Bitteschlappe - Excelsior Brewing Co.

BitteschlappeBitteschlappe

Excelsior Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.80% ABV

Beer added by: morimech on 11-11-2012

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
2.81/5  rDev -17.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

On tap from Excelsior tap room. Dark brown color with little head dissolving to a light lace. Nice aroma, malty and slightly nutty. Good toasted malt flavor, but a bit one dimensional. Slightly sweet with clean finish. Very lightly carbonated.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.49/5  rDev +2.9%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.04/5  rDev -39.8%

Poured into a nice goblet this presents an excellent first impression: Two fingers of tightly knit, medium-tan (brownish) head which holds firm for a couple of minutes before dropping gradually and leaving behind a nice lacing as it does so.

Nose… infection? Tangy and lactic -- not in a good way. Malty-sweet. No hop presence.

Taste is as is the nose: Not good. Malt profile is perfectly-obscured by the off-flavors.

This sample bottle would be a "drain-pour" for me if I weren't so stubborn and need of a hair of the dog after a tough night at The Turf.

I will try it again on tap some day I am sure, but I would not make a trip to the brewery to sample any other offerings if this packaged example is emblematic of what the brewery is rushing to the market.

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

2.5/5  rDev -26.3%

3.4/5  rDev +0.3%

3.5/5  rDev +3.2%

All right, well, the server winced at my pronunciation when I tried to order my first one (I think you can guess where I went with it), so I just went with "Yeah, uh, the draft Excelsior" for my second.

I had two, because it's good.

Strong announcement of coffee right off the bat, but balanced up top with a distinct tangy note for balance. Complex for a moment or two as the coffee, roasted flavors, a hint of chocolate and the slight tang round off, but it all meets up for a smooth and balanced finish.

I liked this - it won't displace others in my lineup, but a strong effort and worth a look.

1.66/5  rDev -51%

After having a sampler of this at the Autumn Brew Review last fall & thinking "this is the best brown I've ever had!" I need to a bigger drink. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour doesn't look quite right; beer is close to completely flat. Bubbles are only raised when I pour from a ladder into the glass. Dark brown in color. Aroma is nice & malty with a shot of hops that I recall from the sample.

Bitteschlappe is a beer gone worse than a Times Two video. The aroma vanishes into a hellish cycle of bitter sour; Infection Gone Wild. There's no hint of a brown in here & no reason to take more than two sips.

WTF? This beer was so good, so smooth, so original on tap, the bottle is foul & undrinkable. I'll certainly give Excelsior a shot again on tap, but I won't try any more bottles until I hear some good reports. Dumping.

3.75/5  rDev +10.6%

4.75/5  rDev +40.1%

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Bitteschlappe from Excelsior Brewing Co.