St. Peter's India Pale Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

St. Peter's India Pale AleSt. Peter's India Pale Ale

St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd visit their website
United Kingdom (England)

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  4.90% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006)
forsport

Oregon

St Peter's IPA gives a hit to our friends in the New World how this style of beer appeared in the first place, to preserve it through harsh shipping envoirments. Hops make great presevatives and while it is not as hoppy as an IPA from Oregon it will please with its assertive profile.

12-01-2009 03:49:19 | More by forsport
MONKandTUCK

After reading reviews, I gathered that this one is more of what an ESB should be, rather than anything Americans have become accustomed to identifying as an IPA. I also gathered that the hops and sweetness were out of whack, but I jumped at the chance to try a session beer that is uncompromisingly classic British.

I didn't make my purchase expecting to be blown away. It was more about the experience of experiencing something different. Maybe it's not sooo "different", but I have been blown away!

A- poured into a La Trappe goblet is appears a deep and glowing amber nearly transparent. The depth suggests a malty beer, but it moves fairly freely. It's capped by a cloud of froth. Very appetizing.

A- Here's a two for one. It begins smelling the way the roses I just bought for my mother OUGHT to smell. Very floral, to the point of passing for perfume. As the beer warms, and the flavors settle, a toasted bread aroma prevails. The scent of buttered fresh bread floods the nose, and then a hint of mustiness creeps in to give the scent extra life. Some esters associated with English ales peek through, as well.
In some ways this beer smells like a Trippel before the yeast sting.

T- Juicy as much as malty. Far, far more like an American Pale Ale than the standard English Bitter. The hops are biting, but not offensive. The malt flavor will emerge as the beer rises towards room temperature, but never achieves the chewiness of German Lagers. The hops are too familiar, so I suspect the English varietals have influenced American breeds that much, or some American hops were utilized. Bitterness spikes in the finish, but the beer remains very well put together. I have had American Pale Ales that were stronger, but far flabbier.

The malt balance of this beer is exemplary of perfection. Hops are showcased (without violating any sense of acceptability), but the malt holds more status than merely a serving as a vehicle for featuring hop decadence. The malt is enjoyable, and as the beer drinks, the malt's aroma, mouthfeel and aroma don't simply hold the beer together, they cause it to standout.

M- Fullness: this beer's hallmark character. For all the flavor and relatively insubstantial ABV, this beer manages to provide a body that carries the depth of flavor and finish dry. It's similar to the consummate Lager.

O- I feel this beer's labeling does it more injustice than the marketing manager could have ever perceived. Perhaps most grab this off the shelf expecting an irregularity. They hope it'll be a relic of the past, or an answer to check a dominating trend. It's not that at all and it doesn't have to be. It's unfortunate if many were left disappointed after hopes were dashed. But for those who pick this beer open to whatever it might hold as a beer, they will be very pleased. It's easy drinking, and profoundly enjoyable.
It remains session strength and doesn't threaten to incapacitate the palate. It's just enough, and for that it leaves me wanting more, more, more!

I should add: I first became aware of St. Peter's when I saw their Porter... at the time I was drinking a lot of Belgian Strong Pale Ales and Tripples. In that light, the porter was roasty, full-bodied and sweet. Since then, I've found it think and nearly insipid. I don't dislike it, but I prefer fuller-bodied examples of the style. That demonstrates how relative tastes can be.
St. Peter's IPA has far exceeded their other products, in my book. I count this, now, among my favorite beers.

7/24

07-24-2011 17:24:42 | More by MONKandTUCK
Offa

4.58/5  rDev +35.1%

This is a tasty English IPA.

Hazy light amber, it has a huge off-white head slowly shrinking to a permanent rocky head and leaving some nice creamy lace.

The aroma is nice yeasty bread, bread crust, more yeast, citrus (lemon, orange, grapefruit together), and marmalade/jam.

The taste is jam, especially orange marmalade, fruit, citrus (lemon and orange), yeastiness, sweetness with a bitterness that grows towards the finish, which is dryish, lightly bitter, with citrus, fruit, and toast.

04-02-2009 23:25:20 | More by Offa

Italy

06-27-2014 19:51:48 | More by hoppecatania
yesyouam

4.47/5  rDev +31.9%

St. Peter's India Pale Ale is an amazing looking beer. It's a perfect hazy amber ale with a thick, fluffy beige head that leaves a dense layer of foam on the glass as it recedes to a frothy, clumpy, oily custard of a head. The retention is eternal. The aroma is a bit muted by the head, but stir it up and you'll uncover a sweet grassy note that's very smooth. There is orange peel and a dusty malt backdrop. It smells a bit like a cave. It's smooth, soft and medium bodied with a crisp finish. Just right. The flavor is well balanced. The malt is like crackers, maybe Ak-Mak. Dry wood and black peppercorns blend with coriander, curacao and bergamot. All of these flavors are very tightly blended. It is very reasonably bittered-- maybe 40-45 IBU. The aftertaste is pretty long. This is an excellent beer. Have it with palak paneer and naan!
(rated Dec 25, 2007)

12-20-2008 05:31:16 | More by yesyouam
Absumaster

Netherlands

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%

An orange, copper beer with a settling English head. Little visible carbination.

Smell is just delicious, a raw hoppy smell that is backed up or almost overruled by a wort-like maltiness. Kind of sweet and bready like pale malt.

Taste is sweet and full of malt. The bready and light husky taste combines really well with the English hoppiness. This is just an amazing beer, with everything British in it. The malt is fitting the hops so well and I can't wrap my head around this beer being only 5,5%. It tastes so much stronger and has so much taste. OK, mouthfeel is just a little sweet, but this adds to the maltiness. Great UK beer!

01-31-2009 17:15:32 | More by Absumaster
elNopalero

4.4/5  rDev +29.8%

This comes in an iconic ‘medicine’ bottle, tinted green, which is either a selling point or a cheap gimmick, depending on how you feel. That said, I’m entering this beer experience with no preconceptions, other than a hearty recommendation that finally convinced me to give it a try.

Gave this a hearty pour into a nonic pint glass. Received a healthy amount of foam initially that gradually died down to a solid finger’s worth of cushioning. The beer itself poured a golden-amber color, like dark honey almost, and just as murky. I found this surprising for an IPA as I expected more clarity. It’s not cloudy, and it’s not really murky, but it does appear to be similar to an unfiltered ale. Curious.

There’s a wonderful aroma to this. Very strong, as I can pick it up almost an arm’s length away. It’s very sweet, very pleasing, very soft and floral. I pick up a lot of honey (clove?) and a little malt biscuit. It’s delicious, just the aroma alone, and so enticing.
The taste is incredibly pleasant, as agreeable as the aroma. It’s nothing at all like what I’d expect from an IPA. Certainly my palate has been conditioned to expect, crisp, floral, and above all hoppy IPAs (West Coast hop bombs, anyone?) but this defies those expectations. The beer starts out smooth, and (again) sweet, then there’s this mellow middle and a sharp yet muted hop finish that begs for another sip. Some orange, a lot of zest. The kind of sweetness you might find in a double IPA, only without the chewy mouthfeel I associate with it. The carbonation sticks out, for it’s the closest a bottled beer that I’ve had in recent memory has reminded me of the better bitters I’ve had on hand-pump. In the same spirit I will say that the beer holds its own as it warms, releasing more of its malty sweetness. Definitely serve at its proper temperature as you’ll miss some of the nuances when it’s poured at refrigerator temperature.

I could share this with my beer geek friends and those who would never drink an IPA alike and I think both camps would be as happy as I am with it. It’s not a terribly complex beer, but it is incredibly delicious and drinkable. I poured half of my bottle to drink, saving the second half to finish with dinner. Instead, I let my meal get cold while I finished the rest of the beer. Not that it wouldn’t pair well, I just didn’t want anything else to distract from the flavor of this beer. Savored the pint over the course of an hour. It’s going to be hard to follow this one up with anything else I have available tonight. Delicious.

Revisited:
Saw a stamp on the back “11 03”. Made me wish I checked the first time I had this.

Definitely picking up a more pronounced hop profile on this bottle. The first time I had it I thought it was excellent, but not anything like the West Coast hop bomb IPA style that I’ve grown accustomed to—tho’ it did make me imagine that this was what a British-style (perhaps cask conditioned) IPA was actually like. Now I’m thinking the first bottle I had was just plain old. Thankfully not skunked. This is still great, but now with hops! Very citrusy, refreshing, light but flavorful hops.

09-16-2011 18:20:12 | More by elNopalero
ectomorph

Tennessee

4.38/5  rDev +29.2%

Great old style green medicine bottle into a pint glass.

A - Hazy orange and gold in color with a sticky white head that caught me by surprise. Frothy.

S - Not what I was expecting. Spicy hop scent is followed by a sweetness. Not a mega hopped IPA.

T - Again, the spicy hop, not bitter but a sweet spice. A different malt backbone as well. An 'English' take on the India Pale Ale and I like it.

M - More head and body than most IPA's, this a plus.

D - Very high, I'm a big fan of this brew and St. Peter's in general.

09-03-2008 20:39:53 | More by ectomorph
joecast

Australia

4.35/5  rDev +28.3%

500ml bottle. 5.5% abv best before 9/2011

Crystal clear light golden/amber color. Thin, just off white head. Medium carbonation. Nothing spectacular in the appearance but the important parts are yet to come.

Big honey and floral aroma. Surprisingly syrupy and malty sweet. Feel like I should drizzle this on my pancakes at breakfast. Nice but not in the way I expected.

Big malty sweet flavor with a pleasant hop hit. Probably at the limit of balance between drinkability and still having enough going on to make it interesting. Really nice spicy hop presence.

Well well well. This beer really delivers where it has to. Seriously enjoyable and well made. Reinforcing my admiration for English ales, especially the ipa.

05-17-2011 09:45:28 | More by joecast
TheSarge

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

This pours slighly hazy, and is pretty clear when compared to other IPAs that I've tried. It produces a brillliant white thin head, and lacing sticks well to the side of the glass all the way through.

This smells rich in hops, but is well balanced with the malt. I can detect the slight floral aromas consistant with a brew in the IPA category.

Very tasty. Full of bonus hop presence that I couldn't quite detect through aroma.

This finishes a little warm and is quite clean.

02-10-2007 16:30:55 | More by TheSarge
velkyal

4.33/5  rDev +27.7%

Sight - amber with a definite orange, small white head

Smell - bitter orange peel, faint caramel

Taste - sweet maltiness, spicy hops, mellow citrus

Sweet - 3/5
Bitter - 3.5/5

What a nice beer this is! Seriously, it is delicious, an excellent balance between the hops and malt, both kind of up and in your face, but neither dominating so much as to make it either sickly or like sucking lemons, there is a noticeably bitter aftertaste which I really enjoyed. A beautiful beer.

06-10-2010 12:40:37 | More by velkyal
Ricochet

4.28/5  rDev +26.3%

Good pour with head that stayed and foamy lace, clear amber with minimum carbonation. Didn't really detect a scent, maybe some of the malt that made this a little fruitiness, but nothing to attract. This is the second St Peters variety I've tried and mouth feel is up there with the best. The hops explode with a bitterness with a creaminess in the body and wash with the right amount of aftertaste. Taste was, very good. I'd imagine this is kind of an authentic flavor rather than an Americanized flavor, so for that, I'd say outstanding. There was a slight hint of licorice, hop bitterness rounded and alcohol had it's punch at the end. Slight grapefruit note.

Wow. This was an impressive IPA. It's not a hop bomb like some of the better American IPAs, but this seems to be a pub IPA, and if I was across the water, this would be a good pint to drink for the night.

02-11-2007 05:50:04 | More by Ricochet
JoshuaJ

4.25/5  rDev +25.4%

Poured a light copper with a great head and great lacing that lasted all the way down.

Smells of citrusy hops, mostly grapefruit and pine, some sweet malts.

The hops get you up front, then it fades to sweet then the hops come back with a quick kick. Very citrusy and refreshing. You can taste some grains, but for the most part, it's very well balanced. This was also a bit flatter, carbonation-wise, than I've had before, but I couldn't find a freshness date.

Drinkibility is high. Were it not for the price, this would be a fantastic session brew, what with the superb quality and low ABV.

Goes especially well with fusilli in fresh pesto and tempeh.

05-24-2009 14:09:03 | More by JoshuaJ

Croatia (Hrvatska)

01-29-2014 20:29:40 | More by hansavijaticar
Braudog

4.22/5  rDev +24.5%

I love the unique St Peter’s bottles; I feel like I’m medicating myself. Anyway, this poured a nicely active bright orange brew with just a thin veil of white bubbles. The lightly hoppy aroma is nice ... summer-time flowers. The first swallow is sharply bitter, much starker than an American IPA. This is woody and tangy more than the citric fruitiness we Yanks have come to expect from a beer labeled IPA, unfairly. With a solid malt undertow and a nicely balanced bitterness, I feel this is a very under-rated offering. Quite good in my book. (#2688, 2/6/2007)

02-07-2007 01:05:39 | More by Braudog
CAMRAhardliner

Ontario (Canada)

4.2/5  rDev +23.9%

Bottle says 5.5% ABV.

Pours a yellow gold color with a bit of haze and a filmy, persistent head. Not much lace sticks to the glass. The aroma is doughy and a bit spicey. Tartness shows in the background. The first thing I pick up in the taste is lemony Goldings bitterness. Grainy malt is abundantly present and provides a good balance. Grassyness and some diacetyl show as the beer warms. The mouthfeel is light and minimally carbonated. Citrusy, earthy hops linger in the finish.

This beer is an homage to English hops. Its not a hop bomb, much more subtle, but pretty bold nonetheless by English standards.

11-05-2008 07:10:25 | More by CAMRAhardliner
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

Pours a somewhat effervescent & hazed amber with 3+ fingers of rocky cream colored head, gushed a bit. Very good head retention & good lacing

S: Herbal & leafy hops up front. I get breadyness once warm

T: Leafy hops, some caramel, breadyness & lemony & grapefruit hops up front. Slight jammy fruittyness with more citric & leafy hops as this warms. Finishes dry, a bit fruitty, somewhat bready & lemony

MF: Medium bodied with moderate carbonation with very good balance

Drinks very easy, not the best put together EIPA there is, but pretty damn good. A little more malt presence finesse with the hopping is what the doctor ordered. If this were an AIPA, I'd knock those down a few .5s to 1 points, people need to drink some EIPAs at the source to understand the English don't usually subscribe to the more is better philosophy, think restraint & finesse

01-30-2008 05:08:20 | More by russpowell
vancurly

Australia

4.15/5  rDev +22.4%

BB 02JUN09

a) Clear amber orange. Heavy offwhite head which maintains 1cm throughout the glass. Good bubbling.
s) Marmalade, apricots & lemonade
f) Lovely dance of flavours, including spicy citrus hop notes, biscuity malt and stone fruit. Toast, pine, herbs. Firm bitterness balances the mild sweetness.
m) Starts of lightly, before developing a light creaminess, curtailed by the bitter finish. Fairly delicate, yet balanced.
d) Lovely drink, interesting notes, and easy to drink several.

01-19-2009 03:54:12 | More by vancurly