Midnight Ale - Wicked Beaver Brewing Company

poor

Wicked Beaver Brewing Company visit their website
Texas, United States

American Black Ale |  8.00% ABV

(Beer added by: Mora2000 on 07-19-2012)
View: Beers (5) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
DillanWeems

10-22-2013 04:10:24 | More by DillanWeems
Uanof

1.25/5  rDev -51.7%

Black as the midnight, huge uncontrolable head, extremely off flavors of soap and metal, very hard to distinguish any actual beer flavor from it if there is actually one. My very first beer down the drain. Why wouldn't they let me put a score under 1? Seriously though, better keep trying better if you wanna survive on this market.

02-22-2014 07:26:49 | More by Uanof
Adix

1.33/5  rDev -48.6%

Had this beer on tap at a local pub. I really, really wanted this beer to be good, as it's brewed locally.

Beer looks fine out of the tap. It's dark brown and amber, and had a decent Blumen (head). I picked up notes of chocolate and hops, which I thought strange being that I was expected the beer to be more along the lines of a smooth, malty stout. No matter, took a big swig.

Ouch. This beer is confused. It's almost like someone took an American Guiness and mixed it with a midrange IPA, then poured a little soap in the mix for good measure. The beer felt thin and watery, not at all what I expected from a beer of this color and (supposed) 8% ABV.

It was not tasty, and I asked if the keg had turned. I was with a friend who had the same reaction, so we had the bartender dump the beer and pour a FIreman 4 instead.

I also tried this beer at a public sampling before it was released, with similar results. I thought maybe at the time that they were still working out the kinks. I'm sorry, but I can't imagine that the brewmasters actually drink beer, and, more specifically, drink THIS beer.

10-25-2012 19:04:27 | More by Adix

Oregon

10-19-2012 16:51:23 | More by crusian
kojevergas

2.19/5  rDev -15.4%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 1.75 | overall: 2.25

22 fl oz brown glass bottle with unbranded silver coloured pry-off pressure cap and uninteresting label art acquired at me locla HEB grocery and served into an Avery stem-snifter in me gaff in low altitude Austin, Texas. Reviewed live. Expectations are average given its current 71 rating. This is my first beer from this brewery. I'm also skeptical because this relatively young style - black IPA - is difficult to pull off because of the careful balance required. 6.02% ABV according to my bottle. I can't find a best before/bottled on date on the label or bottle.

Served cold - straight from me fridge. Side-poured with standard vigor as no carbonation issues are anticipated.

A: No bubble show forms as I pour.

Pours almost entirely foam/head. There's maybe an inch of visible body at the bottom of me snifter. Head has a lovely soft complexion and smooth consistency, with great thickness and pretty good creaminess. Overcarbonation is suspected. Head retention is excellent - about 10 minutes, but the inability of the head to recede proves problematic because the drinker has to wait a long time prior to consumption; you'd have to tilt it at too steep an angle in order to cut through the foam and get to the beer while drinking. Spotty "legs" cling to the sides of the glass as the head recedes. This isn't an even consistent lacing coat.

Body colour is a predictable opaque solid black. No yeast particles are visible.

Looking above average for a black IPA, but I'm skeptical of the carbonation. Not unique or special. I'm looking forward to trying it.

Sm: Metallic. A bit funky as well. Light cocoa powder. Dark malts. Stale chocolate malts. Unfortunately, I can't find any roasted character. Maybe a bit of cheap instant coffee? Hop profile is generic and floral; there's little of interest in terms of hop character here. It's a light, airy aroma, but isn't fresh or appealing. The cocoa powder is the best thing here. It seems like it's going to be acrid and acidic. There's definitely a couple off-notes here.

No yeast or alcohol is detectable. I can't say I'm looking forward to trying this one after smelling it, but I'm trying to remain optimistic. I'd really love more of the cocoa character, and some roasted barley presence would do it wonders. Above average to mild in strength. I wouldn't call it pleasant.

T: Yeah, there's some acridity here - a harshness, perhaps resulting from the cheap acidic coffee bean that is evident. It's got some generic chocolate malt and somewhat stale dark malt notes for its meagre foundation. Somewhat metallic throughout. Overly acidic as well. Hop profile is bland - just generic floral notes. I really wish there was some roasted barley character here, but it's sorely lacking.

Very shallow depth of flavour. Average duration of flavour. Slightly below average intensity of flavour for the style. Lacks complexity and subtlety. Very heavy-handed and sloppy, with tolerable but unwelcome off-notes. It's not outright offensive, but it does bother. Sweetness/bitterness balance is off. It's not at all well-balanced. Not a cohesive or gestalt beer. I wouldn't quite call it a mess, but it's in serious need of work.

No yeast character or alcohol comes through.

Mf: Harsh and aggressive. Overcarbonated. Way too acidic for a black IPA. Acrid. Smooth and wet. Poor presence on the palate. A bit biting - entirely from the texture and not from the hops. Doesn't complement the flavour profile well, though it does have an underlying softness that would be lovely if the acidity wasn't destroying it. Okay body and thickness.

Not oily, pleasant, approachable, gushed, hot, or boozy.

Dr: Quite a mediocre Black IPA. I feared this would lack balance as most Black IPAs do, but that's actually the least of its problems. The overt off notes and sloppy execution make this beer one to skip. The price point isn't flattering, either. I'll be cautious with future offerings from this brewery, and I'd warn friends from trying this beer. I'll finish the bottle alone without too much bitching, but overall this is a letdown. As much as I hoped this would be good, the sad reality is it's quite a poor beer. Don't bother.

Drinks as well as it can from a snifter, but I'd probably go for a conical pint glass if I was forced to try this again.

Not for aging.

Wouldn't pair well with any food.

D

11-08-2013 03:56:41 | More by kojevergas
Mora2000

2.2/5  rDev -15.1%

The beer pours a dark brown color with a large tan head. The aroma is not very good. I get some roasted malt and pine notes - as expected - but there is also something else that smells a bit off. The flavor, unfortunately, follows suit, but too a much more severe level. I get a very watery acidic character with some slightly roasted malt and chocolate. There is also some pine. High carbonation and thin mouthfeel. This brewery is new and hopefully they improve because this was not a good beer.

07-19-2012 04:08:57 | More by Mora2000

2.75/5  rDev +6.2%

12-27-2012 23:55:17 | More by kjkinsey
DavidST

2.83/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a 22 oz bottle into a pint glass, unknown bottled date. This pours a nice pitch black color with a nice tan head. The smells are of roasted malts, choco and alcohol. The feel is medium. The taste is missing something, weird off after taste, a little dark chocolate but not great.

07-31-2012 03:36:40 | More by DavidST