St. Peter's Honey Porter - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Honey PorterSt. Peter's Honey Porter

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English Porter |  5.10% ABV

(Beer added by: brewdlyhooked13 on 10-25-2003)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
petluo

Finland

05-17-2012 19:03:07 | More by petluo
rjimlad

1.45/5  rDev -55.1%

Sorry, I don't care how exotic this brewery is, this was rank. It looks brilliant in the glass being a deep russet with a nice tan head. The smell was of a mixture of creosote and honey and I knew from then on I wouldn't like it. Taste was worse. I tried to get into the flavour but I just couldn't. It was like bronchitis mixture and coffee grounds mixed together. There's certainly honey but it's not sweet and the overwhelming bitterness forced me to tip this out. I had it well before the use-by date so unless my sample was defective somehow, it was the worst thing I've ever tasted. Apart from VB, of course.

09-14-2009 11:50:19 | More by rjimlad
stcules

Italy

1.65/5  rDev -48.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

Dark red color, with ruby reflexes. Some foam, beige in color, not lasting, ma lefting a veil.
At the firts sniff: honey, with sometimes some chocolat. The two notes are not well amalgamated, you can feel one at the time.
Quite difficult to drink, the honey cover the taste, that it's peculiar. There is some bitterness and some roasted, but the honey is too strong and overbearing.

11-12-2006 18:04:32 | More by stcules
chickenm

1.9/5  rDev -41.2%

Pours a dark brown color with a thin tan head. This has got to be the weirdest smelling beer I've tried. There is an aroma of burnt honey and strong perfume. Seriously this smelt like old lady's perfume. Gross. The taste is sweet honey, roasted malts, more of that perfume, and some bitterness. Watery mouthfeel. A very unusual beer but not very good.

12-22-2009 03:17:40 | More by chickenm
availablename

1.98/5  rDev -38.7%

Nice in appearance. Deep brownish red in colour, but lighter that I expected from a porter (more like a brown ale). Crystal clarity. About one finger of light tan head when poured into a sleeve. Head dissipated quickly down to a sixteenth of an inch ring around the top.

The first thing I smelled was an overwhelming presence of baby powder and bad floral incense (never smelled that in a beer before... hope I never do again). Other than that, sweet, chocolate, a hint of black cherry. I gave the glass a swirl and that uncovered Crunch Berries (from Cap'n Crunch cereal). The bottle's rear label states this beer "Contains honey flavouring." This gives one the impression of artificial flavouring and that might help explain my distaste for it. Strange brew, girl what's inside of you?

It tastes just like it smells, unfortunately.

Mouthfeel is lighter than I want from a porter, to the same degree as its appearance.

I will avoid this one from this point on.

I want to open the window to get that smell out of here, but it's cold out there so I'm heading straight to my reserve of Brooklyn Brewery's Monster Ale to relieve my trama.

To sum up and end this review on a positive note I will say "Great bottle"!

12-19-2010 04:03:48 | More by availablename
woosterbill

Connecticut

2.1/5  rDev -35%

500ml bottle into a half-pint glass at the Jerusalem Tavern. If only I'd read the reviews about this one first...

A: Clear red-brown body with a finger of fine cream-colored head. Ok retention, great lace.

S: Insane. Heather, honey, herbs, and pollen-covered grass. Crazy Very waxy and candlelike. Bizarre, and not especially appealing.

T: Honey, clover, beeswax, and only a little bit of malt. Sweet honey on the finish. Not too bad at first, but by the time I get midway through my half of the bottle it's so overpoweringly waxy that I can barely choke it down.

M: Soft, light, frothy. Nice.

O: This was such a uniquely awful beer that I actually started to give it decent scores - if I'd only had a couple ounces, I might have actually liked it. Drinking half a bottle, though, just drove home how truly bad, nay, evil this beer is. Do not drink it.

04-02-2012 03:13:32 | More by woosterbill
Graham5161986

2.15/5  rDev -33.4%

A: pours a dark, reddish brown with very little bubbly head and leaves no lace.

S: Honey and herbs

T: hmmm, strong, sweet honey and lots of buttery herbs (eccanacia comes to mind) - far too sweet and it kind of tastes like honey-flavoured cough syrup.

M: full bodied, oily, decent carbonation, but goes down kinda thick.

D: I really did not enjoy this beer at all. It looks like medicine and it tastes like medicine. It's way too sweet and the medicine-y flavours make it quite undrinkable. I think the only reason I decided to finish it was because it was expensive and, perhaps, I was hoping it might cure my cold... I will definitely not be buying this beer again.

04-02-2008 22:00:26 | More by Graham5161986
Jeffo

Netherlands

2.35/5  rDev -27.2%

First, I don't get why this is catagorized as an American Porter.

Picked up at Bert's Bier Huis in Utrecht.

Into a pint glass.

APPEARANCE: A deep brown, and very clear. Next to zero carbonation. Small off-white head quickly disappears into a think film, which soon vanishes as well. Some lacing evident.

SMELL: Strong smell of honey and a hint of roasted malt. The sweet honey is interesting, but a little overwhelming. Not much else going on. This is kind of what you'd expect from a "honey" porter.

TASTE: Sweet honey initially and some roasted malt again, but honey dominates. Kind of a candy-like aftertaste lingers. Reminds me of either medicine and/or some old Christmas baking that's been hanging around too long. A little one dimensional and it gets old quickly.

PALATE: Medium body, smooth and finishes pretty dry. Zero bite. Carbonation is on the low end of the scale, which makes it a little flatter than average.

OVERALL: An interesting attempt, but in general it's too one dimensional. The honey is somewhat overwhelming and it gets old quickly. Not a very drinkable brew. In all honesty, the first few mouthfuls were alright, but I didn't really want to finish it.

10-27-2008 17:03:31 | More by Jeffo
niz

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

great looking beer, bad tasting...
appearance is good, zero head on pour, zero lacing on glass.

taste,...there is definaltley honey in there,.. too much for my liking. too me this tastes like liquid honey and water with a faint hops left on the palate in aftertaste. god awful

not recommended

04-01-2006 06:03:14 | More by niz
luisfrancisco

2.48/5  rDev -23.2%

This is one weird tasting beer. I enjoy St. Peter's Cream Stout and was hoping to like this one. The bottle was incredibly cool. Like a flask of a mythical boticary with an enigmatic elixir. I poured it into an imperial pint glass and had a finger of head with no retention at all.
The smell was quite pleasing, as the honey was very noticeable. Unfortunately, the taste was really bad. It had very slight carbonation and was very watery. It tastes more like a tea with cow dung and some honey thrown in there. Not very beer-like.
I had never had a honey porter, so I am not sure if that's what the style should taste like. However as a porter it was very bad. It's really a shame I won't be buying this ever again, since that will mean I will not complete the really cool bottle collection I envisioned when I first purchased this.

08-27-2010 23:55:26 | More by luisfrancisco
pipinmalikonj

Croatia (Hrvatska)

2.5/5  rDev -22.6%

11-21-2013 11:42:28 | More by pipinmalikonj
brendan13

2.55/5  rDev -21.1%

A - Pours a dark red/light brown colour with a centimetre of beige head that falls to a thin whisp quite quickly. Quite big rings of lacing.
S - Dark fruits with a fairly strong cherry presence. A touch of roasted malts.
T - The taste reminds me of a cough syrup I used to have when I was younger - strong, sticky & artficially sweet cherry. Once the sticky, sweetness goes away there is some roasty notes and quite a strong bitterness felt.
M - Quite light bodied for the style, medium carbonation.
D - No idea what honey they used but I struggled to find it. Honey Porters continue to let me down.
The best before date on this bottle was April 08.

12-01-2007 11:59:24 | More by brendan13
Soozy

Tennessee

2.7/5  rDev -16.4%

A deep reddish black color, some lacing of the head. Smells like honey, malt, some chocolate. Alright, now go with me with this one. I had this with a couple friends and all thought it tasted exactly like a Honey Dutchmaster, a cheap honey cigar. Really, it's spot-on. Strong honey, malt, and hints of a tobacco taste. Very smooth.

Definitely could not drink more than one of these, could barely finish the pint.

Serving type: cask

08-18-2008 12:25:52 | More by Soozy
AdrianMendez

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

03-11-2013 23:21:15 | More by AdrianMendez
heygeebee

2.75/5  rDev -14.9%

I give it 5 for bottle presentation, but after that...

Pours a deep mahogany with one finger coarse cream head. No ppphhht from bottle opening.

Aromas of honey (well I never) but also, and I haven't used these words before, and hope I never will, talc, and glue. There you go, I used them.

Taste of chocolate, honey, bitter.

Too light in mouth, but it is low ABV.

Overall, the talc just keeps returning. not good. Glass of water needed to wash down and to get rid of bitter aftertaste.

07-30-2011 02:20:12 | More by heygeebee
BeerNutta

2.8/5  rDev -13.3%

St Peter's Honey Porter.

A = Poured dark brown with little head. What was there dissapated quickly to nothing.

S = Smelt of rich dark honey. Also an underlying coffee bitterness to the smell. Smells great.

T = The taste was initially a smooth honey taste which was penetrated by a dark chocolate taste and a smokey bitter finish. The smokey finish left a bad aftertaste which effected the next sip, and so forth. Yuck.

M = Low carbonation mixed with smokey muck.

D = The smokey characteristic of this beer made it undrinkable for me.

02-04-2006 16:44:52 | More by BeerNutta
wl0307

United Kingdom (England)

2.85/5  rDev -11.8%

At 4.5%abv., BB 11 FEB 10, served mildly chilled in Hapkin's tulip-shaped bowl sniffer.

A: pours a deep russet brown hue with relatively mild carbonation and a thin beige fluffy head fast settling to a rim.
S: the aroma is way too much, too sweet, like chocolate-honey flavoured toffee glazed with layers of syrup really! The vanilla-chocolatey edge comes in abundance, but overall it's the almost dense and "perfumy" honey aroma that overpowers everything else on the nose, while the stinky edge of a thick honey also stays close aside. Sheer unbalanced, to say the least about a product made by such a decent micro-brewery...
T: the weird foretaste features, again, sharply-perfumy ("astringent" in a sense) honey, vanilla-powery bitter chocolates underlined by a hint of sweet black prunes, and lightly licorice and syrupy-chesnutty edge, leading fast to a short aftertaste of lightly chewy-woody, sour bitterness of hops and more vanilla-powdery aroma in the end. The bitter finish is slightly harsh and doesn't really act as a smooth continuation of the main flavour, but at least as a sign of good level of hops used in the brew. Overall, this beer is not really well-made, as far as the flavour structure is concerned.
M&D: to make things worse, the texture is slightly too fizzy, sitting in contrast with the performance of three other St Peter's bottled ales purchased together (as part of a 4-pack). I've tried the cask version of this ale at the Jerusalem Tavern in London, which was slightly better due to the less intrusive vanilla and honey edge. I would've found it very hard, if not impossible, to justify/comprehend the reputation of St Peter's if this was the very first beer I tried made by the brewery, really. NOT recommended.

05-12-2009 21:30:05 | More by wl0307
TheSarge

2.95/5  rDev -8.7%

Alright, the serving I got of this brew was said to be 4.5% ABV, and it has a freshness date stamp of best before Nov 2009. Anyhow, let's see how this Porter holds up.

After a good hearty pour of my half liter serving into a Stone Imperial Pint glass, this beer produced very little light tan head that dissipated quickly to nothing but a cola looking beverage. The body of this brew is nearly black, but shows off reddish hues when held up to sunlight.

Surprisingly the honey does really come through in the aroma, as most beers I've had that are brewed with honey don't usually actually smell like honey. There is also a slight prune scent here too.

The taste starts off with a chalky chocolate like flavor, with hints of honey in the aftertaste.

This brew is a bit on the thin watery side, but for a light ABV presence it does offer some complexity.

05-27-2009 16:57:49 | More by TheSarge

01-30-2013 07:50:43 | More by schopenhauerale
Sigmund

Norway

3.1/5  rDev -4%

500 ml bottle, bought at Vaaland Spesialbutikken, Bryne. ABV is 4.5%. Very dark reddish brown colour, moderate creamy beige head. VERY strong aroma of honey, also notes of caramel and syrup. Creamy mouthfeel. The honey dominates the flavour too, but it is not quite as sweet as I feared. Notes of coffee and cough syrup, with a moderate hoppy bitterness in the finish. St. Peter's Brewery has better beers than this one!

11-15-2008 20:40:22 | More by Sigmund