St. Peter's Cream Stout - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's Cream StoutSt. Peter's Cream Stout

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

Milk / Sweet Stout |  6.50% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 10-02-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of St. Peter's Cream Stout Alström Bros

Villacherman, Feb 26, 2012

Cl88, Sep 08, 2012

samgarty, Dec 30, 2012
1.95/5  rDev -49.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1 | overall: 1.5

Oh my loving and generous Lord...this beer comes in the most lovely little pint bottle you ever will see, it pours OK a very dark brown with a tiny dirty white head. The smell is a little sweet with a hint of some medicine from childhood.
But the first taste was as if someone ( maybe a vile serpent) spat its venom into my mouth and then sloshed in a mouthful of week-old coffee. Maybe I am yet to learn the subtleties of a good cream stout but this concoction had me giving up beer for a week just to let my poor pallet recover and to let the blackness fade from me tongue. I paid 2.89 for a pint bottle of this beverage and I feel as if they may have fleeced the poor old country boy.

Roderick, Jul 20, 2004

BGsWo22, Mar 21, 2013

Amp, Dec 27, 2011
2.03/5  rDev -47.4%

I've walked by this beer several times in various grocery stores and flirted with the idea buying it. I finally received it over christmas and I must say that I was incredibly disappointed. It could be that this particular unit that I tried was old and had been sitting on the shelf at New Seasons for too long but somehow I doubt that. The disappointment began with very unimpressive foamy head in that there was very little of it. The smell of the beer reminded me of the smell of rubber dirty car tires. The taste overall was drinkable but very unimpressive, nothing creamy about it in fact. From the start this beer is considerably over-carbonated, however, at the end when the carbonation was significantly less which revealed a flavors that I can only describe as sub-par and actually quite unpleasant. "Resist the temptation and avoid" is what I tell my friends about this beer.

beervana1858, Jan 03, 2010
2.05/5  rDev -46.9%

Reviewed 3/22/2006 (16.9oz bottle):

Pours a dark black color body, with almost no head, tan-colored. Has a strong aroma of coffee, mocha, some chocolate, some hops. Very fizzy, taste of coffe, chocolate, slight pale bitter aftertaste. Light texture, not thick.

jujubeast6000, Dec 19, 2008
2.15/5  rDev -44.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 1.5

UK-sized bottle served slightly chilled in a pint glass.

Appearance: It's got that jet black color we've come to expect from a stout. Leaves a decent amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell: I'm reminded of soy sauce and pet food on first impression. Second impression yields the same, with faint additions of carob and coffee.

Taste: Well, the Alpo stops here. Biscuit and chocolatey malts dominate the palate. Coffee and malty bitterness on the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a fullish presence in the mouth, one that would be expected from a stout.

Drinkability: Umm... nope. I'll pass on another. The only thing that consumes comestibles that reek of pet food in this household is my cat*

*and me when I'm drunk and have no food lying around but Iams.

ManekiNeko, Jun 12, 2004
2.2/5  rDev -43%

Very dark black, but you can see it's clear against the light, catching it brown in the corners. Very thin head retains a cover over the top of my etched nonic pint. Aroma is roasty and, you guessed it, creamy and light. This is more than just a stout aroma; I also get some barley in there that's not charred or roasted, indicating some depth to the taste. The cream definitely manifests itself as sweet with the slightest hint of vanilla, but is washed away quickly by the bitter dark malt and a metallic taste. This is definitely one of the lightest stouts I've had in terms of mouthfeel, finish is slightly dry.

This is entirely too metallic and it stays in the back of your mouth. No me gusta.

Philousa, Aug 29, 2012
2.23/5  rDev -42.2%

I am going to have to go against the grain here and not recommend this beer. The appearance is very used motor oily with zero head and still less lacing. Smell is worse, a hint of coffee and cocoa malt and then a sour cream smell. (not actual sour cream but cream that went sour). Taste is very similar to the smell, but the with a bit less of the unsugared cocoa taste. Mouthfeel is fine for the style. Drinkability is not there.

supercolter, Jan 23, 2007
2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

sjrodriguez, Aug 13, 2014
2.25/5  rDev -41.7%

Crank78, Oct 16, 2012
2.28/5  rDev -40.9%

I was excited about this one- it was a great looking brew on the pour- velvety black with a nice tan head and great aromas- bittersweet chocolate, cool clean malts and a hint of toasted bread. The actual taste was another story- flavors were weak and extremely unappetizing. The malts were not present, snor was there any sweet creaminess, or body to speak of- the body was surpisingly light and watered down. The flavor of burnt chocolate permeated the entire beer from beginning to end- the only departure was a bitter hop splash at the end which could not save this harsh stout. I'll stick to my Mackeson's.

kernalklink, Aug 26, 2007
2.3/5  rDev -40.4%

A- Pitch black with a tan head. Small head on a hard pour and that disappears quickly. Nothing special.

S- Sweet anise and a medicinal flavor. I like neither.

T- Ugh ... first sip I got all anise and a buttery (diacetyl) finish. Let it warm a bit ... Nope, not getting better.

M- Quite thin for such a dark beer, especially a stout. Not much mouthfeel to note.

O- I am not digging this beer- It's like drinking liquid licorice to me and I don't like licorice.

imasloth, Nov 26, 2011
2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

jjm2503, Jun 01, 2012
2.5/5  rDev -35.2%

golfchance, Aug 03, 2013
2.63/5  rDev -31.9%

St. Peters models itself as the classic image of the English brewery, drawing from its locale and surrounding environment to spin together a truly English brew. It's the image Americans seek as they sojourn around the English countryside, hunting for the uber-local beers that distinguish one pub from another. The bottle and label for St. Peters' line of beers adds to this local and Anglo-Saxon flavor, and to be honest, the flavor too. The flavor is sweet and cloying, though without the dark chocolate malts or roasted flavors I typically associated with stouts and their style off-shoots. This is sweet and light, packed with scents of sugary grapes and cough medicine. For those beer drinkers who enjoy well-operated historical events and museums, this tastes like something you'd receive as a sample to illustrate what the original root beer recipe tasted like. I even imagined it tasting like an old-timey panacea, curing all your aches, pains and even stubborn cases of polio. The flavor has a similar taste, with sassafras and the raw herbal quality of a homemade root beer. It's a singular taste, but one I'm unaccustomed to, with a palate and flavor that distinguish this beer as an old-fashioned flavor looking to impact modern palates.

GarrettB, Sep 14, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -31.3%

I was expecting quite a bit as I'm a huge fan of their porter, which is just scrumptious.

The nose of this stout is raisin with a hint of dried, sweet citrus.

Pours near black with a small head that doesn't linger very long.

Taste is alcohol backbone with a slight sweetness and the heat from that alcohol is what stands out. I've tasted American stouts that are twice as smooth and flavorful for the abv here(out of bounds and a few others come to mind). I'm not impressed here. It seems as if their porter will be the only 'go-to' beer from this brewery for me. A bit too sour in the aftertaste... I may have to revisit once just to make sure this isn't dated, but I purchased it from a high volume sales craft beer store(riverside bev in chatt, tn).

Supremely disappointed considering what I could've bought with this 4 bucks. Let's hear it for the good ol' u.s.a. - who has proven they are the new stout kings of the planet. This watery, alcohol ridden, oversweet-mess can stay on the other side of the pond for all i care. I just can't get over the sourness of this beer. It's like someone took a good American stout and poured a Coor's Light silver bullet into it...

witster18, May 15, 2011
2.65/5  rDev -31.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Thanks to Amyliz4 for the bottle. Served in a wine glass.

Pours black with a slight head and quite a few moderately-sized bubbles. Head recedes quickly without leaving too much lacing behind. The nose has a pretty strong buttery component; another off flavor is not what I need from this brewery after the Pale Ale. There is some slight roast and chocolate as well, so at least there's something to cover the diacetyl up a bit. I'm not that fortunate with the taste, as this is more buttery than the nose, though there still is a slight roast component that shows up. Somewhat dry finish with a bit of a buttery mouth-coating component. Not something I would try again.

Thorpe429, Jan 24, 2011
2.68/5  rDev -30.6%

Poured into a Sam Adams glass--nice thick brown head, almost black body. Head largely dissipates pretty quickly, but enough stays. This is a good looking beer.

A nice, toasted smell comes through. Looks and smells good. Looking forward to the tasting, so here goes...

A bit disappointing. Sour to start, then bitter. Coffee and dark chocolate hints at the end, but not enough to save this taste--it's, well, okay. It's layered and complex, but depth doesn't substitute for quality.

Which leads us to mouthfeel, which is lacking. It's watery and acrid. The balance is off--if this were a more traditional milk stout (or cream stout), it wouldn't be quite as tart, but unfortunately, it isn't.

I'm having trouble finishing the one bomber I started. I can't imagine trying to down another. In fact, this beer may have ruined me for the night. Was worth a try and had high hopes, but that's where it ends.

Kooz, Jun 14, 2011

Evango, Jun 27, 2014

SonOfKyuss, Jun 02, 2013

apanloco, Jul 07, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -27.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Yet another in my series of INFAMOUS! on the spot reviews!!!!

Lets see now, when i pour this beer i get the feeling that its very evil. It goes into the glass with a jet black color and creamy brown head. The head dissipates fairly quickly with absoloutly no lacing at all.

The smell is a bit strong of alchohol. Faint notes of chocolate, seep through but mostly just alchohol.

The taste...well its not much different than the smell really. Heavy alchoholic flavor with backround notes of chocolate..and i do mean BACKROUND.

Very creamy but also very light for a stout. Not a whole lot of carbonation which is what i would expect.

Still a drinkable beer though. Goes down smooth, no bitter aftertaste. I might get this once in a while as something different but overall, i have other milk or cream stouts id rather be drinking.

blatherbeard, Mar 04, 2009