Portsmouth Brewing Peerless Pale Ale - Portsmouth Brewing Co. / Mault's Brewpub

Portsmouth Brewing Peerless Pale AlePortsmouth Brewing Peerless Pale Ale

Portsmouth Brewing Co. / Mault's Brewpub visit their website
Ohio, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: AtLagerHeads on 10-13-2003)
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

This medium amber beer comes top with a fine head that leaves plenty of splotchy lacing. Very good clarity. Adequately hopped, with more pine than earthy/herbal hops. Not my favorite hop profile but certainly a very well crafted beer. Mildly bitter with a slightly higher level at the finish. and, unlike their flagship pilsner, not lacking in hops. Medium body with very good, medium carbonation. Smooth.

O: Very good for style.

chinchill, Aug 02, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -2.4%

Cynic-ale, Aug 04, 2013
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

12 ounce bottle stamped with 12229070130811 on it, I have absolutely no idea what that means. Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy amber color with a half inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are both decent enough. The brew smells like bready malt/wheat, along with some earthy/spicy hops. It tastes similar to the aroma, but with the addition of a bit of dried fruit and some grapefruit. Mouthfeel/body is medium, it's a bit slick and smooth. Not a bad brew at all, bought a single bottle at Weiland's. If I'm ever in the area I'll have to stop in and try this fresh. I'll have to try some of their other brews if I ever come across them.

bluejacket74, Sep 14, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

On draught at the brewpub. Pours a mostly clear amber color with a medium thin light beige head that dissipates slowly. Thin sheets of lacing at the top of the glass with spots underneath. Mildly hoppy aroma with touches of caramel and malt. Medium-bodied and smooth with a lightly bitter hops character. Notes of flowers and toasted malt as well. The finish is short and mildly hoppy. Overall this beer is slightly above average.

Dogbrick, Dec 19, 2007

khargro2, Sep 16, 2014
3.5/5  rDev +5.1%

A nice amber body capped by a decent off-white head that gives nice lace effect. The nose is light but provides a sense of the malt base with a small hint of hops. The taste is of the malt base early on, but the hops begin to kick in as the brew warms a bit, giving a nice light citrus bitterness. Very mild and smooth body. Good drinkability as this is a very smooth Pale.

AtLagerHeads, Oct 13, 2003

mikepcarney, Jul 03, 2013
3.98/5  rDev +19.5%

Following a great round of golf at the nearby Elk's Country Club, Dad and I hit PBC for another round of brews and great food. They had a few new beers on since my last visit (including a ginger beer that looked intriguing) but I started with the pale ale.

Poured a clear dull golden in color with a thin, yet creamy-thick white head. Sparse lacing of the glass. Aromas were soft at first (very cold serving temperature) but there are clearly notes of citrusy hops mixed a subtle malt backbone. Flavor is very true to the style. Hoppy up front with the Cascades, moving into the middle with some balancing, only to end with a citrusy/spicy aftertaste. Not overly bitter. Clean and crisp. Good mouthfeel and very, very drinkable. We shared a pint with the brewer and I think he was surprised that someone asked so many questions about his beers, the brewing process, volume of beer brewed, and distribution (I did find out that he kegs his beers and sells them to places as far away as Chillicothe).

Probably my favorite PBC beer behind the oatmeal stout.

OldFrothingSlosh, Oct 23, 2004
3.21/5  rDev -3.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

My brother went to Cincy and all I got was a 6 pack. Kidding. Thanks to him for picking up some brews from small brewers in the south of our state.

The bottle does not reveal a date or an ABV.

I poured a big two fingers of beige colored head over a burnt looking body with orange notes. Rays of light come through this nicely, and it retains head well.

Initial smells are light caramelized malt, fruit and flowers with a little sugar. Hunting a bit reveals gardeny notes with a little citrus.

The taste opens up gardeny with grapefruit. The malt is like crusty bread/wheat, but as noted by a previous user, this beer seems to have a strong English note for something billed as APA. Even as it warms and the hops become stronger, it still seems English.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied. It does not coat the mouth but it does leave it quite dry.

CFHMagnet, Jul 12, 2013
3.78/5  rDev +13.5%

Bored out of my mind, I drove the 30 mile past Leo's Carry Out - my original destination - to try PBC. Nothing there impressed me but I decided to grab a growler of the one beer I didn't try to take home, on spec. What the hell, right? It's only money after all, and the growler did look kinda neat. The Real American Pale was what I ended up with.

Not bad.

Clean, crisp pale amber with decent fluffy lacing head. Piney hop aroma but some slight stateness taking it down a bit. Cascade pale ale flavor: nothing to write home about but solid. Fair malt in background. Nice mouthfeel and surprisingly drinkable.

Look, Portsmouth Brewing Company is not a place to go out of your way for. But if you happen to find yourself in Southern Ohio with nothing to do, you could do much worse than grabbing a pitcher of this.

rabsten, Sep 07, 2009
3.43/5  rDev +3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Who knew that there was a brewery within 20 minutes of my hometown, and only an hour from my current location. I picked up a six pack of this while back in my hometown for the weekend. 12 oz. bottle poured into a nonic.

Peerless Pale Ale, named after an old nickname for Portsmouth, OH ("Peerless City") pours out a nice amber color and is topped by a frothy head of one-finger that sticks around and leaves nice lacing down the glass. There's some active carbonation from the bottom of the glass, and the head has some staying power to it. A pretty nice looking pale ale.

I'm kinda stuck on the aroma for this one, however. The package claims that the brewers used Cascade and Perle hops for a classic APA profile, but I'm picking up a lot of fruity esters from the yeast - not a bad thing, just not what I'm used to in this style. As the beer warms, I do pick up the grapefruit and citrus expected for the style, as well as some floral notes. The malt profile is toasty/biscuity and provides some balance to the overwhelming fruitiness of this beer. While it does smell nice, it's definitely not what I expect out of an American pale ale - it reminds me more of an English-style pale or a bitter.

Peerless opens up with a one-two punch of earthy herbal flavors and citrus bitterness in the form of grapefruit. A bready malt profile balances the bitterness before drying out with tons of fruity esters from the yeast on the finish. Fairly balanced and enjoyable, but the wording on the package leads me to believe that I would be drinking a modern-style APA. This is more traditional and "old school" for the style - again, as I said, I'm reminded of an English pale ale rather than the American version. For what it is, though, it's enjoyable. I only wish the yeast flavors weren't as prevalent in the final product.

PPA has a medium body with a balanced carbonation and dry, fruity finish with a tad of lingering bitterness. Some of the pine and citrus from the taste hangs out slightly.

Not a bad beer, and for an area that is a virtual desert as far as good beer availability, PBC might just be the beacon in the night. The taste is pretty heavy on the yeast esters and a little too bready to make me think that it's "really" an American Pale Ale, but even so, this is a solid beer.

Groomsy, Apr 03, 2013

jlarimore4, Nov 09, 2014
2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Kahmal, Jan 21, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -17.4%

Of the two beers I tasted prior to ordering, the other being the Maple Nut Brown (very unimpressive), the American Pale Ale is usually my back-up style for any poor selection of beer. Unbalanced, bitter hoppiness, and a thick but strangely smooth head was the first impression of this Pint.

I must say though that once my mouth had a chance to adjust to the intensity of the hops, the beer began to balance out. Was it the temperature rising a bit, or my taste buds? We'll never know.

Hey, I got through the 1st pint and took a stab at the Pilsner in lieu of another Pale. It worked out in the end, as the Pils was quite tasty.

lindenboy, Apr 07, 2006
3.75/5  rDev +12.6%

bakerca, Apr 18, 2014
Portsmouth Brewing Peerless Pale Ale from Portsmouth Brewing Co. / Mault's Brewpub