The Bollocks - Brash Brewing Company

Texas, United States

Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 07-14-2012

Ratings: 238 | Reviews: 63
2.32/5  rDev -39.6%

I tell you what's Bollocks opening this beer to find out it's bottled on 8/21/13, who wants DIPA from last August. They haven't updated their website since 2013 either, are they still making beer contracted through the same brewery as Clown Shoes in Ipswich, MA...Mercury Brewing. Holy unfiltered DIPA batman, there's a ton of yeast sludge in the bottom of the bottle I recommend leaving it out initially but I will probably end up drinking it. Deep unfiltered copper opaque DIPA, with a light khaki cream colored head. Fine speckled lacing matches the color of the sludge in the bottom of the bottle. Aroma muddled stale hops, warming alcohol fumes from the 12 % abv, off putting aroma for sure...there used to be lively citric hops here now it smells like a barleywine with some harshness. Flavor has caramelized sugars and stale hops, muddled DIPA gone barleywine, hot alcohol...this beer is literally a mess. Mouthfeel is equally abrasive as the flavor and aromatics, cloying sticky residual sugars that did not get fermented out, the sweetness is overkill now that the hop profile is dead on arrival. Dude, this is Brash that's about the only thing they got right in this one, I will keep my eyes open for a fresher sample.

2.85/5  rDev -25.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.75

Thanks to Mike for splitting this one! It beams bright in the glass, kind of somewhere between orange and amber, fairly opaque with some obscured translucency near the edges of the glass. The less than stellar, gray-tinted head reduces to a thin collar in record time, though I can't say Im surprised for a brew with such heft.

Hmmm... you sure this is a double IPA? The aroma gives way to malt, first and foremost, typically not a good sign for a hop heavy beer. Check the date... wow, barely a month old. So this is how it's supposed to be, huh? Caramel, buttery toffee, and only a faint onset of leafy hops, but barely enough to cut through the sticky sweet jungle.

I normally hate when people talk about an IPA and say "oh, with age it becomes a great barley wine". I don't know why, but it just bothers me. But that's the case here, minus the age. This thing is a "hoppy" barleywine right out of the gate. I think I remember Bigfoot having a larger hop presence than this. Tsk, tsk, label your beers properly!

The taste is also mostly malty; sticky sweet iwht caramel and toffee and some butter with lighter undertones of baked bread (still sweet). Hops show a *little* more presence on the palate, but not too much. Peppery hops, with a middle o' the tongue bitterness that merely trembles in the wake of residual, unattenuated malt sugars. Thick body, heavy mouth feel, low carbonation... sounds like an old ale.

Blah, I really appreciate Mike's generosity in sharing this one with us, but I just wasn't a fan at all. I'm not a lover of sweet, thick, "huge", malty DIPAs (as evidenced by my disappointment in the Unicorn's Revenge consumed just prior to this one) and that's exactly what this beer is. Hard to think this is really a DIPA by the standard definition. I think I've learned my lesson... stay clear of DIPAs that exceed 10% ABV.

3.03/5  rDev -21.1%

First had: on tap at TJ's, Paoli, PA

These guys are close with Clown shoes, FYI, so take that as you will.

Served in a snifter, a hazy amber-orange color with a small white head that retained fairly well and left a bit of lacing on the glass. Aroma is thick with resinous hops, with notes of citrus and sweet malts. Taste is...basically how I don't like an IPA to be, much less a DIPA. Cloying sweetness, almost sickeningly so; there are lots of hops, which is of course expected and necessary, but the malt base is too thick and unctuous, making this beer overall just too chalky and unpleasant. You can't just throw a butt-load of hops and malts together and magically get a good DIPA, and that's what it seems like they did here. It's not entirely bad, but it's just not well-done enough to make it drinkable for me. Full-bodied and oily, a bit harsh with alcohol.

3.31/5  rDev -13.8%

poured into a snifter tonight while watching some tv and chilling out. not familiar with the brewer, but because they are new to the distribution area, i gave the bomber a shot.

a- poured a hazy orange/tangerine/amber color with an inch of fluffy thick head that fell slowly. looks like a DIPA pretty much should.

s- lots of sweetness with tropical fruit, mango maybe. some hop resin. not an extremely complex nose

t- not quite as much sweetness initially as i expected but that tropical fruit sweetness is definately there. the sweet fades quick to a bitter hop resin bite then back to the malty sweetness. Just like the nose, it doesnt seem terribly complex. tasty, but sort of one note

m- nice feel, sort of a sticky resinous feel. definately a bit boozy as the 12% shows its teeth with a touch of burn on the way down. A bit of a sipper

overall, a decent effort. the price was ok at ~$10 a bomber, but i dont know if I woul seek it out again. The twin cities is awash in great beer, so i think the next time I need a DIPA I would look elsewhere.

3.39/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Copper pour with minimal white/off white head. Lacing is spotty. Head goes away

Resin aroma. Oily and boozy. Baked caramel. Pine and some citrus. Like lemon Pledge

This is a hop bomb, no doubt about that. The balance peters out midway through and the hops become resin. It's also hot at 12%, no hiding that. Pine and hot caramel come out the most with hints of lemon.
For as big as it is, the bite isn't as strong as I expected. Yes, it's hoppy, but not overly so. With the abv I expected more malt balance, but that's out the window. Lower the abv and this could be a great beer. As it is, it's a one-and-doner. Not that it's bad, but just a chore to drink.

3.44/5  rDev -10.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 10/1/13 at 40 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma of citrus
Head large (5 cm), off white, creamy, slowly diminishing to a layer varying from 1 to 4 mm
Lacing OK, partial rings and medium islands of small to medium bubbles
Body medium orange, chill haze
Flavor begins with citrusy hoppiness which fades to a tangerine sweetness; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, oily, lively carbonation

A quite nice DIPA at ten months old; I can only imagine how it would have been fresh. Although to hops have deteriorated some, this is still better than many of the fresh IPAs.

3.47/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Brash Brewing's The Bollocks last week for $10.59 at Meijers. I don't have much experience with this brewery, but I thought their Smoglifter was pretty good and I'm interested too see how this one turns out, so let see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good, I find it to be slightly creepy looking, but I think that adds to the charm and it makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a very cloudy orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a combination of earthy, spicy, green onion and citrus rind like hop aromas with the citrus rind hops sticking out the most and the green onion hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart lots of sweet malt like aromas with some grainy, slight bready and caramel malt like aromas coming through along with a noticeable alcohol aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the sweetness and the green onion hops were both toned down.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, the citrus rind hops seem to show up a little more than they did in the aroma and this time a light amount of earthy and green onion like hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which are the same as they were in the aroma and the sweet malts still stick out the most and there a noticeable alcohol flavor that's slightly boozy and slightly warming. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of high bitterness with a sweet malt, caramel malt and citrus rind hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the sweetness was toned down.

M- Not the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little sticky, slightly boozy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I wish it was smoother and not slightly cloying and boozy.

Overall I thought this a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, instead of taking the typical DIPA route it seems like they went with an imperial version of an English IPA and while there's nothing wrong with that it doesn't really deliver all the aspects that I look for in the kind of DIPA's I like and it almost feels like it's starting to go in the Barleywine direction especially with that high amount of sweetness. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little boozy, a little sticky, rich and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention but the high amount of sweetness would prevent me from having more than one bottle and even that might be a little too much for me so I think splitting it is the way to go and I think this would make for a nice cold weather DIPA. What I liked the most about this veer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer and it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the green onion hops, those were my two biggest complaints with this beer. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it, but it's not the type of DIPA that I feel i need to keep around. I wouldn't recommend this beer as a good DIPA, but I do think it's worth giving a try to see where you stand with it. All in all I wasn't to impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like it didn't know if it was a imperial English IPA or a Barleywine and because of that it reminded me a lot of BIgfoot and I think I would just rather have a Bigfoot. It's for sure isn't a favorite DIPA and it's now my least favorite beer from Brash. I appreciate the effort guys, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Always enjoy trying new brews. As a DIPA, this one was ok but not exceptional. The nose was good but a little thin. The initial impact was a bit strong on the abv side although I should not be surprised given the 12%. There was a good relative balance from malt to hops although overall it was more harsh than I would have liked. I have experienced a lot of DIPA's and this one was different and ok although a little hard to finish in the end. I love hops and malt so that balance was not the issue. Perhaps in part it was the excessive abv that was not well masked. I will probably pass in the future.

3.48/5  rDev -9.4%

Hazy marmalade orange with a 2 finger off white head with decent retention and nice lacing. I can smell citrus, citrus zest, caramel, and pine, even before I bring the glass close to me.

Tastes a bit sweeter than I like for an IPA. Has tangerine, grapefruit, caramel, and citrus zest. The citrus zest gives a lingering bitterness at the end.

Medium bodied with average carbonation. Feels a bit oily, and finishes somewhat bitter and dry. Not a bad DIPA by any means, but not as good as the best either.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%

A new beer to MN!

Pours a hazy burnt honey gold with a finger of dense creamy white head. Perfect lacing.

Thick syrupy hop aromas - citrus, conifer and mango. Great sense of balance that is shaken by the high ABV. Alcohol gets a bit spicy.

Real hot - even hotter than I expected. Grape juice, warming citrus/booze, pine needles, various hints of hop varieties. Just too damn hot though.

Love seeing new brews in the distro, I'll have to try some other stuff from these guys.

3.53/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A: no head really on a murky burnt orange with golden hues body.

S: little to the aroma. Some candy sugar, citrus, mostly orange and apricot

T: fairly tart and resiny with orange and tangerine mostly. pale malts, really simple overall. Some earthy flavors throughout too.

M: medium body and moderate to high carbonation.

Overall: Simple with the alcohol very very well hidden. I wouldnt have it again.

3.55/5  rDev -7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A-Very cloudy, very hazy. Small head isn't completely uniform. Unless the beer sits for a while,it leaves no lacing after each swig. Looks like a huge beer.

S-Concentrated, sweet citrus. This doesn't smell like my sort of DIPA. Honey, bread, biscuit,caramel and booze. Not loving the hop bouquet. Liqueur-dipped citrus hops. Candied oranges. Balanced. Not a lot of hop complexity and the hops are dull smelling. Not alot of vibrancy here.

T-The flavor isn't my Amorites either. Honey dipped croissant, doughy biscuit with sugared butter. Booze. Then that portly hop profile lumbers in. Seems to be a bit past its prime. Kinda has that, jaded and faded IPA/DIPA flavor.

M-Big, resinous and boozy. A sipper. Booze cuts through.

O/D-Tastes a bit out of date. Either way, I don't love the specific hop flavos here. Wile it is boozy, the 12% is masked decently well. If you're into a balanced DIPA, this may be it for you. It's huge in both bitterness and sweetness. For me, one bomber will forever be enough.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Appear - Poured into a tulip. Attractive dark cloudy apricot color. Head recedes from about an inch to a half inch. Nice attractive look.
Smell - I am coming off a cold, but I get some pineapple, apricot, and citrus from it as I would expect.
Taste - It tastes pretty good. Like with most IPAs, you get those grapefruit tangerine type tastes. The alcohol isn't completely hidden though. I've read another review and agree with the fresh cut grass taste in there as well -- I think that is the alcohol flavor mixing with the hops.
Mouth - Decent consistency to it. About what I expected -- not too light or too heavy. A little bit of acid late, but not too bad. It's not as smooth as would be ideal, but by IPA standards not bad.
Over - It's nice.. If someone gave me one, I would be happy to drink it, but I think I'd go look for something else next time.

3.58/5  rDev -6.8%

Aroma has a malty core with a firm hoppy overtone and a hint of fruit. Pours a nice clear dark amber with a fairly thick wheat head that leaves about average lacing. Flavor is quite hoppy and somewhat bitter, with a malty undertone and a hint of fruity/honey sweetness. Texture is full-bodied and quite lively, practically dancing on the tongue. Bollocks, a darn good beer!

3.59/5  rDev -6.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle: Poured a bright beige/orangey color ale with a large foamy head with good retention and some light lacing. Aroma consists of fruity and citrus hops with light sweet notes. Taste is sweeter than expected with some light fruity notes and some citrus hops also easily noticeable. Body is about average for style and no apparent alcohol. Enjoyable but a bit too sweet for my taste. I would suggest dropping the ABV which would also help drop the residual sugars.

3.6/5  rDev -6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber bottle with no date

looks like frothy, cloudy orange juice. smell is very malty, sour tangerine hops. the 12% is there but not in your face, i would guess by my buzz that it's even over 12. bitter orange rind hops engulfed by sweet fruitcake malts, lots of fruity esters, borders on medicinal.

not a great iipa, but i don't regret trying it

3.65/5  rDev -4.9%

Split the 12% ABV bomber with my brother and thank God 'cause this one packed a hidden punch. Poured amber coppery red with a nice khaki head. Not a lot of lacing. Smell is predominantly citrus and unripe mango with a big dose of sweet malt. Taste is 'east coast IPA' style with early mango, grapefruit and pine resin yielding to a big substantial malt load. The 12% ABV isn't noticeable. Mouthfeel is medium and the body holds together well. Overall when drinking DIPAs I can't help but compare to my gold standard Surly DIPA, which I drink more than my fair share of. Bollocks leans toward the maltier side of DIPAs and..it's not very Abrasive.

3.68/5  rDev -4.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a curious imperial ipa, and my first beer from brash. it pours a peculiarly light golden color, pretty clear, with a lacy white head. looks light for what it is. the nose is more fruity and sweet than bitter, although this is obviously hoppy as hell. its got that fresh squeezed hop oil profile, rather than that bittering American ipa crispness. malts are super light for how big this is. alcohol content is obvious. the taste is just like the nose, very very sweet for an ipa, and the alcohol blisters though the pale malt body easily. bitterness only comes on the finish, which is hot from the booze, and still a bit sweet. there is a lot going on here, but this is a beer in need of refinement. its good as it is, but need to find its center so to speak. more carbonation would help, as would a bigger grain bill. its a massive beers as it stands, not something I even need 10 ounces of, but its obvious that brash is going to be making some pretty interesting beers, and they have my attention with this one, although I will not seek this out again for some time.

3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours hazy amber with a large head.
Malty aroma, quite sweet-smelling. Also piny and resinous hops alongside marmalade notes.
Very aggressive flavours, big piny and resinous notes throughout. Also a fair bit of booze and a load of malt. The bitterness definitely wins out though.
Nice syrupy body.

3.72/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a day-glo orange colour, bit of cloud. Head is off-white, bit cloudy and whispy. Decent, but not amazing.

Smells nice. Sweet malt with cake batter, but plenty of West Coast hops with it too - citrus, paw-paw, touch of mango. Pleasant. Right in the sweet spot.

Taste is massively hoppy from the get-go. Not to its advantage. Sweet, fruit salad flavour, with intense apricot, sultana grapes, peach and mango. Yeah, fruity sweet and could use more citric bite. Has that hop heaviness on the back, but not really flavour, which is all just sweetness. Needs more grounding.

Smooth, bit of edge at the end, but quite drinkable and pleasant.

Could see people really enjoying this. It's really quite drinkable, but for me it just lacks edge.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

22 oz bottle for $8.99 at Highland Package Store in Birmingham, AL
A - burnt orange; tight, thin head; minimal lacing; good legs
A - big, resiny pine; some tropical fruit; wet wood; fusel alcohol
T - pine sap; wet grain, orange pith, honey, boozy
M - sticky; smooth upfront with lingering bitterness; syrupy and heavy
O - good flavors; good structure if a bit heavy; piney hop bite is satisfying; lacks some brightness, and the maltiness is limited to a sweet, woody, honey-like graininess. Definitely a sipper for those who like a monster DIPA.

3.73/5  rDev -2.9%

Poured from a 22oz bottle into a duvel glass.

A: pours a hazy orange amber with a nice finger of slightly ambery brown head, head dissapates nicley into a film.... You can see active carbonation bubbles running up the side of the glass. Anniv amount of lacing.

S: a nice fresh citrusy hop aroma, tropical fruit, a touch of pine and a hint of a sweet malt backbone.

T: deffinatly a sweet malt backbone, it wasn't until tasting this that I looked back and saw the abv was 12 percent! Sweet caramel mixed with a fair amount of hops, caramel and sticky citrus fruit, I feel like the malt slightly dominated this beer, especially when it was cold. The hops, as the brew warms, become bitter, piney and resinous and venture through the thick malt sweetness, little to no alcohol flavor.

M: medium to heavy bodied and slick, medium to low crisp carbonation that tries to keep this brew from being to oily and slick.... The alcohol is fairly well hidden considering the high abv. Bitter on the finish,

O: a decent brew, I just wish the hop profile was a bit more dominant, This one was on the sweet side for me, but I'd your looking for a high abv ipa, here yah go. Sticky sweet caramel and citrus with some deep bitter, resinous pine notes.

3.74/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Was able to snag a bottle of this marked down from 13 bucks to just 7.95. Found it a steal since most places charge 10+ dollars for it. Going in assuming it has at least a few months age on it.

A - Well its carbonated giving me a 1/2 inch of foam thats pretty amazing for such a massive beer. Color is a very dirty/hazy amber brown orange. No sediment so it wasn't sitting too long.
S - Smell is nice no ethanol like alcohol smells or hardcore pine but it does have a bit of bite. Does seem kind of old and muted though.
T - Well I could see fresh this beer would be amazing but with age it does have some herbal hop bitterness, somewhat cracker malts, and a dry finish with just a tough of booze.
M - ABV is pretty masked if I were to try this unknowing I would assume not over 9 or 10%

Overall Triple IPA's are a bit tricky some have muted hop bitterness, others with strong vodka like taste (looking at you Double crooked tree) This beer was pretty good but I don't see myself getting another.

3.77/5  rDev -1.8%
look: 3 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Thanks to Rado for sharing this one at drewone's tasting.

Pours a hazy dark orange with a foamy bone head that settles to wisps of film on top of the beer. Small dots of lace slowly drip into the remaining beer on the drink down. Smell is of malt, honey, citrus fruit, and citrus zest aromas. Taste is much the same with honey and citrus zest flavors on the finish. There is a medium amount of hop bitterness on the palate with each sip. This beer has a lower level of carbonation with a slightly crisp mouthfeel. Overall, this is a pretty good beer with a nice honey and citrus presence in the aroma and flavor.

3.8/5  rDev -1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

appearance: hazy peach amber. messy swath of a slightly off-white head.
smell: biting hops on a lush bed of fruity sweet.
taste: More of the same. Sharp hops up front with a creamy bed. Nice bitter finish.
overall: another fine dipa. The 12% is well hidden.

The Bollocks from Brash Brewing Company