Bitteschlappe - Excelsior Brewing Co.

BitteschlappeBitteschlappe

pDev: 20%
Excelsior Brewing Co. visit their website
Minnesota, United States

American Brown Ale |  6.80% ABV

(Beer added by: morimech on 11-11-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.49/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

1.96/5  rDev -42.4%

Poured into a nice goblet this presents an excellent first impression: Two fingers of tightly knit, medium-tan (brownish) head which holds firm for a couple of minutes before dropping gradually and leaving behind a nice lacing as it does so.

Nose… infection? Tangy and lactic -- not in a good way. Malty-sweet. No hop presence.

Taste is as is the nose: Not good. Malt profile is perfectly-obscured by the off-flavors.

This sample bottle would be a "drain-pour" for me if I weren't so stubborn and need of a hair of the dog after a tough night at The Turf.

I will try it again on tap some day I am sure, but I would not make a trip to the brewery to sample any other offerings if this packaged example is emblematic of what the brewery is rushing to the market.

4.25/5  rDev +25%

4.25/5  rDev +25%

2.5/5  rDev -26.5%

3.4/5  rDev 0%

3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

All right, well, the server winced at my pronunciation when I tried to order my first one (I think you can guess where I went with it), so I just went with "Yeah, uh, the draft Excelsior" for my second.

I had two, because it's good.

Strong announcement of coffee right off the bat, but balanced up top with a distinct tangy note for balance. Complex for a moment or two as the coffee, roasted flavors, a hint of chocolate and the slight tang round off, but it all meets up for a smooth and balanced finish.

I liked this - it won't displace others in my lineup, but a strong effort and worth a look.

1.55/5  rDev -54.4%

After having a sampler of this at the Autumn Brew Review last fall & thinking "this is the best brown I've ever had!" I need to a bigger drink. 22 oz. bottle split with my wife.

Pour doesn't look quite right; beer is close to completely flat. Bubbles are only raised when I pour from a ladder into the glass. Dark brown in color. Aroma is nice & malty with a shot of hops that I recall from the sample.

Bitteschlappe is a beer gone worse than a Times Two video. The aroma vanishes into a hellish cycle of bitter sour; Infection Gone Wild. There's no hint of a brown in here & no reason to take more than two sips.

WTF? This beer was so good, so smooth, so original on tap, the bottle is foul & undrinkable. I'll certainly give Excelsior a shot again on tap, but I won't try any more bottles until I hear some good reports. Dumping.

3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

4.75/5  rDev +39.7%

3.66/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

What's a Bitteschlappe? I went to google.com on the internets and found that nine out of the first 10 links provided in a search related to this beer, and the tenth was in German. I had no time to search further, so I'll leave that quest for another time. The main thing we know for sure is that it is a brown ale from Excelsior Brewing, and here are my notes:

Excelsior Brewing Company Bitteschlappe Brown Ale, 6.5% ABV., 22 fluid ounces.

Is this my first Excelsior beer on here? I think so. Don't recall ever picking up one. If so, cheers to that, then!

Clear, caramel brown, slim, slightly tanned head.

Aroma: soft, nutty, creamy. Pleasant.

Taste: light bitter hop bite right off the bat, then malt takes command and all is smoothness. With a smack of sweetness, a lick of caramel, ending just this side of dry. Continues with sweetness in each continuing sip, that never quite quits, nor does it cloy.

I'm thinking this Excelsior Brewing Company is a bit boat obsessed. There appears to be one in their logo, the label illustration is a pier, and their motto seems to be "Choose Your Craft!" Underneath it we read this: "Bitteschlappe Brown Ale. A medium-bodied, smooth, dark ale. robustly malted with lots of Vienna malt, flavors of caramel, toffee, coco in the finish. this Munich inspired ale will slap you silly with malt flavor and aroma. You may call it what you will, but call on it you will. Brewed and bottled in Excelsior, Minnesota by Excelsior Brewing Company, LLC."

And I thought it was called Excelsior Brewing because they were members of the Merry Marvel Marching Society. Face front, true believers, as Stan Lee would say. Well, you can't win them all.

But you can't lose with this ale, though (how about that segue, huh?) …good beer and you can drink it! Excelsior!

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Bitteschlappe from Excelsior Brewing Co.