St. Peter's India Pale Ale - St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-08-2006

Ratings: 313 | Reviews: 195
3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A good old fashioned type beer that is solid enough but better IPA's out there

aroma: spicy-citrus-malt

taste: spicy-citrus-malt but gets a bigger malt flavour and a greater richness once it warms up. Also has some hints of dark fruit when it has warmed up

nice enough but have had better. I Like a good malty English IPA but this one lacked something in the aroma and flavour.

3.57/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Hazy, and dark gold. Hoping the haziness is due to dry hopping and not something else. The white head is tightly beaded and smooth at first, but pops and melts into a faint film in less than 30 seconds.

Smell: Refreshing citrus and floral hops, with toasted malt not far behind. Honeyed bread comes forward as the beer warms, as does some diacetyl, which is acceptable for the style.

Taste: Medium bitterness lingers into the finish, but does not overpower the malt, which starts out roasty on the tongue due to the bitterness, then dies down to reveal a grainy, buttered bread character. The layered malt tastes are interesting, but the amount of diacetyl verges on being too much, even for this style. Still, I declare this beer to be tasty, for sure!

Mouthfeel: Medium-light body. Smooth, yet well carbonated. Dry finish, but not astringent. Excellent at first, but as the beer warms, the diacetyl makes itself known in the mouthfeel as well. A slick, butter-coated feel distracts and detracts.

Overall: A beer I'd have again. Tasty, toasty, and enjoyable. Still, the bitterness could be more pronounced for the style, and the diacetyl is this close to being a fault. It lends itself to the beer to a point, however, giving off a cozy, buttered toast impression.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Appearance: Pretty amber. Quickly dissipating head. Very light lace remains.
Smell: Biscuits, honey, very light citrus.
Taste: Floral, malty, hint of citrus, and slightly bitter aftertaste.
Mouthfeel: Bittering carbonation.

This is certainly an unusual one. It's different than any English IPA I've ever had. In fact, it tastes more like a German lager to me. It's enjoyable, but I wouldn't give it to someone wanting an EIPA experience. However, there is no question that the most wonderful thing about this beer is the gorgeous, flask-shaped bottle that contains it. I probably won't get it again.

3.38/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Poured into a perfect pint.

4.0 A: Clear light orange color. One and a half fingers of frothy off-white head. Retention is about average and tons of lacing is left behind.

3.5 S: This is a weird one. Instead of hops taking the stage, there's a strong mineral component with a secondary lemon. Under that you find earthy and herbal hops. A touch of caramel, toastiness, and grainy malts. Not bad.

3.25 T: The taste also makes me question whether this is really an IPA. It's only mildly bitter without much hoppiness otherwise. The focus is again mineral and light fruits. Toasty, grainy malts and caramel.

3.5 M: Medium body. Good moderate carbonation. Lightly creamy.

3.25 D: Good enough and hits the spot if you are in the mood for something English.

St. Peter’s India Pale Ale has a medium, soapy, slightly off-white head and a mostly clear (yet, with a descending cloud, when the bottom of the bottle is swished and poured in), orange-gold appearance. The aroma is faint, but one can pick up some light breadiness and a pit of hop zing. Taste is of sweet, mild, white bread and a nicely hopped bitterness, although not nearly as intense as an American IPA. Mouthfeel is medium and soft and slick, and St. Peter’s IPA finishes semi-dry, refreshing, sweet, and ultra-drinkable. Overall, this is a wonderful beer, and I rate it as being most excellent. Check it out!

RJt

2.65/5  rDev -21.4%

500ml green bottle into tulip snifter.
from notes.

Pours a medium brown with faint gold tinges and a thin white head.

Taste and aroma is grassy, faintly floral hops, with some earthy, herbal notes. No bottle dating that I can find, though I suspect this one may be a bit old for the style. Biscuit, malty backing.

Medium body, with average prickly carbonation.

I see the potential in this to be a pleasant, solid English IPA, but unfortunately with no easy way for me to guarantee a fresh bottle it's really not worth the risk, and even fresh I don't know that it would be really anything great.

3.5/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a tulip glass, unknown bottled date. This pours a slightly hazy brownish color with a smaller med lived head which leaves a lacing. There is a little green bottle skunk, rubbery smell, lots of malt, little hops. The feel is medium. The taste is okay, you have the skunk funk, some weird bitterness, but not quality hop bitterness followed by some malts.

3.33/5  rDev -1.2%

This was another brew my brother in law brought over before my Oktoberfest party. Although, like previously mentioned, it was an unusual offering for a German themed party, I still drank it while I was setting up. Poured from the bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance - Cloudy pour of orange-rust colored brew is topped with a minimal head that leaves little to no lacing and only sticks around for a second.

Smell - Funky, skunky British style hoppiness, with some biscuity malts and toastiness as well. Certainly a unique nose, especially if you are used to AIPA's. In line with the style, just different.

Taste - Some fruits with the breads and biscuity flavors. Hops are pretty subdued, even to someone who is not a hop head. Par for the course on a British style. Buttery with a skunky kick.

Mouthfeel - Light, watery, thin...little aftertaste, a little skunkiness

Overall - There just isn't much to say about this brew. It's not bad, per se, but it certainly isn't good. Not recommended to even try, if you have to pay for it. I think if you try it once, you'll decide that is enough. Just not interesting at all.

3.63/5  rDev +7.7%

500ml bottle served in a Pint glass.

A: Pours a reddish copper color forming a medium creamy and charming yellow head. Good retention and tons of foamy lacings formed end left in the glass

S: Skunky British style hops and caramel malts, mainly. Sweet toffee. Ale yeasts

T: Follows the nose, sweet toffee upfront. Caramel malts, citrus fruits, skunky and flowery hops. Moderate stingy hops bitterness lasts in the end

M: Light body and medium carbonation. Citrus and skunky hops bitterness aftertaste

O: Easy drinking British style session Ale. Could be better but still an honest one

3.15/5  rDev -6.5%

Poured from 500mL green bottle into a dimpled mug.

Appearance: murky, seductive orange hue. Good look, but head is a minimal layer of ivory foam.

Smell: malty with a light fruitiness, a light breadiness and a light yeastiness. The fruity character may be attributable to the hops, but it's hard to say. Not too bad for the style.

Taste: malt is fruity up front, but then exhibits some toasty character and drier maltiness. Bittermess is moderate, but hop flavor is minimal. Not terrible, but I don't love it.

Mouthfeel: light body with a very low carbonation. Nothing interesting here.

Overall: kind of a plain beer, with not much to recommend it. It's not bad, but it's just kind of boring and uninspired.

3.51/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Poured from Bottle to a pint glass

A- hazy burnt orange, big 1-2finger fluffy white head that sticks around for quite some time, very sexy

S- classic euro skunk on the nose, spicy hops, orange and lemon peel, and a nice biscuity malts.

T- buttery and sugary malts, some citrus hops

M- light, clean, watery, nice low bitter on the finish

O- nice EIPA, nothing too amazing but a decent session beer.

3.44/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy orange-copper body, thin white head, not much retention.

S: The smell of a loaf of fresh-baked bread filled the room as soon as I poured it. As it warms up I get biscuit, orange, and must.

T: Fairly malty. Definitely less bitter than an AIPA, but still a lot of citrus, more than I was expecting. Bitterness only really shows up at the end.

M: Not super carbonated but still very smooth. Dry on the back end.

It was a good beer, but not one I'm in a hurry to get again.

3.62/5  rDev +7.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle states 5.5% alcohol.

Pours a lovely amber body with copper tones and wispy white head.

Aromas of fresh cut flowers, hops and golden syrup.

Real big peppery flavours, real bitterness. Deeply hoppy without the slightest taste of grapefruit, not much in the way of citrus either yet zesty, very yeasty in some ways.

Easy going though a lightly more lively with the fizz than expected.

Big flavours and enjoyment, give it a whirl.

2.41/5  rDev -28.5%

Poured into pint glass

A-pours an amberish orange nice head

S-smells like way to much caramel with maybe a hint of honey. no hops.

T-sort of a grassy hop flavor, and bitterness with a ton of malt, cant really describe.

MF-a bit creamy, medium body.

O-not that good. Don't like the hop, or malt flavor to this one.

1.43/5  rDev -57.6%
look: 2.75 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.25 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.25

Green bottle from a local shop in Ann Arbor. Pours light golden with big fluffy white head. Aroma of skunk and hay, no hops to be found. Flavor follows with pure skunk flavor, dry finish, and a bit of hay. Mouthfeel is light. This is honestly one of the worst beers I have ever had.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

Amber colour with a small white head.

Smells of sweet hops, a hint of darker malts and some skunk.

Sweetish up front, some raisin, breadcrusty malts and a bitterness from British hops. Interesting. A more hoppy bitter.

Medium mouthfeel with good carbonation.

2.4/5  rDev -28.8%

Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into a Tennent's pint

Appearance: a golden yellow color with a large white head that faded rather fast and left little lacing.

Smells: has a subtle hop aroma that has hints of flowers.

Tastes: this ale is kind of strange tasting. I don't know if I am not accustomed to it but it has a pungent bitter hop note character that is sort of medicine like.

Mouthfeel: the aftertaste of this brew lingered and it wasn't the best. It has little carbonation that leads me to believe that it was expired or past best by date.

Overall: I bought this one because I have never tried it before and the bottle was quite intriguing, but I will pass up on their IPA again. I will try the other ones I saw like the cream stout from St. Peter's brewery in hopes that I like them more.

3.47/5  rDev +3%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

500ml bottle.

The beer pours a deep orange color with a finger of white head. Not much lacing. The aroma is English hops, a faint floral scent. Biscuity malt and a bit of caramel are evident as well. Taste is of bready malt and caramel up front. Mildly citrusy hops enter mid-palate. The finish is semi-sweet with a lingering bitterness. Quite nice. The beer is medium bodied with a nice medium level of carbonation. This is a pretty enjoyable beer. Great malt backbone and tasty hop profile make it quite drinkable and refreshing. I'd have this again.

2.42/5  rDev -28.2%

6oz pour->Sam Smith Mini-Nonic
A ~ Neat bottle. Pours golden orange with a soapy/sudsy looking head that is almost nonexistent.

S ~ Skunk, Grass, Stale bread & Biscuit. Does not smell that great.

T ~ Dirty rags, grainy malt, & dishwater at first sip. Yuck. Let open up for a few minutes to see if it would improve. Dry leaf, sweet dough, & a touch of peat. Hops are grassy & skunky. Not a good thing.

M ~ Mouthfeel was very dirty & gritty for a while. At near room temp more balance came into play.

D ~ This was very hard to drink until it warmed up substantially. I am a big fan of EIPAs, but Will definitely not revisit. I'm definitely thinking I got a lightstruck bottle...but why take the chance?

4.39/5  rDev +30.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This comes in an iconic ‘medicine’ bottle, tinted green, which is either a selling point or a cheap gimmick, depending on how you feel. That said, I’m entering this beer experience with no preconceptions, other than a hearty recommendation that finally convinced me to give it a try.

Gave this a hearty pour into a nonic pint glass. Received a healthy amount of foam initially that gradually died down to a solid finger’s worth of cushioning. The beer itself poured a golden-amber color, like dark honey almost, and just as murky. I found this surprising for an IPA as I expected more clarity. It’s not cloudy, and it’s not really murky, but it does appear to be similar to an unfiltered ale. Curious.

There’s a wonderful aroma to this. Very strong, as I can pick it up almost an arm’s length away. It’s very sweet, very pleasing, very soft and floral. I pick up a lot of honey (clove?) and a little malt biscuit. It’s delicious, just the aroma alone, and so enticing.
The taste is incredibly pleasant, as agreeable as the aroma. It’s nothing at all like what I’d expect from an IPA. Certainly my palate has been conditioned to expect, crisp, floral, and above all hoppy IPAs (West Coast hop bombs, anyone?) but this defies those expectations. The beer starts out smooth, and (again) sweet, then there’s this mellow middle and a sharp yet muted hop finish that begs for another sip. Some orange, a lot of zest. The kind of sweetness you might find in a double IPA, only without the chewy mouthfeel I associate with it. The carbonation sticks out, for it’s the closest a bottled beer that I’ve had in recent memory has reminded me of the better bitters I’ve had on hand-pump. In the same spirit I will say that the beer holds its own as it warms, releasing more of its malty sweetness. Definitely serve at its proper temperature as you’ll miss some of the nuances when it’s poured at refrigerator temperature.

I could share this with my beer geek friends and those who would never drink an IPA alike and I think both camps would be as happy as I am with it. It’s not a terribly complex beer, but it is incredibly delicious and drinkable. I poured half of my bottle to drink, saving the second half to finish with dinner. Instead, I let my meal get cold while I finished the rest of the beer. Not that it wouldn’t pair well, I just didn’t want anything else to distract from the flavor of this beer. Savored the pint over the course of an hour. It’s going to be hard to follow this one up with anything else I have available tonight. Delicious.

Revisited:
Saw a stamp on the back “11 03”. Made me wish I checked the first time I had this.

Definitely picking up a more pronounced hop profile on this bottle. The first time I had it I thought it was excellent, but not anything like the West Coast hop bomb IPA style that I’ve grown accustomed to—tho’ it did make me imagine that this was what a British-style (perhaps cask conditioned) IPA was actually like. Now I’m thinking the first bottle I had was just plain old. Thankfully not skunked. This is still great, but now with hops! Very citrusy, refreshing, light but flavorful hops.

3.58/5  rDev +6.2%

A 500ml bottle with a BB of Dec 2011. ABV is stated as 5.5%. The olive green bottle has an antique design, but is round rather than oval. A beer to celebrate IPA day!

Poured into a Sam Smith's glass. A rich golden-amber colour with low carbonation and good clarity. Yields a large off-white head of creamy foam that lasts for a couple of minutes before subsiding. Aroma of stewed hops/leaves with a backbone of caramel malt and a hint of ethanol and diacetyl.

Tastes of slightly sweet malt with a dry bitter finish. Notes of stewed hops, caramel/toffee and some buttery diacetyl in the background. Also a hint of alcohol/solvent. Hops are pleasantly bitter, but not aromatic. Mouthfeel is smooth, slick and tingly. Quite astringent. Aftertaste of bitter stewed hops.

A pretty good IPA in keeping with the English style, and nicely balanced. I wish it had more aromatic hops to round out the bitterness. The diacetyl is palatable but a bit of a flaw. Worth trying, but I reckon there are better examples out there.

After reading reviews, I gathered that this one is more of what an ESB should be, rather than anything Americans have become accustomed to identifying as an IPA. I also gathered that the hops and sweetness were out of whack, but I jumped at the chance to try a session beer that is uncompromisingly classic British.

I didn't make my purchase expecting to be blown away. It was more about the experience of experiencing something different. Maybe it's not sooo "different", but I have been blown away!

A- poured into a La Trappe goblet is appears a deep and glowing amber nearly transparent. The depth suggests a malty beer, but it moves fairly freely. It's capped by a cloud of froth. Very appetizing.

A- Here's a two for one. It begins smelling the way the roses I just bought for my mother OUGHT to smell. Very floral, to the point of passing for perfume. As the beer warms, and the flavors settle, a toasted bread aroma prevails. The scent of buttered fresh bread floods the nose, and then a hint of mustiness creeps in to give the scent extra life. Some esters associated with English ales peek through, as well.
In some ways this beer smells like a Trippel before the yeast sting.

T- Juicy as much as malty. Far, far more like an American Pale Ale than the standard English Bitter. The hops are biting, but not offensive. The malt flavor will emerge as the beer rises towards room temperature, but never achieves the chewiness of German Lagers. The hops are too familiar, so I suspect the English varietals have influenced American breeds that much, or some American hops were utilized. Bitterness spikes in the finish, but the beer remains very well put together. I have had American Pale Ales that were stronger, but far flabbier.

The malt balance of this beer is exemplary of perfection. Hops are showcased (without violating any sense of acceptability), but the malt holds more status than merely a serving as a vehicle for featuring hop decadence. The malt is enjoyable, and as the beer drinks, the malt's aroma, mouthfeel and aroma don't simply hold the beer together, they cause it to standout.

M- Fullness: this beer's hallmark character. For all the flavor and relatively insubstantial ABV, this beer manages to provide a body that carries the depth of flavor and finish dry. It's similar to the consummate Lager.

O- I feel this beer's labeling does it more injustice than the marketing manager could have ever perceived. Perhaps most grab this off the shelf expecting an irregularity. They hope it'll be a relic of the past, or an answer to check a dominating trend. It's not that at all and it doesn't have to be. It's unfortunate if many were left disappointed after hopes were dashed. But for those who pick this beer open to whatever it might hold as a beer, they will be very pleased. It's easy drinking, and profoundly enjoyable.
It remains session strength and doesn't threaten to incapacitate the palate. It's just enough, and for that it leaves me wanting more, more, more!

I should add: I first became aware of St. Peter's when I saw their Porter... at the time I was drinking a lot of Belgian Strong Pale Ales and Tripples. In that light, the porter was roasty, full-bodied and sweet. Since then, I've found it think and nearly insipid. I don't dislike it, but I prefer fuller-bodied examples of the style. That demonstrates how relative tastes can be.
St. Peter's IPA has far exceeded their other products, in my book. I count this, now, among my favorite beers.

7/24

3.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3

A: The beer is clear light copper in color and has a light amount of visible carbonation. It poured with a thin off white head that quickly died down leaving delicate lacing covering the surface.
S: There are light to moderate aromas of grassy and herbal hops in addition to fruity yeast in the nose.
T: Like the smell, the taste has some notes of fruits from the yeast and hints of caramel malts. There is a light amount of bitterness from the hops.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a bit crisp on the palate with a low to moderate amount of carbonation. There is some dryness in the finish.
O: The beer is easy to drink, but I wouldn’t consider it to be sessionable (despite the low alcohol content) because the taste doesn’t capture my interest long enough to have more than one of these in a sitting.

4.32/5  rDev +28.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle. 5.5% abv best before 9/2011

Crystal clear light golden/amber color. Thin, just off white head. Medium carbonation. Nothing spectacular in the appearance but the important parts are yet to come.

Big honey and floral aroma. Surprisingly syrupy and malty sweet. Feel like I should drizzle this on my pancakes at breakfast. Nice but not in the way I expected.

Big malty sweet flavor with a pleasant hop hit. Probably at the limit of balance between drinkability and still having enough going on to make it interesting. Really nice spicy hop presence.

Well well well. This beer really delivers where it has to. Seriously enjoyable and well made. Reinforcing my admiration for English ales, especially the ipa.

3.41/5  rDev +1.2%

Dark amber almost copper with white foamy head that stays around. Subtle aroma that's undeniably English: wood, herbal, dough reminiscent of unsweetened cookies, slight mugwort. Muggy flavors of herbs, dough, dirt and grass, soft malt sweetness makes an appearance, toffee, slight citrus note towards the finish with some welcomed hop presence. Dry and lasting bitterness. Thick body with light carbonation. This transports me to old England. I'm enjoying the trip.

St. Peter's India Pale Ale from St. Peter's Brewery Co Ltd