Red Oak Amber - Red Oak Brewery

Red Oak Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2002

From the brewery: Red Oak Amber is a Munich Urtyp (Old Style) Lager. We begin the brewing process with custom kilned imported Munich Malt. Red Oak is then hopped with Spalt Noble Hops imported from Bavaria, the oldest hop growing region in the world. Before fermentation we add a yeast strain from Weihenstephen, the oldest brewery in the world, founded before 1040 AD. Weeks of aging gives Red Oak the smooth taste it is known for.
Ratings: 319 | Reviews: 114
3.01/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3

An extremely average lager. I don't regret drinking it but probably won't return to it.

4.06/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

Pours a deep amber with very slight head and mild carbonation. The smell is rich sweet malt with some grass. The taste is full bodied malt, with an ever so faint hops presence. The feel is creamy, but could use it bit more carbonation to fully satisfy. Overall, a very impressive amber lager. If you think Yuengling is good you ain't seen nothing yet.

4.54/5  rDev +21.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Red Oak Amber is everything I want from a beer. Great body with smooth malts, with just the right amount of hops to lighten it up, and a good, refreshing finish. My current favourite.

Red Oak is delicious Amber lager. Smooth, nice color. Session.

4.07/5  rDev +9.1%

Like the best Yuengling you will ever have

4.5/5  rDev +20.6%

A great local brew but unfortunately not suitable for long-distance exporting due to its need for constant refrigeration. Brewed according to the Reinheitsgebot, this local North Carolina unfiltered and unpasteurized amber lager contains no preservatives or additives. A longtime favorite of mine, I still grab a case pretty much every time I visit my folks back in NC. Haven't tried Red Oak's other varieties yet but will next time I'm down that way.

4.33/5  rDev +16.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Have liked this beer since the first time I tried back in the late 90's. It has a yeasty quality that just seems to appeal to my senses (perhaps it reminds me of my Mom's freshly baked breads ?). There can be great variances in quality in flavor at different serving locations. Discovered that the Red Oak served at high volume vendors tastes the best (much more "normal" taste), have had terrible tasting Red Oak at places that do not keep it flowing regularly. Very thankful that it is now sold in bottles so that we can enjoy at home and share with my family in southeastern VA.

4.58/5  rDev +22.8%

Real good local NC brew. Good drinkability with an awesome taste

4.39/5  rDev +17.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured from tap in s 16 oz glass. Nice amber color. Sweet flavor. Real good

3.88/5  rDev +4%

Poured into Abita "Surrender to the Haze" pint glass.

A: As the name suggests, very deep, amber color. The brewery themselves advocate pouring with no angle; following their directions, developed a fairly large light tan head that dissipated quickly with minimal lacing.

S: Honey wheat bread comes to mind. Reminds me of a pleasant bakery back home.

T: Classically smooth flavors in the beginning. Think Yuengling, but without all of the negatives. Very malty, almost like drinking a hearty liquid bread. Ends with a pleasant sweetness and a twang of interestingly fitting slight sourness. Would make for a good mid-summer drink here in Louisiana.

F: Thick and full bodied. More filling than the classic American macro styles. Could almost serve as a meal in itself!

It's a shame this beer needs refrigerating throughout all of its life, I'd love to see it makes its way down to the deep south. A beer I would always keep handy for sporting events and get-togethers.

4.66/5  rDev +24.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Look: Nice amber color, head dissipates quickly though. Fairly clear with a slight haziness.

Smell: Smooth and sweet.

Taste: Strong point for this beer. It has a malty flavor throughout. Well-rounded, satisfying, refreshing are words that come to mind.

Feel: Solid throughout, good finish. Very smooth, full-bodied.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%

crisp, clean, beautiful beer that quenches during any season

4.94/5  rDev +32.4%

My all-time favorite beer. It's a damn shame that you can only get it in North Carolina.

4.75/5  rDev +27.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Very easy drinking Lager. Compares to Yuengling but much more crisp and clean tasting

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3.5

Full of flavor! This brew if very light on hops. I like that for a change.

4.26/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

My favorite amber lager. Nice malty flavor, great texture. My go to beer with a meal. Try their seasonal varieties; Big Oak, Battlefield Bock.

4.3/5  rDev +15.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

0✖▼▲
4.29/5 rDev +9.4%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours a light amber color with a dense white foam. The aroma is sweet and fruity, impressive for a Vienna. Light malt and hardly a trace of floral hops. Quite an appetizing aroma.

The taste is malty but balanced, caramel, toffee, light tea like hop flavors. Ultra clean yet full bodied and satisfying. This beer is brewery only and always refrigerated. What else can you ask for in a Vienna Lager? Thx to my cousin Brennan for hauling this back from North Carolina.

3.5/5  rDev -6.2%

Tried this at a rehearsal dinner. Not bad, I've had better NC beers

3.75/5  rDev +0.5%

Smooth, crisp easy-drinking amber lager.

4.04/5  rDev +8.3%

Disclaimer: About three of my five years in college revolved around this beer. I tried a lot of other options back then, but this was the go-to beer. It was flavorful, super easy to drink and just lovely on all levels. So I am a little biased to this beer. I still keep some in the fridge all the time.

For this review, enjoyed at the Red Oak brewery in their sample glass.

A: A lovely dark amber with hints of red and brown. A nice frothy head, minimal lacing, some carbonation, wonderfully attractive for an amber lager.

S: Rich malts and barley, very little citrus or alcohol, some hops. Deep, "hot" earthy notes, some pine perhaps. Exactly what you want from a standard amber lager that's not brewed with any flavor additives.

T: Red Oak is smooth, crisp, easy to drink with medium to above average flavors. It is not a heavy flavored beer as compared to a high ABV Belgian or similar, but it is a lovely German-style lager. It's primary flavor is a semi-sweet, slightly hoppy lager that's full of nice heavy malts, some caramel flavors and a good floral and slightly citrus hoppy bite that manifests on the back of your tongue at the finish. In my opinion, bar none the best medium-ABV medium-flavor lager and one the best balanced beers I've ever had the pleasure of enjoying. It's a little less hoppy than Fat Tire and Boston Lager with more malts and slightly more sweetness.

M: Smooth and crisp on the finish, perfect for easy drinking.

O: A lovely thing. Again, one of the best balanced beers out there in my opinion and certainly one of the most rewarding amber lagers.

3.49/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This is a gorgeous amber beer, with a solid 3/4in head. There was a bit of tang in the nose with an overall excellent aroma. The flavor was mostly malty and sweet, but really there wasn't a whole lot of flavor there. I expected a little more based on the aroma. However, it certainly lives up to its claim of smoothness. It is a very drinkable beer. Drink it while it is cold though, the sweetness gets to be a bit much when it starts to warm up.

3.59/5  rDev -3.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A neighbor brought a bottle to me in Ohio from North Carolina and kept it cold per bottle warning. Poured into a mid-20th century hollow-stem beer glass. Carbonation was moderate with with small bubbles and light head. Noticed a slight yeast taste but not bad. Beautiful read-brown, clear color and no sediment in the bottle which I expected based on the description on the bottle. Felt a little tingly at first but mellowed to a smoother feel as it warmed and settled. Overall a good, smooth beer but a tad on the bland side for my taste.

My favorite beer! They do a wonderful job making sure there is no difference in the tap and the bottle! Amazing! I can't wait for it to be available everywhere! I had this beer the first time a the mellow mushroom in Greensboro, nc it went great with everything and I've been in love since. I've never been a big beer drinker but red oak has changed my ways and had showed me there is more to beer. Not just Miller and Budweiser beers. I'm so half I have found them. :-)

3.7/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Had a pint at the Mellow Mushroom in Durham NC...

A: Poured a dark amber with hints of orange, not much head, settled to a thin layer with good lacing from start to finish.

S: I'm getting a lot of sweet malt, little caramel with a touch of floral hops.

T: OK, caramel right up front, the sweet malt hits mid palette the finish has a herbal hops... very slight. Leans more on the sweet side.

M: Light to medium bodied... I thought it was a little to light. Finish is clean with very little bitterness.

O: Pretty solid Red, not crazy different but strong none the less... Worth looking for when you are in the NC.

4.48/5  rDev +20.1%

This was my favorite beer growing up. It is sweet and smooth. Because it is brewed by the German Purity Laws, it wasn't distributed widely until recently. This is one of those beers that i would say isn't the same unless it is on tap. I know they have bottles, but I have found that the tap is the most consistent of flavors. When this beer is right it is perfect.

Now that I have "grown up" and my tastes have changed, to preferring less sweet beers but without this beer I wouldn't have gone through the journey of craft beer discovery trying to find that flavor that Red Oak provided me.

Red Oak Amber from Red Oak Brewery