Lil’ Red Sour Cherry Berliner Weisse - Parallel 49 Brewing Company

Parallel 49 Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Berliner Weissbier |  4.40% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: Derek on 08-08-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

kjyost, May 11, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -12.5%

scameron, Mar 20, 2014
1.25/5  rDev -51.4%

Mmmm....burned plastic. Need I say more? I normally don't bother reviewing stuff, but this one made me make an exception, mainly to warn others. This is the 2013 batch, not sure if there are/will-be others so YMMV. Not sure what exactly went wrong here, I do remember that this tasted like one of the 'off' flavours from the sensory course I took a while back.

tbadiuk, Mar 18, 2014

zduerr, Sep 26, 2013

deNevers, Sep 24, 2013

billab914, Sep 10, 2013
3.41/5  rDev +32.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a 650ml bottle bought today at the BC Liquor Store. I think it was $5.50 + deposit. I'm super excited to try this, as Parallel 49 is my favourite brewery and I'm always eager to try new beers from them.

A: hazy and red. I almost want to say pink, but it's more of a pale red, if that makes sense. About a finger of head that dissipated fairly quickly leaving just a bit of lacing around the rim of the glass.
S: Hm. A hint of something sour and fruity. I'm not sure I would be able to tell it were cherry from the smell - I'm picking up a more general red fruit/berry smell.
T: Most fruit beers I've tried have been sweet, sometimes sickeningly so, but this one is tart and sour. Interesting. Quite crisp.
F: A bit thin and very bubbly.

Would I buy it again? I'm really not sure. Possibly.

souvenirs, Sep 07, 2013
1.93/5  rDev -24.9%

I am a pretty big fan of Parallel 49's stuff. Seeing that they had a sour cherry in this style made me so pleased that I just had to buy it...and that was as far as my excitement went. I'm not entirely sure if I got an off bottle or not, but reading reviews on other websites, I'm going to guess that, no, I did not. Something funky happened with this beer and I'm not sure what.

A - It was really pretty. Poured a nice hazy red color; pretty much what I expected.

S - This is where it began to go downhill for me. The smell was so off-putting that I almost didn't even want to put it into my mouth. No cherry on the nose for me, or anyone else that I allowed to give it a try. Sort of smelled like really bad rotten fruit mixed with sour ocean water?

T - Even worse than the smell. Again, it was rotten fruit, with sea water. Kind of reminded me of how I imagine decaying barnacles might taste like. If they rolled in fruit first.

M - Probably it's only redeeming quality. Was smooth and could have been easy to drink if it wasn't as foul as it was.

O - I wasn't really expecting anything from this beer when I bought it. I'd hoped for cherry, but it wasn't there. It almost feels like something happened with the yeast. I MIGHT try another bottle since it was cheap ($5.50) or try to find a sample on tap somewhere and then edit this review. But for now, I would definitely not recommend this beer to anyone. If you can pass it around a circle of metal heads who are all up on their beer and every single person in the group either spat it out or would have rather washed it down with some pil, there's an issue.

Keep in mind that this brewery IS a good brewer though. Just this one went really really wrong.

rugbykimmie, Sep 03, 2013