St. Peter's Honey Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-25-2003

Reviews by NeoClassicist:
3.75/5  rDev +22.5%

1.2/5  rDev -60.8%

Good presentation so the expectation was high. It was once the bottle was opened that our expectations went downhill. The reason for joining this site was to warn you all how bloody awful this stuff tasted. Oh i have just been told it was supposed to be a beer. I am off to check the dictionary to see the definition of a beer. This was truly dreadful. 2 bottles was purchased. We thought that perhaps the 1st was off. No such luck!! 2nd bottle was exactly the same so if you want consistency this is for you. After our expectations went downhill, both bottles were sent down the drain. Never known a beer to have an aroma of cats wee before. (642 characters)

1.89/5  rDev -38.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a thin tan head. This has got to be the weirdest smelling beer I've tried. There is an aroma of burnt honey and strong perfume. Seriously this smelt like old lady's perfume. Gross. The taste is sweet honey, roasted malts, more of that perfume, and some bitterness. Watery mouthfeel. A very unusual beer but not very good. (351 characters)

2.57/5  rDev -16%

great looking beer, bad tasting...
appearance is good, zero head on pour, zero lacing on glass.

taste,...there is definaltley honey in there,.. too much for my liking. too me this tastes like liquid honey and water with a faint hops left on the palate in aftertaste. god awful

not recommended (300 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

3.25/5  rDev +6.2%

2.75/5  rDev -10.1%

- pure honeycomb smells
- honey, clover flowers, and a slight bitterness in the finish (86 characters)

3.5/5  rDev +14.4%

4.09/5  rDev +33.7%

2.96/5  rDev -3.3%

3.91/5  rDev +27.8%

Comes in St. Peter's trademark oval-shaped brown half-liter bottle with the very plain label. Honey is listed as an ingredient - duh! Best before Valentine's Day 2004, I couldn't wait that long. Mine popped open on 10/25/03.

Poured a dark brown hue with burgundy hints, rather like a cola. I was disturbed by the extreme lack of head. Despite dumping the last third of the bottle vertically into my glass, this brew could only just barely muster enough foam to cover the top of the glass. I must admit, though, that head retention was not bad, in the sense that the same film that formed at the pour was still around near the bottom of the glass. And there were spots of lace. Go figure.

The smell was very nice - strong caramel and sweet. The mouth was fairly flat and heavy. The taste was that of a strong porter, bordering on a stout. Roasted nuts and bitter chocolate featured in the opening, chased by a big hoppy bitterness in the finish. Can't say that I noticed much influence from the honey here. There was a bit of smokiness to the experience, and the taste was uncannily like a stout. Still, it was quite enjoyable, despite it's rather odd appearance. (1,168 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +30.4%

A - Pours up a reddish/copper colour. Big foamy head, bubbles not very tight. Lacing is thin, uncharacteristic for a porter.

S - Crazy! Pure bee ass! The honey and flower aromas overpower all malts and hops, but I don't think thats a bad thing.

T - Exactly the same as the nose, the honey flavours are intense, with a long bitter finish. Malts are very backround, maybe a bit of crystal malt? Hops providing balanced bitterness and perhaps add to the flower aroma/taste. If I was a bee, I would be charged to the eyeballs on this stuff and probably be banished from the hive for making a pass at the queen in a drunken rage.

M - Mouthfeel is bit to crisp, I think it could use a bit of thickening up to really fit a porter style.

D - This is a one or two beer for me. I dig the strange flavours, but a session on this I couldn't do. Overall I think its a unique beer that should be given points for its originality. (920 characters)

3.11/5  rDev +1.6%

500 ml bottle, bought at Vaaland Spesialbutikken, Bryne. ABV is 4.5%. Very dark reddish brown colour, moderate creamy beige head. VERY strong aroma of honey, also notes of caramel and syrup. Creamy mouthfeel. The honey dominates the flavour too, but it is not quite as sweet as I feared. Notes of coffee and cough syrup, with a moderate hoppy bitterness in the finish. St. Peter's Brewery has better beers than this one! (420 characters)

1.52/5  rDev -50.3%

Sorry, I don't care how exotic this brewery is, this was rank. It looks brilliant in the glass being a deep russet with a nice tan head. The smell was of a mixture of creosote and honey and I knew from then on I wouldn't like it. Taste was worse. I tried to get into the flavour but I just couldn't. It was like bronchitis mixture and coffee grounds mixed together. There's certainly honey but it's not sweet and the overwhelming bitterness forced me to tip this out. I had it well before the use-by date so unless my sample was defective somehow, it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Apart from VB, of course. (614 characters)

2.72/5  rDev -11.1%

A deep reddish black color, some lacing of the head. Smells like honey, malt, some chocolate. Alright, now go with me with this one. I had this with a couple friends and all thought it tasted exactly like a Honey Dutchmaster, a cheap honey cigar. Really, it's spot-on. Strong honey, malt, and hints of a tobacco taste. Very smooth.

Definitely could not drink more than one of these, could barely finish the pint. (413 characters)

2.94/5  rDev -3.9%

Alright, the serving I got of this brew was said to be 4.5% ABV, and it has a freshness date stamp of best before Nov 2009. Anyhow, let's see how this Porter holds up.

After a good hearty pour of my half liter serving into a Stone Imperial Pint glass, this beer produced very little light tan head that dissipated quickly to nothing but a cola looking beverage. The body of this brew is nearly black, but shows off reddish hues when held up to sunlight.

Surprisingly the honey does really come through in the aroma, as most beers I've had that are brewed with honey don't usually actually smell like honey. There is also a slight prune scent here too.

The taste starts off with a chalky chocolate like flavor, with hints of honey in the aftertaste.

This brew is a bit on the thin watery side, but for a light ABV presence it does offer some complexity. (856 characters)

3.87/5  rDev +26.5%

500ml Bottle bought from the Vineyard, Belfast..

Poured a dark brown / black colour... Slightly off white head poured quite big but disappeared very quickly...

Aroma - Very noticable sweet honey, coffee, malts, spicy, peppery...

Taste – Aniseed, honey, chocolate, roasted malts...

Feel - Quite creamy, not as full bodied as i would have expected...

Overall - A pretty good honey porter. Not something i would want to drink a lot, but definitely worth a try... (475 characters)

3.94/5  rDev +28.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep, dark burgundy, weakish head. Love the nose! Rich, dark toasty honey, molasses and burnt caramel. Nice. Body is a touch weak, little lacking in mid-palate but very tasty. Full bodied and plenty of personality. Honey? Check. Porter? Check. Good beer. (254 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -15%

This is one weird tasting beer. I enjoy St. Peter's Cream Stout and was hoping to like this one. The bottle was incredibly cool. Like a flask of a mythical boticary with an enigmatic elixir. I poured it into an imperial pint glass and had a finger of head with no retention at all.
The smell was quite pleasing, as the honey was very noticeable. Unfortunately, the taste was really bad. It had very slight carbonation and was very watery. It tastes more like a tea with cow dung and some honey thrown in there. Not very beer-like.
I had never had a honey porter, so I am not sure if that's what the style should taste like. However as a porter it was very bad. It's really a shame I won't be buying this ever again, since that will mean I will not complete the really cool bottle collection I envisioned when I first purchased this. (833 characters)

St. Peter's Honey Porter from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd