St. Peter's Honey Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 69 | Reviews: 36
3.87/5  rDev +18.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This is a nice porter with honey notes. Not bad at all, not great either.

- pure honeycomb smells
- honey, clover flowers, and a slight bitterness in the finish

3.75/5  rDev +14.7%

Poured cold from 500ml bottle into straight pint glass.

A) Pours very dark ruby-black. No head and little lacing.

S) Despite serving cold, the honey smell is huge. Also hints of good vanilla ice cream. Very appetising.

M) Moderate to low carbonation. I drink stouts and porters cold, so it's quite refreshing.

T) First is strong taste of nice honey. Then a bit of floral gums (English sweets). Finally there's some beer! Fairly good chocolate stout type flavour. Only let down is a fairly distinct and long-lasting metallic / astringent aftertaste.

O) Far better than I was expecting after reading some of the reviews on BA. The first beer from this brewery that I have liked. Really looking forward to their Cream Stout now. Recommended to any flavoured stout fan.

3.25/5  rDev -0.6%

4.5 ABV, Best before date 30 April 15
Deep mahogany brown, very lightly carbonated with thin tan head and minimal lacing.
Strong aroma of clover honey, sweet and floral
Taste of burnt toast and clover honey slightly medicinal surprisingly not sweet. The body is thin and dry.
This porter is not for me, I can see where they are trying to go, but for me the thin dry body and burnt flavor of roast barley is at odds with the heavy floral clover-honey aroma. It unbalances this beer and makes it hard to enjoy.

2.12/5  rDev -35.2%

500ml bottle into a half-pint glass at the Jerusalem Tavern. If only I'd read the reviews about this one first...

A: Clear red-brown body with a finger of fine cream-colored head. Ok retention, great lace.

S: Insane. Heather, honey, herbs, and pollen-covered grass. Crazy Very waxy and candlelike. Bizarre, and not especially appealing.

T: Honey, clover, beeswax, and only a little bit of malt. Sweet honey on the finish. Not too bad at first, but by the time I get midway through my half of the bottle it's so overpoweringly waxy that I can barely choke it down.

M: Soft, light, frothy. Nice.

O: This was such a uniquely awful beer that I actually started to give it decent scores - if I'd only had a couple ounces, I might have actually liked it. Drinking half a bottle, though, just drove home how truly bad, nay, evil this beer is. Do not drink it.

2.71/5  rDev -17.1%

I give it 5 for bottle presentation, but after that...

Pours a deep mahogany with one finger coarse cream head. No ppphhht from bottle opening.

Aromas of honey (well I never) but also, and I haven't used these words before, and hope I never will, talc, and glue. There you go, I used them.

Taste of chocolate, honey, bitter.

Too light in mouth, but it is low ABV.

Overall, the talc just keeps returning. not good. Glass of water needed to wash down and to get rid of bitter aftertaste.

3.28/5  rDev +0.3%

Beer bottle (50 cl.), tasted in 2011.

Appearance : black color, with tan foamy head.
Smell : malty with notes of heavy hone
Taste and mouthfeel : roasted with coffee and honey flavouring
Drinkability : an average beer in the style traditional English Porter.

2.02/5  rDev -38.2%

Nice in appearance. Deep brownish red in colour, but lighter that I expected from a porter (more like a brown ale). Crystal clarity. About one finger of light tan head when poured into a sleeve. Head dissipated quickly down to a sixteenth of an inch ring around the top.

The first thing I smelled was an overwhelming presence of baby powder and bad floral incense (never smelled that in a beer before... hope I never do again). Other than that, sweet, chocolate, a hint of black cherry. I gave the glass a swirl and that uncovered Crunch Berries (from Cap'n Crunch cereal). The bottle's rear label states this beer "Contains honey flavouring." This gives one the impression of artificial flavouring and that might help explain my distaste for it. Strange brew, girl what's inside of you?

It tastes just like it smells, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I want from a porter, to the same degree as its appearance.

I will avoid this one from this point on.

I want to open the window to get that smell out of here, but it's cold out there so I'm heading straight to my reserve of Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale to relieve my trama.

To sum up and end this review on a positive note I will say "Great bottle"!

3.94/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Deep, dark burgundy, weakish head. Love the nose! Rich, dark toasty honey, molasses and burnt caramel. Nice. Body is a touch weak, little lacking in mid-palate but very tasty. Full bodied and plenty of personality. Honey? Check. Porter? Check. Good beer.

2.6/5  rDev -20.5%

This is one weird tasting beer. I enjoy St. Peter's Cream Stout and was hoping to like this one. The bottle was incredibly cool. Like a flask of a mythical boticary with an enigmatic elixir. I poured it into an imperial pint glass and had a finger of head with no retention at all.
The smell was quite pleasing, as the honey was very noticeable. Unfortunately, the taste was really bad. It had very slight carbonation and was very watery. It tastes more like a tea with cow dung and some honey thrown in there. Not very beer-like.
I had never had a honey porter, so I am not sure if that's what the style should taste like. However as a porter it was very bad. It's really a shame I won't be buying this ever again, since that will mean I will not complete the really cool bottle collection I envisioned when I first purchased this.

3.87/5  rDev +18.3%

A: Brown hue tending to black with reddish tints. By serving a very creamy foam is generated with beige tones, with slow dissipation, residual. carbonation is constant & heavy made of tiny bubbles.

S: Excellent aroma and slightly honeyed toast and hints of coffee.

T: Bitter taste from start to finish, the ending is extended with a roasted bitterness and ending in subtle honeyed notes.

Medium body towards robust.
Recommendation: served with chocolate cake

3.82/5  rDev +16.8%

Second Honey Porter I have ever tried.

Great expectation about this one, not really impressive to the eye, great smell, good complex taste, good in general.

A: Pretty dark red color almost brown with a little one finger beige head that disappears really fast leaving no trace back.

S: Really deep Honey smell, sweet caramel, some fruits some chocolate, but natural honey is the predominant.

T: Bittersweet in general, complex honey - prunes flavor a little dry at the end.

M: Pleasant at the beginning but complex at the end make a good balance.

4.2/5  rDev +28.4%

Holy moly -- that's one bizarre beer. At first it smelled like roses, but then I realized it was the smell of honey, w/o the sweetness. Not bad -- I enjoyed drinking it -- but the novelty would wear off after a few. So floral -- it's like going to a wedding.

The label says "Contains honey flavouring." hidden in the middle of the narrative, so I wonder if it's an extract rather than real honey.

Also, my bottle (purchased in Mexico) is labeled 4.5% ABV, not 5.1%.

1.89/5  rDev -42.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a thin tan head. This has got to be the weirdest smelling beer I've tried. There is an aroma of burnt honey and strong perfume. Seriously this smelt like old lady's perfume. Gross. The taste is sweet honey, roasted malts, more of that perfume, and some bitterness. Watery mouthfeel. A very unusual beer but not very good.

4.07/5  rDev +24.5%

Pours a burnished deep brown, with a filmy head of just off-white bubbles. Nice thickness in the body: the carbonation stays static when it's swirled. Looks very tasty.

Holy crap, that's a hell of a nose. Deep sweet chocolate and light roasted characters with a heady, almost overpowering pot-pourri, lavender and marshmallow sweetness - like the most overwhelmingly floral honey. Incredibly unique. I'm not sure I've quite smelled a beer like it, and that has to be worth something.

Lots of chocolate on the palate too. Still very sweet, but with a pleasant dusty bitterness on the back to dry it out a little. Quite long on the palate, although the feel is a little thin.

To me, the aroma is easily the biggest attribute in this brew. It's terribly unique, but I hence find that it doesn't necessarily integrate very well with the rest. Still it's a very interesting beer, quite smooth and easy to drink.

3.83/5  rDev +17.1%

Pours a dark burgundy colour with a dusky brown tinge. Head is cream-coloured and fizzes up when moved, but mostly thin, just a bit of foam, and a bit of cloud on the top of the liquid. Seemed to have a quite thin meniscus when poured, which I loved. Looks thick, sticky and unique. Exactly what I was hoping for.

Nose is ridiculously sweet, such a rich syrupy honeycomb smell on that, blended with some mocha richness, chocolatey and honey-esque with a quite butterscotchy aroma as well, and also, I think lacqueredmouse is right - pot pourri. A lot of floral character on it. Insanely sweet, but pleasant.

More of a mustiness on the palate, along with a slight hint of a roasted malt bitterness. Floral elements with a bit of a nectar flavour on the front and back, a fair honeycomb lingering at behind the main palate throughout, and then a nice espresso bitterness on the finish, and a bit of an Irish cream flourish as well.

Mouthfeel is a bit thin, with a little creaminess from the malt being nice, but not quite enough. It's suitable but not delicious.

Overall, the burnt character is ever-so-slight off-putting from what is otherwise an incredibly tasty after-dinner beer, but not enough to detract, really. Perfect for a pairing with a nice crème brulée or panna cotta.

1.52/5  rDev -53.5%

Sorry, I don't care how exotic this brewery is, this was rank. It looks brilliant in the glass being a deep russet with a nice tan head. The smell was of a mixture of creosote and honey and I knew from then on I wouldn't like it. Taste was worse. I tried to get into the flavour but I just couldn't. It was like bronchitis mixture and coffee grounds mixed together. There's certainly honey but it's not sweet and the overwhelming bitterness forced me to tip this out. I had it well before the use-by date so unless my sample was defective somehow, it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Apart from VB, of course.

3.15/5  rDev -3.7%

A - Black, with a monstrously fluffy white head. Even lacing.

S - Overpowering smell of honey, which almost filled the whole room! There are also delicate floral and caramel undertones but they are not obvious at first.

T - The honey is right up front in the taste but it has a more perfumy quality than sweetness. Slightly bitter towards the end.

M - Quite thin considering the taste. The flavours linger in the back of the palete.

D - Interesting flavours, too strong though. The first honey beer I have had that actually tastes like honey. Probably couldn't manage another one in a single sitting, as it is quite sickly.

3.99/5  rDev +22%

A - Pours up a reddish/copper colour. Big foamy head, bubbles not very tight. Lacing is thin, uncharacteristic for a porter.

S - Crazy! Pure bee ass! The honey and flower aromas overpower all malts and hops, but I don't think thats a bad thing.

T - Exactly the same as the nose, the honey flavours are intense, with a long bitter finish. Malts are very backround, maybe a bit of crystal malt? Hops providing balanced bitterness and perhaps add to the flower aroma/taste. If I was a bee, I would be charged to the eyeballs on this stuff and probably be banished from the hive for making a pass at the queen in a drunken rage.

M - Mouthfeel is bit to crisp, I think it could use a bit of thickening up to really fit a porter style.

D - This is a one or two beer for me. I dig the strange flavours, but a session on this I couldn't do. Overall I think its a unique beer that should be given points for its originality.

2.94/5  rDev -10.1%

Alright, the serving I got of this brew was said to be 4.5% ABV, and it has a freshness date stamp of best before Nov 2009. Anyhow, let's see how this Porter holds up.

After a good hearty pour of my half liter serving into a Stone Imperial Pint glass, this beer produced very little light tan head that dissipated quickly to nothing but a cola looking beverage. The body of this brew is nearly black, but shows off reddish hues when held up to sunlight.

Surprisingly the honey does really come through in the aroma, as most beers I've had that are brewed with honey don't usually actually smell like honey. There is also a slight prune scent here too.

The taste starts off with a chalky chocolate like flavor, with hints of honey in the aftertaste.

This brew is a bit on the thin watery side, but for a light ABV presence it does offer some complexity.

2.84/5  rDev -13.1%

At 4.5%abv., BB 11 FEB 10, served mildly chilled in Hapkin's tulip-shaped bowl sniffer.

A: pours a deep russet brown hue with relatively mild carbonation and a thin beige fluffy head fast settling to a rim.
S: the aroma is way too much, too sweet, like chocolate-honey flavoured toffee glazed with layers of syrup really! The vanilla-chocolatey edge comes in abundance, but overall it's the almost dense and "perfumy" honey aroma that overpowers everything else on the nose, while the stinky edge of a thick honey also stays close aside. Sheer unbalanced, to say the least about a product made by such a decent micro-brewery...
T: the weird foretaste features, again, sharply-perfumy ("astringent" in a sense) honey, vanilla-powery bitter chocolates underlined by a hint of sweet black prunes, and lightly licorice and syrupy-chesnutty edge, leading fast to a short aftertaste of lightly chewy-woody, sour bitterness of hops and more vanilla-powdery aroma in the end. The bitter finish is slightly harsh and doesn't really act as a smooth continuation of the main flavour, but at least as a sign of good level of hops used in the brew. Overall, this beer is not really well-made, as far as the flavour structure is concerned.
M&D: to make things worse, the texture is slightly too fizzy, sitting in contrast with the performance of three other St Peter's bottled ales purchased together (as part of a 4-pack). I've tried the cask version of this ale at the Jerusalem Tavern in London, which was slightly better due to the less intrusive vanilla and honey edge. I would've found it very hard, if not impossible, to justify/comprehend the reputation of St Peter's if this was the very first beer I tried made by the brewery, really. NOT recommended.

3.11/5  rDev -4.9%

500 ml bottle, bought at Vaaland Spesialbutikken, Bryne. ABV is 4.5%. Very dark reddish brown colour, moderate creamy beige head. VERY strong aroma of honey, also notes of caramel and syrup. Creamy mouthfeel. The honey dominates the flavour too, but it is not quite as sweet as I feared. Notes of coffee and cough syrup, with a moderate hoppy bitterness in the finish. St. Peter's Brewery has better beers than this one!

2.4/5  rDev -26.6%

First, I don't get why this is catagorized as an American Porter.

Picked up at Bert's Bier Huis in Utrecht.

Into a pint glass.

APPEARANCE: A deep brown, and very clear. Next to zero carbonation. Small off-white head quickly disappears into a think film, which soon vanishes as well. Some lacing evident.

SMELL: Strong smell of honey and a hint of roasted malt. The sweet honey is interesting, but a little overwhelming. Not much else going on. This is kind of what you'd expect from a "honey" porter.

TASTE: Sweet honey initially and some roasted malt again, but honey dominates. Kind of a candy-like aftertaste lingers. Reminds me of either medicine and/or some old Christmas baking that's been hanging around too long. A little one dimensional and it gets old quickly.

PALATE: Medium body, smooth and finishes pretty dry. Zero bite. Carbonation is on the low end of the scale, which makes it a little flatter than average.

OVERALL: An interesting attempt, but in general it's too one dimensional. The honey is somewhat overwhelming and it gets old quickly. Not a very drinkable brew. In all honesty, the first few mouthfuls were alright, but I didn't really want to finish it.

2.72/5  rDev -16.8%

A deep reddish black color, some lacing of the head. Smells like honey, malt, some chocolate. Alright, now go with me with this one. I had this with a couple friends and all thought it tasted exactly like a Honey Dutchmaster, a cheap honey cigar. Really, it's spot-on. Strong honey, malt, and hints of a tobacco taste. Very smooth.

Definitely could not drink more than one of these, could barely finish the pint.

2.2/5  rDev -32.7%

A: pours a dark, reddish brown with very little bubbly head and leaves no lace.

S: Honey and herbs

T: hmmm, strong, sweet honey and lots of buttery herbs (eccanacia comes to mind) - far too sweet and it kind of tastes like honey-flavoured cough syrup.

M: full bodied, oily, decent carbonation, but goes down kinda thick.

D: I really did not enjoy this beer at all. It looks like medicine and it tastes like medicine. It's way too sweet and the medicine-y flavours make it quite undrinkable. I think the only reason I decided to finish it was because it was expensive and, perhaps, I was hoping it might cure my cold... I will definitely not be buying this beer again.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »