Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale) - BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)

Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale)Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale)

BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes) visit their website
Switzerland

English Barleywine |  10.03% ABV

Rare and Funky beer brewed with Spike from Terrapin for "Un Mare di Birra" Beer Cruise. Rum barrel aged Rye Barleywine (20% rye).

(Beer added by: Viciousknishs on 09-21-2011)
2.3/5  rDev -32.7%

Bottle into CCB hunahpu snifter. Circa 2011.

A: cloudy, murky brown with no head. Some bubbles around the edge, no lacing.

S: sweet inviting smell. Rye comes through. Malty.

T: tastes like it smells but not in a good way.

M: heavier with no carbonation. Unenjoyable

O: feels like crap pouring a 10$ beer down the drain but I can't get past a few sips. I would NOT recommend.

Happy 4th of July!

ediaz, Jul 04, 2012
2.48/5  rDev -27.5%

D+

33cl into a tulip. Pours a dull dead cola dirty dishwater, zero head zero lacing zero carbonation.

Aroma is strong with vinous notes, treacly, minor oxidation, lots of dark rum. very nice, it reaches from a distance

Taste is wholly surprising with it's level of sour, unexpected but I can now sense it in the scent. Light bodied lifeless mouthfeel. The rye is obvious and the barrel is obvious but why they call this a barleywine is not.
unworthy of a lengthy description, disappointing
no cheers
jd

impending, Dec 03, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -26.9%

whartontallboy, Jan 06, 2012
2.54/5  rDev -25.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.25

Appearance: really dark brown and opaque, like prune juice. No foam or any lacings.

Smell: Very funky. Also picked up a bit of raisins and prunes. Not getting much of oak or aromas associated with barrel aging.

Taste: Clearly does not taste like a barely wine. Has a intense vinegary tartness. Unfortunately I do not know if this is intentional or it's full blown infected. I do not taste any rum or oak from the barrels. It does have a nice bitter finish that goes melds well with the tartness but once again, I do not know what the intentional flavors of this beer is.

Mouthfeel: no carbonation in this beer. There is some body but really nothing spectacular. No warmth from the alcohol either, kind of weird considering it's 10% ABV.

Overall: I'm trying to like it but once again not sure if this is infected or not. It's sour and I did not expect this. It did not indicate anywhere on the bottle that this would present some serious funk.I also have to add that if I knew this was going to be sour, I might have enjoyed this a lot more (then I wouldn't be debating if the current flavors are intentional or not).

Benish, Mar 10, 2014
2.61/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 2.75 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

this beer is pretty bad. i drink a ton of wild ales and sours, and even though this is made by some heavy hitters, and has been carefully aged and all, and even is a really cool recipe probably, the execution is just piss poor. its rankly sour, vinegar and lemony and off. the rye is faded and stale, and there is zero carbonation. i mean, this isnt belgian lambic here. red rusty color, lots of yeast bits, and not a single bubble to be found. a nose of stale grain, sweet leftover sugar, and infected acidity. have not had a nose this off really since the paradox stuff that was just so infected and offensive. it still has hope though, until i taste it, and i get the acid all up front, totally covering up any success that may exist in the mash or in the flavoring. no rye at all, some rum or bourbon wood, but its all lost to aggressive lactic acidity that cant possibly be palatable to anyone who drinks sours on a regular basis, its just so far off the mark. what i like about it (albeit not very much), is how weird it is. i can see the potential here, hopefully mine aged poorly or something, but i can see how this could be awesome in a different manifestation. woody and strong, clever. for a bottle that lists abv percentage out the the ten thousandths place, i mean, if we are being that exact here, how can the beer be so sloppy? i know they have an awesome reputation, but so far i am zero for two with these guys. 17 bucks a go for this? no thanks.

StonedTrippin, Jun 02, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle to snifter. Looks decent; dark in color and little to no head/lacing. Smells good; molasses. Then it gets disappointing quickly. Taste is disappointing; vinegar - like an oxidized wine. Tastes like a bad sour that's been uncapped for a week (or two). Mouthfeel is average - for a bad tasting beer. Overall, average at best (and that's because categories other than taste pulled it up). Never buying again.

b3shine, Feb 26, 2012
2.75/5  rDev -19.6%

westcoastbeerlvr, Jan 09, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 1.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

33cl swing-top bottle poured into a snifter glass.

Pours a glazey, syrupy, translucent dark reddish-brown. Absolutely no head. None. Two or three bubbles along the edge hint that this might have once been carbonated. Looks stagnant and thick. Absolutely coats the inside of the glass when agitating, but no legs form. Pretty ridiculous.

Big sour nose with smacks of vinegar, oakiness from the barrel aging, sour apple/pucker, sweetness of alcohol (perhaps the rum?), a little funky; aromas not dissimilar to an American Wild--aromas unbecoming of any kind of a barleywine (I'm sure that big malt backbone will come through in the taste). No need to fret, I saw this coming; the descriptions said so, and I can read. And, to be honest, it smells pretty delicious.

Okay, either I have an infected bottle, or this is one of the top three strangest beers I have ever had in my life. Alright, check this out... very thin taste with an emphasis on the rye malts used. The barrel aging is there, sort of, but strangely enough the alcohol is not. Like, at all. It's almost gone. I know that seems impossible. It's extremely smooth, but thin. Okay, I'm going back and smelling it again and I'm getting a lot of bitter liqueur, like Campari or Bitter Kas (for those who know what I mean by that). Back to the taste, again. It's warming up. The malt is getting bigger, and there is glimpses of the alcohol. Very vinous, like a full-bodied uber-dry red wine. I want to give it at least a 3.0, but... I just can't. I'm seriously speechless. I kind of like the way this tastes. I wonder if my other bottle is different.

Way thick, not sticky, but glossy and thick. It doesn't feel bad for being full-bodied, but very strange for having no carbonation. This is off in some sort of way.

Overall, I'm enjoying drinking something so off-balance and wacky. I don't like calling this a barleywine or a 'barleyryne' or whatever. For a different style, I'd rate it higher. It's not that I dislike this beer, it's just way off-style and... just off (still not counting out the possibility of infection here). Not a drain-pour by any means, actually I like working on this one. I just can't put this one at average.

thecheapies, Jan 04, 2012
2.85/5  rDev -16.7%

33cl swingtop into a medium-sized Duvel tulip. Thanks to Chris for sharing this oddity.

A: Cloudy mahogany body; only a few bubbles. Meh.

S: Intense. Heavy acetic acid, as well as some vanilla, rum, and rye. Sourness dominated, but it's still pretty complex. Weird, but not unappealing.

T: Sourness absolutely destroys everything else, with some weir, bitter, almost bile-like grossness along with it. Not good at all.

M: Medium body, light carbonation. Average at best.

O: This one sounded like it had great potential, but the vinegar funk just obliterated everything else in the end. Not recommended.

Cheers!

woosterbill, Feb 16, 2012
2.95/5  rDev -13.7%

Had some really high hopes for this brew. The pour was a little disappointing, the color was brown and there was basically no head on it at all. The smell of the beer was funky, there was a spicy note to it also but nothing overly appealing to me. The taste of the beer was tart with some really strange flavors of wood and other herbs. The flavors to me just weren't working together at all. The mouthfeel was hardly carbonated with did nothing for me really. The feel was semi-thick and it really doesn't have the best drinkablity to me. Overall I wouldn't buy it again. I would maybe try a vintage bottle a few years from now if I came across one... But I would hope it's would be much more enjoyable after some cellaring time.

Knapp85, Mar 12, 2012

mikeincharleston, May 22, 2013

CJS, Jan 22, 2013

oldedog, Mar 22, 2014

JDavidRice, Feb 07, 2013

Whew, I had trouble finding the record for this one on BA.

Served in a Cigar City snifter.

A: Poured a caramel brown color, with only a slight whispy head that even poured that way. Usually BA Barleywines aren't about the head they produce.

S: Very, very faint smell of melted Jolly Rancher, oak, and maybe a hint of candi sugar. Nothing overpowering or groundbreaking here.

T: Kinda wet carboard-like actually. One-dimensional would be an understatement. I got processed caramel, grains, and only a hint of oak... which didn't do a very good job covering up the booze.

M: The booziest English BW I've tried in a while BY FAR. They really need to go back to the drawing board on this one. Sure, it was thick enough, but I didn't care after a while. The lacing was minimal as was the carbonation.

O: Not quite bad enough to be a drain pour, but damn near bland enough to be one.

Chaney, Oct 24, 2012

brbrocc, Dec 08, 2012

jophish17, Dec 24, 2011

xfbbx, Oct 03, 2012

t0rin0, Aug 22, 2012

imperialking, Jan 24, 2012
3.15/5  rDev -7.9%

Poured into a tulip glass a murky russett brown with no head to speak of at all,not the most glamerous pour by any means here.A mix of sour and dark fruits dipped in rum in the nose,a little underlying cake to it as well.In some ways its like an English barleywine with its deep dark frutiness and cakey notes,but the rye gives a lactic somewhat spicey finish that doesnt seem to match well with other elements of the beer.Not my cup of tea here but its not really bad,I just dont care for the finished product much.

oberon, Dec 14, 2011
Spike & Jérôme’s Cuvée Délirante (Collaboration Ale) from BFM (Brasserie des Franches-Montagnes)