Midnight Ale - Wicked Beaver Brewing Company

poor

Wicked Beaver Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Black Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 07-19-2012)
View: Beers (5) |  Events

3.75/5  rDev +44.8%

05-12-2014 00:55:53 | More by Wedcat
AtrumAnimus

4.35/5  rDev +68%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Pours A perfect midnight black just like the label states. The beer is impenetrable to light and has a nice thick lightly tanned head. The head settles slowly and barely leaves any lacing down the glass.

The nose is nicely smoked malt with a milder than expected hop to it. The nose thinner than I suspected. It is a dry nose.

The taste is nice and crisp and drier than I expected. I is very effervescent and extremely nice. The malt is there but not sweet. There is a tiny hint of sour. Not unpleasant, just enjoyable. The hops are strong but typical American over strong and are nicely balanced with the dryness.

The mouthfeel is decent and is not too watery, just right for this style of beer.

Overall, the taste is very enjoyable and a great pleaser for the palate.

03-20-2014 23:05:13 | More by AtrumAnimus
Chucker17

South Dakota

03-03-2014 22:38:22 | More by Chucker17
Uanof

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

Black as the midnight, huge uncontrolable head, extremely off flavors of soap and metal, very hard to distinguish any actual beer flavor from it if there is actually one. My very first beer down the drain. Why wouldn't they let me put a score under 1? Seriously though, better keep trying better if you wanna survive on this market.

02-22-2014 07:26:49 | More by Uanof

millerbuffoon

11-21-2013 23:58:23 | More by millerbuffoon
kojevergas

2.19/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with unbranded silver coloured pry-off pressure cap and uninteresting label art acquired at me locla HEB grocery and served into an Avery stem-snifter in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given its current 71 rating. This is my first beer from this brewery. I'm also skeptical because this relatively young style - black IPA - is difficult to pull off because of the careful balance required. 6.02% ABV according to my bottle. I can't find a best before/bottled on date on the label or bottle.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours almost entirely foam/head. There's maybe an inch of visible body at the bottom of me snifter. Head has a lovely soft complexion and smooth consistency, with great thickness and pretty good creaminess. Overcarbonation is suspected. Head retention is excellent - about 10 minutes, but the inability of the head to recede proves problematic because the drinker has to wait a long time prior to consumption; you'd have to tilt it at too steep an angle in order to cut through the foam and get to the beer while drinking. Spotty "legs" cling to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. This isn't an even consistent lacing coat.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black. No yeast particles are visible.

Looking above average for a black IPA, but I'm skeptical of the carbonation. Not unique or special. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Metallic. A bit funky as well. Light cocoa powder. Dark malts. Stale chocolate malts. Unfortunately, I can't find any roasted character. Maybe a bit of cheap instant coffee? Hop profile is generic and floral; there's little of interest in terms of hop character here. It's a light, airy aroma, but isn't fresh or appealing. The cocoa powder is the best thing here. It seems like it's going to be acrid and acidic. There's definitely a couple off-notes here.

No yeast or alcohol is detectable. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying this one after smelling it, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. I'd really love more of the cocoa character, and some roasted barley presence would do it wonders. Above average to mild in strength. I wouldn't call it pleasant.

T: Yeah, there's some acridity here - a harshness, perhaps resulting from the cheap acidic coffee bean that is evident. It's got some generic chocolate malt and somewhat stale dark malt notes for its meagre foundation. Somewhat metallic throughout. Overly acidic as well. Hop profile is bland - just generic floral notes. I really wish there was some roasted barley character here, but it's sorely lacking.

Very shallow depth of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Slightly below average intensity of flavour for the style. Lacks complexity and subtlety. Very heavy-handed and sloppy, with tolerable but unwelcome off-notes. It's not outright offensive, but it does bother. Sweetness/bitterness balance is off. It's not at all well-balanced. Not a cohesive or gestalt beer. I wouldn't quite call it a mess, but it's in serious need of work.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Harsh and aggressive. Overcarbonated. Way too acidic for a black IPA. Acrid. Smooth and wet. Poor presence on the palate. A bit biting - entirely from the texture and not from the hops. Doesn't complement the flavour profile well, though it does have an underlying softness that would be lovely if the acidity wasn't destroying it. Okay body and thickness.

Not oily, pleasant, approachable, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Dr: Quite a mediocre Black IPA. I feared this would lack balance as most Black IPAs do, but that's actually the least of its problems. The overt off notes and sloppy execution make this beer one to skip. The price point isn't flattering, either. I'll be cautious with future offerings from this brewery, and I'd warn friends from trying this beer. I'll finish the bottle alone without too much bitching, but overall this is a letdown. As much as I hoped this would be good, the sad reality is it's quite a poor beer. Don't bother.

Drinks as well as it can from a snifter, but I'd probably go for a conical pint glass if I was forced to try this again.

Not for aging.

Wouldn't pair well with any food.

D

DillanWeems

10-22-2013 04:10:24 | More by DillanWeems
XXVII

3.8/5  rDev +46.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Received a bottle from a friend at work.

I liked this beer. Has a thin head and smells like fresh ground coffee. Low on carbonation and is slightly thin given the dark appearance. On first gulp I got an immediate taste of toasty hops, then an almost espresso like taste lingered.

Overall I liked this beer and would drink it again. A lot lighter on the palate than what I thought it would be. Nice change of pace for what I normally drink.

07-30-2013 05:56:10 | More by XXVII

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

12-27-2012 23:55:17 | More by kjkinsey
Adix

1.33/5  rDev -48.6%

Had this beer on tap at a local pub. I really, really wanted this beer to be good, as it's brewed locally.

Beer looks fine out of the tap. It's dark brown and amber, and had a decent Blumen (head). I picked up notes of chocolate and hops, which I thought strange being that I was expected the beer to be more along the lines of a smooth, malty stout. No matter, took a big swig.

Ouch. This beer is confused. It's almost like someone took an American Guiness and mixed it with a midrange IPA, then poured a little soap in the mix for good measure. The beer felt thin and watery, not at all what I expected from a beer of this color and (supposed) 8% ABV.

It was not tasty, and I asked if the keg had turned. I was with a friend who had the same reaction, so we had the bartender dump the beer and pour a FIreman 4 instead.

I also tried this beer at a public sampling before it was released, with similar results. I thought maybe at the time that they were still working out the kinks. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine that the brewmasters actually drink beer, and, more specifically, drink THIS beer.

10-25-2012 19:04:27 | More by Adix