1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Newburgh NewBurton IPA - Newburgh Brewing Company

Newburgh NewBurton IPA
No picture uploaded.

Newburgh Brewing Company visit their website
New York, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  7.10% ABV

NewBurton IPA is our take on a traditional Burton-on-Trent style IPA. That means we stayed true to the IPA’s English roots, from our hops to our malt (but not our accents). Our IPA is hoppy, but not in the “strip the enamel off your teeth”- kind of way. It weighs in at just over 7% ABV, which means it’s not quite sessionable; but, it’s still extremely balanced, drinkable and smooth. As you take in the delicious aroma of English hops while settling in with a NewBurton IPA, we hope you’ll share that same sentiment. Cheers!

(Beer added by: Jason on 07-14-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Newburgh NewBurton IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 22 | Reviews: 6 | Show All Ratings:
BeerTwigs

4.88/5  rDev +27.7%

I tasted this beer fresh out of the tanks, at the brewery and at the Golden Rail Ale House. All 3 times, this beer was delicious. You will notice a common theme in my review. "Balance" ... This is one of the first Burton IPA's I have had and it's an awesome style and beer.

A: Clean, Golden Color with a decent amount of head, good retention and lacing.

S: Good Aroma with English Hops and malty balance

T: These beer tastes great and like I said, Very balanced. Although I enjoy bitter beers and a lot of hops, this was different. A good balance of malt and hops which allow you to enjoy the bitterness it has without being overdone.

M: Medium bodied and smooth.

0: Great! I would drink this beer at any time of year and any time of the day. Burton IPA is an old, but original style that you see far and few between. This beer is an excellent example and I definitely recommend trying it. Its drinkable and at 7%, isn't over the top. Enjoy it while it lasts. Cheers!

07-18-2012 20:27:23 | More by BeerTwigs
bastardwizard

4.65/5  rDev +21.7%

Tried a pint of this at the brewery's tap room. Disclosure: I'm just a man who likes good beer, and don't have much experience in the in-depth review department. This is also a first impression.

I've always been a big fan of IPAs. And I've tried an awful lot of them- it seems most craft brewers have one or more. Some are unique, but most are not all_that_different from others.

Newburton is the first IPA I've had in a long, long time that really struck me as different. I'm not even sure I can put it in context with others (the last IPA that caused a similar reaction for me was Dogfish 90.) It's certainly not one of those over-bitter KO-punch affairs that one often sees in IPAs.

The most interesting aspect of this beer is how balanced it is. It has a stiff hoppy bite to it, but not too much of one (calling it bitter like some IPAs are is a bit of a stretch, but it's by no means bland.) And it has a lot of cool flavors underneath, but they don't overpower. It clocks in around 7%, which means the alcohol taste blends very well and isn't overpowering. It's also not overly citrusy in nose or in taste. This balance makes it very drinkable, which is not all that common among the IPA circuit these days.

Overall: It's very well-balanced and there's beer under the bite. A crisp, refreshing, delicious, and unique take on the IPA, fantastic for the warm weather. I hope someone with more review/analysis experience will give this a try. You won't be disappointed.

07-18-2012 05:16:29 | More by bastardwizard
Jason

4.1/5  rDev +7.3%

Sample from the brewery.

LOOK: Crystal clear, brassy color, beautiful lacing

SMELL: Herbal, woody, peppery, fallen apple, mild orange peel, biscuity, estery, minty, chalky, yeast, wild flowers

TASTE: Extremely smooth, very hoppy, biscuity, hop oil, herbal, spearmint, orange pith, kiss of caramel, grassy, ripe stone fruit, mild alcohol, bitter, lands dry

Highest abv brew from Newburgh as far as I know, which I think it is a great thing ... great to see brewers branching off and not following the larger groups doing the similar "big beer" series though if they do one day I am sure people will be talking. As for this IPA, Newburgh nailed this style ... love that it is a bigger beer and not some weaksauce that could be passed off as a pale ale. Hunt this beer down especially if you have not had many English style IPAs.

Serving type: growler

09-04-2012 03:20:24 | More by Jason
mdfb79

From 03/31/14 notes. Had on tap at Ginger Man in NYC. 14 oz. pour in a tulip.

a - Pours a deep orange-amber color with one inch of off white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of citrus hops, caramel malts, apples, fruity malts, oak, light pine, and bready malts. Nice nose, a 50/50 mix of hops and malts with some decent fruit.

t - Tastes of citrus hops, fruity malts, bready malts, caramel malts, apples, toasted malts, nuts, oak. More malts than the nose but quite nice.

m - Medium body and low to moderate carbonation. No real bitterness, pretty easy to drink.

o - Overall another really good beer from Newburgh; I continue to be impressed by them. Would not say to order this if you are looking for a normal American IPA or something hoppy because it is not super hoppy, but it is very good and easy to drink. Worth checking out.

04-01-2014 14:55:24 | More by mdfb79
jsitko

3.55/5  rDev -7.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I had this beer on tap at the brewery.

It pours a typical clear brown/gold that is standard for an IPA.

The aroma is very subtle with alot of hoppy pine notes not being there. More malt comes through for me.

The taste of this beer is not what you would expect from an IPA. This being an English version it is very bitter and not citrusy at all. The brew is more like an ESB that an IPA. I am a bigger fan of american IPA's because i like the citrus, pine resin flavors that they bring and this beer doesnt have any of that.

Overall this beer was good but not great and that us just because I like the american IPA style better. I commend NBC for what they did in trying a different take on an IPA.

07-24-2012 14:04:40 | More by jsitko
captaincoffee

3.11/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Had on tap at the brewery...6th weekend they were open. I tried the saison, their IPA, and their stout. Of the three, the IPA fell short for me. Understanding (and appreciating) they are trying to follow a specific form of the style (English Burton vs American IPA), it underperformed in the nose...virtually no hops aroma whatsoever. Considering it was from the tap at the brewery, it was a real let down...and I am a big IPA fan.
With that said, others in my group liked this more (and I enjoyed their other offerings), so I recommend supporting this new micro.

07-23-2012 21:39:19 | More by captaincoffee