Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout) - BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout)Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout)

good

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes) visit their website
Switzerland

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.28% ABV

(Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 01-22-2008)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters

rdooley

11-17-2013 05:39:00 | More by rdooley
jminsc76

2.05/5  rDev -43.2%

Into a tulip, pours a brownish head atop a dark red body. This is a stout? Not impenetrable like the typical Double Stout.

Aromas seem complex at first, yet nothing distinctly stands out after awhile. Intensity is low and all I am really getting is sweetness from the tea.

Flavors are tangy (!), which alerts me I am potentially drinking an infected bottle. Apparently I am not alone in this assessment from seeing the reviews on both this site and an other. Reminds me of what happened to a bottle of Speedway Stout where I tasted lemons in a beer typically rife with molasses, chocolate, and coffee. So, my assessment may have to wait until I find out what's going on here.

Thin and insubstantial mouthfeel, almost watery.

Overall, people are talking about this as a Swiss interpretation of the Double Stout style? If this bottle is legit (i.e., non-infected), the brewers can keep their interpretation. Seriously, I tasted a slight quantity of tea and pepper, initially some roast, but ultimately it petered out to nothing. Just a thin, watery, dark brown BLEH of bleh bleh-bleh bleh bleh bleh.

Certain people shall hear from me about this, and as I have no vested interest in hating the Swiss (the same brewery's Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien is an excellent Bière de Garde), I will give it another try.

01-23-2011 21:55:20 | More by jminsc76
Bendurgin

Maine

2.13/5  rDev -41%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I had this one a few years back. I remember being really indifferent about it. I remember knowing it was a stout but seemed to have very few stout charactertistics. So we'll see if several years will have changed my opinion on it. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a dark cola brown and sits with about a finger of tan head on top. It settles down to a thin layer of foam with sticky lace.

The bottle says it's brewed with black pepper, vanilla beans and vanilla. That being said I definatly get vanilla in this. And lots of it. It's got a little bit of an zesty orange aroma to it, which is something that seems a bit off. I immagine it's coming from the tea. This has a little bit of a fudgey aroma but I'd say this can't seem to get a focus together on the aroma.

Kind of a bitter flavor on this. It's really lacking the roasty flavor that I would expect from an imperial stout. It seems a bit fruity too. Again I would immagine it's from the tea.

This body on this is kind of light. Especially for the style. Fair enough carbonation.

When beers add stuff like pepper and tea I really wonder what they add. I wonder if the beer would be good without those bells and whistles. This is an example of one that I think would be if it was more straight forward. Maybe a vanilla stout. I've had worse beers but when it comes down to it, I'll be pouring this down the drain.

04-27-2011 15:34:19 | More by Bendurgin
ibbjamin

2.17/5  rDev -39.9%

Paid $9.99 for an 11.2 oz bottle from City Beer Store in San Francisco, CA. Poured into a snifter.

As written on the bottle:
Ingredients: water, barley malts, hops, cane sugar, yeast, Sarawak pepper, Russian tea, Boubon vanilla.
This Cuvée was created in the honor of the Jurassian revolutionist Alex Le Rogue. Enjoy this wonderful Cuvée at about 10°-12° Celcius (50°-53°F), with a crunch of bitter Chocolate or a Cigar. Cuvée Alex Le Rogue can be sequestrated for a few years in a cellar.

A very small head after an very aggressive pour of this thick brew. Black as night. Lacing coats thick, but falls quickly.

Smell is somewhat lacking in strength, especially for a Stout variation. Malts foremost, but hints of dark chocolate and alcohol.

Tastes a bit funky. The malts are masked by the complexity of other flavors; leafy hops, some yeast, chery sourness similar to a Flemish Sour and a variety of other flavors I can't really put my finger on. A lot going on, but nothing is triggering the pleasure centers.

Full bodied. Thick and creamy. Smooth finish. Mild carbonation.

If you are looking to try something different, this may be your ticket, but I guess I'm not too big of a fan. The hefty price tag on this one makes the decision even easier for me in the future.

06-28-2008 02:46:41 | More by ibbjamin
cyrushire

2.25/5  rDev -37.7%

05-15-2013 04:55:41 | More by cyrushire
dedrinker

Kansas

2.3/5  rDev -36.3%

Nearly black in color, and rusty red algae around the edges when held to the light. No head. Aroma of vinegar/ cherries - sour/ acidic. Flavor was a Flemish Brown type of deal with faint roast dominated by wet leaves in a rain gutter followed by oxidative notes. Not my thing. Light body and sour finish. Gross. Hard to tell if it was spoiled when there is only one other review so far.

02-26-2008 21:36:02 | More by dedrinker
woodychandler

2.35/5  rDev -34.9%

I purchased this not all that long ago at Hunger-n-Thirst while Mughugger was working in the bottle shop. I really had no immediate plans to drink it, but this afternoon has become "Russia at Chez Wody" and I am not only not apologizing for it, but I am advancing in the face of the enemy!

From the bottle: "Batch 2013"; "Jurassian Imperial Stout brewed with Black Pepper, Vanilla & Tea"; "Extremely Complex"; "This Cuvee was created in the honor of the Jurassian revolutionist Alex Le Rouge. Enjoy this wonderful Cuvee at about 10-12 Celcius (50-53 F), with a crunch of bitter chocolate or a Cigar. Cuvee Alex Le Rouge can be sequestrated for a few years in a cellar."

No cigars for this asthmatic and since I don't really dig chocolate, I am flying solo on this mission. Man, the bottle top with its rubber gasket really popped open with aloud "Pop!" I sat back, awaiting a gusher or some other sort of malfeasance, yet nothing. Hmmm. Looking into the open neck felt like staring into the barrel of a loaded revolver. I was nervous, but unwavering. I gave it a gentle pour and still came up with a finger of deep-tan head with limited retention. Nose smelled more like a Saison than an RIS! The black pepper was huge as was an earthy mustiness, perhaps from the the tea, perhaps from the yeast, maybe from both. Color was a cola-brown (SRM = > 27, < 34) and garnet highlights. This is a Russian?!? I laugh in the face of Yuri Dimitrov if that is the case! Russian Tea Room? Ha! Mouthfeel was medium and danced across my tongue, unlike today's predecessors, who marched along in their hobnailed boots, unwavering in their single mindedness. This was like drinking strong black tea with gunpowder, which I have done, but it does not strike fear into my heart. Warming, I was getting a fusel alcohol burn, and a light chocolatiness, but where was the Oooomph!?! No wonder that they wanted me to have dark chocolate and/or a cigar - it/they might have hidden the fact that this Czar wore no clothes. Finish was that of an RIS on "Mute". If I were to sequester one, it would be under Abu Grahib conditions, away from prying eyes where I could torture it endlessly until it became something worthy of my time.

07-23-2014 22:58:01 | More by woodychandler
mendvicdog

Maryland

10-21-2013 13:19:38 | More by mendvicdog
brystmar

2.5/5  rDev -30.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.5

Notched date is Jan 2014.

Huge POP from the swingtop cap as bubbles spew forth from this gusher. Dark brown body, TONS of off-white head.

Smells like an Oude Bruin, wtf? Intense, soured brown ale yeast. Weird, not good.

Taste is along the same lines: mild sourness, minimally roasted, spices galore. So strange, not particularly good. I'd never guess this was a stout base, and I wouldn't buy this myself.

09-15-2012 01:27:50 | More by brystmar

qchic

Maryland

2.53/5  rDev -29.9%
look: 3 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Oh boy, this is not what I was looking for in a beer for the evening. I'll admit that the list of ingredients on the bottle (black pepper, vanilla, and tea) intriegued me at the shop, and I was hoping for a unique experience with this one. Unfortunately, this "imperial stout" is laughably thin and so acidic with tannins from the tea. Tastes more like wine than beer.

When poured aggressively, a creamy tan head forms and then settles to a fine layer atop the opaque black beer. Smells fruity (grapes) with some chocolate, vanilla, and wood. Tastes fruity with some red fruits sneaking in. Perhaps the acidity is masking the 10%+ ABV. My guilty pleasure for this beer is the black tea finish. I just continue to wonder where the big malts are.

It hasn't been too difficult getting through this beer as I try to figure out what is going on. It got a little better as it warmed, but I will not be revisiting this one again. Especially not at 9 bucks/11.2 oz bottle. I think I'll drink something straight forward now to alleviate my confusion.

08-05-2008 00:51:44 | More by qchic
rapidsequence

2.58/5  rDev -28.5%

This is an 11.2 oz swing top bottle. Batch 2009. It was $8.49 from Beer Run.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, lake water brown color with almost no head. Maybe one or two spots of lacing. Pretty pitiful appearance for an imperial stout.

Smell: Very strange. Its primarily a sweet, slightly chocolatey smell and lots of spicy tea. Swirling seems to bring out the black pepper a bit. There's a little bourbon, and also a little leather and tobacco. Very little roast. It gets points for trying, not really for succeeding.

Taste: Just weird. Lots of flavors, but weird. Almost completely devoid of any roasted malt flavors. Slight chocolate and coffee. The black pepper is quite pronounced. Tea flavor is also pretty pronounced. The label says "extremely complex." That doesn't necessarily mean good.

Mouthfeel: Its just thin and dull. Undercarbonated too.

Overall: Not bad or off putting, but a cluttered mess that in almost no way resembles an imperial stout. Can't taste the 10% abv though.

09-08-2011 00:26:52 | More by rapidsequence
tavernjef

2.6/5  rDev -28%

Very black in the glass and capped with a medium firm khaki colored foam. Keeps a good skim always present and laces out in big spots and globs.

Aroma is mild at best of a slight tangy fig and a bit of pepper and metalic tannins.

Taste is a super quick tang of mostly cherry, with touches of berry, raisin, and fig. Semi soured with cream on the side. Slight metalic notes and pepper are off the back end within its semi warming finish. Hardly anything to it really. Very basic and unimpressionable.

Feel is a quick off tang of soured darkish fruity stuff and sits pretty light in the overall body for what all other Impy/Dbl. stouts are. Where's the creamyness, where's the stoutyness. There's no length other then its quick hit of tang and that is it. Again, quite subpar, seemingly basic, with an offness about it thats hard to place but easy to discern as off and bordeline upsetting to have wasted a clean glass with pouring this stuff into one.

Quite possibly the worst stout I've had and one of the worst beers I've had in a long time. Avoid unless you like wierd sour/off stouts.

03-16-2009 22:29:58 | More by tavernjef
mrmiles

2.65/5  rDev -26.6%

Saw this in the store today and am intrigued. Label says it's a Jurassian Imperial Stout with Black Pepper, Bourbon Vanilla and Tea. Batch 2009. Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet.

A: Pour is a dark amber brown. Not at all what I would have expected in an imperial stout. No real head. Some foam at the edges.

S: Alcohol hits hard during the pour along with some strong vanilla. A swirl and sniff reveals more of the same. The strong odor of alcohol combined with the vanilla really make this smell like a glass of bourbon. A hint of malt is about the only thing that sets this apart as a beer. Some sour/funk notes present as well.

T: While the alcohol is not nearly as overpowering in the taste as it is in the smell, this beer would still definitely benefit from some aging. Just too hot. It does not taste much like a stout. It reminds me more of a brown ale with a very high abv. The tea adds some uniqueness providing some funk and the black pepper is very faint.

M: Definitely has that pepper tickle at the back of the throat, something I'm not the biggest fan of, but expected in any beer with peppers. Very watery for a stout. Not the usual heavyness. Almost uncarbonated.

D: Still way too hot. Even once mellowed I doubt I'd drink more than one. Way too much going on with it. Not very well integrated.

Overall, I like what they tried here. I really feel like it's more of a brown ale than an Imp Stout, but that's just splitting hairs. I will definitely pick up another and see how it ages as it has a lot of potential to mellow quite nicely. I actually like the use of tea. Not such a big fan of the pepper.

12-28-2010 05:38:45 | More by mrmiles
kojevergas

2.7/5  rDev -25.2%

Brown glass swingtop bottle poured into Weihenstephan weissbier glass in Antwerp, Belgium. Reviewed live. Bottle label identifies the ABV as 10.276%, not 2.8% (give them a break; they're swiss).

A: Beautiful tan colour creamy thick head of seven fingers (keep in mind this is a weissiber glass) and brilliant retention. Solid black colour.

Sm: Sour lambic-esque esters. That's it. Not what I expected for the style, but it's more interesting than problematic. A moderate strength scent.

T: Sour ester hops alongside slight nut hops and a full barley body. Fairly complex but a bit off. Poorly balanced and built for the style. I detect absolutely no black pepper whatsoever. Vanilla may be present, but if so it's buried.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Complementary of the flavours of the body.

Dr: Not what's expected for the style, and not a good beer. Worth a go for lambic fans maybe, but don't expect it to be the type of imperial stout an imperial stout fan would enjoy. Overpriced as well. In fairness, it does cover its high ABV well.

06-25-2011 17:23:20 | More by kojevergas
beachbum1975

2.78/5  rDev -23%

I found this one at Bruisin' Ales in Ashville, NC yesterday. I really need a hand-fill growler, so I figured I'd put this one to the test. Great 11.2 ounce bottle with no freshness date. I had no idea Switzerland brewed a RIS, so here we go!

Pours an attractive clear, dark root beer/mahogany brown. After an agressice pour, I get a ¾ inch creamy dark tan head. Minimal spotty lacing seen up the sides of my over-sized tulip...

Nose is surprisingly limited. Some lightly sweet malts, cherry tartness and grassy hops are all I really get.

Medium bodied and medium to full flavored RIS. Very wet mouthfeel with a sour tang, (versus a bitter and hoppy one). Beyond the wetness (which is big), I get a subtle sour again mixed with sweet malts. I'm disappointed because I am not tasting the vanilla, tea or black pepper like the label suggests. It's frankly a weird beer overall. Glad I only got one. Unique, but not my cup of tea.

02-09-2009 20:16:29 | More by beachbum1975
srandycarter

2.78/5  rDev -23%

A - Pours mocha brown, still can see through it, not much head. Not much lace.

S - Faint bitter cocoa, some sweet malt. Not much in general.

T - Thin, a bit astringent. Medicinal at end. Not going very well so far.

M - Light body, low carb, not very good balance.

D - At 10 bucks for a 12 oz beer, this on kinda is on the sucky side.

11-27-2011 06:27:38 | More by srandycarter
dar482

2.88/5  rDev -20.2%

The beer pours in an almost black color with no head.

The aroma is a bit boring of some leather, some roasty notes, and a strange off chocolate. A bit of spice. Not much sweetness in there.

The flavor follows again with a lack of roasted malt, some coffee and chocolate. There's certainly some muted vanilla with a tea dryness on the end.

The body is super watery for this big of a beer and it lacked any carbonation.

A really disappointing beer and really pushes how an imperial stout can be done so very wrong.

09-23-2013 05:14:07 | More by dar482
Buebie

2.95/5  rDev -18.3%

Poured from my 11.2 oz bottle with swing-top cap. Very attractive looking bottle, with a, interesting lable.
Ingredients clearly printed in detail. No freshness date on the bottle.

Poured a jet black with no transpareny or glow around the edges. Into an oversized merlot glass.
Head was big and fluffy. Creamy brown in color, very nice retention that really hangs around for the life of the beer.

Smell is rich and malty with a molasses/ black licorice quality. A spiced fumieness with a hint of alcahol at the knose.

Taste is very odd, but original. I cant say I've ever tasted anything like this ever.
Starts out simple and smooth with a slight touch from the carbonation. Thin mouthfeel, with a thickness that gradually steps into play.
Sweetness through the middle then at the swallow, this foreign bittering flavor comes in. I cant say I recognise it or can compare it to anything really.
Some dark tea like flavors, a grape like wine quality to the taste, in a white wine chardonay kind of way.

No alcahol warming, this is one strange Brew!

Cant say I love it. Cant say I dislike it either.

I'm left wondering what this is. Its not beer, or is it? hmmmm

07-19-2008 20:06:49 | More by Buebie
dsa7783

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

11.2 oz swing-top bottle purchased from Buy Rite on Oak Tree in South Plainfield...
Very unimpressive pour - the result was a dark-black, purple-colored hue with hardly any head at all and very minimal lacing...
Juniper-berry aroma noticeable along with hints of cocoa powder, thick roasted malts, and slight caramel tinged by a touch of vanilla...
Poor, average at best, watery taste consisting of the aforementioned nuances depicted in the aroma...
Watery mouthfeel without too much going on in this department...
For the five or six bucks I paid for this one, can't say I would really recommend it...

03-24-2008 01:35:45 | More by dsa7783
BucBasil

South Carolina

2.98/5  rDev -17.5%

This is labeled as an Imperial Stout brewed with black pepper, vanilla, and tea.

Appearance: Poured from the 11.2oz swingcap bottle into a snifter. The beer is a pure black color, even when held to light, and is topped with a quickly dissipating 1 finger thick tan head.

Smell: Vanilla is immediately evident, as is a woody character. Bittersweet chocolate is evident, as is a tobacco richness underneath that may be coming from the tea added. Finally some hops show up for a fleeting moment, and spiced fruit finishes things out. This is one seriously complex aroma...

Taste: Surprisingly the tea flavor jumps out first, and it is very sweet, somewhat fruity, and not an altogether pleasant introduction to the tastebuds. Very shocking first taste, but once you get used to it, things seem to get better. Fruity flavors become more and more pronounced, revealing raspberry and sweet cherry flavors and the beer progresses along the tongue. The huge, almost overbearing sweetness carries through the finish, leaving a slightly milk chocolatey flavor in the mouth. No hops to be found in this sugary bomb.

Mouthfeel: A bit thin, but the right amount of carbonation and a smooth finish.

My final thoughts were, "What the hell did I just drink?" This was a great workout for the nose and tastebuds, but unfortunately, the whole thing just didn't come together very well. Maybe with some age, it might work, but I doubt it. I don't think I'll be picking this one up again.

07-12-2008 03:42:04 | More by BucBasil
ygtbsm94

11-26-2013 04:30:58 | More by ygtbsm94
Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout) from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)