2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

St. Peter's Cream Stout - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Cream StoutSt. Peter's Cream Stout

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
View: Beers (26) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's Cream Stout Alström Bros
Ratings: 820 | Reviews: 578 | Show All Ratings:
Roderick

Kentucky

1.95/5  rDev -49.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Oh my loving and generous Lord...this beer comes in the most lovely little pint bottle you ever will see, it pours OK a very dark brown with a tiny dirty white head. The smell is a little sweet with a hint of some medicine from childhood.
But the first taste was as if someone ( maybe a vile serpent) spat its venom into my mouth and then sloshed in a mouthful of week-old coffee. Maybe I am yet to learn the subtleties of a good cream stout but this concoction had me giving up beer for a week just to let my poor pallet recover and to let the blackness fade from me tongue. I paid 2.89 for a pint bottle of this beverage and I feel as if they may have fleeced the poor old country boy.

07-20-2004 22:58:05 | More by Roderick
beervana1858

Oregon

2.03/5  rDev -47.3%

I've walked by this beer several times in various grocery stores and flirted with the idea buying it. I finally received it over christmas and I must say that I was incredibly disappointed. It could be that this particular unit that I tried was old and had been sitting on the shelf at New Seasons for too long but somehow I doubt that. The disappointment began with very unimpressive foamy head in that there was very little of it. The smell of the beer reminded me of the smell of rubber dirty car tires. The taste overall was drinkable but very unimpressive, nothing creamy about it in fact. From the start this beer is considerably over-carbonated, however, at the end when the carbonation was significantly less which revealed a flavors that I can only describe as sub-par and actually quite unpleasant. "Resist the temptation and avoid" is what I tell my friends about this beer.

01-03-2010 08:39:53 | More by beervana1858
jujubeast6000

2.05/5  rDev -46.8%

Reviewed 3/22/2006 (16.9oz bottle):

Pours a dark black color body, with almost no head, tan-colored. Has a strong aroma of coffee, mocha, some chocolate, some hops. Very fizzy, taste of coffe, chocolate, slight pale bitter aftertaste. Light texture, not thick.

12-19-2008 22:23:29 | More by jujubeast6000
ManekiNeko

2.15/5  rDev -44.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

UK-sized bottle served slightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: It's got that jet black color we've come to expect from a stout. Leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I'm reminded of soy sauce and pet food on first impression. Second impression yields the same, with faint additions of carob and coffee.

Taste: Well, the Alpo stops here. Biscuit and chocolatey malts dominate the palate. Coffee and malty bitterness on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a fullish presence in the mouth, one that would be expected from a stout.

Drinkability: Umm... nope. I'll pass on another. The only thing that consumes comestibles that reek of pet food in this household is my cat*

*and me when I'm drunk and have no food lying around but Iams.

06-12-2004 03:24:01 | More by ManekiNeko
Philousa

2.2/5  rDev -42.9%

Very dark black, but you can see it's clear against the light, catching it brown in the corners. Very thin head retains a cover over the top of my etched nonic pint. Aroma is roasty and, you guessed it, creamy and light. This is more than just a stout aroma; I also get some barley in there that's not charred or roasted, indicating some depth to the taste. The cream definitely manifests itself as sweet with the slightest hint of vanilla, but is washed away quickly by the bitter dark malt and a metallic taste. This is definitely one of the lightest stouts I've had in terms of mouthfeel, finish is slightly dry.

This is entirely too metallic and it stays in the back of your mouth. No me gusta.

08-29-2012 03:10:13 | More by Philousa
supercolter

Wisconsin

2.23/5  rDev -42.1%

I am going to have to go against the grain here and not recommend this beer. The appearance is very used motor oily with zero head and still less lacing. Smell is worse, a hint of coffee and cocoa malt and then a sour cream smell. (not actual sour cream but cream that went sour). Taste is very similar to the smell, but the with a bit less of the unsugared cocoa taste. Mouthfeel is fine for the style. Drinkability is not there.

01-23-2007 04:40:17 | More by supercolter
kernalklink

2.28/5  rDev -40.8%

I was excited about this one- it was a great looking brew on the pour- velvety black with a nice tan head and great aromas- bittersweet chocolate, cool clean malts and a hint of toasted bread. The actual taste was another story- flavors were weak and extremely unappetizing. The malts were not present, snor was there any sweet creaminess, or body to speak of- the body was surpisingly light and watered down. The flavor of burnt chocolate permeated the entire beer from beginning to end- the only departure was a bitter hop splash at the end which could not save this harsh stout. I'll stick to my Mackeson's.

08-26-2007 20:46:58 | More by kernalklink
imasloth

2.3/5  rDev -40.3%

A- Pitch black with a tan head. Small head on a hard pour and that disappears quickly. Nothing special.

S- Sweet anise and a medicinal flavor. I like neither.

T- Ugh ... first sip I got all anise and a buttery (diacetyl) finish. Let it warm a bit ... Nope, not getting better.

M- Quite thin for such a dark beer, especially a stout. Not much mouthfeel to note.

O- I am not digging this beer- It's like drinking liquid licorice to me and I don't like licorice.

11-26-2011 03:26:01 | More by imasloth
GarrettB

Colorado

2.63/5  rDev -31.7%

St. Peters models itself as the classic image of the English brewery, drawing from its locale and surrounding environment to spin together a truly English brew. It's the image Americans seek as they sojourn around the English countryside, hunting for the uber-local beers that distinguish one pub from another. The bottle and label for St. Peters' line of beers adds to this local and Anglo-Saxon flavor, and to be honest, the flavor too. The flavor is sweet and cloying, though without the dark chocolate malts or roasted flavors I typically associated with stouts and their style off-shoots. This is sweet and light, packed with scents of sugary grapes and cough medicine. For those beer drinkers who enjoy well-operated historical events and museums, this tastes like something you'd receive as a sample to illustrate what the original root beer recipe tasted like. I even imagined it tasting like an old-timey panacea, curing all your aches, pains and even stubborn cases of polio. The flavor has a similar taste, with sassafras and the raw herbal quality of a homemade root beer. It's a singular taste, but one I'm unaccustomed to, with a palate and flavor that distinguish this beer as an old-fashioned flavor looking to impact modern palates.

09-14-2011 21:45:32 | More by GarrettB
Thorpe429

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Amyliz4 for the bottle. Served in a wine glass.

Pours black with a slight head and quite a few moderately-sized bubbles. Head recedes quickly without leaving too much lacing behind. The nose has a pretty strong buttery component; another off flavor is not what I need from this brewery after the Pale Ale. There is some slight roast and chocolate as well, so at least there's something to cover the diacetyl up a bit. I'm not that fortunate with the taste, as this is more buttery than the nose, though there still is a slight roast component that shows up. Somewhat dry finish with a bit of a buttery mouth-coating component. Not something I would try again.

01-24-2011 23:04:57 | More by Thorpe429
witster18

Tennessee

2.65/5  rDev -31.2%

I was expecting quite a bit as I'm a huge fan of their porter, which is just scrumptious.

The nose of this stout is raisin with a hint of dried, sweet citrus.

Pours near black with a small head that doesn't linger very long.

Taste is alcohol backbone with a slight sweetness and the heat from that alcohol is what stands out. I've tasted American stouts that are twice as smooth and flavorful for the abv here(out of bounds and a few others come to mind). I'm not impressed here. It seems as if their porter will be the only 'go-to' beer from this brewery for me. A bit too sour in the aftertaste... I may have to revisit once just to make sure this isn't dated, but I purchased it from a high volume sales craft beer store(riverside bev in chatt, tn).

Supremely disappointed considering what I could've bought with this 4 bucks. Let's hear it for the good ol' u.s.a. - who has proven they are the new stout kings of the planet. This watery, alcohol ridden, oversweet-mess can stay on the other side of the pond for all i care. I just can't get over the sourness of this beer. It's like someone took a good American stout and poured a Coor's Light silver bullet into it...

05-15-2011 01:02:13 | More by witster18
Kooz

2.68/5  rDev -30.4%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass--nice thick brown head, almost black body. Head largely dissipates pretty quickly, but enough stays. This is a good looking beer.

A nice, toasted smell comes through. Looks and smells good. Looking forward to the tasting, so here goes...

A bit disappointing. Sour to start, then bitter. Coffee and dark chocolate hints at the end, but not enough to save this taste--it's, well, okay. It's layered and complex, but depth doesn't substitute for quality.

Which leads us to mouthfeel, which is lacking. It's watery and acrid. The balance is off--if this were a more traditional milk stout (or cream stout), it wouldn't be quite as tart, but unfortunately, it isn't.

I'm having trouble finishing the one bomber I started. I can't imagine trying to down another. In fact, this beer may have ruined me for the night. Was worth a try and had high hopes, but that's where it ends.

06-14-2011 01:44:43 | More by Kooz
blatherbeard

2.8/5  rDev -27.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Yet another in my series of INFAMOUS! on the spot reviews!!!!

Lets see now, when i pour this beer i get the feeling that its very evil. It goes into the glass with a jet black color and creamy brown head. The head dissipates fairly quickly with absoloutly no lacing at all.

The smell is a bit strong of alchohol. Faint notes of chocolate, seep through but mostly just alchohol.

The taste...well its not much different than the smell really. Heavy alchoholic flavor with backround notes of chocolate..and i do mean BACKROUND.

Very creamy but also very light for a stout. Not a whole lot of carbonation which is what i would expect.

Still a drinkable beer though. Goes down smooth, no bitter aftertaste. I might get this once in a while as something different but overall, i have other milk or cream stouts id rather be drinking.

03-04-2009 23:54:16 | More by blatherbeard
ChefSchipull

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

* Pours a beautiful pitch black with very subtle reddish tones. There is absolutely no head and no lacing to go along with it.

* Smells of faint bitter chocolate, and roasted malt. Fuggle hops are prevelant (although not my favorite).

* Initial taste is of caramelized toffee, then bitter chocolate once again. The bitterness increases quite a bit in the aftertaste.

My 2 cents: This brew could be a bit smoother if the carbonation level wasn't as high. I could definitely taste the residual sugars and as a result, I couldnt have too many of these in one session especially with the Fuggle hops in the mix.

ChefSchipull

01-23-2006 04:49:34 | More by ChefSchipull
Jishguy

Indiana

2.83/5  rDev -26.5%

As an extreme enthusiast of sweet stouts, I was very eager to try one of the more popular sweet stouts that I hadn't tried. I was more or less disappointed. To be fair, this was a quality ale, just not to my taste.

A- Poured a solid black body with a two-finger mocha head. Relatively good retention and lacing as well.

S- Really unexpected. Sweet raisin, plum, burnt brown sugar, cheap cola, and faint cherries. The smell of alcohol was quite distinct as well.

T- Basically identical to the smell. Raisin and plum-like flavors immediately, followed by a hint of roasted malt. The sting of alcohol is present in the aftertaste.

M- Very creamy and smooth. Could be a bit less carbonated.

05-24-2011 04:47:06 | More by Jishguy
GClarkage

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

1/01/05- Purchased at Plumpjack Wines in San Francisco, CA

Presentation- Antique like bottle with bottled date on the back. Poured into my Moab Brewery pint glass.

Appearance- Dark brown thick pour. Left a very small head and very little lacing.

Smell- Scents of creamy and burnt coffee beans. Smells super dark.

Taste- Whoa! This is some deep burnt tastes. Like drinking charcoal. Not my cup of tea here. Almost approaching a smoky flavoring.

Mouthfeel- Yes, it is creamy and has a medium mouthfeel. A bit watery towards the finish.

Drinkability- I couldn't finish this one, nor could my fiancee. Just too dark for my liking. Dark stout/porter/raushbier fans would probably enjoy this one.

01-01-2005 23:33:36 | More by GClarkage
becktone

2.88/5  rDev -25.2%

Eye: Looks great as it is poured into my pint glass. Color is a dark enough brown to almost be called black. Head is a creamy tan/light brown in appearance, has good retention and leaves some above average lacing.

Nose: Roasted grains and some chocolate make up the aroma of this brew. Maybe some burnt character in there as well. The milk/sweet aroma is present but is real subdued, also some smoky aroma here, reminds me kinda like the smell of chicken wrapped in bacon with a plastering of spinach ...weird huh? Yeah, whatever that aroma is, I don't find it pleasing-I guess I could describe it as a cooked vegetable type aroma, I think that is what I am really smelling in there that is so unpleasing. There are good aromas there but this off aroma just ruins it for me.

Tongue: First thing I notice here is a metallic tang, then near the end, in the finish, a hint of that cooked vegetable again. I will not deny it, I am not enjoying this beer. There are also some roasted and chocolate flavors here as well. Small hints of residual sweetness.

edit: the more I drink this the less I get that vegetable taste near the finish, the aroma however, is always there. Maybe I'm getting used to the taste, or maybe its just my head playing with me. The fact remains though, that I still am not enjoying this brew.

Mouthfeel and Drinkability: Despite the fact that I don't enjoy the flavor of this beer, it still has a good mouthfeel, spot on for what this style should be. It is creamy and velvet-like on the palate. Carbonation is lower as not to take away from the smoothness of the beer. Finish is somewhat dry with a hint of roasted/black grains. This is a beer I will not buy again, ever. It is just not for me. Every time I go to take a sip that aroma I can only describe as "cooked vegetable" makes me want to gag. I am just not into this milk stout. However, it does look appetizing and it also has a great mouthfeel.

03-04-2008 17:45:50 | More by becktone
ohoh

Sweden

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Nice 50 cl bottle (especially I love the colour of the glass) poured into pint glass.

Heavy, light brown head disappearing fast
leaving a bit of lacing. This beer is pitch black.

Doesn't smell much. I don't really expect that in a stout though.

The taste is rich and wee heavy, the maltiness not being too sweet despite the slightly high alcohol. There's not much aftertaste but it stays a while on the tongue and for the first time since opening this beer I'm enjoying it.

Feels like having something really heavy
your mouth, is this a cream stout or just old engine oil?

This is an interesting beer, but do I feel it's intriguing or just weird? I find it being somewhere between a stout and an imperial stout and, I'm sorry but, I don't like it very much.

02-23-2010 18:04:32 | More by ohoh
TheHammer

Ontario (Canada)

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Got this one from my brother at Christmas, figured I felt like a stout so I'm gonna crack this one open.

Appearance: Poured with barely an pinky of head, that did not retain at all. No lacing has been produced with this offering and to be honest the head I did get was not at all creamy like you'd expect from a stout. Body is a dark black with notes of brown.

Smell: Not much there, even after it's had a chance to warm up. What I do detect is a faint aroma of somewhat smoky malt, with a hint of dark chocolate and a faint walnut touch. I dunno, it seems far too subdued for a stout.

Taste: Starts with an incredibly mild roasted chocolate caramel taste that turns immediately to an strange taste that can best be described as roasted malt flavored milk. As it finishes the roasted malt takes over and seems to really bring the alcohol out at this point. I'd give it a 2.75 but it's just mild enough to end up on the higher end of things.

Mouthfeel: The carbonation is off, simply put. The lack of head is one thing, but the carbonation seems far too fizzy for something styled as a cream stout. Thankfully the mild roasted malt aftertaste and decent transitioning make up for it.

Drinkability: It does have one thing going for it, and that for a stout it is quite mild and that makes it a bit easier to drink. It is refreshing as well and medium bodied. I'll give it some points for that, but as a stout I usually expect them to be a bit more of a sipping beer.

Final Thoughts: Well for the most part, St. Peter's continues to disappoint me. This may be worlds better then their English ale but this offering just doesn't quite do it for me. I think fundamentally, the issue here is it comes off as milky instead of creamy. I sadly would not suggest this one.

04-09-2010 04:59:09 | More by TheHammer
MarkoNm

Slovenia

2.9/5  rDev -24.7%

Pours with a dark brown almost black color and a very small off-color head. There's virtually no bubbles present. The aroma is very gentle, some malts and some alcohol aroma. The taste is contrary to expectations not very strong, pleasantly creamy with quite some roastiness and some little coffee. Due to lack of carbo it has a slightly stale feel, but it's very drinkable and enjoyable.

12-15-2013 18:51:28 | More by MarkoNm
AVDeuph

2.95/5  rDev -23.4%

This is the first time I have had this beer, bought from Whole Foods, served in a goblet.

A: Quite black, but in smaller quantities reveals some beautiful crimson reflections.

S: Smells a bit like Guinness, not a great start. Some astringency that I don't find agreeable. A little sweaty too.

T: Some pleasant dark chocolate flavors, but not exactly the cream stout depth and sweetness that I was expecting. Some mild bitterness, and I have to say this falls more into the category of an Irish Dry Stout for me.

M: Overly carbonated. Not exactly creamy, not exactly light, not exactly unique.

D: Well as you might guess I don't find this to be the most drinkable stout. When I think of how easily I can accidentally drink all of my Founder's KBS, at 10%, it's clear that this beer is lacking.

Classic glad-I-had-it case for me.

05-05-2009 02:03:41 | More by AVDeuph
Kelp

New Hampshire

2.98/5  rDev -22.6%

Black color to the brew with a nice brown head. Decent lacing in the glass.

Faint smells of chocolate caramel malts, and coffee.

A nice sweet taste from the caramel and chocolate. I can't taste any of the coffee i smelled and there is this odd twang at the end. Almost like an IPA, definitely not my type of stout.

Decently creamy, light carbonation, and grapefruit finish.

I would try it again, but definitely wouldn't buy it.

03-25-2010 17:27:36 | More by Kelp
rickyleepotts

Arizona

I know I have had this beer before… but I don’t recall where. Or when. I knew as soon as I saw the bottle I had sipped on this brew… but again, I have no recollection of enjoying it. Or maybe I had too many and just can’t remember anything from that night!

Either way, the beer looks great in the class. It doesn’t have much of a head, and looks thick in the glass. But rumor has it this beer doesn’t drink like a typical stout. This is a “traditional” stout. Whatever that means. I do know that Guinness is a traditional stout… and I hate that beer. So I hope this beer is better. It smells better than a Guinness. Then again, a Guinness doesn’t smell (or taste) like much of anything.

There is an immediate rush to the front of your palate. Then it trickles to the back of the tongue and just sits there for a few minutes. Then fireworks go off inside your mouth as a refreshing smoothness overcomes you. It’s like going over that first hill on big fast roller coaster… in the front seat no hands! You know what I’m talking about!

The aftertaste then dies down a little, and sits there like an after dinner mint would. I always liked getting those when we used to go to Shoney’s growing up. They were half mint… half chocolate. I never knew which side I liked best, so I would just go all in.

There is NO carbonation at all. I like that, but at the same time it scares me. If a beer doesn’t have any carbonation, that means it’s drinkable. So I could just sit here and drink until the cows come home. (This is actually a milk stout… and I made a cow reference. Not on purpose at all. I promise!)

This is a good beer. I wonder if they have this on tap anywhere around here? I wonder if that would add that level of carbonation I am looking for.

06-10-2011 03:49:24 | More by rickyleepotts
lovetranquillity

Rhode Island

3.03/5  rDev -21.3%

Dark brown, almost no head and no lacing.

Artificial banana, malt, caramel, copper, vanilla, light roast coffee.

Sweet malt, medicine, milk chocolate, hints of almond, roasted, sugar crystals

High carbonation, syrupy, similar to soda.

Average drinking. Not as good as expected. Maybe the green bottle effected the taste?

I recommend to try, but I do not plan on buying again.

10-22-2010 02:14:29 | More by lovetranquillity
ChanChan

3.05/5  rDev -20.8%

Appearance: This beer is a little darker than a Cola drink. The head is one finger; it only lasts a few seconds. Lacing is minimal.

Aroma: Mostly burnt malt, some coffee and notes of baker’s chocolate, it has the aroma of a standard milk or cream stout.

Mouthfeel: Light to medium body, the carbonation allows this beer to become thicker if you let it linger in the mouth.

Taste: Malt, plain coffee, and a bit of chocolate.

Overall: This beer is not overly special, at about $5 per bottle it's better to just stick with a $10 four pack of some other cream stout, nice bottle and labeling but overall not worth its price.

05-10-2011 04:23:18 | More by ChanChan