National Premium - National Brewing Company

Maryland, United States

Euro Pale Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: lionking on 09-21-2012

3.09/5  rDev n/a

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a pale yellow color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of grains, some malts. Taste is crisp, grains, kind of mild, just a slight hint of hops. Feels light in the mouth and overall is kind of lacking in flavor, a mediocre beer. (262 characters)

3.15/5  rDev n/a

National Premium is a Pretty Decent Beer,I Used to drink swimming pools full of this stuff way back in the day,and it seems they have not changed the recipe much since then,still a Nice, Dry, Crisp Beer with a bit more Hop taste than your Average American Macro Brews,Unfortunately the 6pack I bought was not Fresh @ all, and actually was quite old [ almost 6 months old in fact] which is too bad,because I can Imagine Fresh,it is quite Good,and on tap,extremely Good!
Pours out a Golden pale yellow color and looks pretty much like any other American Macro Lager.
I Like the fact that you can Taste a bit of Hops with this Beer,it's not a Hoppy beer by any means,but next to say a Bud,or Coors,you can actually tell they brewed it with some Hops..lol;)
I Would say National Premium is a cut above most American Macro Brews,and if I could find it Fresh all the time,probably would become one of my GO2 Macro Lagers,which I Really like to drink when I am having a BBQ,Party/or just want to drink some good ole American Lager Beer ~Cheers and Peace2All. (1,051 characters)

3.24/5  rDev n/a

This beer is produced by Fordham Brewing Company Dover, DE and reintroduced after some time off the market. As the label says: It is a "pale dry beer", Established 1936 is brewed of finest grains and flavored with hand picked imported hops, brought to you in brown bottles to protect the beer from light and is served best at approximately thirty eight degrees temperature. I am not a beer connoisseur yet but I decided to review this "local brew" (I am from Delaware) but I have tried a lot of beers from all over the world from State Line liquors and being you can only buy it in Maryland as of now and the fact it was in the local newspapers recently I couldn't help but review it as soon as I saw it appear on BA. This one tastes like an old school macro beer National Bohemian) crossed with a micro brew/ fresh hops taste. The nostalgia / history attached to it makes me like it more than the taste alone yet very drinkable. Best of both worlds- micro with a macro twist. Has bottling date stamped on. Pretty simple labeling- can tell it's "new". check this one out for it's local history. (1,094 characters)

3.27/5  rDev n/a

Poured from a bottle into a six inch national premium glass. Full 2-3 finger head in the glass. Nice bubble action in the glass.

A grassy nose with a bitter hoppy taste. Mouthfeel is crisp and dry, Overall a very different beer than the typcial beer today. Not the typical macro beer, nor the typcial malty craft lager. More suble than that. Bitter taste vs more typical sweet lager. (386 characters)

3.33/5  rDev n/a

Saw the display near the back of the beer section of the store. Like mgk302, I was also drawn to the National Brewing Company nostalgia and thought it would be fun to try. My perception of taste was likely raised because I *wanted* it to taste good. Figured, if nothing else, it would be a decent crab or deck BBQ beer. Nice clear gold in the glass with about 1/2 inch of pale yellow foam on top that quickly began to drop. Sparkling carbonation (like a champagne) with a light fruity hops scent in the nose. Initial taste was surprisingly fruity, a bit of sweet citrus hops. Not bad, but not really what I expected. Calling it a pale lager I figured there would be a bit more pine or spice, and a malty body. But this tastes like the brewers are catering to the growing "Blue Moon" segment of beer drinkers. Even so, it was really quite refreshing and, though definitely not something you would drink by itself and celebrate as a "craft" beer, I'd say it's a leg up on all macros and something I'd like to try on tap--especially with food. Not bad. And really fresh, given its "local" production. (1,097 characters)

3.53/5  rDev n/a

No reviewed needed. This is Natty Bo on steriods. If you ever thought "man I love Natty Bo, if only it was better" you would have this.

Great beer your a backyard BBQ when it is warm out.

Usually I give a full review for a beer . This one is just very easy and anyone who knows about National Bohemian knows this already (323 characters)

3.63/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Okay, so I finally scored National Premium at a beer store in Hagerstown, MD. I wanted desperately to find this stuff on tap, but I guess I'll have to be satisfied with the bottle. Almost immediately, the first thing I notice is that the label is starting to fall off. Okay, that's not good. They should get their act together and fix that. Presentation is important!

All right, here we go. National Premium poured into a standard pint glass:

Appearance: Pours a nice, clean pale golden color into the glass with a very bubbly one-finger width white head that retains its shape pretty well. Minimal lacing.

Aroma: There's definitely a grassy smell with hoppy undertones that I like. So far so good.

Taste: My initial impression is that the crispness is very good, and I like the slight hoppiness on the tongue. Bitterness is definitely present on the back end, but not overly forceful. It has a nice, clean, dry finish. I like that.

Mouthfeel: Slightly too thin for my taste, but I like the crispness of it and the carbonation runs over the tongue well.

Overall: I had been seeking this one out for quite some time, mostly for nostalgia's sake, and I am not disappointed at all. I am not sure what accounts for the poor rating from the Brothers; I actually think this is slightly above average. I would like to try it on tap, but we'll see how long that takes. I would definitely (and will definitely) drink it again. (1,440 characters)

3.83/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

National Premium has a medium, off-white head and a clean, somewhat bubbly golden appearance, with minimal lacing. The aroma is rich and full- deep, pungent barley malt and piney hops. Taste is of these, but with an unfortunate paper back taste. There is a pleasant hop bitterness in the under taste. Mouthfeel is light to medium, and National Premium finishes crisp, clean, refreshing, and highly drinkable. Overall, this is very good.

RJT (442 characters)

4.25/5  rDev n/a

A very crisp pilsner with a tinge of American accent. Biscuity, grassy, light-to-medium body, a decent hop presence that - especially when on tap - has a kiss of pine sap to it. The bitterness in the aftertaste could be a bit more lively in order to stand comparison with a great pilsner, but it's not offensive. Also, the lacing is a bit weak when from the bottle.

Those claiming this beer is just Natty Boh+ are dead wrong. It has more body and flavor by a wide margin (471 characters)

National Premium from National Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 9 ratings.