St. Peter's India Pale Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's India Pale AleSt. Peter's India Pale Ale

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006)
Reviews by elNopalero:
4.4/5  rDev +30.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This comes in an iconic ‘medicine’ bottle, tinted green, which is either a selling point or a cheap gimmick, depending on how you feel. That said, I’m entering this beer experience with no preconceptions, other than a hearty recommendation that finally convinced me to give it a try.

Gave this a hearty pour into a nonic pint glass. Received a healthy amount of foam initially that gradually died down to a solid finger’s worth of cushioning. The beer itself poured a golden-amber color, like dark honey almost, and just as murky. I found this surprising for an IPA as I expected more clarity. It’s not cloudy, and it’s not really murky, but it does appear to be similar to an unfiltered ale. Curious.

There’s a wonderful aroma to this. Very strong, as I can pick it up almost an arm’s length away. It’s very sweet, very pleasing, very soft and floral. I pick up a lot of honey (clove?) and a little malt biscuit. It’s delicious, just the aroma alone, and so enticing.
The taste is incredibly pleasant, as agreeable as the aroma. It’s nothing at all like what I’d expect from an IPA. Certainly my palate has been conditioned to expect, crisp, floral, and above all hoppy IPAs (West Coast hop bombs, anyone?) but this defies those expectations. The beer starts out smooth, and (again) sweet, then there’s this mellow middle and a sharp yet muted hop finish that begs for another sip. Some orange, a lot of zest. The kind of sweetness you might find in a double IPA, only without the chewy mouthfeel I associate with it. The carbonation sticks out, for it’s the closest a bottled beer that I’ve had in recent memory has reminded me of the better bitters I’ve had on hand-pump. In the same spirit I will say that the beer holds its own as it warms, releasing more of its malty sweetness. Definitely serve at its proper temperature as you’ll miss some of the nuances when it’s poured at refrigerator temperature.

I could share this with my beer geek friends and those who would never drink an IPA alike and I think both camps would be as happy as I am with it. It’s not a terribly complex beer, but it is incredibly delicious and drinkable. I poured half of my bottle to drink, saving the second half to finish with dinner. Instead, I let my meal get cold while I finished the rest of the beer. Not that it wouldn’t pair well, I just didn’t want anything else to distract from the flavor of this beer. Savored the pint over the course of an hour. It’s going to be hard to follow this one up with anything else I have available tonight. Delicious.

Revisited:
Saw a stamp on the back “11 03”. Made me wish I checked the first time I had this.

Definitely picking up a more pronounced hop profile on this bottle. The first time I had it I thought it was excellent, but not anything like the West Coast hop bomb IPA style that I’ve grown accustomed to—tho’ it did make me imagine that this was what a British-style (perhaps cask conditioned) IPA was actually like. Now I’m thinking the first bottle I had was just plain old. Thankfully not skunked. This is still great, but now with hops! Very citrusy, refreshing, light but flavorful hops.

2.95/5  rDev -12.5%

I raise this pint glass to Glenn "BO" Schembechler,this poured a dull light light golden with a thin wispy head seems to be very lightly carbonated."Full bodied and generously hopped pale ale" per label,hmm wrong on both counts in my mind thin almost watery mouthfeel not much carbonation to give it any life the hop profile is light and more herbal than anything,a decent toasted malt base is there with a touch of sweetness.Eh pretty boring and not enjoyable,I expected more from a pretty good English brewer.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Part of my Up Rising at Novare Res.

Pour into a britis stine.

the beer is pale golded and hinter of amber. The head is frothy and sticky white.

the nose is sweet and earthy, classic EIPA. There are hints of orange marmalade genaric floral hops.

The Taste is great maly sweet to start but the orange and earth hops punch thorugh an make a wonderfull flavor. I'm not sur why this beer is rated a 70. After looking at the top EIPAs I dont see a 4 aside from Three Floyds( hyped no doubt).

Overall a great beer

1.45/5  rDev -57%

Pours a nice golden with a big rocky head. Aroma is overpowering skunk with some hops in there somewhere. Taste is skunk with some mild floral hops. This beer comes in a really cool bottle. The bottle is the best thing it has going for it. Unfortunately, they need to change the color of the bottle. Painful drinking.

3.08/5  rDev -8.6%

very cool old-styl bottle. A mild English IPA. Orange pour with sediment and an average white head. Musty aroma with some flowers and grass. Watery taste of hops, earth, and light pine. Wanted so much more. Just another "organic" beer gone awry.

3.53/5  rDev +4.7%

Presentation: 16.9 oz bottle

Appearance: Half finger light colored head. Quick retention Light golden amber with very faint off pink hues.

Smell: Not a strong smelling beer. Gives off an aromatic and slightly citric crisp smell.

Taste: Lightly malted with a well balanced and mellow hops profile. Almost crisp with a clean and fast finish. After taste doesn't last long.

Mouthfeel: Smooth and a little creamy for an IPA. goes down very easy.

Drinkability: I'd guess this one's probably not too high in abv. Easy to drink.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of Dec 2011. ABV is stated as 5.5%. The olive green bottle has an antique design, but is round rather than oval. A beer to celebrate IPA day!

Poured into a Sam Smith's glass. A rich golden-amber colour with low carbonation and good clarity. Yields a large off-white head of creamy foam that lasts for a couple of minutes before subsiding. Aroma of stewed hops/leaves with a backbone of caramel malt and a hint of ethanol and diacetyl.

Tastes of slightly sweet malt with a dry bitter finish. Notes of stewed hops, caramel/toffee and some buttery diacetyl in the background. Also a hint of alcohol/solvent. Hops are pleasantly bitter, but not aromatic. Mouthfeel is smooth, slick and tingly. Quite astringent. Aftertaste of bitter stewed hops.

A pretty good IPA in keeping with the English style, and nicely balanced. I wish it had more aromatic hops to round out the bitterness. The diacetyl is palatable but a bit of a flaw. Worth trying, but I reckon there are better examples out there.

2.76/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.5

As a huge fan of IPAs, I have to say I was pretty disappointed by this beer. Not a great hop presence, the dominant flavor was a sort of dry, smoky malt flavor that just felt very out of place in an IPA.

Appearance: Decent. A nice strong looking amber, very transparent. The head was definitely a little foamier than most other IPAs I've had, but the lacing was good.

Smell: Not a whole lot of hops in the smell which was my first indication that the St. Peter's wasn't what I was looking for. Sort of a subdued fruity smell.

Taste: In my personal opinion, not very good at all. Super malty, especially for an IPA. Very little hoppiness, and didn't have the spicy kick you usually get with beers of this style. Sort of old-fashioned tasting, which some people might appreciate, but I found it very off-putting. Tasted a lot more like a Scotch ale.

Mouthfeel: Not great. Very dry, not a lot of body to it. Emphasized the smoky elements of the malt flavor.

My opinion of this beer may have been tainted by the fact that I was looking for a more modern, American IPA and this wasn't it, but you should definitely be warned that this is pretty far from what most people think of when they think of an IPA. Not an awful beer necessarily, but perhaps a little misleading.

2.5/5  rDev -25.8%

3.45/5  rDev +2.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy orange-copper body, thin white head, not much retention.

S: The smell of a loaf of fresh-baked bread filled the room as soon as I poured it. As it warms up I get biscuit, orange, and must.

T: Fairly malty. Definitely less bitter than an AIPA, but still a lot of citrus, more than I was expecting. Bitterness only really shows up at the end.

M: Not super carbonated but still very smooth. Dry on the back end.

It was a good beer, but not one I'm in a hurry to get again.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A normal yellow body with a foaming, disapearing white head. Smells like cheese, uh oh but could still be a decent bitterness. And it is. Medium mouthfeel.Understated carbonation.A little sugary sweetness. Drinkable English IPA, but nothing exceptional.

3.3/5  rDev -2.1%

A dull straw. Nice thick pillowy head. Good retention. Sticky lacings.

Sort of strange aroma. A light hoppiness, kind of citrussy. Somewhat unpleasant sweetness behind.

Buttery malt up front but only lasts for a second. Astringent bitterness takes over pretty quickly. Bitter with with a lemon tinge to it. Fairly strong hoppy aftertaste.

Very strange take on an EIPA. Balance makes the English IPA one of my fave styles but this is out of wack, very difficult to nail down the malt.

2.75/5  rDev -18.4%

Decent copper, with very little carbonation.

Aroma is mild, without much hoppy character. Disappointing.

Hmm. The bottle is green, with no detectable freshness date. I think this one was past it's days, as the shop I got it from couldn't verify the age, either. Anyway, on with the review...

Some bitterness in the tasting, otherwise kind of maple-like, acidic. Likely past it's prime, and barely even drinkable in this state. Beware of aged & light-struck bottles.

3.25/5  rDev -3.6%

Fine, but surprisingly uninteresting beer from this top-grade brewer. Lacks sharpness and intrigue of more floral/American hops. Tastes like standard pub draught fare.

3.75/5  rDev +11.3%

3.65/5  rDev +8.3%

It took me a minute, but now I see this as a legitimate IPA. The hops are mellow and will slowly grow on you as you drink this one.

The appearance is a clear golden amber with thick lacing and head retention. It's smells of sweet, creamy English yeast character. The malt is a very subtle caramel and then grassy and herbal hops kick with with a touch of citrus and then the candy-like yeast flavors. Very smooth drinking and a fine session beer. My only knocks are that there's no hops in the aroma and that the flavor is a little mild.

4.15/5  rDev +23.1%

Pours a somewhat effervescent & hazed amber with 3+ fingers of rocky cream colored head, gushed a bit. Very good head retention & good lacing

S: Herbal & leafy hops up front. I get breadyness once warm

T: Leafy hops, some caramel, breadyness & lemony & grapefruit hops up front. Slight jammy fruittyness with more citric & leafy hops as this warms. Finishes dry, a bit fruitty, somewhat bready & lemony

MF: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation with very good balance

Drinks very easy, not the best put together EIPA there is, but pretty damn good. A little more malt presence finesse with the hopping is what the doctor ordered. If this were an AIPA, I'd knock those down a few .5s to 1 points, people need to drink some EIPAs at the source to understand the English don't usually subscribe to the more is better philosophy, think restraint & finesse

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd