Snap, Crackle, Hop Imperial Rice IPA - Parallel 49 Brewing Company

Snap, Crackle, Hop Imperial Rice IPASnap, Crackle, Hop Imperial Rice IPA

Parallel 49 Brewing Company visit their website
British Columbia, Canada

Beer added by: smekermann on 08-23-2013

Imperial Rice IPA brewed exclusively with New Zealand Motueka hops.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 80 | Reviews: 27
4.77/5  rDev +22.9%
look: 4 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Picked this up one a recommendation on the Canada forum.

I had heard it was coming out, but was very sceptical about rive in a beer, associating it with major swill. Will have to rethink it, but it seems to lighten the body of this beer without any negatives.

The real star here is the intense Moteuka.

A: Pours a deep amber/orange, with a three finger slightly off white head.

S: Smells amazing. Just such an intense, sharp, spicy aroma! Tropicals in the background.

T: The taste is equally intense, with just full on hoppiness. Spicy at the start with tropical and citrus finish. Was so close to giving this a 5. Alcohol is hidden well.

M: Mothfeel is light for an imperial, but with an oily slicness that I like in a hop bomb.

O:Overall this is an amazing beer. Will be drinking as much of this as I can before it dissapears!

4.89/5  rDev +26%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Parallel 49 announced that they had released beer earlier this week on their Facebook page. By the time I strolled into their tasting room a couple of days later, they had ran out of bottles so I settled for a nice growler of it (priced at a reasonable $17 CAD)

Appearance is an attractive hazy amber with a smooth, off-white head standing about 1" tall. The aroma is positively entrancing, with nuances of ripe tropical fruit and citrus aromas that assault your nostrils.

Initial taste is basically the smell amplified by a factor of ten. It has an absolutely gorgeous hop profile: again, overwhelming ripe tropical fruit, followed by some citrus zest, followed by a weed-y, piney aftertaste that is really quite pungent and delicious. This beer is pretty much all hops, due to its use of rice: it has a tremendously light body, with almost no malt interference whatsoever. It also happens to be bone-dry which, combined with almost non-existent embittering beta acids, makes for an absolutely lethal drinking experience. I positively inhaled the first pint of my grower before even realizing what was going on and deciding to slow down.

My only complaint, which undoubtedly has a lot to do with the format I chose to experience the beer in, is that carbonation is a bit on the light side. I didn't really ding its rating based on that, but I have a sneaking suspicion that if I'd had it in a bottle I would've given it a 5/5. Maybe I'll update this review accordingly once I taste it in a bottled format.

All in all, Parallel 49 once again blows my mind (and, more importantly, taste buds) with another amazing Imperial IPA. I was even a bit skeptical of this beer, seeing as it had rice and I'd never had a rice IPA before. All sorts of assumptions were made. Those assumptions were completely discarded upon the first sip of this. I think I may like this even better than I liked Hopnotist.

edit: this is a review of the first batch, when it came out. I've had later batches of this and they haven't even come close to the glory of the first batch. If I were to rate this beer again, it'd be around the 3.5-3.75 range. Still no body to speak of but the hop profile is anemic as hell nowadays. Underwhelming as hell, especially knowing how good the first batch was. Leaving this review up for historical purposes, though.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »