Apricot Wheat - Otto's Pub and Brewery

good

Otto's Pub and Brewery visit their website
Pennsylvania, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  4.80% ABV

(Beer added by: psugrad98 on 11-18-2002)

SteelCityHops89, Dec 22, 2011

Brown120, Dec 05, 2011

Exiled, Nov 25, 2011

nh2032, Nov 25, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

On tap at the brewpub - Oct 2, 2007. Aroma gives a musk of coconut body lotion, tinted with fruit flesh and some lip gloss. Edging artificial, but staying clean and leaving the ugly confrontation between malt and fruit behind for a more subtle expression of fruit sugars. Pours a rich straw, headed with a white crisp edge. Flavor is full and moves into a different range, with reduced apricot candy, lots of plum and peach, in juice form, balanced with honey and malt sugar. Again, edging artificial but staying clean and not get skunky or off, which I guess is the unintentional goal of most fruit beers. Coconut meat pops up as do higher florals in the orchid and hibiscus range. Finishes out a little wet and palate lies slightly sticky, but there’s a curbing edge of puckering sourness that gives it a more clean snap at the end, lending nice drinkability. Fresh, bright, clean, alive and friendly. All I can ask for in a brewpub’s perfunctory fruit offering, I suppose.

CharlesDarwin, Nov 23, 2011

joefigg, Nov 18, 2011

oline73, Nov 16, 2011
3.93/5  rDev +10.1%

Growler picked up at the brewery for the PSU vs. Alabama game.

A: Yellow pour with a big white head. Lacing is great, retention is ok.

S: Big apricot smell with some peaches. Very light, very fruity.

T: The taste follows the smell. Apricot heavy, a hint medicinal, very light, dry aftertaste.

MF: Light, bubbly, taste coats the palate.

O: This was one of the beers that got me into craft beer. I love it. I know it isn't a great beer, but I will drink it every day. Love it.

russwbeck, Sep 17, 2011

A: Peachy hued light amber/golden (how appropriate). Quite small white head, clear and bright. Nada for lace.

S: Juicy apricot, but none too strong. Faint and plain wheat beer way in the background. Not a whole lot going on either in complexity or amplitude. Apricot grows as warms, beer stays muted.

T: Pith & skins stone fruit – only vaguely apricot, though clearly stone fruit. Barest fleeting hint of juicy sweetness. Odd astringent note lurking around the edges. Blah and weak wheat beer in background with just a touch of husk. No hops noticed. Bitterness that is present seems more tied to astringent note.

M: Under medium body with CO2 matched. Soft and just barely avoids being watery. Astringent, sort of medicinal, drying.

D: Doesn’t really hit the apricot note. Wheat beer doesn’t really show through. Sort of misses all the way around. Also angular and disjointed. Still, it would be somewhat more drinkable were it not for the astringent note. Hopefully it is a better beer on tap. If not, then since Otto’s is located in a college town, there must be many let down coeds.

SickGnar, Aug 28, 2011
3.5/5  rDev -2%

Poured from a brewery fresh bottle into a brand new pint glass. Straw yellow color with a half inch head. Nice color. Overwhelming apricot aroma. Very sweet smell. Super-basic light tasting summer quencher. Luckily it isn't as sweet as it smells although it gets a bit sweet after a few. Worth a try if you like the style.

rdub, Jun 09, 2011

Bottle thanks to heyta. Served in a tulip.

Pours a clear golden-copper color with a very thin white head that immediately fades and falls into a thin collar. A few spots of lacing. The nose has a bit of wheat and a slight apricot character. Mild peach there as well. The flavor is a short amount of apricot and there's a bit of bread in the background. A lightly-sweet malt presence. Light body with just a touch of sweetness and moderate carbonation. Lightly bitter in the finish. Fruit isn't strong, but is there. Decent enough, but not something I'd have again.

Thorpe429, Jun 06, 2011
2.2/5  rDev -38.4%

And I quote, "What the fuck is this? A white wine spritzer in my bomber? Who spiked my beer?"

Girlfriend: "Mmm! Thats tasty!"

Huh... is this the killshot? I wonder....

Tons of carbonation rise in this apple-juice like concotion. Low head, very low retention, and an almost imperceptible collar. Even with effort, this son of a stitch hides its colors.

This smells like I turned 13 again. It reminds me of sneaking wine coolers and pretending I'm drunk with my best pal at the time. I smell peach, mango, tangerines. Tropical party in my nostrils, and I want everyone else to be invited. There are no contrasting elements, however. Its just a pure bomb of sweet fruits. If I grabbed a package of gum, ripped off the cellophane wrapper, and took a whiff of Trident Super Bubble-fudge Tropicana-tastic I imagine it smells exactly like this. I begin to get nauseated from it. Some grape notes come forth as well leading me to think I'm secretly drinking a white wine.

Flavors... Well now its definitely a beer! Malty, bready, cardboard-like, and fruit smashed into the background. Is that wheat malt I'm tasting? Hrmmm... Its middle is mildly prickled and cellulosic. Almost like a piece of paper had been dipped into a peach schnapps before traipsing over my tongue. Finish leaves me with some minor mango melodies in the cheeks and almost entirely light biscuit flavors. The entire time there is a rotating stock of mangoes, peaches, grapes, and faint orange. Its never singular, and always confused.

Thin... razor thin... super razor thin. ULTRA razor thin. Watery, mild mild sticky nature. Carbonation is short lived and doesn't last a full glass. When it was there it was noticeable towards the center flavors and nowhere else. A nice crispness that helped the beer. Without it, I feel like this beer is tripping all over itself.

I don't like it. I don't think I'll ever like it. Its like someone mixed juice with my beer and I wanted a beer, damn it. What the hell is it though... the style. A fruit beer? It has these lager characteristics but can't be. Pale ale with no hops... American Pale Wheat Ale? Lets go with that.. but no hops damn it! Ugh.. Fruit beer? Ya... Fruit beer. So that'll bump the scores up a tad.

A-2.0 S-3.0 T-2.0 M-2.0 D-2.0

Reveal is! Apricot Wheat! What the... Ohhhh now I get the peach flavors and tropical aromas. Apricot is SO hard to nail down blind. Shit, I feel apricot itself is hard to nail down in a beer itself. Going back, I definitely see apricot in this beer. Hell, that is a feat itself and causes me to bump up my previous overall of 1.5 to a 2.0 ( already edited it ;) ). However, I'd probably never seek this bad boy out again.

Khazadum, May 18, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

22oz bomber poured into a Green Man snifter.

A - Pours a straw, light orange color with a pure white head. The body is surprisingly clear given the 'wheat' in the title; don't expect even a shred a sediment or wheat particles in this one. Head retention is pretty low, but the lacing is impressive. Can see steady carbonation streams through the body.

S - The nose on this beer is overwhelmingly apricot. While some breweries may through fruits in the title and have vague influences from the addition, don't worry about that with this beer. There is a ton of fresh, ripe, juicy apricots in the nose, damp-smelling as if standing in an orchard after a late-spring rain shower. The rest of the nose is made up mostly of the malt bill, which is grainy. A decent amount of wheat comes through as it warms as well.

T - If you don't like apricots, this beer is going to turn you away real quick, as the flavor is predominantly made up of the fruit, and it seems like a good amount of them too. The only adjectives I can use to describe their flavor is fresh and juicy, and it has a splash of sweetness that's akin to biting into one while drinking. Unfortunately, the taste kind of falls off after the initial apricot, receding into a rather pedestrian and overly grainy malt flavor. Remnants of apricot linger into the relatively short finish.

M - Mouthfeel is moderately light-bodied with medium carbonation. Pretty inoffensive to the palate but once you are done drinking there's little left to keep the flavor going.

D - Drinkability is moderate. This would be an excellent summer beer, drinking by a lake or campfire, but a bomber to myself became a little much about halfway through. Luckily Otto's recently began bottling in 6-packs, so if you feel yourself craving a big kick of apricot, seek this one out!

nhindian, Apr 12, 2011
3.68/5  rDev +3.1%

Thanks to russwbeck for the opportunity.

Perfectly clear light amber. Moderate white head falls quickly leaving little lace. Smell is popping with fruit, mostly apricot, intensely sweet with a caramel/sugary background, almost too much for me. Taste is sweet, but not as overpowering as the nose. It's toned down with more wheat character. A light bitterness in the finish, with an almost pit like character. Very light feel, drier than expected from the nose, which makes it easier to drink.

goatgoat, Jan 28, 2011
4.05/5  rDev +13.4%

The sunny apricot coloring of this beer reflect just what a drinker would expect. My family and I have enjoyed this beer on tap for years but the exact mug I am reviewing was the first Apricot Wheat brewed in the new Otto's brewery location.

The color and scent remained true to what I had always experienced; a strong apricot ester. The thin white head did not last long. The taste was the trademark fruity apricot, and a more rich banana and one of the best full wheat flavors I had ever experienced from Otto's Apricot Wheat.

Congratulations for Otto's making the brewery transition successful.

trueindigo, Jan 03, 2011
3.4/5  rDev -4.8%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

The beer pours a yellow color with a white head. The aroma is very heavy on the apricot with not too much else going on. There may be a little bit of wheat in the aroma, but it is basically just fruit. The flavor is more of the same. A whole lot of apricot and a tad bit of wheat. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

Mora2000, Nov 26, 2010
3.58/5  rDev +0.3%

A - Pours a nice golden-orange color with a little more then a finger's worth of white, foamy head

S - Apricot is dominant, some light toasty grain notes

T&M - This has a very crisp, almost seltzer like feel; very refreshing, I can see this as a great summer beer. Apricot is the dominant flavor, and the wheat is present as well, but it almost tastes like Grains of Paradise as well.

D - Very drinkable, as I finished the 22 oz bomber no problem, and could have certainly had another. Light and refreshing, easy to drink and enjoy.

ZeroSignal, Mar 25, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +28.9%

22oz bomber, served in a pint glass.

When I went to Penn State I was a regular at Otto's Brew Pub and one of their flagships that never disappoints is Otto's Apricot Wheat. On Tap, or out of the bottle, it's by far one of my favorite wheat beers. Here's why...

A - Bright golden color, much more clear than other wheats, (ex. Ithaca Apricot), color definately reminscent of apricot.

S - Little to no wheat scent but strong peach and apricot aromas. Much of the flavor is enhanced by the strong fruit smells.

T - Great taste, apricot flavor extremely pervasive, crispness from the light wheat style compliments the fruity flavor.

M - Filtered, light and crisp.

D - Definately a session beer, very drinkable, not heavy at all and the fruity, apricot flavor does not overwhelm the ability to drink more than one of these beers.

A Great Beer.

BorntoLate86, Dec 02, 2009

A 650 mL bottle purchased at the brewpub.

A: The wheat ale has a visually appealing amber color, lighter and more translucent than the bottle sitting next to it. A half a finger of head didn't do much.

S: The aroma is a light combination of sweet apricot and hearty wheat. The apricot becomes more dominant as the ale warms.

T: Much like the nose, the taste is driven by the apricot. The result is a pleasantly sweet ale that remains light throughout. Wheat appears near the back of each sip, adding a certain amount of body to the beer. The finish has an apricot zing that works better than most fruit beers.

M: The mouthfeel won't set the world aflame but the wheat and apricot pairing works nicely.

D: The ale is very easy to drink, light enough that it doesn't weigh you down and weak enough that it won't knock you out.

akorsak, Nov 07, 2009
3.78/5  rDev +5.9%

A- Golden yellow color with a little amount of haziness. Small head that does not stay around for very long with decent lacing.

S- The apricot unsurprisingly is what shines through here with the wheat taking a back seat. A malty and sugary sweetness smell is apparent and can only guess that it will be a sweet beer.

T- The taste of apricots is apparent immediately and the malt and sugary taste follows close after. Although there is a very sweet side to this beer, it is not overpowering and seems to mesh well with the style. The wheat and grain tastes finish out this beer.

M- Thin mouthfeel with a decent amount of carbonation apparent. Although a little too late, this would fit well for summer.

D- I did not have any problem getting through this beer, but I don't know that I would care for another. I say this only because I do not know if I would want another sugary sweet beer and it might partly have to do with the time of year. Either way, still a nice beer worth trying.

Lolli1315, Oct 14, 2009
3.83/5  rDev +7.3%

An amber body with almost no head.

Lots of apricot in the smell.

A pretty good apricot wheat beer. Not overpoweringly sweet with some wheat tones in the background.

Mouthfeel is moderately creamy with a medium body.

Good drinkability, I downed this faster than I thought without noticing.

Hojaminbag, Oct 14, 2008
4.13/5  rDev +15.7%

LIke a previous reviewer I also first had this beer on tap at the Bullfrog in Williamsport when Charlie worked there.

A - Hazy light golden orange color with a small white head.

S - Big apricot with a nice floral and wheat maltiness

T - Man o man...apricot heaven This is afterall an apricot wheat is it not? Some feel it may be a bit much....but not to me most of the time. It does vary slightly from batch to batch so....somewhat floral as well.

M - Thin and a bit watery...does not "hold up" well. But this is supposed to be a refreshing beer.

D - A wonderful fruit wheat. This does not have the annoying fake taste (read extract) that many fruit wheats I have had other places....but has the taste of REAL apricot! This is a great hot weather beer.

Deuane, Nov 26, 2007
3.85/5  rDev +7.8%

Growler thoughtfully provided by Otto's for a recent tasting event at Zeno's & quite popular at that time... but not regularly available unless we beg Dave to put it on for a quick sixtel some time. (hint)

Poured myself a short sample prior to serving any guests to reacquaint myself with the beer. Pretty much as I remembered it from the last time I had a growler of it at home some few months back, showing good consistent brewing. Appearance is of a slightly hazy amber with very little head (but what there is is a nice white). Aroma is full of the perfume of apricot. Flavor likewise is full of sweet dried apricot. Impression is of fruit and sweetness, with some light hop to balance, but little of the "wheat" character shows through other than in the overall lightness of the beer. Quite delicious, and easy to drink ... especially as the weather warms finally here in town.

jsbrendle, Apr 23, 2007
4.15/5  rDev +16.2%

This is my favorite beer from Otto's. I have had it many times on-tap as well as at home from a growler.

The first thing I notice when served a pint is the intoxicating aroma. It emanates such a delicious bouquet full of apricot, citrus, and, floral delight. Having sampled many overpowering fruit flavored beers; I'm sensitive to those that manage to integrate the flavor in a way that does not blind your taste buds to the other nuances. This beer does just that. The top flavor is obviously apricot, but it is not so prominent that you can't detect the more subtle underlying notes.

A very drinkable beer that is full-flavored, robust, and not overly carbonated; great for quaffing on a hot summer day.

jjw152, Jul 02, 2006
3.53/5  rDev -1.1%

I first had this beer many years ago when Charlie (the brewmaster) was still at the Bullfrog in Williamsport. I remember being impressed by how the apricot balanced out the perfuminess of the wheat. It hasn’t changed too much since then with the exception of having a stronger apricot flavor than I remembered.
The beer is a slightly cloudy, deep straw color with a small, white, mostly diminishing head and very little lacing. The aroma is heavy of apricot over a floral bouquet of wheat and hops. The taste is, in my opinion, overpowered by the apricot and you have to concentrate to pick up the other flavors. If the apricot flavor was cut back just a little bit, I think this would be a much more well-rounded beer. My wife, however, loves this beer as is, and we both agree that the apricot flavor is good, not that fake apricot flavor we’ve come across before. Other flavors are a light underlying citrus and a bit of a malt sweetness. The finish is moderate to short in duration, a little malty, slightly yeasty, with a hint of citrus and spice. Mouthfeel is light and watery with low carbonation. Overall, not a bad beer.

ski271, Feb 09, 2005