The Bollocks - Brash Brewing Company

The BollocksThe Bollocks

Brash Brewing Company visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

(Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 07-14-2012)
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

malfunxion, Aug 23, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

ToadiesForCody, Aug 15, 2014
3.7/5  rDev -3.6%

Pours a day-glo orange colour, bit of cloud. Head is off-white, bit cloudy and whispy. Decent, but not amazing.

Smells nice. Sweet malt with cake batter, but plenty of West Coast hops with it too - citrus, paw-paw, touch of mango. Pleasant. Right in the sweet spot.

Taste is massively hoppy from the get-go. Not to its advantage. Sweet, fruit salad flavour, with intense apricot, sultana grapes, peach and mango. Yeah, fruity sweet and could use more citric bite. Has that hop heaviness on the back, but not really flavour, which is all just sweetness. Needs more grounding.

Smooth, bit of edge at the end, but quite drinkable and pleasant.

Could see people really enjoying this. It's really quite drinkable, but for me it just lacks edge.

laituegonflable, Aug 06, 2014
3.45/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottled 10/1/13 at 40 degrees into imperial pint glass
Aroma of citrus
Head large (5 cm), off white, creamy, slowly diminishing to a layer varying from 1 to 4 mm
Lacing OK, partial rings and medium islands of small to medium bubbles
Body medium orange, chill haze
Flavor begins with citrusy hoppiness which fades to a tangerine sweetness; no alcohol, no diacetyl
Palate medium, oily, lively carbonation

A quite nice DIPA at ten months old; I can only imagine how it would have been fresh. Although to hops have deteriorated some, this is still better than many of the fresh IPAs.

Ozzylizard, Aug 04, 2014

maniaczak, Jun 04, 2014
4.25/5  rDev +10.7%

Viperman1316, May 28, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +3.1%

I was surprised by how much I liked this beer. Usually Imperial IPA's have a lot of problems that go along with them but this one was very nice. The appearance is a nice cloudy hazel with a white head that stuck to the glass. The nose had a lot of hops and then what I thought was sugar. Upon the tasting, I realized it was the sweetness from the alcohol, but instead of it tasting too strong, it was actually a nice way to finish from the hoppy start. The mouthfeel was much thicker than I thought it was going to be, but complimented it well. I would definitely recommend this to anyone not scared off by the artwork and high proof.

WhiteHillsStore, May 25, 2014
4.75/5  rDev +23.7%

Joebraggot, May 19, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -15.4%

blabaer, May 17, 2014

greenspointexas, May 07, 2014
3.46/5  rDev -9.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Brash Brewing's The Bollocks last week for $10.59 at Meijers. I don't have much experience with this brewery, but I thought their Smoglifter was pretty good and I'm interested too see how this one turns out, so let see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good, I find it to be slightly creepy looking, but I think that adds to the charm and it makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a very cloudy orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a combination of earthy, spicy, green onion and citrus rind like hop aromas with the citrus rind hops sticking out the most and the green onion hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart lots of sweet malt like aromas with some grainy, slight bready and caramel malt like aromas coming through along with a noticeable alcohol aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the sweetness and the green onion hops were both toned down.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, the citrus rind hops seem to show up a little more than they did in the aroma and this time a light amount of earthy and green onion like hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which are the same as they were in the aroma and the sweet malts still stick out the most and there a noticeable alcohol flavor that's slightly boozy and slightly warming. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of high bitterness with a sweet malt, caramel malt and citrus rind hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the sweetness was toned down.

M- Not the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little sticky, slightly boozy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I wish it was smoother and not slightly cloying and boozy.

Overall I thought this a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, instead of taking the typical DIPA route it seems like they went with an imperial version of an English IPA and while there's nothing wrong with that it doesn't really deliver all the aspects that I look for in the kind of DIPA's I like and it almost feels like it's starting to go in the Barleywine direction especially with that high amount of sweetness. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little boozy, a little sticky, rich and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention but the high amount of sweetness would prevent me from having more than one bottle and even that might be a little too much for me so I think splitting it is the way to go and I think this would make for a nice cold weather DIPA. What I liked the most about this veer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer and it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the green onion hops, those were my two biggest complaints with this beer. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it, but it's not the type of DIPA that I feel i need to keep around. I wouldn't recommend this beer as a good DIPA, but I do think it's worth giving a try to see where you stand with it. All in all I wasn't to impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like it didn't know if it was a imperial English IPA or a Barleywine and because of that it reminded me a lot of BIgfoot and I think I would just rather have a Bigfoot. It's for sure isn't a favorite DIPA and it's now my least favorite beer from Brash. I appreciate the effort guys, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time.

StoutHunter, May 03, 2014