St. Peter's Honey Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

to view more.
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 36
Reviews by mdagnew:
3.87/5  rDev +18.3%

500ml Bottle bought from the Vineyard, Belfast..

Poured a dark brown / black colour... Slightly off white head poured quite big but disappeared very quickly...

Aroma - Very noticable sweet honey, coffee, malts, spicy, peppery...

Taste – Aniseed, honey, chocolate, roasted malts...

Feel - Quite creamy, not as full bodied as i would have expected...

Overall - A pretty good honey porter. Not something i would want to drink a lot, but definitely worth a try...

1.89/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a thin tan head. This has got to be the weirdest smelling beer I've tried. There is an aroma of burnt honey and strong perfume. Seriously this smelt like old lady's perfume. Gross. The taste is sweet honey, roasted malts, more of that perfume, and some bitterness. Watery mouthfeel. A very unusual beer but not very good.

2.57/5  rDev -21.4%

great looking beer, bad tasting...
appearance is good, zero head on pour, zero lacing on glass.

taste,...there is definaltley honey in there,.. too much for my liking. too me this tastes like liquid honey and water with a faint hops left on the palate in aftertaste. god awful

not recommended

- pure honeycomb smells
- honey, clover flowers, and a slight bitterness in the finish

3.91/5  rDev +19.6%

Comes in St. Peter's trademark oval-shaped brown half-liter bottle with the very plain label. Honey is listed as an ingredient - duh! Best before Valentine's Day 2004, I couldn't wait that long. Mine popped open on 10/25/03.

Poured a dark brown hue with burgundy hints, rather like a cola. I was disturbed by the extreme lack of head. Despite dumping the last third of the bottle vertically into my glass, this brew could only just barely muster enough foam to cover the top of the glass. I must admit, though, that head retention was not bad, in the sense that the same film that formed at the pour was still around near the bottom of the glass. And there were spots of lace. Go figure.

The smell was very nice - strong caramel and sweet. The mouth was fairly flat and heavy. The taste was that of a strong porter, bordering on a stout. Roasted nuts and bitter chocolate featured in the opening, chased by a big hoppy bitterness in the finish. Can't say that I noticed much influence from the honey here. There was a bit of smokiness to the experience, and the taste was uncannily like a stout. Still, it was quite enjoyable, despite it's rather odd appearance.

3.99/5  rDev +22%

A - Pours up a reddish/copper colour. Big foamy head, bubbles not very tight. Lacing is thin, uncharacteristic for a porter.

S - Crazy! Pure bee ass! The honey and flower aromas overpower all malts and hops, but I don't think thats a bad thing.

T - Exactly the same as the nose, the honey flavours are intense, with a long bitter finish. Malts are very backround, maybe a bit of crystal malt? Hops providing balanced bitterness and perhaps add to the flower aroma/taste. If I was a bee, I would be charged to the eyeballs on this stuff and probably be banished from the hive for making a pass at the queen in a drunken rage.

M - Mouthfeel is bit to crisp, I think it could use a bit of thickening up to really fit a porter style.

D - This is a one or two beer for me. I dig the strange flavours, but a session on this I couldn't do. Overall I think its a unique beer that should be given points for its originality.

3.11/5  rDev -4.9%

500 ml bottle, bought at Vaaland Spesialbutikken, Bryne. ABV is 4.5%. Very dark reddish brown colour, moderate creamy beige head. VERY strong aroma of honey, also notes of caramel and syrup. Creamy mouthfeel. The honey dominates the flavour too, but it is not quite as sweet as I feared. Notes of coffee and cough syrup, with a moderate hoppy bitterness in the finish. St. Peter's Brewery has better beers than this one!

1.52/5  rDev -53.5%

Sorry, I don't care how exotic this brewery is, this was rank. It looks brilliant in the glass being a deep russet with a nice tan head. The smell was of a mixture of creosote and honey and I knew from then on I wouldn't like it. Taste was worse. I tried to get into the flavour but I just couldn't. It was like bronchitis mixture and coffee grounds mixed together. There's certainly honey but it's not sweet and the overwhelming bitterness forced me to tip this out. I had it well before the use-by date so unless my sample was defective somehow, it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Apart from VB, of course.

2.72/5  rDev -16.8%

A deep reddish black color, some lacing of the head. Smells like honey, malt, some chocolate. Alright, now go with me with this one. I had this with a couple friends and all thought it tasted exactly like a Honey Dutchmaster, a cheap honey cigar. Really, it's spot-on. Strong honey, malt, and hints of a tobacco taste. Very smooth.

Definitely could not drink more than one of these, could barely finish the pint.

2.94/5  rDev -10.1%

Alright, the serving I got of this brew was said to be 4.5% ABV, and it has a freshness date stamp of best before Nov 2009. Anyhow, let's see how this Porter holds up.

After a good hearty pour of my half liter serving into a Stone Imperial Pint glass, this beer produced very little light tan head that dissipated quickly to nothing but a cola looking beverage. The body of this brew is nearly black, but shows off reddish hues when held up to sunlight.

Surprisingly the honey does really come through in the aroma, as most beers I've had that are brewed with honey don't usually actually smell like honey. There is also a slight prune scent here too.

The taste starts off with a chalky chocolate like flavor, with hints of honey in the aftertaste.

This brew is a bit on the thin watery side, but for a light ABV presence it does offer some complexity.

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep, dark burgundy, weakish head. Love the nose! Rich, dark toasty honey, molasses and burnt caramel. Nice. Body is a touch weak, little lacking in mid-palate but very tasty. Full bodied and plenty of personality. Honey? Check. Porter? Check. Good beer.

2.6/5  rDev -20.5%

This is one weird tasting beer. I enjoy St. Peter's Cream Stout and was hoping to like this one. The bottle was incredibly cool. Like a flask of a mythical boticary with an enigmatic elixir. I poured it into an imperial pint glass and had a finger of head with no retention at all.
The smell was quite pleasing, as the honey was very noticeable. Unfortunately, the taste was really bad. It had very slight carbonation and was very watery. It tastes more like a tea with cow dung and some honey thrown in there. Not very beer-like.
I had never had a honey porter, so I am not sure if that's what the style should taste like. However as a porter it was very bad. It's really a shame I won't be buying this ever again, since that will mean I will not complete the really cool bottle collection I envisioned when I first purchased this.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

4.5 ABV, Best before date 30 April 15
Deep mahogany brown, very lightly carbonated with thin tan head and minimal lacing.
Strong aroma of clover honey, sweet and floral
Taste of burnt toast and clover honey slightly medicinal surprisingly not sweet. The body is thin and dry.
This porter is not for me, I can see where they are trying to go, but for me the thin dry body and burnt flavor of roast barley is at odds with the heavy floral clover-honey aroma. It unbalances this beer and makes it hard to enjoy.

3.82/5  rDev +16.8%

Second Honey Porter I have ever tried.

Great expectation about this one, not really impressive to the eye, great smell, good complex taste, good in general.

A: Pretty dark red color almost brown with a little one finger beige head that disappears really fast leaving no trace back.

S: Really deep Honey smell, sweet caramel, some fruits some chocolate, but natural honey is the predominant.

T: Bittersweet in general, complex honey - prunes flavor a little dry at the end.

M: Pleasant at the beginning but complex at the end make a good balance.

4.2/5  rDev +28.4%

Holy moly -- that's one bizarre beer. At first it smelled like roses, but then I realized it was the smell of honey, w/o the sweetness. Not bad -- I enjoyed drinking it -- but the novelty would wear off after a few. So floral -- it's like going to a wedding.

The label says "Contains honey flavouring." hidden in the middle of the narrative, so I wonder if it's an extract rather than real honey.

Also, my bottle (purchased in Mexico) is labeled 4.5% ABV, not 5.1%.

2.02/5  rDev -38.2%

Nice in appearance. Deep brownish red in colour, but lighter that I expected from a porter (more like a brown ale). Crystal clarity. About one finger of light tan head when poured into a sleeve. Head dissipated quickly down to a sixteenth of an inch ring around the top.

The first thing I smelled was an overwhelming presence of baby powder and bad floral incense (never smelled that in a beer before... hope I never do again). Other than that, sweet, chocolate, a hint of black cherry. I gave the glass a swirl and that uncovered Crunch Berries (from Cap'n Crunch cereal). The bottle's rear label states this beer "Contains honey flavouring." This gives one the impression of artificial flavouring and that might help explain my distaste for it. Strange brew, girl what's inside of you?

It tastes just like it smells, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I want from a porter, to the same degree as its appearance.

I will avoid this one from this point on.

I want to open the window to get that smell out of here, but it's cold out there so I'm heading straight to my reserve of Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale to relieve my trama.

To sum up and end this review on a positive note I will say "Great bottle"!

3.92/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

AMERICAN? Porter?

From the bottle:
A traditional English porter finished with honey for a truly unique aroma. This is a famous old ale which has been handed down through generations. Brewed with skill and patience in Britain's finest small brewery.

4.5% ABV, Best Before 19APR06.

A: Dark ruby-brown, off-white/slightly-tan head (not much, but it leaves some wicked looking lace).

S: REALLY smells like honey (how do they do it?). Some fruityness from the British yeast, with a little roasted/nutty malt. Exceptional.

T: Bittersweet flavour. Dark fruit-bread, a little licorous & espresso. A bit of a let down.

M: Light to moderate body and carbonation. Slightly puckering & dry in the finish.

D: Alright.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

A: Poured very dark and thick from the bottle. The green bottles are cool, but can be misleading about the beer's actual color. Little to no head on it when poured.

S: Strong aromas. Hints of coffee or even chocolate, although the honey came right through.

T: Strong, bitter flavor. Almost overwhelming. Bitter from beginning to finish, although the honey flavors helped sweeten it.

M: Rich. Medium creaminess. Barely any carbonation.

D: Tough to drink quickly because of the bitterness. Perhaps some carbonation would lighten the heaviness caused by the bitter flavors.

3.87/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Brown hue tending to black with reddish tints. By serving a very creamy foam is generated with beige tones, with slow dissipation, residual. carbonation is constant & heavy made of tiny bubbles.

S: Excellent aroma and slightly honeyed toast and hints of coffee.

T: Bitter taste from start to finish, the ending is extended with a roasted bitterness and ending in subtle honeyed notes.

Medium body towards robust.
Recommendation: served with chocolate cake

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a dark burgundy colour with a dusky brown tinge. Head is cream-coloured and fizzes up when moved, but mostly thin, just a bit of foam, and a bit of cloud on the top of the liquid. Seemed to have a quite thin meniscus when poured, which I loved. Looks thick, sticky and unique. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Nose is ridiculously sweet, such a rich syrupy honeycomb smell on that, blended with some mocha richness, chocolatey and honey-esque with a quite butterscotchy aroma as well, and also, I think lacqueredmouse is right - pot pourri. A lot of floral character on it. Insanely sweet, but pleasant.

More of a mustiness on the palate, along with a slight hint of a roasted malt bitterness. Floral elements with a bit of a nectar flavour on the front and back, a fair honeycomb lingering at behind the main palate throughout, and then a nice espresso bitterness on the finish, and a bit of an Irish cream flourish as well.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, with a little creaminess from the malt being nice, but not quite enough. It's suitable but not delicious.

Overall, the burnt character is ever-so-slight off-putting from what is otherwise an incredibly tasty after-dinner beer, but not enough to detract, really. Perfect for a pairing with a nice crème brulée or panna cotta.

look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a nice porter with honey notes. Not bad at all, not great either.

2.94/5  rDev -10.1%

St Peter's Honey Porter.

A = Poured dark brown with little head. What was there dissapated quickly to nothing.

S = Smelt of rich dark honey. Also an underlying coffee bitterness to the smell. Smells great.

T = The taste was initially a smooth honey taste which was penetrated by a dark chocolate taste and a smokey bitter finish. The smokey finish left a bad aftertaste which effected the next sip, and so forth. Yuck.

M = Low carbonation mixed with smokey muck.

D = The smokey characteristic of this beer made it undrinkable for me.

2.2/5  rDev -32.7%

A: pours a dark, reddish brown with very little bubbly head and leaves no lace.

S: Honey and herbs

T: hmmm, strong, sweet honey and lots of buttery herbs (eccanacia comes to mind) - far too sweet and it kind of tastes like honey-flavoured cough syrup.

M: full bodied, oily, decent carbonation, but goes down kinda thick.

D: I really did not enjoy this beer at all. It looks like medicine and it tastes like medicine. It's way too sweet and the medicine-y flavours make it quite undrinkable. I think the only reason I decided to finish it was because it was expensive and, perhaps, I was hoping it might cure my cold... I will definitely not be buying this beer again.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a burnished deep brown, with a filmy head of just off-white bubbles. Nice thickness in the body: the carbonation stays static when it's swirled. Looks very tasty.

Holy crap, that's a hell of a nose. Deep sweet chocolate and light roasted characters with a heady, almost overpowering pot-pourri, lavender and marshmallow sweetness - like the most overwhelmingly floral honey. Incredibly unique. I'm not sure I've quite smelled a beer like it, and that has to be worth something.

Lots of chocolate on the palate too. Still very sweet, but with a pleasant dusty bitterness on the back to dry it out a little. Quite long on the palate, although the feel is a little thin.

To me, the aroma is easily the biggest attribute in this brew. It's terribly unique, but I hence find that it doesn't necessarily integrate very well with the rest. Still it's a very interesting beer, quite smooth and easy to drink.

3.35/5  rDev +2.4%

Jerusalem Tavern in London...

A: Dark red with a thin off white head

S: Some maltiness but mostly dark fruits which are overpowering

T: Again, much like the aroma, the daark fruits are overpowering... slightly syruppy

M: Kind of thin

O: Not impressive... but was worth a shot

to view more.