Rook - Rogness Brewing Company

good

Rogness Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: videofrog on 08-13-2012)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

M - a touch too watery mildly astringent. 2.5

D - easy enough to drink but lackluster taste and smell 2.5

NO, NO, NO, NO

3.08/5  rDev -11.5%

Served from a 22oz bottle into 2 standard pints.

My first impression was "insanely carbonated" as it foamed an airy, high head immediately into the first glass.

My first sensation was the smoke but my wife went straight to band-aid so we may have gotten a poor batch.

After it set for a few minutes, the light "sting" on the tongue was still there but the overall flavor improved. It has a malty, sweet taste that to me felt similar to a Brown. So if Tadcastle ever burns down, this is what might come of it.

Overall we didn't like it much, but as I said, it's possible we got a bad one as no one else seems to have mentioned the foam.

1.66/5  rDev -52.3%

While I love a peaty whisky, something about this gives it a medicinal flavor. No, that's not quite right, it's more of a clinical flavor. It tastes like a doctor's exam room smells, like some combination of disinfectant and Band-Aids. It also gives the tongue a bit of a tingle. I expect this from a good Scotch, but not from an ale. I suspect I'd have a numb tongue after a few, but I doubt I'll have another any time soon.

3.65/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Color on this reminds me of an antique leather - in a good way. Rich brown with some golden notes in the light. Poured with about a fingers worth of head that dissipated down to a minimal ring very quickly, with no lacing to speak of.

Nose is very heavy on the sweet malt with a little bit of underlying peatiness. The deeper I inhaled the more the peat came to dominate. If you're a fan of certain Scotch Whisky (as I am) then the smoky peat can be very pleasant, but it could be off-putting to people unfamiliar with the flavor as it does smell a little boggy.

Palette follows the nose on this one, with the sweet caramel malt really dominating. Very little bitterness here and no detectable hop notes at all. The peat flavor underlies it all and, as with the nose, your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and has very little carbonation.

The wee heavy is not a style I'm super familiar with, so hard for me to say how well this rates for type. My overall impression is that this one is enjoyable but a little one note. I don't normally say this, but I think this would have benefitted greatly from a higher ABV. A little warming booziness to it and I could see myself having this as a go-to beer when (if) the weather cools off.

1.69/5  rDev -51.4%

By far the worst beer made

My friends bar had this beer in the wall for over a month could not get rid of it lowered the price to .50

Look:
Dark brown good head

Smell: peaty and smokey. Hint of a mortuary smell

Taste: burnt rubber, band aids.

Feel: get it out of my mouth I don't care about the feel.

3.8/5  rDev +9.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Pours dark brown and cloudy with an off white light tan 1 finger head.

S - Lots of smoke up front. Sweet toasted malts behind the smokiness.

T - Definitely taste the smokiness but not as strong as I expected. Small amount of caramel toffee malts.

M - Low to medium carbonation. Slightly thick but not heavy.

O - This is a very good beer. My first from Rogness. It is a little more smokey than others of the Scotch Ale style that I have had. I would definitely drink this again but probably won't seek it out.

4.25/5  rDev +22.1%