Battlefield Black - Red Oak Brewery

good

Red Oak Brewery visit their website
North Carolina, United States

Munich Dunkel Lager |  4.70% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 01-07-2003)
Reviews by sgraham4:
4.47/5  rDev +30.7%

I'm not embarassed to say that i get excited when i find myself at an establishment that has battlfield. I love this beer. It's nice a looking dark black beer, that glows a deep amber when held in the light. Its aroma is that of sweet roasted malt with a bit of a milk choclatey scent, ending in a slight smokey taste. Very interesting and wonderful taste. This is the only Munich Dunkel Lager i've had, but it makes me eager to try other beers of this style. great beer.

3.08/5  rDev -9.9%

Can get this beer everywhere here in Greensboro,ABavarian Black style.Looks nice when poured,nice full black color with minimal head,Somtimes when I drink this it gets a little to sweet about halfway down.Real thin body for style in my opinion.Sometimes I get it but not one of my favorites.

3.98/5  rDev +16.4%

Ordered a 16 ounce and they served me a 23 ounce instead. Oh well. Finished this one way to fast -- hence the high score for drinkability. Seemed to me more a porter than Dunkel in appearance but not taste. Served a bit too cold to distinguish all the flavors but great balance of hops and malts. Will order this again some time.

3.75/5  rDev +9.6%

Poured on tap at Solstice Tavern in Charlotte. I've had it before but never thought to review it. Appearance was dead-black. Very thin layer of head that didn't last too long. Smell was subdued, roasty malts. As others have said, this is definitely a schwarzbier. Taste was very roasty, coffee and dark chocolate as expected. Very small hint of smoke, not sure why but I liked it. It wasn't very sweet, which made me happy. Some schwarzbiers are way too sweet and unappealing. Mouthfeel is a bit thin, but that goes along with the style I think. Drinkability was excellent, I quaffed 2 pints without thinking about it.
Recommended schwarz.

3.45/5  rDev +0.9%

Had this on tap at Brixx Pizza here in Greensboro.

A - Small 1/4 inch light tan head. The head hung around for awhile, with some lace. Beer was very dark brown, almost black, and opaque.

S - Roasted grain and coffee. Slight earthiness as well, but aroma was very muted.

T - Heavy on the roasted grains from the nose. More coffee and a faint caramel flavor. Earthy and slightly metallic hops kick in late palate making for a rather bitter finish.

M - Moderate carbonation, medium to light bodied. Very smooth. It was enjoyable to have some of these roasted flavors without the syrupy nature of stouts and porters.

D - A pretty decent session beer aside from the bitterness. Above average brew at best, but hey it's local.

Just another dark beer. Black body with a lackluster head. The flavor is thin with that lager metallic edge. Slight roast a couple of other dark malts but the flavor doesn't really have a lot going on. I didn't know what style it was at the festival but I wrote in my notes that I guessed it was a schwarz. Considering that it's black and not just dark like a Dunkel, I'm guessing I was right after all.

3.9/5  rDev +14%

Arrived from bar in a pint glass.

Poured a dark brown/black with 3 finger creamy head. Nice lacing top to bottom.

Smell was much like coffee and cocoa.

Taste was very nice with hints of chocolate. Nice bitter finish. Aftertaste of coffee.

Mouthfeel is quite thick and nice.

Drinkability is a little above average. Due to it's thickness, I couldn't drink more than a couple.

Overall, a good quality product from Red Oak.

4.18/5  rDev +22.2%

Perhaps I am mistaken but I thought this was a schwarzbier...? In fact I know it is.Therefore I will judge it as such.
Black/ red in color. Sweet roasted malty smell. No head...ever.Very easy to drink.
I have a weak spot for schwarzbiers. I have yet to have a bad one.(& have had several of the top 10 here) .The worst being Sam A`s black lager.The best being Sprecher black b. Battlefield. is the 2nd best I`ve had.I have to tell you for a schwarz` man it is top notch!

2.83/5  rDev -17.3%

I tasted this at the Mellow Mushroom in Chapel Hill, NC.

The color was quite impressive, not cave-black, but on the way there. The head was minimal and was gone after a sip or two.

The first part of the taste it quite strong and somewhat acidic but as you move to the middle and rear of your mouth the beer becomes very thin. Some connecting character is missing and makes for a very loose taste. The aftertaste lasts a medium time and seems an oaty/carmel.

Not a bad beer, easy to drink and beats mass produced beer any day but given the chance I will go for something else next time.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%

Appearance: Arrives at the bar with a coffee brown cloudy body with a little head that leaves only a smidge of lacing

Smell: Brown bread and milk chocolate

Taste: Starts out with a malty flavor along with the brown bread; builds with milk chocolate sweetness but finishes somewhat sour

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation

Drinkability: Flavorful but not particularly satisfying; the sour taste is a turn off

3.05/5  rDev -10.8%

Poured pitch black in color. However, it had a watery texture to the overall appearance. Nose had just some smokey hints but was overall rather non-existent.

It tastes like I was drinking through a coffee filter. All the flavors were subdued and being filtered out I thought. Smokey maltiness was present. Not much in the way of bitterness. Also, pciked up some match sulphur but tasted as if the matches were wet. Medium body. Very easily drinkable but the odd diluted flavors did not make it a greatly enjoyable experience.

3.38/5  rDev -1.2%

A clean dark brown beer with mahogony highlights. Small fizzy tan head that dissapears quickly. Light roasted malt note in the aroma with a hint of vanilla. Has a light mouthfeel. Flavor starts with a roasted malt note with a building bittersweet chocolate character in the background. And a light snap of hops on the finish.
A good session beer.

3.7/5  rDev +8.2%

The beer was served a deep black that showed some ruby highlights when held up to light. There was almost no head and what there was diminished to nothing rather quickly. The aroma was of dark chocolate and some black malts. The taste was of chocolate and black malts and was nice and smooth compared to most stouts and porters. The beer was light on the palate and very easy drinking, likely due to the low alcohol. This would make a decent session beer, but I personally prefer a good stout.

2.3/5  rDev -32.7%

Poured very dark, with little to no head. There was some aroma to this, but it was very weak. What was there had some roastiness and chocolate to it. The taste was pretty weak also. Some chocolate and nuttiness, but very thin in the taste. Moderate body. I wouldn't have guessed this to be a dunkel, my guess would have been a very poor stout.

3.4/5  rDev -0.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This was the first beer I tried at Red Oak. I was fairly impressed with the first taste. I since enjoy one each time I visit. It pours dark with minimal head. The smell lacks somewhat as it doesnt really resemble anything too much or lead on to its flavor. There is a slight sourness to the taste, as I have read on other reviews as well. It must the a Red Oak thing. All in all a fairly good brew.

2.78/5  rDev -18.7%

The head is non-existent and the actual brew looks like cola.

Lots of roast, but nothing else. No hops, no malt, just roast.

The taste is roasty. Someone really likes specialty malts and it shows.

The mouthfeel is very thin. It's drinkable only because it should be labeled as a weak black and tan or...something.

4.08/5  rDev +19.3%

Pours dark with impressive head. Too bad served in plastic cup by Bub's Sports Bar in Chapel Hill, NC. Full, well-balanced taste with a smoky aroma. Smoky smell may have have come from the bar environment too, as many customers smoke on premises. Good dark beer, not too heavy.

2.9/5  rDev -15.2%

Deep brown with a bit of ruby highlights coming through. Small off white head doesn't last long.

Aromas are roasty malts, powdery cocoa, dry wood, and some metallic minerality.

Flavor is sweeter than expected. Roasty malts, a hint of nuts, subtle cocoa, and a drying tartness sum up this beer.

Body is a hair above light with a somewhat chalky mouthfeel. Drinkability is OK, I wouldn't have more than one.

3.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Had on tap at Carver's Creek restaurant in norteast Raleigh.

Waitress brought a deep mahogany brew, quite dark but with edges of ruby red. No head, which I attribute to the pourer moreso than the beer itself. Aroma was fairly faint, with a smoked, roasted maltiness, nuts, and some cocoa powder.

Taste was quite good, it certainly surprised me after all the knocks I've heard against Red Oak. Their Dunkel (schwartzbeir?) was full of roasted nuttiness, a bit of chocolate, and plenty of bittersweet malts. It was close to full-bodied, well carbonated, and finished crisp with a good malty aftertaste. I'd certainly have this again on tap. It was an interesting style to try, and complemented my Prime Rib to near perfection.

3.5/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On draught at Fox & Hound in Winston-Salem, NC. I am assuming this is a Schwarz, although I cannot be sure. It had some qualities of a Porter. According to the brewer when I asked at a visit to the brewpub it is a Dark Lager so I will go with that. The beer is black and a little bubbly with a medium beige head. Slow lacing. The aroma consists of roasted malt and a little chocolate. It has a medium body and was kind of slippery. Flavors of malt, chocolate and a tiny but of hops. The finish is kind of sticky sweet malt. Not bad.

Battlefield Black from Red Oak Brewery