Red Oak Amber - Red Oak Brewery

good

Red Oak Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

American Amber / Red Lager |  5.00% ABV

From the brewery: Red Oak Amber is a Munich Urtyp (Old Style) Lager. We begin the brewing process with custom kilned imported Munich Malt. Red Oak is then hopped with Spalt Noble Hops imported from Bavaria, the oldest hop growing region in the world. Before fermentation we add a yeast strain from Weihenstephen, the oldest brewery in the world, founded before 1040 AD. Weeks of aging gives Red Oak the smooth taste it is known for.

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-28-2002)
Reviews by snaotheus:
3.95/5  rDev +7%

Decent amber (or good lager, depending on how you look at things). Light reddish-brown in color with a thick, pale tan head (big thin bubbles, not tiny thick bubbles). Little or no lacing. Smells like an amber, very malty and mild in character with a slight sweetness to it. Easy and pleasant to drink (but maybe that's because it was my first beer in weeks, and I *really* needed a beer). Feels light (almost watery) in the mouth.

Found it on tap at a bar in the airport in Greensboro on my way back from a business trip. I didn't even know North Carolina had a brewery.

3.2/5  rDev -13.3%

Living here in Greensboro have had this many times.It is a hit or miss with this sometimes can be fresh and fruity and chocolatey,and others stale and bitter.I think it is an ok beer when fresh it is an amber but I think has dunkle qualities in the palate,many of the people I have met think the world of it.They have some to learn I believe.

3.33/5  rDev -9.8%

My cousin brought a case of this up from NC

A: Light brown to beige head, copper color, nice and clear

S: Smells very malty and a little hops, slight oak

T: Malty a little oak, almost a little nutty, finishes dry

M: a little heavy, chewy, but very smooth

O: A nice solid amber lager, I like the story of how it sticks to lager natural law, was a nice present getting a case

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

I tried this beer on tap at Mellow Mushroom in Winston-Salem, NC. It is extremely smooth with a strong honey scent/taste. It actually reminded me a lot of Dogfish Head's Midas Touch, in the mouthfeel and aroma. The menu at M.M. described it as a "vienna lager," and since that is said to be the best style of beer to have with a pizza, I had to try it with my pie. On here its classified as a red lager, so I dont know... I really enjoyed this beer, even though it differs very much from the other vienna lagers I have had (Samuel Adams, Negra Modelo).

3.58/5  rDev -3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

A neighbor brought a bottle to me in Ohio from North Carolina and kept it cold per bottle warning. Poured into a mid-20th century hollow-stem beer glass. Carbonation was moderate with with small bubbles and light head. Noticed a slight yeast taste but not bad. Beautiful read-brown, clear color and no sediment in the bottle which I expected based on the description on the bottle. Felt a little tingly at first but mellowed to a smoother feel as it warmed and settled. Overall a good, smooth beer but a tad on the bland side for my taste.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.05/5  rDev -17.3%

16oz. pint enjoyed at the Marriott in Winston-Salem, NC during Sexual Chocolate weekend.

A: Pours a pretty average amber with good clarity. Not much of a head with minimal lacing.

S: Lightly malty aroma with a touch of citrus and herbal notes. Definitely has some metallic aroma.

T/M: Again, light amber malts with some more of the citrus and herbal notes but with a small touch of pine in the back. More of the metallic notes that are pretty distracting but doesn't absolutely destroy the beer. Medium body with a decent smoothness.

D: Easily drinkable but not overly complex. The metallic notes take some away.

3.23/5  rDev -12.5%

No head bud some decent lacing. A warm orange color. Not much of an aroma to speak of but what is there is pleasant, slightly bready. Not much hop character on the flavor and overall a very bready flavor dominates, just like the aroma. That being said, the flavor is mild but still pleasant. It's nice but forgetable. It's extremely popular in NC and I never knew why considering it's fairly expensive in a lot of places. I guess it has a mass-appeal drinkability while still have the appearance of a legit craft beer.

4.13/5  rDev +11.9%

The red oak amber lager is for lack of a better term amber. Think dulled or diluted ruby and crystal clear. Although I love the color the head on this one needs to go back to the drawing board. It fizz and crackles up almost as fast as the tan suds fade.

The nose is a much better situation, with gobs of fresh malts bursting out of the glass. You can smell it as soon as you start to pour. As it warms the nose gives off hints of toasted bread and light caramel sweetness. Very nice.

The taste is like the nose but on steroids. Take all the smells of fresh crushed grain, lightly toasted malts, bread and caramel and double it to get an idea of how the flavor is. This beer is fresh to say the least and should not be wasted by sitting in your fridge or shelf. Bust them out and drink them quick.

Speaking of drinking quick the mouthfeel is conducive to that. Smooth with a hint of creamy and a pop of carbonation. This brew tastes great and goes down as easy as a $5 hooker. Well worth trying and one that I'd buy again and again.

3.13/5  rDev -15.2%

Hey, stopping in Greensboro I was happy to find a local beer.

Appearance is classic American amber/red ... not much head on the icy cold tap. Just a bit of malty aroma.

The finish just plain disappears but I guess that makes it imminently drinkable. A good call over a macro, maybe.

3.75/5  rDev +1.6%

3.28/5  rDev -11.1%

Pours a fairly hazy reddish-copper or, sure, amber color. The head isn't huge and doesn't stick around all that long, but it's fine I guess.

Big bready malt nose, very much German in vibe; I just smell this and I'm back in that country again. It's simple and well put together, but won't make you jump out of your socks with excitement.

Slight candy-like sweetness, even a little bit of cherry tartness, but otherwise it's just a decent lager that goes down easy, doesn't offend in any way, and pretty much provides simple, easy drinking for those who want it that way. I'm in a rare spot where I can't really find much more to say about it, no fine details to report on. It's that simple of a beer.

Way, way too carbonated, even for a beer of this style (and I'm thinking it should be categorized as a German something-or-other lager than anything American). Has an almost soda-like attack, which detracts from the taste.

A bit on the dull side, but you have to appreciate Red Oak's commitment to the Reinheitsgebot. Other local brewers like Foothills and Natty Greene's don't need or want to stick to strict traditions, so these guys are the ones doing it in the Triad. Room for everybody and all that...

2.6/5  rDev -29.5%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

$2 Wednesday afternoon special @ abbey road in cary, nc. a little too sweet but better than most $2 specials that i have had(i'm looking at you bud). the first time i had this beer was at the red oak brew pub in greensboro nc and the beer tasted like turpentine. it took me years and the aforementioned special to try it again but i am glad to report that the chemical taste must have been in the glassware and not the beer. the beer isnt bad but it isnt great either.

On tap at Lynnwood Grill

Arrived a clear amber with no head. Nose is malty, primarily caramel. I actually detect a few of different flavors here; caramel, creamy butterscotch, apples. Not sure I like the creaminess here. Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

Not sold on this one. My brother swears by it. I think I would have liked this one more it wasn't so creamy. I would prefer it to be more crisp and clean. Red Oak is a nice little brewery so I'll revisit and give them their fair due.

2.45/5  rDev -33.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Trying the Red Oak Amber Lager at Taste of Carolina located in teh B concourse of Charlotte airport. The beer poured a copper/amber color with weak head and no lacing. The smell was barley/malt. The taste was very grainy with barley. not much to cheer or rave about. When compared to the OMB Copper this doesn't hold a candle. The mouthfeel is light with big carbontation....hoestly this is like Mic Ultra Amber. Overall, not a good beer when compared to others in this family.

Red Oak Amber from Red Oak Brewery