The Bollocks - Brash Brewing Company

The BollocksThe Bollocks

Brash Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

(Beer added by: PeterIngemi on 07-14-2012)

3.96/5  rDev +3.4%

I was surprised by how much I liked this beer. Usually Imperial IPA's have a lot of problems that go along with them but this one was very nice. The appearance is a nice cloudy hazel with a white head that stuck to the glass. The nose had a lot of hops and then what I thought was sugar. Upon the tasting, I realized it was the sweetness from the alcohol, but instead of it tasting too strong, it was actually a nice way to finish from the hoppy start. The mouthfeel was much thicker than I thought it was going to be, but complimented it well. I would definitely recommend this to anyone not scared off by the artwork and high proof.

4.75/5  rDev +24%

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Brash Brewing's The Bollocks last week for $10.59 at Meijers. I don't have much experience with this brewery, but I thought their Smoglifter was pretty good and I'm interested too see how this one turns out, so let see how it goes. No visible bottling date, but it just showed up so I think it's fresh. Poured from a brown 22oz bottle into a tulip.

A- The label looks good, I find it to be slightly creepy looking, but I think that adds to the charm and it makes it fairly eye catching. It poured a very cloudy orange color that took on more of a darker orange color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy slightly off white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This is a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all.

S- The aroma starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a combination of earthy, spicy, green onion and citrus rind like hop aromas with the citrus rind hops sticking out the most and the green onion hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which impart lots of sweet malt like aromas with some grainy, slight bready and caramel malt like aromas coming through along with a noticeable alcohol aroma. This beer had a nice aroma, but I wish the sweetness and the green onion hops were both toned down.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a lower amount of high sweetness followed by the hops still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, the citrus rind hops seem to show up a little more than they did in the aroma and this time a light amount of earthy and green onion like hops show up in the background. Up next comes the malts which are the same as they were in the aroma and the sweet malts still stick out the most and there a noticeable alcohol flavor that's slightly boozy and slightly warming. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of high bitterness with a sweet malt, caramel malt and citrus rind hop aftertaste. This was a nice tasting beer, but I wish the sweetness was toned down.

M- Not the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little sticky, slightly boozy, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a slightly lower amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent but I wish it was smoother and not slightly cloying and boozy.

Overall I thought this a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, instead of taking the typical DIPA route it seems like they went with an imperial version of an English IPA and while there's nothing wrong with that it doesn't really deliver all the aspects that I look for in the kind of DIPA's I like and it almost feels like it's starting to go in the Barleywine direction especially with that high amount of sweetness. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it wasn't the smoothest, slightly cloying, slightly crisp, a little boozy, a little sticky, rich and the taste did an ok job at holding my attention but the high amount of sweetness would prevent me from having more than one bottle and even that might be a little too much for me so I think splitting it is the way to go and I think this would make for a nice cold weather DIPA. What I liked the most about this veer was the appearance, I thought it was a very nice looking beer and it looked fairly true to style. What I liked the least about this beer was the high amount of sweetness and the green onion hops, those were my two biggest complaints with this beer. I don't think I would buy this beer again, I'm glad I tried it, but it's not the type of DIPA that I feel i need to keep around. I wouldn't recommend this beer as a good DIPA, but I do think it's worth giving a try to see where you stand with it. All in all I wasn't to impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, it just seemed like it didn't know if it was a imperial English IPA or a Barleywine and because of that it reminded me a lot of BIgfoot and I think I would just rather have a Bigfoot. It's for sure isn't a favorite DIPA and it's now my least favorite beer from Brash. I appreciate the effort guys, but this one just wasn't for me, better luck next time.

3.25/5  rDev -15.1%

2.26/5  rDev -41%

I tell you what's Bollocks opening this beer to find out it's bottled on 8/21/13, who wants DIPA from last August. They haven't updated their website since 2013 either, are they still making beer contracted through the same brewery as Clown Shoes in Ipswich, MA...Mercury Brewing. Holy unfiltered DIPA batman, there's a ton of yeast sludge in the bottom of the bottle I recommend leaving it out initially but I will probably end up drinking it. Deep unfiltered copper opaque DIPA, with a light khaki cream colored head. Fine speckled lacing matches the color of the sludge in the bottom of the bottle. Aroma muddled stale hops, warming alcohol fumes from the 12 % abv, off putting aroma for sure...there used to be lively citric hops here now it smells like a barleywine with some harshness. Flavor has caramelized sugars and stale hops, muddled DIPA gone barleywine, hot alcohol...this beer is literally a mess. Mouthfeel is equally abrasive as the flavor and aromatics, cloying sticky residual sugars that did not get fermented out, the sweetness is overkill now that the hop profile is dead on arrival. Dude, this is Brash that's about the only thing they got right in this one, I will keep my eyes open for a fresher sample.

3.49/5  rDev -8.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

Always enjoy trying new brews. As a DIPA, this one was ok but not exceptional. The nose was good but a little thin. The initial impact was a bit strong on the abv side although I should not be surprised given the 12%. There was a good relative balance from malt to hops although overall it was more harsh than I would have liked. I have experienced a lot of DIPA's and this one was different and ok although a little hard to finish in the end. I love hops and malt so that balance was not the issue. Perhaps in part it was the excessive abv that was not well masked. I will probably pass in the future.

3.6/5  rDev -6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.25

22oz bomber bottle with no date

looks like frothy, cloudy orange juice. smell is very malty, sour tangerine hops. the 12% is there but not in your face, i would guess by my buzz that it's even over 12. bitter orange rind hops engulfed by sweet fruitcake malts, lots of fruity esters, borders on medicinal.

not a great iipa, but i don't regret trying it

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Bottled 8/2013. Considering the abv of this offering I suspect the age may have done this one a few favors. The ale pours a very cloudy Orange amber hue with a small cream colored head that quickly dissipates to a nice film and substantial lacing. The nose is very rich with lots of malt and booze up front followed by a bready quality and finishing with a bitter hop bite, mostly citrus and tropical fruit. The flavor confirms all these expectations. Not west coast style hops, more like a good bottle of dfh. The malt on the front seems overwhelming (almost reminiscent of a barleywine) but it gives way to a wonderfully bitter hoppy finish. There is a decent boozy note but it is well balanced within the spectrum of this ale. The mouthfeel is a little stickier than I'd like but still coats the palate with a very nice hoppy finish. All in all this is a damn good beer and actually much better than I'd expected.

2.25/5  rDev -41.3%

4.29/5  rDev +12%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

22oz bomber with a bottled on date of 7/2012, so aged 1.5 years

A - Amber, with a bit of clarity. Lots of head and some sticky lace left on the glass.

S - Bitter hops and booze. Lots of booze.

T - Wow! Boozy but smooth. Bitter, but not overly. Lots of grain. Sweet. Tasty! Definitely a barley wine rather than a DIPA or TRIPA.

M - Full bodied and oily.

O - This Triple IPA is a year and a half old, and the hops have definitely changed and bittered, causing this beer to taste like a barley wine . This is a great thing....love it!

The Bollocks from Brash Brewing Company