Sugar Shack - Third Street Brewhouse

2.25/5  rDev -37.3%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

2.5/5  rDev -30.4%

2.79/5  rDev -22.3%

A new beer from a Minnesota brewery, so I had to try it. Released in the last couple weeks, I believe. Tasted 19 January 2013.

Pours quite dark, nearly black, looking more like an imperial stout than a 6.5% lightweight. One finger of medium-tan head, okay retention, some lacing. Dark brown at the edges, allowing just a bit of light through. Nice color, but light on the head.

Smell is a smooth base stout, which I can't actually tell all that much about, topped with a hunk of wood and a chunk of maple sugar. It's funny, I recently had a small taste of this beer, and found it much more woody. Here I'm getting quite a bit more maple sugar. Not sure if that's variation in my senses, or in the beer. But it certainly feels more maple sugary. I like that dark sweetness, and it's quite a nice complement to the stout.

Taste is thin, woody, and with a bitterness that reminds me of over-steeped tea. The wood blends into nuts, a little like walnut shells, as someone astutely pointed out. Under-sweet, and just weird. I'm not liking this, and I don't know if I'll be finishing the glass. The main issue is that tannic bitterness, which really doesn't work for me. It blends into an over-roasted bitterness, and the combination is a problem.

Mouthfeel is okay. Medium-bodied, slick, medium-low carbonation. A little on the flat side, a little oily. Lasting, though I wish it weren't. Passable.

I'm not digging this beer. The flavor is just odd, and not enjoyable. That, combined with the mouthfeel, makes for a beer that I don't really find myself wanting to drink.

Sugar Shack from Third Street Brewhouse