the hop profile is really similar, as is the body of the beer (except a bit creamier, as I said earlier). It's obviously lacking the rice, so maybe P49 decided to brew this as an answer to all the people complaining about the use of rice in SCH. It definitely seems to follow the same standards: thin malt body, hop profile vehicle. Still, if these things didn't bother you about SCH, they shouldn't bother you here. And if you disliked the rice in SCH, you might be able to appreciate this version of the brew a bit more.

edit: now that I have it again, this beer smells kinda glorious. My nose was probably switched off when I first had it.

smekermann, Nov 28, 2013

bumchilly25, Dec 08, 2013

604growler, Dec 05, 2013

DaftCaskBC, Dec 04, 2013
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.5

A: Pale gold color, slightly cloudy, about three fingers of head with slight lacing on the glass
S: Hoppy, some citrusy and piney aromas in the background, alcoholic and a bit worty
T: Strong hop flavor, nice bitterness, get notes of citrusy/piney hops, finish is a nice hop bitterness with strong alcohol taste
M: Medium body, very well carbonated, slightly dry finish
O: Delicious beer, really nice citrusy hop flavours, fairly bitter at 76 IBUs but quite drinkable for an IIPA, the "white" twist on the IIPA works really, really well - fantastic

ZachT, Jan 05, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +5.5%

Pours a decent head with ok retention but shy lacing.

I can smell pineapples, peaches and oranges. Not a bad start aroma wise I would say.

It tastes like peaches, oranges and some pine needles. A little sweetness. Somewhat bitter.

Medium body and carbonation.

This is one of the best White IPA's I've had. Complex aromas and taste. I'll have to taste it again with fresher taste buds.

Notes: I'm a huge hop head. My favourite is Driftwood's Fat Tug. I drank two Stone IPA's before reviewing this one. This might have saturated some taste buds...

Niceroad77, Nov 19, 2014

Jlefa, Nov 14, 2014

Beervana, Apr 15, 2014

bearchugzzz, Nov 18, 2014

scameron, Saturday at 07:32 PM
3.98/5  rDev -1.2%

Appearance: Light Orange with a moderate amount of head. A bit cloudy, but still a good looking beer.

Aroma: Wonderful sharp, tropical aroma, very similar to snap crackle pop. Alomost seems like they used the same hop profile.

Taste: Tropical assault, just wonderfull. Citrussy bitterness. Orange, lemons, pineapple.

Muthfeel: A little light for anIPA, but good slickness. Hoppy goodness.

Overall it seems like this is a white ipa version of Snap crackle pop. Sooo similar, but the taste isn't as intense. Th body is much lighter. Great beer, but I prefer Snap.

Boozecamel, Dec 02, 2013
3.9/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours into an imperial nonic a dull lighter golden with a thick frothy white head that shows good lacing.Very citrusy in the nose with lemon really showing thru,some herbal hops underneath a bit of toasted grain as well.A big splash of pithy lemon flavors on the palate with some aspirin and a slight medicinal note,quite dry with a bit of toasted cereal grain.Not bad you wouldn't know it was wheat based if it didn't say really.

oberon, Saturday at 08:54 PM
3.89/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

650ml bottle.

This beer pours a cloudy amber with two fingers of off-white head and visible carbonation. The head mostly dissipates within a few minutes, leaving behind some bubbles across the top of the beer and some streaks on the side of the glass.

The smell is fruity! I'm mainly picking up pineapple and melon. Very appealing.

The taste is an interesting combination of tropical fruits, grassy bitterness and pine. I like it, but I'm not sure I could drink much of it. It's pretty bitter (and it's 9.2%). I probably would be better off splitting this with someone!

Note to self: maybe stick to IPAs instead of Imperial/Double IPAs.

souvenirs, Jan 18, 2014
3.89/5  rDev -3.5%

App: Slightly hazy but a nice crisp gold color. A very nice white head with decent retention and very good lacing.

Nose: Banana, pineapple, grain and malt up front. A little citrus and tropical fruits.

Taste: Some sweet tropical fruits and crisp carbonation up front. Very nice balance of sweet and bitter. Very clean finish.

travolta, Dec 25, 2013