Sugar Shack - Third Street Brewhouse

good

Third Street Brewhouse visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: morimech on 12-16-2012)

Love the story about the monks making maple syrup that they use in this beer.

Appearance: Dark brown with a toffee tannish foam, it does not foam easy, so I recommend a slightly aggressive non-tipped pour to get a proper head on this beer.

Smell: A slight maple sweetness with a earthy nut like smell.

Taste: Slight biter maple stout like flavor, unique in it's stout with dry maple taste. Stout like bitterness and mouth feel.

Mouthfeel: the maple completes this beer as it is lighter in body then most stouts yet the maple dryness completes this beer profile nicely.

Overall: A nicely done stout with a nice dry maple flavor that completes this great beer.

xmorgan, Nov 23, 2013
4.38/5  rDev +22.7%

A- Black, black, black. I couldn't see anything through it if I wanted to. A 1/2" brownish creamy head fades almost completely but very slowly.

S- Roasted coffee, chocolate, and caramel malt. It provides the same calming effect that my morning coffee does. It warms you up. It's not bursting out of the glass, but it's not faint either.

T- All the flavors of the aroma, plus a very well balanced malt sweetness with the maple syrup. The hop bitterness is present, but fades quickly in a very pleasant way.

M- The carbonation is mild, but it's silky on top of that. It's not sessionable, but it's friendly enough to want to have it again.

O- I love this beer. The third street brew house is off to a great start and this is a fine example of what west central minnesota has to offer. I would buy at least a six pack every winter if they continue to offer this. Can't wait to see what they come out with next.

scot_chale, Feb 02, 2013
4.35/5  rDev +21.8%

I've been waiting all week to have this beer. Last night I found some and decided to start my Sunday off with this sweet breakfast beer.

A: Dark as coffee. Short-lived head, low carbonation in pour. Perfect for Sunday breakfast.

S: Sweetness, maple, carmel. It's smells sweeter than any beer I've smelled. But sort of what I expected with a name like Sugar Shack.

T: It's sweet but not as sweet as it smells. There are roasted malts hiding under the maple and hints of timid hops. This would be a good introduction to dark beers for your pal that is leary of them.

M: It's smooth however it's a little thin and pretty low in carbonation. I don't mind that, I'd rather have low carbonation than super fizzy beer.

O: It's another great beer from Third Street. I don't know if you could have two in a row of this particular brew, after trying this beer I had a balanced out my tastebuds with Third Street's Bitter Neighbor and that countered the sweetness. I was unable to find this in a six-pack, but found it in a 12 pack variety sampler.

kristenrae8, Dec 16, 2012
4.33/5  rDev +21.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

AROMA: Faint caramel coffee.
APPEARANCE: Very black; edging color of red amber even has trouble penetrating.

The promise of maple in Third Street Brewhouse's offering of Sugar Shack Maple Stout does not fail - it is there AND I am happy that they kept it in the flute section rather than on the trombone or tuba sections: it is a accent, rather than a base. This is my third sampling from the Third Street Brewhouse (TSB) and I like this one one the best of the three I've had even though it is only in my second favorite consuming category. I think this is a fine introductory Stout Style for new consumers of stout - who can learn that the stout style has many personalities to explore. I admire the effort and the beer is nicely drinkable and can stand up to a cigar (but probably NOT a maduro!).

ONE ISSUE: This being my third sampling from TSB I am concerned about the glaring lack of head and head retention. While I did not expect this in their lighter offerings, I most certainly did expect it in their "black IPA" and this "maple Stout". The TSB pours had minimal head and all samplings have had zero lacing. I did NOT include this review reservation in ANY of my reviews of TSB beers thus far because it isn't a critical factor for me in most other styles, but on this, my third, I thought I should mention it as many place it highly on their expectations in style. And I too, most certainly DO EXPECT a two finger creamy tan head PLUS very stubborn lacing on ANY stout style.

GoldHorde, Feb 06, 2013

MN_Beerticker, Dec 27, 2012

Hopstout, Feb 03, 2013

beerguy23, Mar 04, 2014

Darrell2777, Feb 10, 2013

M1A2, Jan 30, 2013

deonreds, Apr 10, 2013
4.11/5  rDev +15.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams "Perfect Pint" glass.

Appearance: Pours a dark blackish brown with a hint of ruby at the bottom. Lots of rising bubbles and a solid three fingers of tan head with decent retention. Leaves a good amount of lacing around the glass.

Smell: A fairly sweet dark syrupy aroma. Sweet dark roasted malts with hints of chocolate, dark bread, coffee, milk, caramel, toffee, biscuit, and yeast. The maple syrup is pretty noticeable giving off a chocolate pancake like aroma. Sweet but not overly cloying. Hop presence is pretty light with subtle earthy hints in the background. A pretty decent sweet stout smell.

Taste: Like it smells, a dark syrup driven taste that is sweet but smooth and not overly thick. Sweet maple syrup mixes with dark roasted malts giving notes of chocolate, coffee, caramel, toffee, toast, biscuit, cream, milk, and yeast. Literally tastes like liquid pancake with a topping of chocolate. A very subtle earthy presence of hops towards the finish. Pretty solid for a sweet/milk stout.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium to high level of carbonation. Very creamy and smooth. Moderately syrupy and slick.

Overall: A pretty good lighter sweet stout. Good use of syrupy maple sweetness that avoids becoming too sweet.

MattyG85, Jan 22, 2013
4.03/5  rDev +12.9%

First start off with a nice stout and this one does that.
Nice dark head. Drippy lacing. Black body with garnet highlight.
Aroma is a little tight but holds soft roast towards coffee and a light sweetness hinting at the flavors to follow.
The maple is done very nicely. It blends and accents but never dominates or overpowers. It is like a soft layer of maple brown sugar across a dark chocolate/coffee wafer. Enough bitterness to prevent any residual sweetness and also a crumbly drying on the finish.
Every so slightly larger than moderate body. Real smooth with soft yet ample carbonation.
I'm pretty impressed. A good drinking stout enhanced with a really well done addition of maple syrup. A nice winter ale. In contrast to the previous reviews, I'm on my second bottle without flinching.

garymuchow, Dec 28, 2012

sgttibbs, Dec 22, 2013

Hessian257, Apr 06, 2013

The darkest single stout I've ever encountered... pitch black with a half finger of khaki brown head that sinks to a thin collar pretty quickly.

Loads of maple, caramel, molasses... very aromatic for the genre. Toffee and leather. Brown ale aromas and sugar.

Dry brown sugar flavors, french toast and dull coffee bean, earthy peat and cola. Unique.

This is pretty damn interesting, not like any other straight up single stout I can think of.

yamar68, Mar 31, 2013

Eric908, Jan 01, 2014

alelover, Apr 07, 2013

Serving: Fridge temp bottle (undated) poured into hefeweizen glass.

Look: Opaque black with ruby highlights. Moderate pour produces a sizable tan head that settles down to a cap that stays all the way down to the bottom of the glass. Lacing is relatively clingy.

Aroma: Well roasted malts with and a subtle but very apparent undercurrent of sweet 'sticky' (yes it smells sticky) maple syrup, and maybe some vanilla.

Taste: Begins with mostly roasted malts, and a pronounced wooden(?) flavor with a bit of the sweet syrup on the back end. Finish doesn't linger too long, but leaves you wanting another sip.

Feel: Medium, maybe a little on the light side. Finish is dry but not sticky.

Overall: Being from St. John's I was really excited to try this beer! (Yes, the maple syrup is real, and does come from an abbey, but it isn't really harvested by monks anymore, it's mostly students and professors.) I was expecting the maple syrup to be as present in the flavor as it was in the aroma, but I haven't had much experience with beers of this type. The result is a wonderful stout that shows off the maple syrup without letting it steal the show. Those expecting something super sweet and syrupy may be disappointed, but I loved it!

enjambed, Nov 15, 2014