Octoberfest - Back East Brewing Company

Connecticut, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  4.90% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: GeckoPunk on 10-20-2012

Back East Octoberfest is our interpretation of the classic German autumn beer. Brewed with imported Munich malts and noble German hops, this traditionally brewed beer has a hearty malt character perfect for cooler weather.
to view more.
Ratings: 10 | Reviews: 2
Reviews by ChrisChagnon:
4.1/5  rDev +7.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Not your typical Ofest. Very subdued aroma and flavor. Thin head. Rather dark in color too.
But really, none of that matters because this beer is smooooth. I really like the softness on the tongue. Creamy too. Rome graininess comes through, and even some slight roastiness. Slightly dry finish, but subtle is the key word for this beer.

I could drink this all night, and in fact I did. Highly sessionable brew, which is appreciated for something I can't put down.

3.56/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Beautiful copper-amber with a finger of slightly off-white head that quickly dissipated. (Wish I poured a little more vigorously to see more of it and find out if it would leave better lacing)

S - Slightly above average as I was expecting a better nose to this beer. Soft and bready. The usual Oktoberfest suspects are there – bread/cereal grains, malt and yeast but they are not easily picked up on. While this smells sweet and grainy, everything seems a bit too subdued.

T - Tidbit of caramel sweetness and your typical Marzen/Octoberfest maltiness. Minute back-end hop bite to it, but nothing too pronounced.

M - Good amount of carbonation. Small bubbles emitting from the glass at a rate of about 3 bubbles per second from each originating point. Leaves a semi-sticky touch to the lip of the glass, although the beer itself feels a little watery. Mouth swishing it feels a little flat.

O - In my opinion, it's not an exceptional beer by any means; nor is it just "average"... I must say that it is just barely a touch above what I would consider average. The smell and taste weren't what I was looking for in this beer. The appearance was above all else from this beer. I will continue purchasing BackEast's IPA any day over their Octoberfest.

to view more.