Apricot Wheat - Otto's Pub and Brewery

good

Otto's Pub and Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: psugrad98 on 11-18-2002)
Khazadum

2.2/5  rDev -38.2%

And I quote, "What the fuck is this? A white wine spritzer in my bomber? Who spiked my beer?"

Girlfriend: "Mmm! Thats tasty!"

Huh... is this the killshot? I wonder....

Tons of carbonation rise in this apple-juice like concotion. Low head, very low retention, and an almost imperceptible collar. Even with effort, this son of a stitch hides its colors.

This smells like I turned 13 again. It reminds me of sneaking wine coolers and pretending I'm drunk with my best pal at the time. I smell peach, mango, tangerines. Tropical party in my nostrils, and I want everyone else to be invited. There are no contrasting elements, however. Its just a pure bomb of sweet fruits. If I grabbed a package of gum, ripped off the cellophane wrapper, and took a whiff of Trident Super Bubble-fudge Tropicana-tastic I imagine it smells exactly like this. I begin to get nauseated from it. Some grape notes come forth as well leading me to think I'm secretly drinking a white wine.

Flavors... Well now its definitely a beer! Malty, bready, cardboard-like, and fruit smashed into the background. Is that wheat malt I'm tasting? Hrmmm... Its middle is mildly prickled and cellulosic. Almost like a piece of paper had been dipped into a peach schnapps before traipsing over my tongue. Finish leaves me with some minor mango melodies in the cheeks and almost entirely light biscuit flavors. The entire time there is a rotating stock of mangoes, peaches, grapes, and faint orange. Its never singular, and always confused.

Thin... razor thin... super razor thin. ULTRA razor thin. Watery, mild mild sticky nature. Carbonation is short lived and doesn't last a full glass. When it was there it was noticeable towards the center flavors and nowhere else. A nice crispness that helped the beer. Without it, I feel like this beer is tripping all over itself.

I don't like it. I don't think I'll ever like it. Its like someone mixed juice with my beer and I wanted a beer, damn it. What the hell is it though... the style. A fruit beer? It has these lager characteristics but can't be. Pale ale with no hops... American Pale Wheat Ale? Lets go with that.. but no hops damn it! Ugh.. Fruit beer? Ya... Fruit beer. So that'll bump the scores up a tad.

A-2.0 S-3.0 T-2.0 M-2.0 D-2.0

Reveal is! Apricot Wheat! What the... Ohhhh now I get the peach flavors and tropical aromas. Apricot is SO hard to nail down blind. Shit, I feel apricot itself is hard to nail down in a beer itself. Going back, I definitely see apricot in this beer. Hell, that is a feat itself and causes me to bump up my previous overall of 1.5 to a 2.0 ( already edited it ;) ). However, I'd probably never seek this bad boy out again.

05-18-2011 04:09:37 | More by Khazadum

saucy626

05-06-2013 05:59:58 | More by saucy626
stakem

2.68/5  rDev -24.7%

12oz bottle care of my old man. There is a first... the pops gifted me with a couple bottles of this after a recent trip to state college. "Stop drinking all that dark shit and give this here a try. I like it, maybe you will too." The brew appears a perfectly clear color of pale gold. A finger of white froth appears and dissolves down to a thin film around the ring of the glass. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin film atop and a bit of spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma has an unmistakable scent of perfume-like apricot. It smells a bit sugary almost like a bit of candy like those peach rings. I can't help but think the apricot inclusion here is artificial as it just doesn't smell all that natural. The candy-like sweetness is just too distinct to not be augmented some way. It really doesn't matter how warm the brew gets, the perfume fruit character is really all I smell.

The taste has the apricot flavoring that is a bit sweet and artificial tasting in a way reminiscent of what the aroma leads on. Instead of having that earthy, natural taste, it is sweet and candy-like. Fortunately, there is a bit of cereal grain flavoring present that brings this back into the spectrum of the advertised wheat beer category. The aftertaste is also candy-like with a hint of something almost like bubblegum mixed with a dissolved flavor of clove and... corn?

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. For a summertime offering to just slam back, I guess it fits the bill. But it isn't something that I would seek out again. The candy and artificial qualities of this I just didnt find to be entirely appetizing.

10-05-2012 00:15:54 | More by stakem

hoppyhelena

10-18-2012 22:02:52 | More by hoppyhelena
mikeg67

2.84/5  rDev -20.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with a long lasting, thin, fluffy,white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of wheat malt and apricots. Body is medium and slightly crisp. Taste is wheat malt, apricots and hint of hops. Finish is short and sweet. Nice beer for ladies.

06-17-2013 20:45:21 | More by mikeg67
BroadStBrewing

08-11-2014 02:40:11 | More by BroadStBrewing
Bouder32

10-22-2013 15:14:39 | More by Bouder32
SickGnar

A: Peachy hued light amber/golden (how appropriate). Quite small white head, clear and bright. Nada for lace.

S: Juicy apricot, but none too strong. Faint and plain wheat beer way in the background. Not a whole lot going on either in complexity or amplitude. Apricot grows as warms, beer stays muted.

T: Pith & skins stone fruit – only vaguely apricot, though clearly stone fruit. Barest fleeting hint of juicy sweetness. Odd astringent note lurking around the edges. Blah and weak wheat beer in background with just a touch of husk. No hops noticed. Bitterness that is present seems more tied to astringent note.

M: Under medium body with CO2 matched. Soft and just barely avoids being watery. Astringent, sort of medicinal, drying.

D: Doesn’t really hit the apricot note. Wheat beer doesn’t really show through. Sort of misses all the way around. Also angular and disjointed. Still, it would be somewhat more drinkable were it not for the astringent note. Hopefully it is a better beer on tap. If not, then since Otto’s is located in a college town, there must be many let down coeds.

08-28-2011 16:50:45 | More by SickGnar
jrimmey

09-26-2013 22:10:49 | More by jrimmey
knb112

09-14-2012 23:42:15 | More by knb112
Thorpe429

Bottle thanks to heyta. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a very thin white head that immediately fades and falls into a thin collar. A few spots of lacing. The nose has a bit of wheat and a slight apricot character. Mild peach there as well. The flavor is a short amount of apricot and there's a bit of bread in the background. A lightly-sweet malt presence. Light body with just a touch of sweetness and moderate carbonation. Lightly bitter in the finish. Fruit isn't strong, but is there. Decent enough, but not something I'd have again.

06-06-2011 01:44:28 | More by Thorpe429