Banana Hammock Summer Hefeweizen - Parallel 49 Brewing Company

British Columbia, Canada

Hefeweizen |  6.00% ABV

Availability: Summer

Beer added by: souvenirs on 06-30-2013

Unfiltered and true to tradition, this hefeweizen is brewed with wheat, pilsner malt, and German hops. The yeast used in this beer creates a light tasting beer with aromas of bananas and cloves.
3.29/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.25

L: Pours a hazy golden color with slightly less head than I would expect from a hefeweizen.

S: The aroma is rather faint. Mostly bananas and clove, with a little booziness slipping through.

T: Uninspiring, but not bad. It is zesty up front and is aptly named because flavor the banana flavor is the most prominent with some clove spiciness that comes through. The finish is very clean, almost to the point of being watery.

F: The beer is very light on the tongue. Well carbonated, but too watery for my taste in hefeweizens.

O: A solid hefeweizen if one wants something light and breezy to drink on a warm day. It doesn't compare to my favorite hefeweizens and it is not as strongly banana flavored as some other banana inspired brews that I have enjoyed, but it is not a bad beer by any means.

While it did not affect my score, my biggest complaint is packaging. I purchased a bomber at discount from a shelf-clearing sale, but I could really only see myself purchasing this again in 6 or 12 pack format if it ever caught my eye looking for something to drink in the summer. Which is a shame because I think it is above average.

I enjoyed this beer poured from a 650ml bomber poured into an Erdinger commemorative World Cup weissbier glass and drank at apx. 60F.

3.36/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pale hazy yellow with about an inch of loose white head. Not bad.

Smell: Musky fruit

Taste: Some grassy notes, a touch astringent at the front, the musky fruit shows up in the middle along with a mild sweetness, and the beer finishes dry and a bit spicy. Distinct banana notes throughout, but especially in the aftertaste. I would like a bit more wheat or yeast edge, and some more tartness, but this stuff was pretty tasty none the less.

Mouthfeel: Something about the combination of peppy carbonation and the somewhat light body and watery mouthfeel was a bit off-putting to me.

Overall: A pretty decent hefe, but it didn't blow me away. Still perfectly serviceable, and a very nice summer beer.

3.73/5  rDev +0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Parallel 49 'Banana Hammock Summer Hefeweizen' @ 6.0% , served from a 650 ml bottle purchased for $6.40

A-pour is a hazy gold from bottle to glass with a small white head leaving a minimal lace ring along the weizen glass

T-sweet start , bitter finish

MF-big/good carbonation , medium body , mellow on the palate

Ov-ok beer , interesting take on a German summer beer , should give HS 'King Heffy' some friendly rivalry as BC favourite Hefe

prost LampertLand

4.03/5  rDev +8.9%

Yup, a 70s themed Hefe with a comedy label but it delivers. The taste is big and bold with all the banana and clove notes upfront and ready to party. Like Hale's El Yefe this is a fun beer that is Hefe pushed to the max. Not overly ABV like King Hefe but still a huge Hefe that I will go to many times this summer.

4.05/5  rDev +9.5%

This is a really nice hefeweizen from Parallel 49. It pours a satisfyingly cloudy amber and tastes of ripe banana up front and ends on a slightly more sour, yeasty note. Fairly medium-thick, chewy body. Despite the abundant banana flavors, it doesn't feel overly sweet - it's really nicely balanced, in my opinion. Carbonation is also pretty smooth, not overly aggressive, which makes for some really easy drinking.

The only thing I would've changed about this is the name: Banana Hammock. First of all, that just makes everyone think this will be some banana-infused beer (actually, P49 has had to release a public service announcement on their Facebook to tell people that this beer does not actually contain any fruit). It's also not a very inspired name, I dunno. In any case, if you can get over the name, you'll find a really great summer beer and probably one of the best hefeweizens you'll have had in BC.

edit: looks like the 2014 batch sucked, lol, glad I didn't have any

3.88/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

650ml bottle bought at the brewery and poured into a weizen glass.

Appearance: cloudy golden colour, like honey or caramel. An inch or so of head which gradually dissipated to a few millimetres.
Smell: Interesting. I definitely pick up the banana, but it's more like banana cream pie than just plain bananas. Yeasty, some sourness.
Taste: banana, banana, banana. Not at all bitter (label says 8 IBU). A bit sweet.
F: medium-bodied. Some heat in the finish.

This is pretty good! It's definitely something different for me, and I'm not sure I'd drink it often, but I like it.

Banana Hammock Summer Hefeweizen from Parallel 49 Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.