St. Peter's Winter Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Winter Warmer |  6.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 12-09-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's Winter Ale Alström Bros
firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last

16.9 oz. British bottle,

A: Pours black, with a full tan head, nice retention, some lacing left in the glass.

S: Roasted malt, burnt sugar, molasses, and maybe a bit of licorice and pine needles.

T: On the first sip, I wasn't too impressed with it, it had mainly a burnt sugar taste, with this "dark" bitterness that seemed out of place and caught me off-guard. After a while I got more into it. Overall, it's got a nice mix of flavours, burnt molasses and hops mostly, though there is a spice character to this beer hinting of nutmeg or cinnamon, a bitter quality, though I don't know if this beer is spiced or not.

M: Quite light on the tongue for a 6.3% beer, kind of thin as well, I mean this is a beer you could guzzle if you wanted to, oily as well, some resin.

D: A fair beer from St. Peter's, I've had better beers from them before, an OK offering, not just up to par with some of the better Winter beers out there. (928 characters)

2.97/5  rDev -23.8%

A: Dark, dark brownish red with a very slim, muddy burnt sienna highlight. Cream head of average proportions and look.

S: Nice sweet caramel, plum, chocolate covered cherries.

T: Toffee at the outset with tart cherry following and a funky, rubbery sourness that pervades the whole back end that I can't put a specific flavor to, but it isn't entirely pleasant.

M: Medium bodied with a great creaminess.

D: Starts off as a nice and drinkable traditional winter warmer, but that funk at the end killed it for me. Will try again to see if my bottle was the issue. (564 characters)

2.9/5  rDev -25.6%

Pours a dark brown, with off white head.

Smells malty. Bread, caramel.

Tastes is the same as the aroma. Malty. Not very complex, not much going on.

I'm guessing this is more like a porter. 6.5 abv doesn't usually make for a winter warmer. Overall, just not much there. Liquid bread. (285 characters)

2.8/5  rDev -28.2%

This beer was OK (but hardly remarkable), but had an oddly tangy aftertaste that would keep me from recommending it.

This beer poured a red-brown translucent color with a minimal head. Aroma was a mild malted-milk ball aroma. Flavor was malty with an unusual spiciness that had a tanginess that reminded me more of aftershave or bug repellent than it did of the holidays. Mouthfeel was OK, but didn't really stand out in my mind.

I wasn't thrilled with this beer, and there other winter beers I would much prefer to this one. Also, the green packaging of this beer baffles me and has led to me avoiding it altogether up to now.

I'd weakly counsel you to avoid this beer. I certainly wouldn't recommend it. (708 characters)

firstprev| 126-150 | 151-175 | 176-200  | next → last