2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Rook - Rogness Brewing Company

Rook
No picture uploaded.
good

Rogness Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

Scotch Ale / Wee Heavy |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: videofrog on 08-13-2012)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers
Ratings: 31 | Reviews: 5 | Show All Ratings:
TXBulldog

3.65/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle into a tulip glass.

Color on this reminds me of an antique leather - in a good way. Rich brown with some golden notes in the light. Poured with about a fingers worth of head that dissipated down to a minimal ring very quickly, with no lacing to speak of.

Nose is very heavy on the sweet malt with a little bit of underlying peatiness. The deeper I inhaled the more the peat came to dominate. If you're a fan of certain Scotch Whisky (as I am) then the smoky peat can be very pleasant, but it could be off-putting to people unfamiliar with the flavor as it does smell a little boggy.

Palette follows the nose on this one, with the sweet caramel malt really dominating. Very little bitterness here and no detectable hop notes at all. The peat flavor underlies it all and, as with the nose, your mileage may vary on how much you enjoy that.

Mouthfeel is a little thin and has very little carbonation.

The wee heavy is not a style I'm super familiar with, so hard for me to say how well this rates for type. My overall impression is that this one is enjoyable but a little one note. I don't normally say this, but I think this would have benefitted greatly from a higher ABV. A little warming booziness to it and I could see myself having this as a go-to beer when (if) the weather cools off.

09-12-2013 00:57:14 | More by TXBulldog
vcoggins

3.8/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

22 oz bottle
Served in a tulip glass

A - Pours dark brown and cloudy with an off white light tan 1 finger head.

S - Lots of smoke up front. Sweet toasted malts behind the smokiness.

T - Definitely taste the smokiness but not as strong as I expected. Small amount of caramel toffee malts.

M - Low to medium carbonation. Slightly thick but not heavy.

O - This is a very good beer. My first from Rogness. It is a little more smokey than others of the Scotch Ale style that I have had. I would definitely drink this again but probably won't seek it out.

06-07-2013 02:09:25 | More by vcoggins
Rroskey

1.69/5  rDev -54.1%

By far the worst beer made

My friends bar had this beer in the wall for over a month could not get rid of it lowered the price to .50

Look:
Dark brown good head

Smell: peaty and smokey. Hint of a mortuary smell

Taste: burnt rubber, band aids.

Feel: get it out of my mouth I don't care about the feel.

06-20-2013 16:32:27 | More by Rroskey
champ103

4.16/5  rDev +13%

On tap at Nobi Public House.

A: Pours a dark brown, nearly black color. A two finger tan head forms and gently recedes to a ring that sticks throughout. Light lace is left behind.
S: Up front is big smoke aromas. Not full on peat, but more smoked malt. Toasted malt, chocolate, wood, lightly sweet in the nose as well. Very nice.
T: Follows the nose with plenty of smoke flavor. Almost meaty smoked malt. Toasted and slightly sweet caramel malts. Chocolate, wood. I like it.
M/D: A medium to full body. Moderate carbonation, smooth. The heavy smoked malt character makes this a slower sipper than normal for me. Though still very enjoyable.

This is a good Scotch Ale. I am very happy to have found this, and very pleased that this is not just sweet malts that many American brewery versions are. There is plenty of depth here. Very nice.

02-09-2013 17:02:26 | More by champ103
videofrog

3.38/5  rDev -8.2%

Served on-tap at the Flying Saucer in Austin.

A: Dark brown, nearly opaque with garnet hues on the edges. Off-white head.

S: Peat smoke, alochol, sweet malts.

T: Peat smoke really strong, alcohol there, toffee, earthy hops, more than usual for the style, but still in the background.

M: Nice and thick, but not as much as I'd like. Carb is low as it should be, dry finish.

O: I liked this offering from Rogness, but won't likely be seeking it out again. I found the peat smoke to be overpowering, but at least it was there. Iron Thistle is easier drinking, but little to no smoke. Rook has more flavor, but I'm still searching for that great Texas Wee Heavy.

08-13-2012 18:20:35 | More by videofrog