Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout) - BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout)Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout)

good

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes) visit their website
Switzerland

American Double / Imperial Stout |  10.28% ABV

Beer added by: Phyl21ca on 01-22-2008

4.2/5  rDev +16%

Beer bottle (33 cl., batch 2010), purchased from Clem (Nantes) and tasted in 2011. (Review #1100).

Appearance : dark red color, with tan foamy head.
Smell : roasted malt, spicy and peppery aromas.
Taste and mouthfeel : roasted malt flavours, caramel and chocolate, with vinous note in finish (rather acidic).
Drinkability : a very good beer in the style Imperial Stout . Drink at cellar temperature :-). Made with cane sugar, sarawak peper, russian tea and Bourbon vanilla (La Réunion).

Note from Clément : it's possible to find differences in taste according to the vinous brews or chocolate.

2.59/5  rDev -28.5%

This is an 11.2 oz swing top bottle. Batch 2009. It was $8.49 from Beer Run.

Appearance: Pours a cloudy, lake water brown color with almost no head. Maybe one or two spots of lacing. Pretty pitiful appearance for an imperial stout.

Smell: Very strange. Its primarily a sweet, slightly chocolatey smell and lots of spicy tea. Swirling seems to bring out the black pepper a bit. There's a little bourbon, and also a little leather and tobacco. Very little roast. It gets points for trying, not really for succeeding.

Taste: Just weird. Lots of flavors, but weird. Almost completely devoid of any roasted malt flavors. Slight chocolate and coffee. The black pepper is quite pronounced. Tea flavor is also pretty pronounced. The label says "extremely complex." That doesn't necessarily mean good.

Mouthfeel: Its just thin and dull. Undercarbonated too.

Overall: Not bad or off putting, but a cluttered mess that in almost no way resembles an imperial stout. Can't taste the 10% abv though.

3.64/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2009 vintage.

My first beer from Switzerland.

Pours a murky dark brown with a 1 inch light tan head that settles to a film on the top of the beer. Light penetrates at the bottom of the glass but not on the top near the head. Wavy lines of lacing stick to the glass on the drink down. Visible chunks of sediment are visible in the beer. Smell is of dark fruits, spiced chai tea, and some sour/funky aromas. Taste is of sour dark fruits, dark roasted malt, and some vanilla/tea flavors on the finish. These tea flavors create a mild bitterness on the palate after each sip. A pretty good carbonation level with small, crisp bubbles on the tongue and in the throat. Overall, this is a pretty good beer that is somewhat different than other imperial stouts I have had before.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Wanted to give this one a shot, The description on the label sounded like it would be pretty impressive. I poured the bottle out and it was a nice deep brown color with a decent looking head on it. The lacing was light and didn't really stick too well. The had some roasted malt aromas mixed with a nice dose of herbal aromas too. The taste of the beer wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. I found it to be a little off balance and just kind of confusing. The mouthfeel had a decent thickness to it with a light carbonation. Overall I was a little bummed by this beer. I was expecting a lot more and nothing really came out of this one for me. It's drinkable but not really memorable.

2.69/5  rDev -25.7%

Brown glass swingtop bottle poured into Weihenstephan weissbier glass in Antwerp, Belgium. Reviewed live. Bottle label identifies the ABV as 10.276%, not 2.8% (give them a break; they're swiss).

A: Beautiful tan colour creamy thick head of seven fingers (keep in mind this is a weissiber glass) and brilliant retention. Solid black colour.

Sm: Sour lambic-esque esters. That's it. Not what I expected for the style, but it's more interesting than problematic. A moderate strength scent.

T: Sour ester hops alongside slight nut hops and a full barley body. Fairly complex but a bit off. Poorly balanced and built for the style. I detect absolutely no black pepper whatsoever. Vanilla may be present, but if so it's buried.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Complementary of the flavours of the body.

Dr: Not what's expected for the style, and not a good beer. Worth a go for lambic fans maybe, but don't expect it to be the type of imperial stout an imperial stout fan would enjoy. Overpriced as well. In fairness, it does cover its high ABV well.

3.5/5  rDev -3.3%

Thanks to smoked for sharing.

Poured into a snifter, this brew appears a dark brown color, cloudy in appearance when held to the light. A tan cap forms and fades fairly quickly to a thin layering across the top. Some spotty lace sticks to the glass when swirled which also revives the head just slightly.

The smell of this brew is pungent with a scent of tea. There is fruity alcohol esters present along with the spice of black pepper and lemon. Very tangy brew with a completely unique nose. As it warms, more fruity scents evolve like apple with some lactic character.

The taste is mildly peppery with a tangy inclusion of alcohol coupled with a flavor of tea. Quite an unusual experience of flavors that is interesting. It is lightly lactic across the back with tangy fruity flavors. The peppery quality mixed with the seemingly tartness of this brew makes the finish crisp and unusual for a imperial stout.

This is a medium bodied brew with modest to light level of carbonation. Quite an unusual and interesting mix of ingredients and flavors here. Quite tangy for the style with a light wild aspect to it. It is worth a try but not something I could see mused drinking more than a glass of.

3.75/5  rDev +3.6%

Decently lively pour yields a thin , fine tan head that recedes quickly into some lacing. Dark brown translucent body.

Some oak on the nose, and maybe a trace of peat. No trace that I can perceive of the pepper, vanilla, or tea (though I'm congested), so we'll see.

Definitely black pepper on the taste, right up at the front. This was served warmish, close to room temperature; should've been colder (tried it cooler, and some of the bitterness disappears). There's a bit of tannic bitterness (thanks to the tea), but the tea lends little other taste. I'm not getting the vanilla either, though there's a trace of oak... a bit vegetal.

Mouthfeel is standard, pretty par for the course, but nice.

This is an interesting one; Flemish sour plus some extra fun stuff thrown in. It wants to be refrigerated, and I could see this as versatile for food pairings; salad, pretty much any kind of cheese, even meat or fish. The label says dark chocolate, and it would probably go well with that too.

2.16/5  rDev -40.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 1.5

I had this one a few years back. I remember being really indifferent about it. I remember knowing it was a stout but seemed to have very few stout charactertistics. So we'll see if several years will have changed my opinion on it. Poured into a tulip. This one pours a dark cola brown and sits with about a finger of tan head on top. It settles down to a thin layer of foam with sticky lace.

The bottle says it's brewed with black pepper, vanilla beans and vanilla. That being said I definatly get vanilla in this. And lots of it. It's got a little bit of an zesty orange aroma to it, which is something that seems a bit off. I immagine it's coming from the tea. This has a little bit of a fudgey aroma but I'd say this can't seem to get a focus together on the aroma.

Kind of a bitter flavor on this. It's really lacking the roasty flavor that I would expect from an imperial stout. It seems a bit fruity too. Again I would immagine it's from the tea.

This body on this is kind of light. Especially for the style. Fair enough carbonation.

When beers add stuff like pepper and tea I really wonder what they add. I wonder if the beer would be good without those bells and whistles. This is an example of one that I think would be if it was more straight forward. Maybe a vanilla stout. I've had worse beers but when it comes down to it, I'll be pouring this down the drain.

3.92/5  rDev +8.3%

2008 vintage. This was a random grab from the back in the cooler. My name is Al so I had no problem with opening a beer with the name Cuvee Alex Le Rouge. It poured a little light for the style, a dark brown with a light beige head. The aromas were very surprising. The label said it contained tea, pepper, and vanilla beans yet the nose was almost all citrus fruits. It was heavy on the oranges and grapefruits before becoming a very leafy tea. The flavors were an interesting blend of bitter chocolate, funk, grass, major tea leaves, and a nice black pepper finish. It was really interesting how the pepper took a back seat until the aftertaste too. It drank a little light for the style, but pretty smooth overall. I thought this beer was interesting and that's what I was aiming for so I'll mark this random selection as a success.

3.85/5  rDev +6.4%

On cask at the BBT in Palm Bay. Pours a dark brown/black with a thin tan head that leaves little to no lacing.

Nose is dark fruit with some sour cherry and alcohol

Taste is dark fruits, sour cherry, vanilla some pepper and alcohol.

Not a lot of carbonation, with a very light mouthfeel for a stout. Alcohol, while present is pretty well hidden for 10.3%

A very good beer, not what you are expecting from an Imp Stout, though.

3.21/5  rDev -11.3%

11.2 oz swing top into a Duvel tulip. Batch 2009, "Extremely Complex."

A: An aggressive pour yields a fine, tan head that settles relatively quickly into a collar with a few islands of bubbles remaining. The body is hazy--I like the yeast--but pretty clearly a deep, dark red-brown, rather than the expected pitch black. Pretty, but more in line with a dubbel or quad.

S: An excellent nose--bourbon and vanilla are definitely prominent. I'm not sure if I'm imagining some of the pepper the bottle indicates they used, but there's something slightly zippy going on. A hint of floral note might be the tea.

T: It actually tastes more stout-like than it looks, but not by much. There is a distinct coffee note, and the tart, tangy notes remind me of a great cup of fresh Intelligentsia or somesuch coffee, if a little stronger than that. There is a slight tingle of pepper. I wish the bourbon vanilla came through more in the taste. Overall, it tastes great, but this isn't an Imperial stout. I am torn.

M: Low carbonation, and not really enough unfermentable carbs to give that characteristic chew and opaque body. Like a dubbel/quad, but undercarbonated. Booze is utterly invisible on the tongue, which is nice.

O: Overall, I really like this beer. But if I'm to judge it to style, it's way off base. It is, as advertised, "complex;" I don't know if I'd qualify it as "extremely" so, but it's certainly nice. At 7.49 for the bottle, it's worth it as a one-off, but certainly not an every day drinker. Worth it if you're into interesting additions or experiments; not worth it at all if you're a stout person. I really can't judge this well.

3.9/5  rDev +7.7%

My wife picked up this nice little swing top beer at Holiday Wine Cellar in Escondido, CA, to serve at our tasting last night. Shared this one at our tasting last night. Poured a dark brown color with light brown head. Aromas of Belgian yeast, roasted malt and vanilla. On the palate, this one is fairly light bodied with flavors of tart cherries, prunes, raisins and lightly roasted malt.

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Got this beer from Connecticut Avenue Wine & Liquor Deli in Dupont, which is also stocking Abbaye de Saint Bon Chien at the moment. Was really excited to find this after having Tarry Suchong a few weeks ago.

BFM found in this beer the same body qualities they achieved in Tarry Suchong - medium to lightweight, a little syrupy glaze but overall quite light. It's something I really go for, and I think it makes for a great canvas - others just think all of BFM's beers are watery because of it. Whatever you think, Alex le Rouge is no exception.

Like Tarry Suchong, there's supposed to be some Vanilla and Tea in here - I'll believe that, but I don't think it comes through in the same way. Instead, there's more of a burnt malt taste that's rounded off with a sweetness (dark fruit) and, at the close, some bitterness (pepper/nuts if I want to reach). It's a great one/two punch. Give it to me on draft, world.

3.97/5  rDev +9.7%

Pleasing stout with some nice touches of vanilla, and spiced fruit.

Presentation: 33 cl brown flip rubber capped bottle. White and red label dominated by a red star alongside brewery logo. Narrative notes intent and history, as well as serving, and cellaring suggestions. Neck label notes a detailed list of ingredients. Notes Batch 2009, and 10.276% Alc. by Vol. Served in a tulip glass.

A - Black pour with dark brown edges, 1/4" short lived tan head, fair surface ring and minimal dashes of lacing.

S - Sweet and malty nose, hint of vanilla and tea.

T - Taste follows with a nice compact malty sense, roasted notes, a general fruity sense embracing the vanilla, and tea with a spicy (peppery?) hint.

M - Medium/full body with medium/thin carbonation

D - It's a nice flow, with an overall stimulating and pleasing experience.

Notes: Well, it is a nice brew, and probably deserves a bit more. But the bragging notes about its extreme complexity are not only unnecessary if it were that complex, but really not that extremely accurate... Still, it´s a brew that I would not mind at all to have again (if it did not feel that overpriced).

Appearance: Arrives with a translucent dark color and a modest cap that leaves little lacing (it is cask conditioned)

Smell: A bit of roast, some tea character and a real sense of vanilla

Taste: Roasty malt, up front, with a developing tea character and some dark fruit; by mid-palate, the vanilla and Sarawak pepper both make their presence felt and the combination with the Belgian yeast strain adds complexity, after the swallow

Mouthfeel: Medium body with gentle carbonation; some warmth in the gullet from the ABV

Drinkability: Tremendously creative and complex; really enjoyed the multiple layers

3.38/5  rDev -6.6%

Picked up on a whim from Julio's. I wonder if aging this beer a few years would help soem of the qualities. Wonder if it would get that nice stouty mouthfeel...

A - Poured into my Duvel tulip. Now, I got a nice fluffy 1 finger head from this which left a little sticky side lacing a nice wispy cloud atop a dark brownish red (just barely red). The head was impressive considering the ABV of this.

S - Not getting much in the way of typical stout aromas, however, I am getting a fair amount of what this brewery promises. Getting some subtle spiceyness from the pepper as well as some herbal/sweetness from the tea. Sadly not getting any vanilla though, which is the quality I was looking forward to the most.

T - Kinda like the nose here. This has a nice sweetness herbal quality to it, presumably from the tea, that one never finds in a stout. There isnt really any roasted qualities, but I'm getting that spicy pepper aspect and if I search really hard I can find a faint hint of vanilla on the back end. Still some more stout qualities would be nice...

M - Really disappointed here. This feels nothing like a stout. Very thin, very watery. Not thick at all just a bit creamy. Low carbonation of course.

D - A rather confusing beer. The ingrediants dont exactly work for me, or this beer. That being said, if you gave this a thick and creamy mouthfeel maybe it would gel a little better. Its a tough one, I want to like this offering based off of uniqueness, but there are jsut too many misteps here.

3.8/5  rDev +5%

On-tap at the Porter Beer Bar in Atlanta.

Pours one shade from black with a half-finger tan head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving decent lacing.

Smells of light roast with moderate amounts of dried dark fruits - plums and raisins. Also present are spicy, slightly woody notes in addition to anise. The anise influence increases as the beer warms.

Tastes much more one-dimensional than it smells. Muted roasted malt flavors kick things off and are joined quickly by indistinct spices. Hints of cocoa powder and earthy hops come into play midway through the sip, carrying through to a moderately bitter ending.

Mouthfeel is good. It's got a nice thickness with smooth carbonation.

Drinkability is also good. I finished my glass without any problems and could have another.

Overall I found this to be an interesting beer however it was upsetting that the complex nose didn't carry through to the flavor profile. Worth a shot but not worth seeking out.

2.06/5  rDev -43.1%

Into a tulip, pours a brownish head atop a dark red body. This is a stout? Not impenetrable like the typical Double Stout.

Aromas seem complex at first, yet nothing distinctly stands out after awhile. Intensity is low and all I am really getting is sweetness from the tea.

Flavors are tangy (!), which alerts me I am potentially drinking an infected bottle. Apparently I am not alone in this assessment from seeing the reviews on both this site and an other. Reminds me of what happened to a bottle of Speedway Stout where I tasted lemons in a beer typically rife with molasses, chocolate, and coffee. So, my assessment may have to wait until I find out what's going on here.

Thin and insubstantial mouthfeel, almost watery.

Overall, people are talking about this as a Swiss interpretation of the Double Stout style? If this bottle is legit (i.e., non-infected), the brewers can keep their interpretation. Seriously, I tasted a slight quantity of tea and pepper, initially some roast, but ultimately it petered out to nothing. Just a thin, watery, dark brown BLEH of bleh bleh-bleh bleh bleh bleh.

Certain people shall hear from me about this, and as I have no vested interest in hating the Swiss (the same brewery's Abbaye De Saint Bon-Chien is an excellent Bière de Garde), I will give it another try.

2.67/5  rDev -26.2%

Saw this in the store today and am intrigued. Label says it's a Jurassian Imperial Stout with Black Pepper, Bourbon Vanilla and Tea. Batch 2009. Poured into my St. Bernardus Goblet.

A: Pour is a dark amber brown. Not at all what I would have expected in an imperial stout. No real head. Some foam at the edges.

S: Alcohol hits hard during the pour along with some strong vanilla. A swirl and sniff reveals more of the same. The strong odor of alcohol combined with the vanilla really make this smell like a glass of bourbon. A hint of malt is about the only thing that sets this apart as a beer. Some sour/funk notes present as well.

T: While the alcohol is not nearly as overpowering in the taste as it is in the smell, this beer would still definitely benefit from some aging. Just too hot. It does not taste much like a stout. It reminds me more of a brown ale with a very high abv. The tea adds some uniqueness providing some funk and the black pepper is very faint.

M: Definitely has that pepper tickle at the back of the throat, something I'm not the biggest fan of, but expected in any beer with peppers. Very watery for a stout. Not the usual heavyness. Almost uncarbonated.

D: Still way too hot. Even once mellowed I doubt I'd drink more than one. Way too much going on with it. Not very well integrated.

Overall, I like what they tried here. I really feel like it's more of a brown ale than an Imp Stout, but that's just splitting hairs. I will definitely pick up another and see how it ages as it has a lot of potential to mellow quite nicely. I actually like the use of tea. Not such a big fan of the pepper.

3.01/5  rDev -16.9%

poured from a cold 33cl fliptop bottle.

A- dark, but light still shines through around the edges. tan head with decent head retention.

S- dominant alcohol smell, with dry dark malt.

T- alcohol comes through a lot, along with a pretty strong acidity. Maybe funk? Or just acidity from dark malts.

M- dry for a stout this strong. high carbonation.

D- easier to drink than an oil-thick imperial stout, but for that reason I don't really enjoy it as much.

3.88/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

** Pre-review note: I was given this beer blind and my comments reflect my intrinsic enjoyment of the beer. Scores have been scaled down to reflect the fact that this really isn't a very good "imperial stout" - either stylistically or just philosophically, regardless of how much liberty they took with guidelines **

Pours a dark brown colour with a red tinge. Head is lovely and dense, a finger thick with large bubbles. Lace is also beautifully dense and sticky. Looks seductive and impressive.

Smell is rich and tart. Lots of dark berry notes with heavy plum and raisin and blackberry notes. Plus well, wow, it's just red wine-esque. Lots of shiraz plus large amount of black pepper, oak, cocoa hints as well. Pretty appealing.

Taste is quite dark and complex. Much dark fruit on the assault, plummy and jammy with hints of raisins and redcurrants. Gets very vinous midway with red grape skins, dark chocolate and black pepper like you'd get from a good Barossa Shiraz. Yeah, very intriguing and unique flavours, lots of spice and really quite tart. Nutty and oaky notes come through on the back. In fact I think a lot of the vinous notes I'm sensing are just pungent oak. Distinct funk from the same source I believe, sort of a washed-rind cheese character blends with the fruity tart notes very well. Very tasty and complex; I'm definitely feeling it.

Smooth mouthfeel but with an alacrity to it; it just pops and leaps around in the mouth, very nicely.

A very enjoyable and complex brew. Challenging but balanced. A sipper, but a bloody fine sipper.

First had: on tap at the Belgian Cafe, Philly, PA

A: Rich, dark red color, with a nice white head.

S: Roasty, with sweet fruits.

T: Roasty malts, licorice, sweet fruits, definite alcohol twinge.

M: Medium body, seemed more a strong dark ale than a stout.

D: Somewhat drinkable, but the sweetness stopped me from ordering a second.

3.32/5  rDev -8.3%

Stout swing-top bottle purchased from Healthy Spirits in San Francisco, and brought back to Australia to share with my bros.

Pours a very hazy, but not particularly dark brown colour. Hints of red to it, mostly, certainly not even close to black. Head is a vague beige colour, which forms in some nice reverse cascading out of the bottle, but it dissipates rather quickly. All up, I can't say I'm terribly impressed for a beer which calls itself Imperial, Jurassian and Stout.

Nose is rather boozy, but with a slight cherry overtone and a sweetness that gives it vestiges of artificial cherry cola. Certainly something spiced and unusual in the beer, but just as certainly, very little in the way of dark roasted characters. There's a burning astringency that almost feels like it gets in my eyes, but that's just the booziness, and not the darkness. Again, it's interesting, but it's selling itself as something different.

Taste is incredibly boozy, almost like port, grappa or brandy as it heats the tongue, with almost minimal character elsewhere to give a hint of anything else besides pure booze. There's a slight dark note to it, of course, but once again, it's not nearly strong enough for what it claims to be, and the booze has the beer in a stranglehold. Feel is remarkably thin.

An Imperial Stout can afford to be as boozy as this because it's packed with flavour, and has a huge body to hold it all together. This has none of that, but it still insists on having a very high ABV. As a result, it ends up quite harsh, but at the same time rather bland. Very average beer, to my mind.

3.27/5  rDev -9.7%

11.2 oz. bottle, 2009 Vintage, a very specific to 5 sig. figures 10.276% ABV,

A: Pours a super dark brown, with a fizzy off-white head, pillowy at first, dies down quick, but has good retention, light lace.

S: Definite note of vanilla on the first sniff, but then dominated by tangy cocoa powder and leather. Light black pepper.

T: Has a lot of pepper especially on the back end. Tangy dark malt throughout like old hot chocolate. Mild vanilla. Interesting, though it's not really super tasty.

M: Light-bodied, for the style, thin, feels a bit like a Belgian, medium acidity, light carbonation.

D: The idea of this beer intrigued me so I picked it up. An experiment that didn't really work for me, but it's definitely weird and a beer someone can have fun delving into. It grew on me a little more as it ended, but not close to being worth the price (~$6).

Cuvée Alex Le Rouge (Jurassian Imperial Stout) from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)