Back East Ale - Back East Brewing Company

good

Back East Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

Our Flagship offering, Back East Ale is a medium-bodied amber ale. This amber-colored beer features a subtle fruity aroma with hints of vanilla and peach. It has a smooth malt character that is nicely balanced with just a slight hop bitterness and a clean, crisp finish. Once you taste this favorite, we're sure you'll be reaching for another "Back East"!

(Beer added by: Gambrinus1184 on 08-01-2012)
4.25/5  rDev +20.7%

Poured from growler into oversize mug. Dark amber color. White head fades to 1/4 inch foam.

Smells of caramel, toffee, roasted malts, & a hint of raisin blended with rich grains.

Taste is malty and rich. Mouth filling, but not heavy. Clean. Some mild sweetness, and gentle hops to dry things out. Easy drinking, and I imagine this is great for all seasons, but especially Autumn.

Impressive.

I started the growler, then finished it the next day. It seemed mellower the next day, and was more enjoyable. I wonder what the ABV is? Can't be too strong though, because it doesn't kill me.

nebula1999, Aug 11, 2012

Conor, Jan 13, 2013

wtighe03, Apr 06, 2014

arnulfooxblood, Feb 22, 2014

Found in the coolers at Southington Wine & Spirits in Southington, CT this new offering shows a musty copper-brown color with a muscular thick and creamy looking tan head. Plenty of lacing follows. The nose picks up a nice somewhat skunky yeast and malt medley. Leafy but an earthy malt can’t be denied. The flavor offers more skunky malt, cabbage and root beer stuff, woodsy and bits of brown bread. Definitely a little different and I’m liking it. It’s medium bodied with a fairly crispy yet sort of resinous feel. Carbonation is tiny but effective stuff. This can be summarized as a substantially flavored ale with skunky malt appeal for those with such tastes. I enthusiastically approve. For those who, like me, are already fans of the Connecticut favorite Ten Penny Ale from Olde Burnside Brewing, I think Back East might have just one upped them here. Similar but possibly better (both are always welcome in my house!).

Durge, Sep 14, 2012

rorjets, Sep 10, 2014

datalager, Aug 01, 2014

sailorastro, Aug 13, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +11.6%

Poured from a growler purchased from the brewery. Copper in color with the perfect amount of head. A really balanced aroma of malt and hops making you wonder what type of amber ake this will turn out to be. The taste is perfectly balanced, a little aon the malty side with a nutty aftertaste. Excellent addition to a sessionable CT beer. I will definetly be drinking a bunch of this for the coming fall.

ericlawton007, Aug 23, 2012
3.8/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

I had this on tap at P-Sams in Torrington CT. I had seen Back East beers in the stores and had spoken to people about so I gave it a try. I started with a sample of this and a toasted Lager. Both were good but I went for the Ale. Served in a pint glass.

A - Copper color

S - I don't remember the exact characteristics, but it was pleasant.

T - I thought it had a nice full body taste to it, but not overpowering. It was a good red ale.

M - Some substance was there.

O - I was surprised to see it is only 5% ABV. I would have guessed closer to 6%. It had some substance to the beer, but it went down easy. I could have had more than2 with no problem. I left the restaurant thinking I may have to invest in a six of this.

TtheGrey, Jul 28, 2013