Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale) - BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale)Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale)

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes) visit their website
Switzerland

English Barleywine |  10.03% ABV

Rare and Funky beer brewed with Spike from Terrapin for "Un Mare di Birra" Beer Cruise. Rum barrel aged Rye Barleywine (20% rye).

(Beer added by: Viciousknishs on 09-21-2011)
2.85/5  rDev -16.2%

33cl swingtop into a medium-sized Duvel tulip. Thanks to Chris for sharing this oddity.

A: Cloudy mahogany body; only a few bubbles. Meh.

S: Intense. Heavy acetic acid, as well as some vanilla, rum, and rye. Sourness dominated, but it's still pretty complex. Weird, but not unappealing.

T: Sourness absolutely destroys everything else, with some weir, bitter, almost bile-like grossness along with it. Not good at all.

M: Medium body, light carbonation. Average at best.

O: This one sounded like it had great potential, but the vinegar funk just obliterated everything else in the end. Not recommended.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Feb 16, 2012

Awww shit. Bought this off the shelf here in Georgia on a whim & scanning the reviews, it sounds like this might be sour...well, nothing to do but hope. 11.4 oz. swing-top.

Cool bottle. I release the metal & it exhales before the rubber stopper is even cracked. Yikes. Heading to sink now. But no, not even a whimper of head. Looks like red wine vinegar; kinda smells like it too. No. Almost exactly like it.

Spike & Jerome's Cuvee Delirante should have been strangled in the cradle. Heavy sour tang, red vinegar up the nose, with a tiny wisp of rum & some kind of beer right at the end.

Brewers: if you're going to brew sour shit, put the word SOUR on the label somewhere; you're going to end up in hell for calling things like this a "barleywine". Dammit. This just pisses me off. Unfuckingdrinkable. It makes me sorry I just dropped money on another Terrapin beer, & I won't touch anything from these other characters.

Possibly the Worst Beer Ever.

maximum12, Aug 21, 2012

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +32.4%

st9647v3, Aug 18, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -35.3%

Little flip top. Nearly becalmed, thick apple cider brown pour.

Aroma, there is some faint sour here. Check that, pretty potent vinegar. Faint caramel behind it.

Taste, Cider and red wine vinegar. There is more oaky malt here, but not much more. Some sherry. Faint cocoa finish, but the vinegar lingers.

It's pretty heavy, nice for a barleywine, but there is not enough carbonation for the sour ale it is. Alcohol is pretty well hidden. I struggled with this little bottle, but if you like and are ready for a sour, this might be nice.

Not undrinkabe, though nearly. More like something you could get from Russian River, like some sort of wild ale.

Bung, Dec 07, 2012
2.8/5  rDev -17.6%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

33cl swing-top bottle poured into a snifter glass.

Pours a glazey, syrupy, translucent dark reddish-brown. Absolutely no head. None. Two or three bubbles along the edge hint that this might have once been carbonated. Looks stagnant and thick. Absolutely coats the inside of the glass when agitating, but no legs form. Pretty ridiculous.

Big sour nose with smacks of vinegar, oakiness from the barrel aging, sour apple/pucker, sweetness of alcohol (perhaps the rum?), a little funky; aromas not dissimilar to an American Wild--aromas unbecoming of any kind of a barleywine (I'm sure that big malt backbone will come through in the taste). No need to fret, I saw this coming; the descriptions said so, and I can read. And, to be honest, it smells pretty delicious.

Okay, either I have an infected bottle, or this is one of the top three strangest beers I have ever had in my life. Alright, check this out... very thin taste with an emphasis on the rye malts used. The barrel aging is there, sort of, but strangely enough the alcohol is not. Like, at all. It's almost gone. I know that seems impossible. It's extremely smooth, but thin. Okay, I'm going back and smelling it again and I'm getting a lot of bitter liqueur, like Campari or Bitter Kas (for those who know what I mean by that). Back to the taste, again. It's warming up. The malt is getting bigger, and there is glimpses of the alcohol. Very vinous, like a full-bodied uber-dry red wine. I want to give it at least a 3.0, but... I just can't. I'm seriously speechless. I kind of like the way this tastes. I wonder if my other bottle is different.

Way thick, not sticky, but glossy and thick. It doesn't feel bad for being full-bodied, but very strange for having no carbonation. This is off in some sort of way.

Overall, I'm enjoying drinking something so off-balance and wacky. I don't like calling this a barleywine or a 'barleyryne' or whatever. For a different style, I'd rate it higher. It's not that I dislike this beer, it's just way off-style and... just off (still not counting out the possibility of infection here). Not a drain-pour by any means, actually I like working on this one. I just can't put this one at average.

thecheapies, Jan 04, 2012
2.2/5  rDev -35.3%

Interesting beer. A "Barley Ryne" according to the bottle. 1/3 aged in rum barrels too. This is definitely a first.

A: A rusty dark brown/red color. Literally no head, just a smattering of bubbles around the edges. No lacing or retention of course.

S: Pretty boozy rum up front. Some heavy molasses in there. I don't really know how to describe what I'm smelling, this is totally unique. It's similar to dark vermouth in a way, a sort of herbal aroma but almost wine-ish. Maybe some sherry? Very strong, sharp and boozy but not altogether unpleasant. I'm honestly scared to taste this one.

T: Tastes like red wine with a little bit of rum added. And there's just a touch of rye. Then some old apple cider. Very sour at the same time. What the?

M: Almost totally flat, otherwise thick, borderline syrupy. Drying.

O: I'm not really sure what to say here. The complete lack of carbonation really hurts it for sure. Tastes more like a wine or a mead than a beer. A bad one at that. I had a stomach ache after just drinking a few ounces and poured it out. Hard to say if it's infected or intentional, the other reviews all point to it not being an accident though. Definitely wins the award for the craziest beer I've ever had.

Dope, Jan 07, 2012
4.15/5  rDev +22.1%

A - Served a cloudy red color with a touch of brown and very little head and no lace.

S - Aroma is a mix of sour cherries, oak, vanilla, and a bit of booze.

T - Starts off with a mix of sour and tart cherries with some oak and vanilla in the background. Through the middle, some more sourness comes through alongside some caramelized malts and some light booze. The sourness mellows a bit as the beer finishes with some more oak coming through.

M - Medium bodied with mild carbonation. Feels smooth with a tart and sour finish.

D - Very drinkable. Nice sourness and tartness from the cherry. Could have used a touch more body and carbonation.

ngeunit1, May 24, 2012

ADTaber, Nov 23, 2011

Whew, I had trouble finding the record for this one on BA.

Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A: Poured a caramel brown color, with only a slight whispy head that even poured that way. Usually BA Barleywines aren't about the head they produce.

S: Very, very faint smell of melted Jolly Rancher, oak, and maybe a hint of candi sugar. Nothing overpowering or groundbreaking here.

T: Kinda wet carboard-like actually. One-dimensional would be an understatement. I got processed caramel, grains, and only a hint of oak... which didn't do a very good job covering up the booze.

M: The booziest English BW I've tried in a while BY FAR. They really need to go back to the drawing board on this one. Sure, it was thick enough, but I didn't care after a while. The lacing was minimal as was the carbonation.

O: Not quite bad enough to be a drain pour, but damn near bland enough to be one.

Chaney, Oct 24, 2012
1.49/5  rDev -56.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 1.25 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 1.75

Bottle bought and drank at Victoire in Rochester, NY.

Barrel aged barleywines aren't what they used to be. What the fuck was this monstrosity of a beer? I don't mind sour beers if they are done well, but this was just rancid.

2011 vintage. Please make this the last vintage. Don't make it again. Plz.

Pours fairly still and murky honey brown, with no head or lacing.

Smells like vinegar, tobacco, pickle juice, leather, and death.

The taste is similar, just atrocious. What is going on here? This is billed as a rum barrel aged rye barleywine. There is absolutely nothing here to suggest any of the flavors one would assume would be in a rum BA barleywine. Tastes like pickle juice, vinegar, old feet, with maybe the slightest touch of wood. Maybe this was sort of good when it was released, but at this point, it's a muddled, offensive mess of a beer.

Medium bodied, not at all drinkable, no carbonation. I couldn't finish the bottle.

Please stay away from this beer, I beg of you.

GreesyFizeek, Jun 06, 2014
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

Daniellobo, Sep 15, 2012
3.98/5  rDev +17.1%

On-tap at Redlight Redlight in Orlando.

Poured a ruddy reddish-brown with a creamy beige head. Aromas of red wine vinegar, caramel , brown sugar, and oak dominate. Reminds me of a Barleywine that went sour in the barrel, this is a great blend of a caramel-toffee Barleywine with a vinegar-leather-oak Flanders Oud Bruin. Taste follows suit nicely, pleasantly tart and dry, much like a Flanders offering, with sweet caramel malt and vanilla. Mouthfeel is slightly creamy, with a medium body and crisp carbonation. Definitely not feeling the ~12% ABV, I'm really surprised to see it was that high! Overall a real treat, glad I got to try it.

jsanford, Oct 02, 2011

Oh good, my first flat infected beer. What the hell is up with so many reviewers noting how tart this is and giving it decent or better scores? Its a barleywine for crying out loud.

a: Flat murky brown.

s: Vinegar. No barleywine or rum barrel.

t: Vinegar. No barleywine or rum barrel.

m: Flat.

o: Absolute garbage. I was really excited to try this, I love the idea of partially barrel aged beer.

DIM, Oct 20, 2013

zonker17, Feb 25, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

hoppymcgee, Jan 07, 2012
4.25/5  rDev +25%

kaelingirl, Mar 22, 2012
4.47/5  rDev +31.5%

"In February, a monumental collaboration was taking place at Switzerland’s Brasserie Des Franches-Montagnes. Terrapin’s own Spike Buckowski had traveled there to brew a unique barleywine with BFM’s Jerome Rebetez. The beer would consist of 20% rye malt, finish at over 12% ABV and be aged in rum barrels!" Thank you Charleston Beer Exchange!

**I really love sour things but I've never liked wild or sour beers, it is literally the only kind of beer that I cannot get into. I try to review and rate beers keeping an open mind and keeping my reviews relative to the style so I am doing my best to relate it to other wild ales/barley wines. It is hard for me to really enjoy these so I am not the best judge with barley wines/sours**

**After 2 of these and after allowing the beer to warm to would I would guess to be ~50 F I need to come back and adjust my ratings, less funk, more sweet malts/sugars and a mild hop bitterness as well**

A - Pours a muddied brown with moderate caramel colored head (poured aggressively)which dissipates fairly quickly, some lacing left behind as I enjoy.

S - Boozy sour vinegar and caramel for the most part some sweet darker fruits and rum also come through

T - Sour vinegar flavors, caramel, dark fruits (raisins, dates, prunes), semi tart, red wine. a little too funky of a finish for me. I am picking up more sweet tootsie roll like notes and less funk as it continues.

M - Medium to fullish bodied, not as heavy as I would expect at 12.03%. Mild carbonation, a little thick on the pallet

O - Overall, I dont really care for sour ales. That being said, there are several qualities that I do enjoy and appreciate in this beer, the funkyness isn't too overwhelming although its less than desirable to me. I would imagine if you like sour beers this would be a real treat.

MacQ32, Oct 26, 2011

Zach136, Sep 28, 2012
3.58/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a murky brown/red with no head at all. No lace.

Some bruised fruit, some dark maltiness. But this is very limited in the nose. Some wood? Some light vanilla?

Shocker how tart this is, with good depth behind it. Sour throughout, but the rightness is nice. Malt, some bruised fruit, alcohol, and stone fruit pit bitterness as the palate clears. Cool complexity here.

Medium bodied. A little loose. Dead still. A bit of fizz would have been nice. Acidic.

Overall, a cool one to try. Much more of a sour than an English Barleywine -- but hard to classify. Not for the faint of heart or those who really are focused upon a single style of beer. This one threw me for a loop, but I enjoyed it.

OtherShoe2, Mar 23, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +2.9%

Herky21, Jul 01, 2014
3.26/5  rDev -4.1%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 3.25

Reviewed from notes. Poured from 11.4 oz. swing-top bottle into a Cycle snifter.

A: No "pffft" at all when the swing-top is opened. Pours a very hazy reddish brown. Forms essentially no head, and there is no visible carbonation bubbles.

S: Prominent vinegary acetic tartness, dark sour cherries, some roasted malts, and hints of oak dryness.

T: Sour acetic acid up front, which dries the mouth. Tart cherries, blackberries, and underripe fruit. Some underlying roasted malts but the vinegar flavor is the star of the show. I still feel like I'm picking up some hints of oak tannins in the dry flavors but I'm not certain. The acetic dryness lasts into the hang.

M: Medium-bodied, and the fairly hefty ABV is well-hidden. Absolutely no carbonation here though. This was essentially a still beer.

O: This was laughable at the categorization of an English barleywine. It's potentially more believable as a bier de garde, but really not that either. Perhaps a decent Flanders Red or Oud Bruin? Or truly infected? Regardless, it's very acetic and probably over the top. The absolutely no carbonation issue sucks any life out of this if might have otherwise had. Not worth the price of admission.

macrosmatic, Nov 11, 2014

mikeincharleston, May 22, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +10.3%

brotherloco, May 12, 2012
3.55/5  rDev +4.4%

33cl swing-top.

It pours a dark brown with just the slightest bubbly head.

The smell is nice. Good barrel notes with some vanilla. There are dark vinous fruits with some sourness. It isn't too funky, just acidic in the smell.

The mouthfeel is thick and ever so lightly carbonated. The flavor is dark fruits, some toastiness, balsamic vinegar, leather, rum. This one is pretty complex and easily would scare off the average person.

crossovert, Mar 21, 2012
Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale) from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)