Apricot Wheat - Otto's Pub and Brewery

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

Beer added by: psugrad98 on 11-18-2002

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 121 | Reviews: 37

Bottle thanks to heyta. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a very thin white head that immediately fades and falls into a thin collar. A few spots of lacing. The nose has a bit of wheat and a slight apricot character. Mild peach there as well. The flavor is a short amount of apricot and there's a bit of bread in the background. A lightly-sweet malt presence. Light body with just a touch of sweetness and moderate carbonation. Lightly bitter in the finish. Fruit isn't strong, but is there. Decent enough, but not something I'd have again.

3.47/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bottle into a pint glass.

The initial pour is a bit foamy but seems to settle down rather quickly, revealing a clear copper body with a finger or so of fizzy slightly off-white head. This readily peters down into some light foamy ringing, which leaves back just a smattering of spotty lacing. The aroma smells like apricot, with a juicy sweetness in the nose that is propped up a bit by the wheat character. Light grassy hop notes hang on the edges.

The taste is similar, with the apricot flavor coming off as a bit more artificial feeling but it isn’t too bad considering that it is a pretty strong fruit flavor overall. A light grassy bitterness runs through the middle of the profile, while that crisp wheat backbone gives that fruit something to bounce off of. The finish here is bitter and drying. The mouthfeel is medium bodied, with a sprightly and crisp feel to the carbonation in the mouth but does seem a little too lively along the back.

Nothing overly offensive here but this one just wasn’t my thing. A little less over carbonation would have maybe helped things out as well. I can take it for what it is though.

3.62/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

I purchased this at Wegmans enjoyed chilled in a pils glass.
the color is hazed amber with golden hues, thick white cap lace sticks well and retention is good with fine bead. The smell is fragrant, fruity and floral with slight extract type sweet odor. The feel is good, moderately sweet though, moderate carbonation with mild body and semi dry finish

the taste is pretty decent, has a flavor of extract which means sweet like apricot soda if there were such a thing, mild wheat taste adds to the flaor with subtle yeast creaminess adding to the body but lends little flavor. Overall this is above average drinkability wise, but not by much...it is a pretty standard apricot flavored wheat, but not bad for what it is

3.45/5  rDev -3.4%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the apricot with not too much else going on. There may be a little bit of wheat in the aroma, but it is basically just fruit. The flavor is more of the same. A whole lot of apricot and a tad bit of wheat. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

2.69/5  rDev -24.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12oz bottle care of my old man. There is a first... the pops gifted me with a couple bottles of this after a recent trip to state college. "Stop drinking all that dark shit and give this here a try. I like it, maybe you will too." The brew appears a perfectly clear color of pale gold. A finger of white froth appears and dissolves down to a thin film around the ring of the glass. Rising bubbles of carbonation maintain a thin film atop and a bit of spotty lace sticks to the glass.

The aroma has an unmistakable scent of perfume-like apricot. It smells a bit sugary almost like a bit of candy like those peach rings. I can't help but think the apricot inclusion here is artificial as it just doesn't smell all that natural. The candy-like sweetness is just too distinct to not be augmented some way. It really doesn't matter how warm the brew gets, the perfume fruit character is really all I smell.

The taste has the apricot flavoring that is a bit sweet and artificial tasting in a way reminiscent of what the aroma leads on. Instead of having that earthy, natural taste, it is sweet and candy-like. Fortunately, there is a bit of cereal grain flavoring present that brings this back into the spectrum of the advertised wheat beer category. The aftertaste is also candy-like with a hint of something almost like bubblegum mixed with a dissolved flavor of clove and... corn?

This is a medium to lighter bodied brew with a moderate amount of carbonation. For a summertime offering to just slam back, I guess it fits the bill. But it isn't something that I would seek out again. The candy and artificial qualities of this I just didnt find to be entirely appetizing.

4.56/5  rDev +27.7%

I am now committed to reducing, if not eradicating, my backlog of bottles. This one was part of a local, in-person trade with tone77.

From the bottle: "On Draught[;]In Bottles".

I began with a heavy-handed pour, bringing forth a pseudo-cascade, followed by its settling into three fingers of puffy, rocky, bone-white head with good retention. Loads of CO2 bubbles were in evidence. Color was a golden-yellow (SRM = > 5, < 7) with NE-quality clarity and since Mammon, Midas and Croesus were already here, they began to rejoice in earnest. Nose smelled like apricot preserves, leaving no doubt as to the origin of this beer. Mouthfeel was medium. The taste was simply, apricots! Their flavor was prevalent and overcame everything else that may have been involved. Believe it or not, I am actually a fan of fruit beers. They can be light and refreshing, tart and puckering, sweet and cloying or simply an enhancement to some beers. I was really enjoying this beer on a hot, humid Summer afternoon for its light, refreshing qualities. Finish was semi-dry. It definitely was not sweet by any means.

3.49/5  rDev -2.2%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a hazed golden orange color with a white, short lived head. The aroma is heavy on the apricot, with some grainy, bready wheat elements on the fringes.

In the taste, a nice fruity apricot and peach flavor with a grainy, malted wheat flavor that is quite nice. It is fruity, but I never forget the fact I'm drinking a beer. This has alot in common with other apricot infused beers on the market, and for the most part, the Otto's apricot ale stands up to any other apricot beer I have had. There is a small hop bitterness that keeps the beer from cloying.

Medium bodied, smooth and fruity, but with a clean, balanced finish.

Overall, as a fruit beer, this is above average. Drinkable and with a bit of character, as evidence why it was the first beer out of the sampler case to be gone. Obviously has crossover potential because all my friends really liked it.

A 650 mL bottle purchased at the brewpub.

A: The wheat ale has a visually appealing amber color, lighter and more translucent than the bottle sitting next to it. A half a finger of head didn't do much.

S: The aroma is a light combination of sweet apricot and hearty wheat. The apricot becomes more dominant as the ale warms.

T: Much like the nose, the taste is driven by the apricot. The result is a pleasantly sweet ale that remains light throughout. Wheat appears near the back of each sip, adding a certain amount of body to the beer. The finish has an apricot zing that works better than most fruit beers.

M: The mouthfeel won't set the world aflame but the wheat and apricot pairing works nicely.

D: The ale is very easy to drink, light enough that it doesn't weigh you down and weak enough that it won't knock you out.

3.26/5  rDev -8.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. has a cream soda color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is of mild apricots, some grains. Taste is light, grains, wheat, some apricot, not exactly bursting with flavor. Feels light in the mouth and overall, while not terrible, really nothing special about this beer.

3.97/5  rDev +11.2%

A - Not sure how old this is but I got very little head, a nice lace ring. Color is semi hazy but a nice shade of golden yellow.

S - Initial smell is great, juicy apricot very tart and vibrant but I am bit getting much in wheat... Hope it's balanced.

T - Well wheat is balanced and it's more sweet than tart but I believe this might be the best apricot beer I ever drank! Juicy not artificial in any way vibrant apricot flavor with a great malt balance. Tasty!

M - Light and medium, very refreshing overall a great fruit beer.

Overall I would gladly buy this again and at 5 dollars a bomber it's one of the better fruit beers I have ever tasted. Worth trying!

3.11/5  rDev -12.9%

Poured from bomber into pint glass.

Appearance - Pours a light golden-orange color with a white head that faded rapidly giving very little lacing.

Smell - For the lightness of the beer, the odor is superb. Massive amount of fresh apricot and some peach. There is a little bit of sugar and wheat which work their way at the end of the odor experience.

Taste - After the smell, I was expecting much more, but was disappointed. The apricot does come on in the beginning, but it is much weaker then anticipated. A small amount of wheat works its way into the taste profile near after a bit of apricot fades from the tongue. It was furthermore much dryer then the smell would lead on; not what I expected.

Mouthfeel - The carbonation level was quite nice, but the body was a bit thin.

Overall - The smell of the brew sorta threw me off. A bit more "syrupiness" from more sugar and a bit more alcohol would have helped the beer meet its fantastic smell profile. An occasional drinker, nothing more.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Mild apricots that is almost artificial but not quite. Some wheat as well. A very basic beer but at the same time nothing bad about it.

4.1/5  rDev +14.8%

LIke a previous reviewer I also first had this beer on tap at the Bullfrog in Williamsport when Charlie worked there.

A - Hazy light golden orange color with a small white head.

S - Big apricot with a nice floral and wheat maltiness

T - Man o man...apricot heaven This is afterall an apricot wheat is it not? Some feel it may be a bit much....but not to me most of the time. It does vary slightly from batch to batch so....somewhat floral as well.

M - Thin and a bit watery...does not "hold up" well. But this is supposed to be a refreshing beer.

D - A wonderful fruit wheat. This does not have the annoying fake taste (read extract) that many fruit wheats I have had other places....but has the taste of REAL apricot! This is a great hot weather beer.

3.8/5  rDev +6.4%

An amber body with almost no head.

Lots of apricot in the smell.

A pretty good apricot wheat beer. Not overpoweringly sweet with some wheat tones in the background.

Mouthfeel is moderately creamy with a medium body.

Good drinkability, I downed this faster than I thought without noticing.

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

22 oz bottle. Pours deep golden with a long lasting, thin, fluffy,white head and lively carbonation. Aroma is of wheat malt and apricots. Body is medium and slightly crisp. Taste is wheat malt, apricots and hint of hops. Finish is short and sweet. Nice beer for ladies.

3.95/5  rDev +10.6%

Growler picked up at the brewery for the PSU vs. Alabama game.

A: Yellow pour with a big white head. Lacing is great, retention is ok.

S: Big apricot smell with some peaches. Very light, very fruity.

T: The taste follows the smell. Apricot heavy, a hint medicinal, very light, dry aftertaste.

MF: Light, bubbly, taste coats the palate.

O: This was one of the beers that got me into craft beer. I love it. I know it isn't a great beer, but I will drink it every day. Love it.

3.87/5  rDev +8.4%

Pours clear dark yellow with a fizzy white head..lots of carbonation

Smell is pretty nice. Apricot and peach with fresh yeast aromas and crackers and grain.

Right on par for the style and then some. Refreshing apricot and tame fruit flavors, not overly sweet, balanced with wheat and yeast and very little bitterness.

Pretty light, crisp, good on a hot day.

Good representation from Otto's but not my favorite from the brewery.

3.52/5  rDev -1.4%

On tap at the brewpub - Oct 2, 2007. Aroma gives a musk of coconut body lotion, tinted with fruit flesh and some lip gloss. Edging artificial, but staying clean and leaving the ugly confrontation between malt and fruit behind for a more subtle expression of fruit sugars. Pours a rich straw, headed with a white crisp edge. Flavor is full and moves into a different range, with reduced apricot candy, lots of plum and peach, in juice form, balanced with honey and malt sugar. Again, edging artificial but staying clean and not get skunky or off, which I guess is the unintentional goal of most fruit beers. Coconut meat pops up as do higher florals in the orchid and hibiscus range. Finishes out a little wet and palate lies slightly sticky, but there’s a curbing edge of puckering sourness that gives it a more clean snap at the end, lending nice drinkability. Fresh, bright, clean, alive and friendly. All I can ask for in a brewpub’s perfunctory fruit offering, I suppose.

2.24/5  rDev -37.3%

And I quote, "What the fuck is this? A white wine spritzer in my bomber? Who spiked my beer?"

Girlfriend: "Mmm! Thats tasty!"

Huh... is this the killshot? I wonder....

Tons of carbonation rise in this apple-juice like concotion. Low head, very low retention, and an almost imperceptible collar. Even with effort, this son of a stitch hides its colors.

This smells like I turned 13 again. It reminds me of sneaking wine coolers and pretending I'm drunk with my best pal at the time. I smell peach, mango, tangerines. Tropical party in my nostrils, and I want everyone else to be invited. There are no contrasting elements, however. Its just a pure bomb of sweet fruits. If I grabbed a package of gum, ripped off the cellophane wrapper, and took a whiff of Trident Super Bubble-fudge Tropicana-tastic I imagine it smells exactly like this. I begin to get nauseated from it. Some grape notes come forth as well leading me to think I'm secretly drinking a white wine.

Flavors... Well now its definitely a beer! Malty, bready, cardboard-like, and fruit smashed into the background. Is that wheat malt I'm tasting? Hrmmm... Its middle is mildly prickled and cellulosic. Almost like a piece of paper had been dipped into a peach schnapps before traipsing over my tongue. Finish leaves me with some minor mango melodies in the cheeks and almost entirely light biscuit flavors. The entire time there is a rotating stock of mangoes, peaches, grapes, and faint orange. Its never singular, and always confused.

Thin... razor thin... super razor thin. ULTRA razor thin. Watery, mild mild sticky nature. Carbonation is short lived and doesn't last a full glass. When it was there it was noticeable towards the center flavors and nowhere else. A nice crispness that helped the beer. Without it, I feel like this beer is tripping all over itself.

I don't like it. I don't think I'll ever like it. Its like someone mixed juice with my beer and I wanted a beer, damn it. What the hell is it though... the style. A fruit beer? It has these lager characteristics but can't be. Pale ale with no hops... American Pale Wheat Ale? Lets go with that.. but no hops damn it! Ugh.. Fruit beer? Ya... Fruit beer. So that'll bump the scores up a tad.

A-2.0 S-3.0 T-2.0 M-2.0 D-2.0

Reveal is! Apricot Wheat! What the... Ohhhh now I get the peach flavors and tropical aromas. Apricot is SO hard to nail down blind. Shit, I feel apricot itself is hard to nail down in a beer itself. Going back, I definitely see apricot in this beer. Hell, that is a feat itself and causes me to bump up my previous overall of 1.5 to a 2.0 ( already edited it ;) ). However, I'd probably never seek this bad boy out again.

3.52/5  rDev -1.4%

I first had this beer many years ago when Charlie (the brewmaster) was still at the Bullfrog in Williamsport. I remember being impressed by how the apricot balanced out the perfuminess of the wheat. It hasn’t changed too much since then with the exception of having a stronger apricot flavor than I remembered.
The beer is a slightly cloudy, deep straw color with a small, white, mostly diminishing head and very little lacing. The aroma is heavy of apricot over a floral bouquet of wheat and hops. The taste is, in my opinion, overpowered by the apricot and you have to concentrate to pick up the other flavors. If the apricot flavor was cut back just a little bit, I think this would be a much more well-rounded beer. My wife, however, loves this beer as is, and we both agree that the apricot flavor is good, not that fake apricot flavor we’ve come across before. Other flavors are a light underlying citrus and a bit of a malt sweetness. The finish is moderate to short in duration, a little malty, slightly yeasty, with a hint of citrus and spice. Mouthfeel is light and watery with low carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer.

4.07/5  rDev +14%

22oz bomber poured into a Green Man snifter.

A - Pours a straw, light orange color with a pure white head. The body is surprisingly clear given the 'wheat' in the title; don't expect even a shred a sediment or wheat particles in this one. Head retention is pretty low, but the lacing is impressive. Can see steady carbonation streams through the body.

S - The nose on this beer is overwhelmingly apricot. While some breweries may through fruits in the title and have vague influences from the addition, don't worry about that with this beer. There is a ton of fresh, ripe, juicy apricots in the nose, damp-smelling as if standing in an orchard after a late-spring rain shower. The rest of the nose is made up mostly of the malt bill, which is grainy. A decent amount of wheat comes through as it warms as well.

T - If you don't like apricots, this beer is going to turn you away real quick, as the flavor is predominantly made up of the fruit, and it seems like a good amount of them too. The only adjectives I can use to describe their flavor is fresh and juicy, and it has a splash of sweetness that's akin to biting into one while drinking. Unfortunately, the taste kind of falls off after the initial apricot, receding into a rather pedestrian and overly grainy malt flavor. Remnants of apricot linger into the relatively short finish.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty inoffensive to the palate but once you are done drinking there's little left to keep the flavor going.

D - Drinkability is moderate. This would be an excellent summer beer, drinking by a lake or campfire, but a bomber to myself became a little much about halfway through. Luckily Otto's recently began bottling in 6-packs, so if you feel yourself craving a big kick of apricot, seek this one out!

A: Peachy hued light amber/golden (how appropriate). Quite small white head, clear and bright. Nada for lace.

S: Juicy apricot, but none too strong. Faint and plain wheat beer way in the background. Not a whole lot going on either in complexity or amplitude. Apricot grows as warms, beer stays muted.

T: Pith & skins stone fruit – only vaguely apricot, though clearly stone fruit. Barest fleeting hint of juicy sweetness. Odd astringent note lurking around the edges. Blah and weak wheat beer in background with just a touch of husk. No hops noticed. Bitterness that is present seems more tied to astringent note.

M: Under medium body with CO2 matched. Soft and just barely avoids being watery. Astringent, sort of medicinal, drying.

D: Doesn’t really hit the apricot note. Wheat beer doesn’t really show through. Sort of misses all the way around. Also angular and disjointed. Still, it would be somewhat more drinkable were it not for the astringent note. Hopefully it is a better beer on tap. If not, then since Otto’s is located in a college town, there must be many let down coeds.

4.56/5  rDev +27.7%

Wow. Even After the 4 day limit they say for the growler, this is a great beer. After drinking it on 4 seperate occasions/ drinking situations, I am very fond of this drink. Very light, both physically and taste wise. It is not something that will bog you down, but it is not like standard light beer style crap. It is perfect for any spring or summer day, at any time. The wheat is mixed just right with that right amount of apricot taste. It is very delicate, but potent enough to be something.Flat or fresh, this is a very satisfying beer. Watch out, becuase the can be gone without a notice - and everyone should drink responsibly ;-)This is something you can use convince you macroswill freinds and their girlfriends to switch to quality. Everyone in State College should be drinking this

3.57/5  rDev 0%

A - Pours a nice golden-orange color with a little more then a finger's worth of white, foamy head

S - Apricot is dominant, some light toasty grain notes

T&M - This has a very crisp, almost seltzer like feel; very refreshing, I can see this as a great summer beer. Apricot is the dominant flavor, and the wheat is present as well, but it almost tastes like Grains of Paradise as well.

D - Very drinkable, as I finished the 22 oz bomber no problem, and could have certainly had another. Light and refreshing, easy to drink and enjoy.

3.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a brewery fresh bottle into a brand new pint glass. Straw yellow color with a half inch head. Nice color. Overwhelming apricot aroma. Very sweet smell. Super-basic light tasting summer quencher. Luckily it isn't as sweet as it smells although it gets a bit sweet after a few. Worth a try if you like the style.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »